• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 14,001 Views, 374 Comments

A Demon In Ponyville - Terciel1249



Mathew fell into Equestria after being cast out by mankind. With no way to return home, Mathew will have to find his way in this land of talking multicolored ponies.

  • ...
52
 374
 14,001

Look Up and It's Raining

A Demon in Ponyville
Ch. 23: Looking Up and It’s Raining
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to MLP or its related material. All other characters are mine.

Darkness penetrated the night. A darkness so deep it penetrated the beauty of the stars with an absoluteness unheard of by mortal. Lying on a spare set of cots from the basement were two very disturbed alicorns, one purple and the other gold. Both Twilight and Matthew lay silently on the worn fabric. The pair seemed removed from the sounds of the library. The soft snoring of Spike could be heard at their hooves in coherence with the soft groaning and swaying of the tree. Both pairs of eyes were open, taking in the uttered black of the ceiling.

Upstairs in the main bedroom slept Twilight’s parents. The elderly ponies, mainly Velvet, had commandeered Twilight room for the night against the wished of their traumatized daughter and had subsequently moved Spike’s basket.

Cadence had been forced to drag Shining into the spare bedroom. The white stallion was mumbling something about strangling Matthew in his sleep. The gold alicorn did not care, nor did Twilight. I should be worried, but I’m not. Which left Twilight and Matthew to sleep in the main reading area on the camping equipment covered in a single quilt.

The stallion felt her body against his side. Her soft violet fur was soft against his. She smelt of lavender and fear. The same fear he felt and continued to keep them up at night. The whites of their eyes were almost luminous in this hard night.

The greatest fear that would even perturb the God of Chaos himself plagued their minds.

Children.

Twilight and Matthew felt the idea pull at the deepest parts of their minds. What kind of child would they have? Boy or girl? Twilight level of smarts or Matthew level of stupidity? Were they even ready for this? Would the child have a death wish like his father?

The pair could barely function after Velvet’s last comment. Moving in rough, jerking twitches that would make a Chucky Cheese animatronics appear lifelike, they had managed to swallow some of their food and clean up the place. Nothing the Sparkle family could say could break them out of the internal turmoil threatening to consume their very souls.

“So?” the stallion began, his voice scratching.

“So?”

“Are you alright?” Matthew continued to stair straight ahead, only seeing the ceiling above him.

“I don’t know,” Twilight responded. Her heart bashed against her ribs and her brain threatened to implode on the emotional overload it was experiencing. “You?”

“Yeah.”

Silence cut through them with savage indifference. Confusion and fear twisted the two ponies’ guts. Licking her dry lips, Twilight asked, “You’ve been in a relationship before right?”

“I think so.”

“What do you mean ‘I think so’?” her voice raised higher in pitch, her purple eyes trying to drill into the darkness surrounding her vision.

“Well,” Matthew grumbled, “I mean I loved her and she loved me. But it wasn’t what you would call a healthy relationship.”

“What kind of relationship would you call it?”

Talking a deep breath, he said, “I’d call it a relationship created by the fear of death and the threat of death.” Matthew felt Twilight’s movements, her body pushing against his as she readjusted.

“I understand the fear of death, but what about the threat of death?”

“Beatrice said if I leave her, she knew where I slept,” the stallion nodded sagely.

“Oh,” was all Twilight could respond. A cold breeze passed over her fur, making her shiver under the dark ideas wiggling their way into her mind.

“To be fair, I’m not in my right state of mind and she wasn’t back then,” his voice rolled into the air with some reluctance. Feeling the trembling to his right, Matthew’s arm decided to wrap around Twilight’s barrel. He felt a stab into his heart when she flinched at his touch. Just like so many. It was as if his touch was something unclean or painful.

“Do you think about her often?”

“I try not to,” a soft husky reply answered her.

“What did it feel like?” Twilight asked hesitantly, feeling the warm from the stallion’s body. Some part of her mind wondered what Matthew was thinking. The alien personality and experiencing where far too different than her world could believe.

Matthew remained silent for a long time. Slowly rotating his jaw, he felt the thicker teeth grinding against the each other. Such a familiar sensation should not feel this alien. “It felt hot. Like there was a fire in my head. I wanted her, Twilight,” the stallion slowly said, trying to articulate his words properly. “I felt something with her I had never felt before. I felt good, but it hurt… so much.” Her ears twitched at the utter depth of Matthew’s voice. “She was so beautiful. But she did some horrible things like me. I killed and Beatrice killed. We killed to service, Twilight. It… it stains the soul. I saw it in her eyes. I saw her dying like me.”

“What do you mean?”

“You get cold on the inside,” Twilight felt the shudder, his voice dropping lower. “I don’t wanna talk more about it anymore.”

