• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 600 Views, 2 Comments

Notes Of Time - MLPxMaestro



A new life paves way for others, and will even influence and impact others as time goes on. Vinyl reveals things she had for somepony, and Maestro encounters ponies he hadn't met in years. Tragedy stikes a certain family member and other occure

  • ...
0
 2
 600

Chapter Seven- Train Adventures

Notes Of Time

Chapter 7- Train Adventures:

The train continued to chug along the tracks for about a couple of hours now, and Octave was bored out of her mind. Maestro could be sort of a kid at heart depending on the situation, so his daughter wasn’t alone when it came to boredom. Octave was sitting back about two rows behind them, making little designs on the fog that had gathered up on her window.

“Ugh! When are we going to be there?” Maestro groaned.

“It will be quite some time before we arrive there dear. Besides, you have me right beside you to be occupied with.” Said Octavia in a charming and cute tone of her voice.

“You do know that Octave’s just two rows behind us right?” he chuckled slightly.

“Correct, but there’s not another soul in this car with us other than her. We’re the only ones heading off to San Palomino on this train. The other passengers are riding on the other railcars behind ours.” She replied.

“I like how you have refinement in public, and yet you still enjoy having a good balance of romance along with it.”

“And to think I do this all because I love you.” Octavia giggled, continuing to look right into his eyes. The energy of her soft purple eyes mixed in with his feelings of curiosity, as she seemed to drive his thoughts to a romantic sense.

“Octave will be getting her own room, since Vinyl likes to be the coolest ‘Aunt’ so-to- speak, right?”

“Indubitably.” Octavia nodded a bit.

“Well…how about we just take it easy for now, heh.”

“Of course, that’s seems lovely.” Octavia replied once more, as she then faced the front when she began hearing their daughter walk up to their seat.

“Mom, dad? How much longer will it be?” Octave asked circling her hoof on the floor in front of her in a bored fashion.

“Octave, you know you are supposed to remain in your seat whenever the train is in motion, understood?” her mother spoke up.

“Yes mother…” she sighed, and then trailed off making her way back to her own seat she had been sitting in for the past two hours or so.

Octave kept lying in the seat, for every minute to her felt like an hour, and every hour felt like a day. Her mind was thinking about nothing else but her home and her BFF, Stardust. She wondered why Stardust still seemed down about her mother? Did her mother perhaps get into drugs? Hopefully not, knowing Canterlot ponies only drank occasionally or at those cool Canterlot suaires (parties). She wanted to have a little fun until they arrived to their destination, which was still a long way off.

“Hmm…will dad vouch for me if I get into trouble?” she thought. “Oh what am I kidding, of course he will, he’s got my back on everything it seems. He always seems to take the blame for me. But again though, he might not.”

So after thinking about it for a good five minutes, and a few other things after getting sidetracked in her mind here and there, she now made efforts to sneak out of the railcar.

“Hmm…are they watching?” Octave slowly poked her head up from the seat she was in, and noticed that mom and dad were still talking away.

“Okay, here’s my chance.” She quickly, and at the same time, quiet as she could, crept her way over to the door that led to the other train car. The door slowly open, and a little squeak made off from the door being opened, but her parents didn’t seem to pay much attention to the noise. She heard a brief break in their speech, but it was because they were simply talking about another topic of something she could probably care less about.

The door then swung open, and she could see the hooks and links that kept the cars together in-between them. She carefully walked over the area, and head into the second car, which was behind their car.

She noticed several ponies looked back at her as she entered from the loud noise of the railcars clacking down the track.

“Um…hi.” She waved awkwardly, but continued making her way down the rows of seats. The passengers knew for a fact she was not one of them, but they still seemed too lazy or really mind either way.

“Phew, I thought one of them was going to let the conductor know about me or something…well then.” She said to herself quietly, trying to avoid disturbing the least among of passengers as she could through her exploring.

