• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 600 Views, 2 Comments

Notes Of Time - MLPxMaestro



A new life paves way for others, and will even influence and impact others as time goes on. Vinyl reveals things she had for somepony, and Maestro encounters ponies he hadn't met in years. Tragedy stikes a certain family member and other occure

  • ...
0
 2
 600

Chapter Five- One For the Scrapbook

Notes Of Time:

Chapter 5- One For the Scrapbook:

It had reached that certain time in life that was only a matter of time for them. She was almost in her teenage years, and twelve years of age to be precise. Her and Stardust were still great friends, but Octave knew that Stardust hadn’t exactly seemed too happy with her mother for the past few years or so. Octave asked why she seemed so down about the subject regarding her mother, but Stardust never wanted the subject talked over. Stardust wasn’t going to show that to her best friend however whenever they hung out together.

Octave’s father, Maestro, now had his own music shop, and just opened not too long ago. Her loving mother, Octavia, had decided to become a music teacher as a hobby, and she gave private music lessons to young pupils in Canterlot at the comfort of their own home. At least it would give them some extra cash flow, considering she would get paid by the hour for giving them lessons.

Vinyl Scratch had been managing to find time to hang out with Octavia’s daughter more, and was actually pretty well tolerated around Octave and Stardust, despite her being a good bit older than the other two. Her touring days were over, and she didn’t find as much use in it as she used to when she toured with her partner Neon Lights, or Rising Star as his real name was. She still however continued to act the same way she had always been ever since her and Octavia first met that one night at a Canterlot nightclub, always young at heart.
Starlight’s own daughter, Comet Trail, by now was still too young, but she had been placed into the hooves of a great foalsitter in Cloudsdale by the name of Flitter.

So as the chapter starts off, Vinyl Scratch had an interesting place to head off to, and she wanted everypony to come along this time. She wanted to have a vacation that none of them would ever forget.


It was most ponies’ favorite time of the year…summer time! Many ponies couldn’t wait to finally set off on vacations to make memories that would last a lifetime. For Octavia and Maestro, they were actually beginning to pack for a vacation that Vinyl had prepared for everypony, even extra friends if they wanted to bring them along. Despite ponies not wearing much clothes at all to begin with, there really wasn’t that much to pack. They wondered what it could be, but Vinyl unfortunately would not tell them, and only asked them to meet her in San Palomino at a five-star Hoofton (Hilton) hotel she marked for them on a map. She also managed to easily reserve rooms for everypony that was going on the trip with her, though Vinyl was unsure as to how many friends Octavia and Maestro had…probably not any if she knew them and their ‘romancing’.

It was three in the morning, and as stated before, Octavia and Maestro were packing up to head out. Unfortunately, Octave was still asleep, and Maestro was not in the mood to begin with, especially so early in the morning. They had to go to sleep as early as seven in the afternoon the night before the trip to be sure, but Octave was up late at her friend Stardust’s house until eleven that night.

“Did Vinyl have to plan this at a ridiculous time as this? Why couldn’t she just go ahead and head out with us at the train station?” Maestro asked with a bit of grumpiness in his voice.

“Reasons are I’d say she probably needed to get down there before all of us, and check the reservations to make sure everything is in order.” Octavia answered him.

Maestro’s tired eyes then looked over towards their bedroom door that was cracked, and led to the second bathroom in the hallway that was lit, which was pretty much Octave’s. The bathroom’s light had apparently been left on all night to his realization, since he didn’t recall it being cut on when he and Octavia went off to bed extra early.

“I’ll uh…I’ll wake Octave up.” He said, before making his way out into the hallway.

“Of course…and I will wait for you downstairs okay?”

“Yep…” he trailed off.

Maestro then arrived just outside of Octave’s bedroom door after he flipped off the light to the second bathroom, and boy would that run up the electric bill.

“Octave…sweetie?” his tired voice carried over to her bed as he stood at her bedroom entrance.

“Mmm…what is it?” she answered tired toned. Octave was no morning pony, just as her father was with mornings too. She was also a teeny bit of a tomboy on some things, but most her age would be more explorative on things to begin with than any other part of a pony’s life. Overall though, she had still been very well raised. She had a big heart and a kind personality, and still had the refinement in her that her mother had raised her within society.

“Oh…you’re awake?” Maestro was surprised.

“Yeah…I couldn’t really sleep.” She replied, turning the other way in her bed to prevent the light in the hallway from shining on her face.

“Well…today’s the day sweetie, and we will be heading out in a little while. So it would be best if you got up already, okay? He said.

