• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 16,678 Views, 303 Comments

Noble Six - InfinitySlayer



Noble Six was a hero. He is remembered for his death. He will be remembered for how he continued living.

  • ...
57
 303
 16,678

The Last Stand

Noble Six knew nothing but pain. It encircled his entire being. He felt like his bones had been crushed, while his entire body was on fire. That was, of course, what had happened. Getting hit with a Fuel Rod Cannon should've meant certain death. Somehow, Six was still alive. He wasn't entirely sure whether or not he wanted to be.

Noble Six couldn't feel his face. If he had his helmet, he might've been able to properly withstand the blast. But, he obviously had left that important piece of equipment back on Reach. He wasn't expecting to survive this long at the time. His world was nothing but hollow blackness. Noble Six feared he had gone blind. But, he was able to slowly open his eyes. It hurt with every blink, but he wasn't blind. He was able to clearly see the horror that surrounded him.

From every side, ponies fought desperately against the Covenant for their lives. They had formed a compact circle, completely surrounded by Covenant forces. The merciless aliens were unrelenting. Plasma bolt after plasma bolt burned into the pony defense. Pink shards of death fired from Needler wielding Grunts stuck into whatever they ran into, and exploded into a pink cloud of sparkles. It would've be an adorable spectacle, if the unfortunate pony hadn't exploded with it. Elites charged into the pony lines almost unchallenged, and those wielding Energy Swords impaled whatever was closest to its grasp. Covenant Jackals wielding Plasma Pistols and plasma shields equipped to their arms marched forwards in a phalanx, approaching from the left side of the compact formation. Thrown spears and swords were unable to penetrate their lines. Hunters were laying waste to whatever unlucky group of ponies were shot with it's overpowered Fuel Rod Cannon.

The only thing that gave the ponies even a fighting chance was their strange, unknown energy abilities. Ponies with horns atop their heads had been blasting the Covenant lines with energy blasts, and continued to hold back the brunt of the onslaught. Grunts and Jackals were completely defenseless against the deadly bolts, and dramatically flew away into the Covenant lines whenever they were hit. Elites and Hunters were able to withstand the laser beams, and continued to plow forwards into the pony defense formation. Other gifted ponies created energy shields that were able to block most plasma attacks, but crumbled if destroyed by a Hunter Fuel Rod round.

There were ponies with wings, hardly noticed by Six before, that also assisted in the battle. Flying overhead, they were unnoticed by Covenant forces until too late. Somehow, the majority of the pony air force was armed with buckets filled with hot lava, which they gracefully dumped on the heads of the alien invaders. Everything hit melted almost instantly. Noble Six also spotted an unidentifiable rainbow streak bouncing in and out of the Covenant lines. Everything touched by this rainbow streak died instantly. About an eighth of the Covenant forces were destroyed by the mysterious rainbow streak.

The remaining ponies without any special magic abilities still put up a grandiose fight. Although spears and swords were not effective weapons against the Covenant, as Noble Six found out, a hoof in the face was. The Covenant found that a buck to the face by a certain orange pony with a stetson hat was as powerful as any Gravity Hammer they could use. A pink pony armed with a pink cannon blasted acidic confetti into whatever unfortunate Covenant it found. It proved to be more than an effective weapon to melt the Covenant with.

Six had been lying on his back, unable to get to his feet. He knew that lying there forever would mean certain death. Slowly, he used his hands and all the strength he could muster to clumsily rise to his feet. Every movement burned like fire, but he had no choice. It was either fight or die.

Once on his feet, he could see the full scale of destruction the Covenant had caused. The city was ruins. Buildings, homes, shops, and work places, had been completely decimated. Nothing was left of them besides crumpled heaps of stones and ash. The huge castle in the center of the city suffered the same fate. Worse still, as far as Noble Six could tell, the small army of about 150 remaining pony warriors were the only living ponies in the entire city.

Six suddenly felt that same burning hatred for the Covenant that he felt since the fall of Reach. This was the epitome of the Covenant, destroying absolutely everything in their path to get what they wanted. The ruins of this pony city didn't look that different from the ruins of New Alexandria.

No more, he thought. The Covenant must be destroyed.

Six hefted his Plasma Rifle to his hip, aiming it at the first Covenant he saw. It was a puny Grunt, who was currently shooting pink shards of death into the pony lines. Six pulled the trigger. The Grunt was instantly smothered in blue plasma, and died immediately.

The Covenant armies' reaction to Noble Six's survival from the Fuel Rod shot was almost comical. The fighting stopped abruptly as the Covenant gawked at the super soldier that miraculously survived the death blow it had been dealt. The pause in the fighting didn't last more than a few seconds before the entire Covenant assault force converged on where Six was standing. Every one of them, from the lowliest Grunt to the highest ranking Elite, wanted the privilege to kill him. This was not a very good turn of events.

The pony soldiers were unable to hold back the combined power of the Covenant forces as they zealously sought Noble Six's life. The alien force wedged open the pony defense, and started plowing a large lane to where Six stood, awestruck. At the front of the spearhead was the Elite that shot him with it's Fuel Rod Cannon moments before. As hard as the small pony army tried, it could not hold back or divert the path of the Covenant forces. Everything that stood in the Covenant's way was destroyed.

