• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 600 Views, 2 Comments

Notes Of Time - MLPxMaestro



A new life paves way for others, and will even influence and impact others as time goes on. Vinyl reveals things she had for somepony, and Maestro encounters ponies he hadn't met in years. Tragedy stikes a certain family member and other occure

  • ...
0
 2
 600

Chapter Three- Octave's Birthday

Notes Of Time:

Chapter 3- Octave’s Birthday:

A distinct noise of a bird could be heard chirping softly just outside of Maestro and Octavia’s bedroom.

The bird continued chirping, but it seemed to get louder, and started to bother Maestro since he was not a morning pony.

“Cheep-cheep-cheep!”

“Shut up please.” he mumbled.

“Cheep-tweet-cheep!”

“Please be quiet.” He mumbled a second time. The conversation continued back and forth, with the bird obviously not caring in the slightest either.

Maestro then immediately got up out of bed. Octavia was still asleep, as the sounds of nature didn’t bother her as bad as it did Maestro. He then opened up the window, and yelled at it.

“Shut uuuuup!”

The bird then stopped and stared at him and his remark.

“Wanna do it again? Go ahead…I dare you!”

The bird then started up again.

“Okay fine, fine! You win…for the twelfth bucking time!” he yelled out to it again.

The sudden loud noise caused Octavia to rise up out of bed and look over at him.

“Sweetie…is…oh…that bird disturbing you again is it?” she mustered up out of a tired tone of her voice.

“Uh you think? This bird has been driving me crazy for the past week and a half! I swear it’s been stalking me on my way to work.” He replied, as he continued to glare back at the bird with it not caring in the slightest.

“If you think it’s stalking you, then why don’t you file a restraining order against it? Maybe the local guards won’t think you’re crazy at all complaining about a petty little bird outside your window. Come to think of it, you might even be recognized as a city hero for stopping such an enormous disturbance.” She spoke up and stated with sarcasm plain as day in her voice now, but Maestro too tired still to catch onto her tone.

“You know, that’s exactly what I’ll-- hold on a minute?!” he then turned around to see her giggling right at him and his early morning intellect.

“Okay, well hey I might not be the brightest pony in Canterlot in the mornings, but I know sarcasm when I hear it.”

“Apparently you didn’t this time.” She continued on.

A silence fell in the bedroom, as he felt too lazy to even think until he had his breakfast.

“…I’m taking a shower.” He walked off, deciding to just let her win this one for the time being.

After coming downstairs feeling freshened up from a shower, he saw Octave had been woke up too. She quickly looked back at her daddy with her favorite cereal stuffed in her face.

“Mowing wawwy!”

“Mouth young lady.” He replied smiling, almost laughing at the site.

Octave then quickly chewed up the food in her mouth and swallowed to repeat what she said to him.

“Morning daddy!”

“Morning birthday girl!” he nuzzled her, followed by a kiss on her forehead.

“Well, thank Celestia I always have the weekends off to myself.” He said, as he hovered over the incredible aroma of Octavia making breakfast for the both of them.

“Yourself you say? Just what might you have planned out for yourself today?”

“I have a little plan to check in on a little something I’ve been working on back at the music store.” He winked back at her.

“Oh of course, you need to deal with that right away in fact…is it finished though?”

“Oh it certainly is, and it looks amazing! It puts my…I mean it would make anypony jealous if they had one.” He corrected himself, almost slipping up about his gift he had made for Octave.

“Sounds splendid Maestro, what do you think angel?” Octavia then looked back over to Octave.

“Can I come with you to the music store please? I wanna see what you made!” Octave smiled, before stuffing her face with another bite of cereal.

“Well…I don’t know about that, but…okay I suppose it wouldn’t hurt. It is your birthday today after all.” He winked back at Octavia.”

“Yes please!” she replied, knowing she knew her mother appreciated it whenever she used her manners.

“Good girl, I am pleased to know you are using your manners, even for daddy.” Said Octavia.

“I only do it cause it makes you and daddy happy when I’m like a big girl!”

“Oh but it won’t be long before that either, now finish your breakfast and we’ll head over there.” Maestro added, as he grabbed his coat and settled down at the table with a plate of delicious food prepared that morning.

The minutes passed on by just like that, and Octave was ready to go.

“Well me and Octave will be back in a little while okay?”

“Okay, you two be careful, dress warmly Octave dear!” Octavia raised her voice from upstairs just before she was about to get her shower in for the day.

“Is this warm enough?”