The Princess of Friendship remained silent, feeling the rise and falling of Matthew’s chest. When she found her tongue, Twilight said, “She sounds nice. Beatrice I mean.”

A harsh laughter bit through the dark air, “Oh she was not. She was a bad girl! One time she took a set of jumper cables and a car battery to my nuts.”

“That aweful!”

“I know! I could taste the electricity,” Matthew shivered at the memory.

“What’d you do to deserve that?”

“That’s not important,” the gold stallion mutter.

“I disagree! Now spill it,” the violet mare said.

“I might have raided her panty drawer…”

Twilight remained silent, processing the unfamiliar word. “I don’t know what that means, but you deserved it.”

“No you too!”

“Hey I’m just supporting another female from a pervert,” she said with a smug expression.

“Hey! I was curious!”

“At least she didn’t do that again,” Twilight pointed out.

“Please! Beatrice did this shit all the time! And I only deserved half of it!” His low voice rumbled next to her ear. Twilight could feel the warm wind brushing against the appendage with a shiver.

“Then why did you stay with her?” she hissed back.

“I don’t know,” was all he could respond. “I just wanted something you know. It felt real and I loved Beatrice.”

“Love isn’t about hurting each other. It’s about connecting with the pony you care about,” Twilight said with passion in her voice. Her eyes flashed in the poor light.

“Twilight,” Matthew released a pent up sight. “Beatrice could hurt me because she was close. The only people that can hurt you that much are the ones you are connected with. I mean… my god… she would tear out my heart, step on it, feed it to dog.” The mare felt him stiffen next to her, “It’s when the pains gone that you realize how empty you are inside. That small amount of affection made me feel… good. Like I had never been happy, I had someone I could be real with and not just another body or guy.”

Her purple fur shook at the dark implication. A deep hole in her heart felt cold and she wanted to do something about it. “Matthew… Can I tell you something?”

“Shoot.”

“I’m sorry about your relationship. I don’t mean it was nothing or anything like that. I mean as a fully functioning relationship. You and Beatrice had the clinical definition of dysfunction. You fought and hurt each other with mind games. It’s less like a connection of compromise. Instead you where living on raw emotions, less people and more of a loose collection of characteristics I would find in a pair of sociopaths,” Twilight’s heart fluttered in her chest, hoping she didn’t upset her stallion. “I-I want to help you Matthew. I did wrong by you, but I want to help you by offering you what you need.”

The stallion was stoic, the silence deafening to their ears. The weight of silence pushed down on her. It pushed her deeper into Matthew’s warm embrace. All around her was an unsettling darkness. The unbearable air around her became too great. Finally, Twilight asked, “Matthew? What do you want? What do you need?”

“To win… To survive.”

The whisper was barely perceivable to her ears. The answer was so simplistic it almost shocked Twilight. “That’s just sad.”

“Hmmmmmm,” She felt his side vibrate against her, contemplating the implications of his words.

Matthew felt the thin, so very fragile forelegs wrap around his torso. He wasn’t broad chested like Big Mac, Thank god. Her little arms wouldn’t make it half way. They just remained there, caught in the moment.

“Matthew?”

“Yes Twilight?”

“I think I want to try… try for a relationship. I want to be your friend. W-would that be alright with you?” Her voice was so thin, soft like velvet on his ears. Her violet eyes turned up to him, looking deep into the dark eyes of Matthew.

Eventually, the stallion shrugged, “Sure.”

“That wasn’t very convincing…” Twilight pointed out.

“What do you want from me woman?!”

“I want some conviction! I want to have a fully functioning relationship and hopefully we can be on equal terms,” Her voice rose into the dark air.

Twilight felt the shuddering of Matthew’s sides. His low chuckle soon becoming a maniacal laugh, “Equals? Oh good god you are naïve! There isn’t equality in a relationship between a man and a woman.”

The mare opened her mouth to retort, but her stallion cut her off, “For a relationship to work out, both parties need to understand the focus. And the focus is about Her. In this case you, Twilight. That’s all a woman’s waiting for, a man to get on board with the idea.” An adorable growl emitted from the mare at his sides, “I already learned this lesson and I practiced it every day when I woke up.”

“And what lesson was that?”

“I would look myself in the mirror and say ‘F*** you! F*** your hopes! F*** your dreams! F*** your plans! F*** everything you thought this life would bring you! Now let’s go and try to make this bitch happy!’” a sly smile lit the golden muzzle.

“That’s…. That’s not right!” the indignation in her voice was heavy.

“I already know I can only try my best,” Matthew nodded sagely; “I know I’ll never make you happy and you’ll always be angry. But I can try.”

“No I won’t!”