She continued to slowly walk down the rows of seats, and saw that some of these passengers were from places and cities she had never heard of. Octave even saw a suitcase that had a Saddle Arabia sticker on it. She had absolutely no clue where that place was, but she heard about it in her school. A foreign exchange student was from that country in one of her classes.
She then made it to the back of the second car, and looked back at all of the passengers. She noticed a colt waving back at her, and he looked kind of cute to her, but she had an adventure to carry on with, so she could currently care less.

“Well this was an interesting crowd.” Said Octave. With that said, she then opens the door up to the third car. She takes her time walking over to the next railcar, careful to not fall off. She takes a slight slip on her last step, but she still manages to get across comfortably.

Just as Octave made it into the third cart, she saw a group of five friends, who were acting like they had known each other for a long time…a decade at least. A few passengers here and there could be seen in the seats ahead of her, but her eyes seemed to be focused on one pony in particular. She was a lavender colored alicorn sitting up, having her two forelegs over the top of one of the seats, and looking back to talk to one of her alleged friends.

She approached them steadily, and asked why she seemed different than the rest.

“Um…excuse me…ma’am?”

The five ponies then stopped, and all turned to face her. Octave seemed awfully nervous now, wondering what would happen next. For a moment, she then thought she may have been caught, or was in trouble by some chance.

“Well look at you little filly…you and your manners nonetheless. That’s something you don’t see everyday from a filly your age, am I right girls?” said a pretty white unicorn, as the mare then looked back at the group. Their friend Pinkie had an important party event to plan, which was the reason she couldn’t tagalong with them.

“Who are you to be exact? What’s your name?” the lavender alicorn then stepped out of her seat and stood in front of her curiously, and with a smile.

“My name is Octave, uh…but aren’t you a um…princess or something?” Octave asks.

“I am in fact, my name is Twilight Sparkle by the way, nice to meet you!” the alicorn replied.

“Are ya lost? Do ya need help findin yer mommah or daddy?” an orange earth pony spoke up.

“Nah, I know where they are, and I don’t call them by those names anymore really.” Octave answered back.

“Where are they then might I ask? Because I don’t think it would be ideal for you to be separated from your parents while this train is in motion.” said Twilight.

“Now Twilight, be a dear and let this little filly have her adventures.” The white unicorn then leaned in whispering to her in a form of a question to be sure. “You are just doing a little exploring like most your age would is that correct?”

“Yes ma’am.” Octave mildly nodded.

“Ooh what manners! I love a pony that has manners, or is refined. I can certainly tell your parents have raised you well. My name is Rarity by the way, and it is a pleasure to meet you erm…Octave, is that correct?”

“Yes ma’am, again.” She giggled slightly.

“Well I’m charmed, I’d certainly love to meet your parents if they’re around darling.”

“They’re up at the first car.”

The group then lightly gasped.

“They’re what?! Oh good heavens you poor thing, how in Equestria did you manage to make it from car to car?!” Rarity asked with sympathy in her voice.

“Uh…I walked across the links that kept them together? It wasn’t really that hard actually.” Octave shrugged.

“But what if you fell off dear?!” Rarity then gasped to herself once more. “It would be horrible if that happened!”

“You’re starting to sound a little like my grandma.”

The group then began to laugh at Octave’s funny remark, making Rarity feel a bit old after that.

“But, but…I’m not old…I’m young!” Rarity then went right into Rainbow Dash’s face momentarily. “I’m still young and fabulous, right?!” she asked, grabbing part of her mane, and trying to put on a pretty face.

“Uh…sure you are…why would you not be?” Rainbow Dash replied with a shrug of her own.

“Oh thank goodness, I was beginning to lose it there.” Said Rarity.

“Haha! You’re funny Miss Rarity! I bet my mother would enjoy knowing you.” Said Octave. This caught Rarity’s ears, and she immediately then turned around facing back towards her.

“You…you think I’m funny?” Rarity then put a hoof over her heart, feeling sort of touched by the remark of a pony she didn’t even know very well.

“Of course…you’re really pretty too! You’re pretty just like my mother.”

“Aww, well don’t think you’re not pretty yourself Octave, I’m sure you get a few cute colts here and there to look at you, don’t you?” Rarity giggled playfully.

