• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,766 Views, 40 Comments

The Unrequited Love of the Bon-Bon - Duke of Canterlot



Bon-Bon is in love with Lyra, her roommate and best friend. Will Bon-Bon muster the courage to confess to Lyra?

  • ...
7
 40
 2,766

Bon-Bon's Crush

Bon-Bon could feel the spring air on her body in the open grassy fields of Ponyville. The air felt so nice and crisp. It was neither too hot nor too cold; the weather was just right.
She was all alone and couldn't remember how she got to the fields.
However, Bon-Bon didn't care much about either of those things at the moment. It was a beautiful day in Ponyville and she was going to enjoy it and stop asking questions. Bon-Bon felt compelled to walk across the field. The grass felt nice under her hooves. There was only one more thing needed which could make this day perfect.

Suddenly, she heard somepony call out, "Bonnie!"

Could it be? Oh yes, it was the most perfect unicorn in all of Equestria: a turquoise colored unicorn with a lyre cutie mark. She was typically cheerful even though a tad naïve. She was also appropriately named Lyra. Lyra Heartstrings.

"Lyra", shouted Bon-Bon.

Lyra beckoned Bon-Bon to move towards her. Bon-Bon kept on walking. It seemed strange to Bon-Bon that Lyra was so close, yet so far. Bon-Bon kept walking but she never seemed to reach Lyra. It felt like Bon-Bon was walking in place and Lyra was unattainable.

Suddenly, Lyra popped up right in front of Bon-Bon. This shocked Bon-Bon but she was mostly glad to be near Lyra.

"I love you, Bon-Bon", said Lyra softly.

"I love you too, Lyra", replied Bon-Bon.

The two mares began to kiss. As Bon-Bon let her tongue roll around in Lyra's mouth, Bon-Bon knew this day was now perfect.

Suddenly, it all stopped.

Bon-Bon opened her eyes. It was dark outside and Bon-Bon was in her bed licking her blanket.

It was all just a dream.

She could hear the rain fall from inside. "Great", thought Bon-Bon, "even the weather was just a dream."

Why did the weather team have to schedule a downpour in the middle of the night? However, Bon-Bon supposed that it was better at night than in day when ponies were out and about. Bon-Bon was a notoriously light sleeper and knew she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Work would be a bitch today. It would be awful.

She looked up at the ceiling. There was one pony which came to mind: Lyra. Bon-Bon has had feelings for Lyra for years now. The two of them had always been great friends. In fact, Bon-Bon and Lyra shared a two bedroom apartment together. They knew each other since elementary school at Ponyville. The two simply shared a bond which Bon-Bon knew couldn't compare to any connection she had with other ponies. Lyra was Bon-Bon's roommate and best friend. However, Bon-Bon also wanted Lyra to be her marefriend. Bon-Bon knew that Lyra cared for her, however, given that their friendship was so strong - it was hard for Bon-Bon to determine whether Lyra was attracted to Bon-Bon or not. Lyra would always refer to Bon-Bon as a "great friend". This was indeed a compliment but could they be more than friends?

The rain had stopped and Bon-Bon drifted off to sleep.

Bon-Bon was in Canterlot by Princess Celestia's castle. It was dark outside, but peaceful.
All she knew was that she wanted to get back to Ponyville. Ponyville was home, not Canterlot.
Canterlot was old-money and snobbish.
Bon-Bon made a pretty good salary for her age but was from a humble earth pony family with no prestige.
Even if Bon-Bon's wealth could someday surpass that of most of the rich ponies in Canterlot, they would always remind Bon-Bon of her "poor upbringing". Ponyville wasn't like that at all.

Suddenly, Princess Luna appeared in front of Bon-Bon's line of vision.
Princess Luna was a dark blue alicorn, which is essentially an overpowered pony beyond extremes.

"Ms. Sweetie Bon-Bon Drops, you are in a dream right now", said Luna in a booming voice of royalty, "I am here to give you an important message."
Bon-Bon was surprised that she didn't wake up from her dream. Generally, a pony will wake up upon realization that it is all a dream.

"What's the message", asked Bon-Bon.

"To me, it appears you have been living in a prison for many years now. You must let your feelings out for the pony you care about most. You must do so to free yourself from the burdens placed upon you."

Bon-Bon could feel the adrenaline rush. She loved the idea of telling Lyra the truth. However, only if Lyra reciprocated. It was probably moreso that Luna spoke with such a commanding and intimidating tone which got Bon-Bon's heart racing. Additionally, Luna still reminded Bon-Bon very much of Nightmare Moon, a pony which had terrified Bon-Bon to an unreasonable extreme as a foal. Every pony had fears of the mare on the moon, however, Bon-Bon was always watching out for Nightmare Moon. Bon-Bon had only gotten over her fear after Luna's visit to Ponyville during Nightmare Night.

Bon-Bon was terrified and could barely speak.

"But.. Nightmare.. I mean, Luna, I just can't... what if Lyra.. um..."

"Rejects you?"

"Yes, that thing!"

"It will hurt, yes, if she rejects you. However, do you really want to live the rest of your life like this? Loving your best friend from afar. A best friend should not cause pain and suffering but happiness and understanding", said Luna in a softer and kinder tone. Good. This calmed Bon-Bon down significantly.

"I know. I don't think Lyra will be mean to me. It's just I know what I want from Lyra and I am afraid."

"Face your fears, Bon-Bon. You must do so."

Princess Luna then vanished into thin air.