“I have been bitched out by so many things for no reason,” His voice rose a few octaves in a horrible impersonation of a mare. “Why you gone for so long? I don’t see you anymore! I never see you anymore! I hate this sh**!

Then there’s the time I do stay for a couple of weeks: Why you all up under me? Let me get some room to breathe! Damn! Don’t keep by me so often! I hate this sh**!

Then there’s the time she thought I made money: Fu** you! I want to make decisions too! You’re not my daddy! I don’t need you to take care of me! I hate this sh**!

And then there’s: You broke motherfu****! You never have no money! I don’t want to make all these decisions by myself! I need someone to take care of me too! I hate this sh**!”

Twilight remained silent as Matthew vented some of the negativities he had in his singular love life. “That’s awful! Why would you stay with her? You and Beatrice had too many issues! I’m surprised she didn’t kill you while you slept.”

“Well she did look at me this one way,” the dark eyes became unfocused, “It wasn’t happy and I swear she was thinking ‘Good lord how did I get with this ugly motherfu****? Lord please strike this motherfu****! Go strike him! Please strike him! I wanna still look good enough to get something after this guy!’”

Her violet mare’s mouth was wide open, rotating in an attempt to create words. “I think you need counseling, really.”

“Oh no! I am not going to some person of average-ness just to hear that I’m crazy, I’m not worth the effort, I don’t have to time to deal with you and your BS, get the hell out of my office,” the force of his voice was grating, anger seeping its way out.

“Counseling doesn’t mean you’re crazy. A counselor’s there to listen to you and help you through your issues,” Twilight calmly forced her point across to him.

Matthew snorted a very equine sound, “I don’t need no help.”

“You don’t sleep well either.”

His muscles tightened, turning slowly to look down on those eyes filled with compassion, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Applejack and Big Mac say you’re up after they go to sleep and before they wake up,” Twilight began to explain, “They also said you talk in your sleep.” His jaw worked furiously, trying to think of some response. Before he could, a violet hoof reached up to pull his chin towards her. In the poor lighting, they could barely make out the wide orbs that were the gateway to the soul. “Please, Matthew. I want to help you, but you need to help yourself.”

“Men need help. Children need help. Monsters need eradication. Then there will be nothing.”

Twilight lowered her head, feeling the weight his words. In a sign of comfort, Twilight nuzzled the golden fur holding tight to Matthew’s form. She wanted to share something with him. She wanted to share the warmth of her body, her heart with this worn out stallion.

His hoof gently ran down her mane. Feeling the long strands of Twilight’s hair in his hoof, Matthew sighed. He sighed against the warm, softness against him. She knew how to play him. Just like Beatrice, all they had to do was show some small amount of kindness and he would be there like the obedient dog he was.

He couldn’t find the will to be angry or hate her. This warmth was so soft.

“For you Twilight.”

0 0 0

The dungeons of Canterlot were dark and dreary. Thick moisture in the air tickled the lungs with every breath as the two Sisters made their way deep into the dull bricks and mortar. Celestia and Luna did not appear fearful or in any form of hurry. To confront Chrysalis, both of the Princesses had to be on the tips of their hooves. They could not afford to let any slight emotional error to show. Flickering flames caste bizarre and unnatural shadows across every surface.

All too soon, they reached the cell holding the Changeling Queen. The black children reflected the flickering lights. The majority of her barrel was covered in bright white bandages and caste.

“Chrysalis?”

The Changeling Queen did not stir at Celestia’s voice. Luna’s voice was higher and much harsher, “Rise Changeling Queen! We will have words with thee!”

Slowly, Chrysalis’s head rose from the position she was lying against the wall. Green blood scabbed across the nasty cut on her face. Her smile was condescending, “It took you two long enough to get down here. I was beginning to think you forgot about me.” She wiped away an imaginary tear from her eye.

“Chrysalis,” Celestia began, “Luna and I have been in much discussion about what is to come of you. Before we make a final decision, I will need to ask you one question.”

A black eyebrow rose, Chrysalis was intrigued by the neutral tone the Princess of the Sun had taken. “What questions would that be?”

“Can there be peace?”

The changeling before them rubbed a hoof against her chin. Her face was furrowed in concentration, deep in thought. “That’s certainly an idea, but I have a better one.”

“And that would be?” Luna asked, feeling uneasiness squirming in her stomach.

Chrysalis smiled a demented smile before her visage began to fracture. Like a pane of poorly made glass, the Changeling Queen’s expressions of superiority cracked then shattered into a thousand pieces.

Luna and Celestia watched the black and green crystals fall to the ground to dissolve into nothingness. They eyes were wide with fear, horror and shock. Questions of how, when and where flittered across the two minds followed closely by the implications of this singular reality.

Chrysalis was loose and she had a head start.