“Uh…I think a little too warm.” Maestro couldn’t help but laugh at the site of Octave having to poke her head up from the marshmallowy looking coat that covered her body. She got it last year from her granny for her fourth birthday, but she forgot what size her granddaughter was, and got something two sizes too big for her.

“Well, I think that will be just fine.” He said jokingly.

“But I can’t see daddy?!” she replied a bit muffled in the coat.

“Okay let’s take this off quickly, before mommy catches us.” He lowers his voice to her.

“Okay.” She whispered back adorably.

In a fury, Maestro unzipped it and he quickly out on her bowtie set down on the coffee table from yesterday.

“Okay, aaaand…yeah we’re good, let’s go.”

The two of them then swiftly made it off the porch, and Octave ran off ahead of her father.

“Wait up okay?! Don’t go too far got it?!” he yelled out to her.

“Okay daddy, I wo- Oof!” she ended up running into a royal guard patrolling the current street they were on.

“Hello mister!” she said happily looking up at the straight-faced guard.

He said nothing, and continued on his patrol route.

Maestro came around the corner, and noticed she was trying to get the guards attention, causing him to slow down.

“Please move, little one.” The guard blatantly stated.

“Octave, get away from him!” he said, catching up to her finally.

“But why is he just walking? Why does he look like that?”

“He is a royal guard of the castle. Sometimes they patrol the city streets to occasionally make sure there is still order in the city from time to time.”

“What’s order daddy?”

“Well…order is something that places where ponies live, need sometimes.”

“Can I be a guard when I get big?”

“Well uh…I never heard of any rules against it? Sure you can, go for it when you’re old enough!”

“Okay! I’ll be the best guard ever! I’ll get to meet the princess, and I’ll get ponies who are mean to other ponies!” she replied happily.

“That’s my girl, show them your stuff.” He ruffled her mane up a bit, after passing her up, but then dropping back to lift her up onto his back.

About ten minutes or so later, his workplace is just around the corner. Though it was closed on the weekends, he was given the key to it so he could open it up before they were ready for customers to walk through the form doors. He usually flipped on the lights, did some last minute pre-tuning for the rental instruments, and so forth.

“Okay, let me just get my key here and we should be inside in no time.”

“Daddy look! It’s Stardust!”

“Stardust? Who in Equestria is that?”

“She is my friend at school.” She replied before she called out to her friend who hadn’t noticed her across the street.

“Stardust! Heeey!” Octave waved and jumped up and down in place to get her attention until her friend replied back.

“Hi Octave!”

They both took off running to each other in the middle of the street to greet each other just as Stardust caught site of her. Maestro also saw what appeared to be a Unicorn calling out to Stardust as well. Eventually he caught up to her, and the Unicorn catching up to Stardust too.

“What were you thinking going out in the middle of the street like that? You didn’t even look both ways!” the Unicorn stated firmly.

“Exactly Octave, did you hear what she said? You should’ve looked both ways before crossing. Who knows what could’ve happened just then? A runaway cart being pulled, who knows what?!”

“Sorry daddy…it won’t happen again.” Octave then looked down to the ground feeling disappointed.

“Ah, so you must be Octave’s father, hm?”

“Indeed I am…who and how do you know that exactly?” he raised his eyebrow curiously.

“Ah of course, my daughter Stardust here, and your daughter Octave here are both friends at the same school they go to together.”

“Really? Well now that’s interesting, why didn’t you tell me you made a friend at school a while back Octave?”

“Um…I forgot I guess.” She shrugged.

“It’s quite alright dear.” The Unicorn replied.

“Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Maestro, madam.”

“Charmed to meet you, my name is Pearly Sweet…Pearly for short.” She giggled in her thick Canterlot accent.

“So I take it the father is a Pegasus?”

“Quite so, he works on making the clouds, and I run an interior decorating business just down the street from here.” She replied proudly.

“Ah, well I work at the music store just across the street from here as you can plainly see.” He said.

“Of course, of course…well me and my daughter here are off to see her grandfather in Manehatten, may our paths cross again.”

“Of course, take care on your trip.” He added.

With that, Pearly gave a mere nod of approval before she and her daughter turned to head off into the direction of the train station once more.

“Well now…some friend you got, that Stardust looks nice. Maybe you and her can have a little slumber party one day.”

“A what?” Octave wondered, since she’d hardly ever heard that word spoken.

“I’ll tell you later, now then…how about we head inside the shop?”

“Okay!”

“Look both ways!”

“Oh…yeah…sorry.” She smiled awkwardly.

“That’s what I thought you little scoundrel.” He poked her side lightly, making her giggle.