Bon-Bon woke up in a cold sweat. That was terrifying. Nightmare Moon.. er.. Luna was in her dream. However, Luna was right. Bon-Bon couldn't live like this anymore. She couldn't hide her feelings for Lyra from Lyra forever. Bon-Bon knew going back to sleep would be impossible at this point. She got out of bed.

Bon-Bon looked at herself in the mirror. She should be more confident in disclosing her feelings to Lyra. Bon-Bon always made sure she looked her prettiest every day, making sure that her mane was perfectly symmetrical: one side being pink and the other side being dark blue, with both sides being curled at the front. Bon-Bon liked the look and she had gotten a lot of compliments on it from mares and stallions alike. Bon-Bon had to admit that her mane style matched her blue eyes and facial features quite nicely. There was only one opinion which really mattered to Bon-Bon in that regard, the opinion of Lyra. Lyra absolutely loved how Bon-Bon took care of her appearance. Lyra did find Bon-Bon to be pretty, so what was the problem?

The problem was that Bon-Bon was unable to gauge with confidence whether Lyra had feelings for her. Lyra wasn't some pony from afar. Lyra was Bon-Bon's best friend. They did almost everything together. Lyra never even had a marefriend or stallionfriend before. Bon-Bon did have some flings here and there but none of them lasted long. None of them were Lyra Heartstrings. Ponies would often ask Bon-Bon if she and Lyra were dating. Lyra would also get the same question. It broke Bon-Bon's heart anytime Lyra responded truthfully yet without any hesitation or sense of disappointment, "Nope, we're just friends."

Yea. It was stuff like that which made Bon-Bon wary of asking Lyra out on a date. Additionally, how would that change things? The two of them would regularly go out to dinner or see a movie together as friends. Lyra would make comments though that she wished she could be as pretty as Bon-Bon. That was definitely not true in Bon-Bon's mind. However, Bon-Bon had to admit that when they went to nightclubs together for some dancing and girlish fun, ponies would hit on Bon-Bon with greater frequency than Lyra. Most of Bon-Bon's relationships were pointless though. All the mares and stallions she dated wanted from her was sex and not love.

Her three longest-lasting flings were with one stallion [Caramel] and two mares [Flitter and Trixie.. don't ask about Trixie though]. None of them seemed to really love Bon-Bon. Most important of all though, she couldn't find it in her heart to love any of them.

Caramel was a gentlecolt but they didn't have much in common. Caramel wanted some simple and easygoing pony like him. Bon-Bon was a lot of things but simple and easygoing were not her. However, Caramel did like Bon-Bon's baking skills. It was Bon-Bon's favorite hobby. Caramel and Bon-Bon were still good friends.

Trixie was arrogant and obnoxious, but she grew obsessed and clingy to Bon-Bon, up to the point where Bon-Bon had to threaten Trixie with a restraining order. Trixie continued the behavior months after Bon-Bon broke up with her. Out of the three though, Trixie was the best in bed. Bon-Bon wondered if it had to do from the fact that Trixie was a unicorn. However, Bon-Bon chalked it up to experience and Trixie just being a crazy bitch. Lyra, Bon-Bon imagined, wouldn't be quite as good initially due to lack of experience. Bon-Bon freaked the last two times that Trixie visited Ponyville. Thankfully, Trixie was more interested in trying to upstage Twilight Sparkle and didn't even stop by to say hello. Trixie went through some tough times apparently. However, that wasn't Bon-Bon's problem and she knew better than any pony that Trixie was her own worst enemy.

Flitter was the closest to being a real relationship. She was smart, sassy, and had good intentions - kind of like Bon-Bon. They got along really well. However, Bon-Bon had trouble going on with the relationship in the long run since she was far too obsessed with Lyra. Flitter noticed that Bon-Bon would really light up when Lyra was around. This made Flitter feel very insecure about the relationship. In fact, Flitter even dressed up as Lyra once with hopes that Bon-Bon would love it. However, Flitter was nothing like Lyra. Flitter was also far too mean to Lyra whenever she was around. Bon-Bon knew it was out of jealousy. However, Lyra was very sensitive to Flitter's put-downs. Bon-Bon got fed up and had a decision to make. It seemed she could either keep dating Flitter or stay good friends with Lyra. Bon-Bon chose the friendship with Lyra, following her heart.

Bon-Bon could hear the lyre playing. It was just so beautiful. Lyra was the best lyre player in Ponyville, and perhaps all of Equestria. The music was soft and romantic. It sounded exactly like what Bon-Bon imagined their relationship would be like. Bon-Bon hoped that was how things were meant to be someday. Bon-Bon also thought to herself that Lyra was up awfully early. Lyra, with many of her shows being at night, was generally a late sleeper. That wasn't like Lyra at all.

Bon-Bon glanced at the clock on the wall.

Shit, Bon-Bon overslept! It was 9 AM and she needed to be at work by 9 AM.

Bon-Bon immediately called her boss, Filthy Rich, on her cell phone.

"Hello, Bon-Bon."

"Rich, I will be running a little late today, I am so sorry."

"It's alright. Not a problem. When do you think you will be in?"

"Umm.. by 10."

"I'll see you then."

Good, that would be enough time to take a shower and to talk to Lyra before Bon-Bon had to be at work.

Author's Note:

Apologies in advance if I broke the canon regarding cell phones existing in Equestria.
Along the same lines as the Internet in "A Troll in Equestria".
Princess Celestia stole items from the humans.. I mean.. is the greatest inventor of all time.