“Okay, just…just ten more minutes or something.”

“Okay ten more minutes…and then I’m using the cold washrag.”

“No! Okay fine…I’m up, I’m up.” She quickly rose out of her bed; her mane was all a mess, and her bowtie still on her neck but backwards.

Maestro’s face then formed a slight smile, as he then closed her bedroom door for her to wake up.

Octave smacked her mouth, and realized her mouth still tasted like that sugary candy her and Stardust ate while sharing rumors and discussing what was in now and such. Not much important news really happened around such an amazing city as Canterlot was surprisingly enough. Mostly it was usually the same stuff with parties and all that.

“Octave dear, come on down now, we are leaving in one half hour!” Octavia yelled to her from downstairs in the kitchen with Maestro.

“Yeah, come on down and get you some breakfast before he head off to the train station!”

“I’m- oof! Okay…ouch that hurt…coming down mother!” she raised her voice, bumping her head by accident into one of the corners of the bathroom doorway.

“Sometimes I wonder if there’s a pony out there who’s more clumsy or something? Heh…I bet she’s a Pegasus.” Octave then thought of her friend Stardust, who unfortunately wasn’t going with her on the trip. However, the idea then sparked her mind, though still unsure on whether or not she would even be able to make it to the station by the time the train even left. Chances are even though she thought about it, Stardust wouldn’t probably be able to go either way.

“I’d probably be too late…darn it.” She said to herself.

“Octave! Your breakfast is getting…oh wait never mind, it’s cereal…” Maestro called out, lowering his voice enough for her to not hear him, as he would’ve ended up embarrassing himself there.

“I know dad, I’m coming!” she replied once more.

She arrived downstairs minutes later, and now with only ten minutes to spare for her to eat breakfast.

“Well then…so much for down in a minute.” Maestro said jokingly.

“Okay, maybe I needed a bit more time.” Octave replied.

“You were up there for twenty minutes.”

“Okay…I needed twenty minutes to get ready.” She said.

“To simply do the necessities of starting your day?”

Octave then looked away, then partially facing back towards Maestro from across the table.

“Um…yes…” she spoke up softly.

“Well then…you’re going to be a blast to care of when you’re older.”

“Maestro!” Octavia raised her voice.

“Okay, okay…she wins.” He rolled his eyes.

“Hah, I almost always win! Mom’s got my back, right mother?” Octave then looked over at her mother preparing a few things to take along in the cooler on the kitchen counter.

“Don’t push it young lady.” Octavia chuckled.

“Darn…”

“Hah, I win this time little lady.” Maestro added.

“You lose just like her too dear…I get my way with you.” Octavia winked back at him, subliminally implying to him of what she meant by that.

“You certainly do…and you’re awfully great at it too.” He replied smiling, followed by him raising an eyebrow back at her.

“Aged to perfection dear.” Octavia giggled.

“I have no idea what you two are even talking about?” Octave spoke up.

“Eh, it’s no big deal…maybe when you’re older you’ll understand.” Said Maestro.

“Yeahhh…riiiiight.” Octave rolled her eyes, still continuing to eat her breakfast with post haste.

The ten minutes had passed, as Maestro and his family were out of the house, and on their way to the train station for the early morning departure. Everything had been packed and loaded onto a cab they managed to call after walking a few blocks with all of the suitcases and such.

They then later arrived at Canterlot Station, as a good willed tourist who was luckily a unicorn heading out of Canterlot, helped them unpack and load their things onto a cart that one of them could either push or pull into the building. It was a ‘dreadful’ four suitcases total that they had.

“Thank you so much sir!” said Octavia happily, after their things were loaded and pulled into the building by Maestro.

“You’re welcome…say…I think I know you come to think of it?” the unicorn pony rose an eyebrow asking.

“Um…you do?” Octavia wondered curiously. She then quickly looked back at Octave standing and looking back up to her wondering what all of this was about.

“I sure do! You’re name’s Octavia! I have another friend that simply adores you and well…other things, heh.” The pony looked off scratching the back of his head, feeling awfully embarrassed

“Erm…okay? What is your name exactly?” she asked him.

“Oh, my name is John…John Hays, me and my other friend Nickel Less think you’re and incredible pony! I think he’s around here somewhere...He’ll probably be here later on I’d say, since he had to rent a hotel room for a few nights in Canterlot. But anyways, yeah! We love your music, and you have such great natural beauty for a pony such as yourself.” He smiled a bit, but still feeling a bit odd right then and there.