“Uh, no, not really.” Octave replied with a serious expression on her face.

“Oh…well no worries, you’ll find love soon enough, you just have to be patient.”

“Mom said that love at my age is something to not really count on much. She said I could focus on that stuff more when I get a little bit older.” Said Octave.

“Oh, right, of course dear, heh. After all, mother’s know what’s best for their children.”

“So who is this mother of yours? What’s her name if I may ask?” Twilight wondered.

“Her name is Octavia, her full name is Octavia Melody.” Said Octave. She then took a seat next to Rarity, as Applejack kindly gestured to her she could sit there after she moved next to Twilight.

“Hmm…I know a lot of ponies around Canterlot and Ponyville, and Octavia surprisingly enough seems to ring a bell. What does she do exactly?”

“She’s really good at playing the cello, and I play the violin. I’ve played the violin ever since I was a little filly. Now I’m old enough to use my cousin Fiddly Faddle’s full sized violin, or well her nickname is Fiddlesticks, heh.” After Octave said this, Applejack quickly asked her a question

“Wait a second now…did you just say one of your cousins is named Fiddly Faddle?” AJ asked.

“Yeah, why?”

“Well I’ll be darned, that makes us kin!” she said happily.

“No way! You’re related to Fiddly Faddle too?!”

“You bet your sweet apples I am, Octave! She’s been to many Apple Family reunions year after year!”

“Oh wow, this is so cool! That means you’re one of my cousins, this is just…I don’t know what to say!” Octave exclaimed, jumping up and down in place, the rest of the group smiling at a great site of new discovery.

“Well I suppose I got nuthin else ta say really, other than…welcome to the Apple family cousin!”

Octave then ran up to Applejack, hugging her apparent new addition to her own family too.

“Well Applejack, this is just too cool ya know!? Who would have ever thought you have a cousin that lives in Canterlot!” said Rainbow Dash.

A few more hours had passed, and a voice on the intercom came up.

“Excuse me fillies and gentlecolts, but we apparently have a missing filly on board by the name of Octave. If you know where this filly is on the train, please contact me the conductor up at the front car, thank you.” The intercom then shuts off with a click.

“Well then, heh…I guess I better be on my way back then.”

“I suppose so…well we had a great time meeting you Octave! You can now tell your mother that you got to meet a princess I suppose.” Twilight smiled waving back to her as she saw Octave make her way back to the second railcar.

“I sure will Princess Twilight! Thanks so much for letting me hang out with all of you! I hope I get to come over and visit my new cousin Applejack one day.”

“Aw shucks, you will one day, just not today. But if ya ever do, me and my family down at the farm would be more than happy ta see ya.” AJ replied with a grin.

“Wait a second…can’t you come along with me back to where I am? Because I still have a long way to go.”

“Well bless your little heart…where to?” Fluttershy spoke up softly.

“It’s called San Palomino, we’re meeting a good friend of my mother’s. Her name is Vinyl Scratch, and I consider her my aunt sort of…and she’s the coolest aunt ever!”

“Vinyl Scratch?! You mean Dj-Pon3?!” Pinkie gasped, as she invaded Octave’s personal space.

“Um…yes?”

“Oh wow, this is incredible! She Dj’s at some of my parties sometimes, and yeah she’s the bomb!” exclaimed Pinkie, raising her front forelegs in the air dramatically.

“That’s so cool! I hope I can go to one of the parties she Dj’s at, cause I wanna see her in action!” Octave smiled.

“Dear, why don’t you try an alternative, rather than tread upon those shaky links and cables, and such that keep these cars together, hm? Twilight, surely you have a spell that can possibly take her back to the front car safely?” Rarity asked, not wanting to take chances on a sweet filly like Octave to get hurt.

“Um, well…I haven’t used it much, but I believe I still know how to use it. It is a spell that can transport you safely back to the front car where you parents are. Long story short, it’s a teleportation spell for the cast upon, not the caster.” Twilight chuckled slightly.

