• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,767 Views, 40 Comments

The Unrequited Love of the Bon-Bon - Duke of Canterlot



Bon-Bon is in love with Lyra, her roommate and best friend. Will Bon-Bon muster the courage to confess to Lyra?

  • ...
7
 40
 2,767

Some Professional Advice

Bon-Bon was all ready for work. She figured she would stop by to say hello to Lyra first.

Bon-Bon knocked on Lyra's door.

"Bonnie?"

"Yes, it's me. May I come in?"

"Of course, but shouldn't you be at work?"

"Yea, but I overslept and am running a little late. I told my boss I would be there at 10."

The door opened. Lyra's room was an utter mess. The floor was her shelf, closet, and storage.
Bon-Bon was such a neat freak by comparison. Lyra gave Bon-Bon a smile of warmth and wonder. So many ponies had asked Bon-Bon what exactly she saw in Lyra. There were so many things and Lyra's smile was one of them.

"Bon-Bon, you don't know how happy it makes me that I am actually seeing you at this time of day."

"Yea, kind of my fault too. I had some trouble sleeping."

"Oh no. I'm sorry. I hope it wasn't my fault.. I have a big concert coming up in three days and have been practicing hardcore."

Not at all. Lyra would probably not even able to fathom exactly what was going through Bon-Bon's head.

"No, not that. I guess I have had a lot on my mind recently."

"Heh heh, that doesn't surprise me. You can never shut that brilliant mind of yours off, huh?"

"I guess not. Work's been nuts recently."

"I read in the paper. Filthy Rich is expanding his business to the Griffon Kingdom, is that true?"

"Sort of. He is planning on expanding to the Griffon Kingdom. However, it is up to some pony.. a.k.a me.. to do all the research to determine whether it is a wise move."

"He puts a lot of trust in you."

"I guess."

Bon-Bon worked as Rich's bookkeeper, financial advisor, and personal assistant. She was a star student at Derby University which also happened to be Rich's alma mater. Rich had trouble finding somepony able to handle the complex nature and everchanging environment of the department store industry. However, Bon-Bon caught on to everything very quickly. Bon-Bon was never quite able to figure out if it was because she was so smart or every pony else around her was simply dumb. It didn't matter much from an economic well-being standpoint though. Rich was grateful for all she had done for his corporation and paid her a pretty nice salary too - one with the promise of generous raises on an annual basis.

"Stop guessing, start knowing, Bon-Bon."

"The world is always changing."

"Does that mean humans are likely to return to Equestria?"

"Well except that."

Lyra stuck her tongue out. Lyra was absolutely obsessed with humans. Bon-Bon never really understood what was so great about this relatively obscure mythological creature. With that said, Bon-Bon eagerly obtained knowledge on the human to impress Lyra. If Bon-Bon could turn into a human, Lyra would go gaga for her.

"What are you doing for Hearts and Hooves Day?"

Lyra asked that out of the blue, but Hearts and Hooves Day was tomorrow.

"Ummm... I dunno... probably working."

"Doesn't surprise me, you're Bon-Bon."

This was Bon-Bon's chance. She could let her feelings known to Lyra. She got very nervous and her heart was racing. Bon-Bon knew what she wanted to say but why wasn't her mouth moving.

"Bonnie, are you okay?"

"Oh yes, I am. I guess I er... don't know what.. must be the sleep deprivation. I still need to drink coffee."

Lyra giggled.

"Oh Bon-Bon, you crack me up sometimes. I love you for that."

An "I love you" from Lyra? Yes! Well, sort of.. but damn it, Bon-Bon was going to interpret that the way she wanted it to be.

"I suppose. Every time I crack you up, you crack me up ten times."

"My parents always said I could go work in the circus."

"Aren't you?"

"Shut up. Playing a lyre is way cooler than whatever it is you do.. look at boring spreadsheets and all of those numbers, blah."

"No way, I totally have a blast!"

Bon-Bon looked at her watch. It was 9:45. She had to leave now.

"In fact, work is so much fun that I can't wait to leave.. er.. now. I'll see you tonight, Lyra!"

"See you tonight, Bon-Bon!"

Bon-Bon was walking to work. Screw Hearts and Hooves Day. Bon-Bon had bigger things to do than worry about a commercialized holiday.. oh crap, that was the big thing this week at Barnyard Bargains. All of those Hearts and Hooves Day sales, it was the here and now. Bon-Bon silently hoped that there would be more discussion on Griffon expansion than the holiday tomorrow. The H&H day sale strategy had been finalized and implemented over a week ago anyway. Any changes would have little to no effect on the department store.

Bon-Bon arrived at work. The corporate office of Barnyard Bargains was one of Ponyville's most impressive buildings - its architecture was very Manehattan-esque... simple, sleek, and efficient.

Bon-Bon arrived at her office and saw a stack of papers on her desk. It was going to be a busy day.