“Uh-huh…thanks then, I suppose?” she then felt awkward, as she looked back towards Maestro up at the front counter getting their tickets to set off for San Palomino in under an hour.

“Well uh, it was nice to meet you I suppose, but me, my daughter, and husband are heading off to San Palomino in a little while.”

“San Palomino…we’re heading there too!”

“You are?!” Octavia hoping he was joking.

“I’m kidding!” the pony laughed, after heading off into another direction to help break up the awkwardness considering she was married, and he was possibly flirting with her, but chances were though that wasn’t the case. He was just a good willed, good spirited pony, and a good sense of humor.

“Oh…right.” She then caught herself laughing along with him a tiny bit.

“I like him, he’s funny!” Octave giggled.

Before Octavia could head off anywhere else, Maestro was already caught up to her back down the stairs to the entrance.

“Okay, here’s your ticket…and your ticket too little missy.”

“Little missy? I’m not that young anymore dad.” Octave looked at the ticket then back up to him.

“I’m only teasing, and yes you’re definitely no little filly anymore. But you’ll always be my little girl to me in my eyes.” Maestro nuzzled her.

“I know.” She grinned.

Maestro however stopped then for a second time, as he seemed to possibly recall somepony he could’ve swore he’s known about in his life.

“Um…excuse me…sir?” he asked the pony, the pony then quickly turned around.

“Yes? What is it?” it was the same pony that had talked to Octavia just moments ago, and yet he felt like he knew him.

“Um…the name’s Maestro.” The two then shared a hoofshake with each other.

“John…John Hays sir, a pleasure to meet you.” He replied.

“Wait…John Hays?”

“Yes sir…why does that name seem to intrigue…you…by Luna’s moon…you’re…” the pony stopped himself, not saying anything else.

“We…we used to be friends in high school!” Maestro exclaimed.

“By Luna’s second moon! Wait, does that make sense? Oh what do I care…but my goodness it’s you, Maestro!”

“I can’t believe it’s been so long since we’ve seen each other! It feels like we’ve met each other in pony for the first time too!” Maestro replied.

“I know right?! This is incredible! How coincidental is this?!” Hays laughed.

“Point taken dude…well how’s it been all of these years? Wait a moment…don’t tell me…you and Nickel Less still like brothers?”

“The coolest and classiest bros in Equestria ever! I’m actually waiting for him to arrive in a little while here at the front entrance. He said he’d never been in Canterlot, so I figured why not? Let’s vacation over to there, know what I mean?” said Hays.

“I know what you mean dude, but it’s just too good to be true that you’re here right now in front of me.”

“I could be a ghost? Either that, or maybe you’re even high on drugs?” Hays laughed again.

“Hahahahaha- no…I don’t do drugs.”

“And you never will…that decision will get you far in life my good sir. Like how I say it, good choices get you a good mind, which gets you the good stuff…if you know what I mean?” Hays then elbowed Maestro into his side, and looked over at the beautiful example of a pony known as Octavia.

“You do know that’s my wife right?”

“Oh…wait a moment…you?” Hays then quickly panned back to Octavia, then back to Maestro.

“Uh-huh.” Maestro nodded.

“Her?”

“Oh yeah…”

“Got it done?!”

“You know it…”

“Had the most adorable filly I’ve ever seen?!”

“Pretty much…”

“Then stuck the marriage like a pro!?”

“Yes, yes, and did I mention yes? But definitely no pro.” Maestro smiled.

“Daaaaaang dude! You lucky son of a-” Before Hays could finish, Maestro swiftly covered his mouth followed by a gesture of him pointing back to his daughter behind him just meters away.

“Oh, right…filly in the radius, heh. Well, that’s awesome and all…at least you’re not a Mary Sue…riiiiight?” Hays chuckled.

“Dude…I nearly died twice…or was it three times? I can’t remember, but yeah I served in the Equestria military. Believe me, I have my flaws.” Maestro chuckled.

“So did I! I was a sniper for Manehatten’s forces. You could say it didn’t last very long where I was.”

“Because of you?” Maestro joked with him.

“Eh, not really… it’s just because our forces were just awesome like that.”

The more they talked, the more Octave just wanted to move around more, since she didn’t like to stand in one place for a long period of time. Maestro looked back at Octavia and Octave, and gestured to them that they could go on and head inside if they wanted, and that he would catch up to them when it was time for him to.

“Well Hays, how about we head inside? I’m sure we could still catch up on some things in there right? Plus, I think Nickel Less would obviously through common sense, check in here too.” Maestro stated, as they both made their way into the station lobby.

“Of course, sounds good to me!” Hays replied.