“Wooow! You can do that?! Oh please, oh please, oh please do that on me?!” Octave’s curiosity went through the roof, as she was interested in magic in action now.

“Okay, well, I need a good bit of concentration please, so just stand still okay?” Twilight’s horn began to give off a soft purple glow. A brief flash of light shown in front of her in the form of an orb as it got bigger and bigger. The orb slowly got closer to Octave, but she knew that Twilight surely wasn’t about to mess up? A princess wouldn’t surely mess up right? Twilight had tiny doubts it may not work, but she had faith it would, even though it was a spell she used seldom.

With a final bright flash of the orb, a link of magical energy then swirled around Octave, and the filly disappeared into thin air.

“Well…I think she’s in good hooves now.” Said Twilight.

“Heeeelp meeeeee! Mooooooom!!!!” Octave screamed at the top of her lungs, as she was on top of the roof of the railcar her parents were in. The wind rushed past her entire body, and was messing up her mane a bit, but she was obviously worried and focused on surviving at the moment. She for the most part squinted her eyes, and covered her ears, since the loud wind was just making her panic even more. She saw a hatch that looked like an escape hatch on the roof.
She got closer and closer to what it was, and she was right. It was an escape hatch, though she was locked from the outside. She kicked and screamed out from the roof, and her voice was well muffled by the sound of the train clacking down the track, followed by the wind rushing past her.

“Do…do you hear something?” Maestro wondered, looking every which way.

“Is it my Octave? Oh Celestia where is she? Surely a good soul would have told the conductor by now, but I haven’t seen anypony in the past half hour!” Octavia cried a bit, worried sick over her one and only daughter.

“Moooooooom!!!!!” a greatly muffled voice screamed out again.

“What the? Is that…is that voice Octave? Does that sound like-”

“Daaaaaaad!!!!!!”

“Mother of Celestia it is! But where is she!?” Maestro then looked around the railcar attentively.

“Oh please find her Maestro! Octave?! Octave angel where are you?!” Octavia called out.

Octave couldn’t hear them from her side, due to the fact she had the worst part of the noise level, and they had a quiet interior. So she could think of nothing else but continuing to try and get their attention.

“Moooooom! Daaaaad! I’m scaaaared!” Octave cried, feeling the most scared she has probably ever felt in her life. Thinking that they couldn’t hear her, and she would be stuck on the train’s roof the rest of the way.

Maestro kept looking around, and noticed an escape hatch at the top of the ceiling.

“Can you give me a boost Octavia?”

“Yes. If I can that is.” Octavia struggled to lift Maestro up to the latch, but he luckily grabbed a hold of it.

“Aaaand, yes! Gotcha!” said Maestro relieved, as he opened it up, he couldn’t believe who he saw crying her eyes out.

“Daaaaad!!!!” Octave quickly crawled over to him to avoid being caught up by the wind, and cried hard into the top of his chest.

“Shhhh, it’s okay, daddy’s gotcha.” He stroked her mane, bringing her down from the roof, and falling sort of hard onto the floor.

“Oof! Gotcha girl!” Maestro then let go of her, and let her get herself up off the floor after he cushioned her fall with him almost entirely.

“Thank Celestia you’re okay!” said Octavia, quickly walking over to her.

“Mooom!” Octave then ran into her mother’s loving embrace, crying into her side.

“No more mom, no more train adventures!” she cried.

“I-I beg your pardon?”

“I met a new cousin, and a princess too. I…I even met a real pretty white unicorn who I think you could be good friends with.” Said Octave through sniffles of her little nose. She wiped her face clean of tears as they flowed down her face, and looked back up at Octavia with a happy face. It was like a face of relief, yet of satisfaction as well.

“Met a princess? You met a new cousin? What in Equestria are you talking about angel?”

“Um…can I sit down and tell you?”

“Of course dear, we have all the time in the world.” Said Octavia, still wanting to comfort her little girl throughout that bad time of her life.

The three of them then sat down in the same seat, as Octave sat next to her mother, cuddled up beside her. Maestro sat next to his daughter listening to every word she said with interest, as Octavia did the same no doubt.