"Good morning Bon-Bon."

"Good morning Rich. How are you?"

"Everything is quite pleasant. However, my dear wife talked me into making a reservation for Le Chef for our Hearts and Hooves day dinner."

"I know that must disappoint you. I'm more familiar with the prices of the food than the food itself."

"Ho ho, indeed. I told her that Sugarcube Corner is the most romantic place in all of Ponyville but she doesn't believe me."

"I know what you mean. Is the food even that good at Le Chef?"

"It would be a lot better if it was cheaper."

Bon-Bon liked that attitude in Rich; he was always looking to save money and thought of the future.

"Have there been any more discussions about the Griffon expansion?"

"Yes, but not in the way I want things to be. The Board isn't convinced that is a prudent move at this time. However, I simply think that they don't like griffons that much. We have plenty of griffons using our stores, particularly those based in Vanhoover which has a relatively large griffon population. I told them that Ms. Drops is my number whiz and she'll show you it is a good decision economically."

"What did they say about that?"

"Perrywig told me that if Ms. Drops has any sense of integrity, she would discover that it is an awful idea and let that know to all."

"I can't say anything for certain yet. I don't like to make assumptions when it comes to matters of such importance."

"I know. That's what I like about you. You only do what is truly best for the company."

"You won't be hurt if my analysis concludes that we shouldn't move forward with the expansion, right?"

"Not you, Bon-Bon. Because well, you're Bon-Bon."

Bon-Bon chuckled. What did that even mean? Lyra would always say that to her too. Was Bon-Bon that easy to read?

"Are you doing anything special for Hearts and Hooves Day?

"No, nothing. Enough time to get that analysis done for you, right?"

"That's a shame. I guess you haven't asked your roommate out on a date yet."

Huh? Well, one of Bon-Bon's chatty coworkers probably talked about Lyra to Rich.

"Oh.. who told you about that?"

"Pinkie Pie. She knows everything about every pony. I mentioned you worked for me and she just started talking on about you and this Lyra girl. She sounds like a real sweetheart."

"Yea, I know...". Bon-Bon had to remind herself to scream at Pinkie for talking about that to her boss.

"I can understand what you're going through. Don't make the same mistake I made."

"What mistake?"

"Let's put it this way. I lost the chance to marry for love."

"I think I understand."

"It is nerve-wracking. I know from experience, but be brave. You will regret it for the rest of your life."

"Dang. You've been talking too much to Pinkie Pie."

"Oh yes, the things you hear from her. She admittedly thinks you and Lyra are inseparable."

Bon-Bon supposed Pinkie was right about that.

"Thank you for the advice. I am aware of what could lie ahead if I don't talk to Lyra about it."

"Keep in mind that you are free to do as you please here. It's just I thought I would offer some professional advice on the matter."

Bon-Bon wondered exactly what Filthy Rich went through. She had met Rich's wife before: a unicorn named Trophy Mare from Canterlot. She was classy but unbearably elitist. Their relationship always felt more political than personal. They had one daughter together named Diamond Tiara. Bon-Bon never met their daughter. She hoped Diamond Tiara was more like Rich than Trophy for Rich's sake.

"Not a problem. I will definitely keep that in mind."

"Good. Lucky for you too that there the analysis is due long after Hearts and Hooves Day."

"Yea, lucky me."

"Sales revenue is higher for Hearts and Hooves Day week than it has been in years. I never knew you could make chocolate candies."

"It's a favorite hobby of mine, Rich. My mother is a baker actually."

"Runs in the family! Please bake for the next office party, Bon-Bon."

"Of course."

"Good. I have a meeting to attend, but make me proud."

"As always, Rich."

Rich went to his office.

Bon-Bon got to her desk and looked at the pile of papers. She recognized the griffon logo on the top paper: a golden griffon flying in the air with sharp talons and a lion's tail. She wondered to herself about what the griffons would think of a department store created by ponies and for ponies. However, such feelings didn't and shouldn't play a role in the conclusion of her analysis. She would determine how much revenue was being generated by purchases by griffons and whether it was worth the extra operating expenses. Filthy Rich had some big ideas. It was up to Bon-Bon to bring those ideas down to earth. She knew that Rich wasn't always practical, he didn't like the nitty-gritty details of things.

After work, Bon-Bon had to think of something else, what to do for Hearts and Hooves Day? Lyra brought it up, maybe she was going to surprise Bon-Bon with some flowers and chocolates! That would be exciting. Bon-Bon would have to find out somehow what Lyra was up to today. It would help Bon-Bon in her decision of how to ask Lyra out on a date. Bon-Bon decided, she was finally going to do it!! Bon-Bon knew that Lyra liked to shop around Ponyville Square around lunchtime. Hmmmm, perhaps Bon-Bon could use her lunch break for the purpose of finding out exactly what Lyra was up to on this day of love.

Author's Note:

I hope you all are liking this story!