With his left hand, Six activated his Energy Sword. In his right, he primed his Plasma Rifle. He knew in his heart that this was the last stand. He could just give in to the Covenant forces and suffer a relatively swift death. If he did, however, ever single life form on the planet would be exterminated. Six hoped that he could kill enough Covenant to force a retreat before his time came. The closer and closer the endless tide of aliens grew, however, he began to doubt his strength.

Within a few seconds, the force was upon him

Noble Six fired plasma into the head of the formation as swift as his weapon would allow him. In two seconds, however, he was shocked to find the Plasma Rifle not functional. It was out of ammo. Perfect timing. He didn't put a dent into the Covenant forces.

Six, Energy Sword in hand, darted as fast as he could towards his attackers. The Covenant were taken by surprise by Six's sudden courage. He was given enough time to engage the first Elite he saw. It was a golden armored, General class Elite armed with an Energy Sword of it's own.

Noble Six's Energy Sword and the Elite's clashed together in a shower of blue sparks. A sword fight erupted between the two experienced fighters, both jabbing and parrying the others attacks. Six was able to take the Elite by it's Energy Sword wielding claw, and pull it downward into the ground. The Elite's sword became stuck in the rubble. As the creature desperately tried to free it, Six impaled the Elite through the back. The Elite crumpled to the ground, and died instantly.

Not even a moment after this, Six was blown clear off his feet by some unknown power. He soared through the air for a full three seconds until crashing face first into the ruins. He tried to get to his feet, but something was holding him down. He was able to turn his head far enough to see what it was. The Elite that had blasted him with the Fuel Rod Cannon had pinned Six to the ground with it's massive foot. As hard as Six tired, he was completely unable to move. He was at the will of the Elite.

The Elite said nothing. It stared directly into Noble Six's eyes with a look of blazing hatred Six hadn't seen in Elites before.

All around him, the remaining pony soldiers were fleeing for there lives. Once they saw Six down, they bolted as fast as they could out of the city. Six could hardly blame them. Staying in the city meant certain death. The battle was over. The Covenant won.

The Covenant troops did not pursue the pony soldiers. They were much more interested in the collapsed Spartan on the ground, and what their leader was going to do with it.

"It is the second time we meet, demon, and the last." The Elite took hold of Six's head, and brought Six's face directly in front of his, hefting the huge super soldier to it's eyes.

"I could easily kill you now. But that is not a fitting end for such a noble warrior. Rest assured, you die today. By Decimation."

The entire Covenant army cheered hysterically at this proclamation, banging their weapons against the ground, each other, or just shooting rounds into the sky. Six had no idea what Decimation was, but it probably was not a pleasant experience.

"I see the look in your eye. You do not know what Decimation is? You will see, Spartan. It is our greatest form of torture, reserved only for traitors and blasphemers. I see you as both."

The Elite did not let go of Noble Six as he barked some orders in the Covenant language to his fellow followers. Within a few seconds, a Phantom was hovering directly over Six and the Elite. It took them both inside by it's gravity lift.

Six had never felt so hopeless in his entire life. His life was going to end in the worst way imaginable, by Covenant standards. Frankly, his luck being as it was, he wasn't all that surprised.


Celestia had never ran so fast in her entire life.

At first, the battle that she had just fought seemed winnable. For a while, she believed that her pony soldiers and her were holding together just fine. Celestia thought they could have a chance of actually defeating the alien invaders. She was proven very wrong as the alien forced plowed straight through her compact defense and attacked Noble Six.

After that, there was nothing she could do. For Noble Six, for her fellow troops, for herself. There was nothing left to do besides run. And run she did. Following her lead, the rest of her loyal subjects fled behind her. Within a minute or two, every remaining pony inside the city had made it to the outskirts. Here, a small, scraggly forest stood. It was the only place left for Celestia and her followers.

Everypony stood in random places, gasping for air, falling to the ground out of exhaustion. The battle they had all just fought was easily the fiercest battle waged on the planet in all of history. Celestia searched frantically for her faithful student and her friends. After a few anxious seconds, she found them huddled up together under a unusually large tree. They also were gasping for air, they had fought as nobly, if not more so, than the rest of her soldiers.

Celestia approached the huddled mass, the look of despair clearly evident on her face. She had no idea what to do. Celestia had no way of feeding her subjects, all nearby food was left in Canterlot. The scraggly forest before them was nothing but a mass of dead trees. No sustenance would be found there. Eventually, all of them would starve if they sat and did nothing.

"Princess Celestia...what are we going to do?" Fluttershy, who was trembling with fear and shock, didn't understand what just happened. All she knew was fear. She had seen death before, but never on this scale. This massive genocide had never before been even imagined by ponies in all of Equestria's history.

Celestia's heart completely shattered when she saw the look on Fluttershy's face. Utter hopelessness and fear. It was on all their faces, including Celestia's own.

"I...I honestly don't know." Was all Celestia was able to say in response. It was true. Celestia usually had a fallback plan. That fallback plan usually was the Elements of Harmony. They were back in the ruins of Canterlot, likely destroyed. Celestia shuddered at the thought of the Elements being obliterated by the aliens. Or worse, captured.

"Well, we can't just sit around and wait!" Rainbow Dash, though exhausted, knew that sitting around and doing nothing meant certain death. "Something has to be done! I say we take that thing head on," Rainbow gestured to the huge purple ship floating over the ruins of Canterlot. "If we can take that thing down, Equestria wins."

Celestia liked the prospect of destroying the foul ship that had destroyed her city, but she saw no way how.

Rainbow Dash was quick to reassure them. She turned and faced the entire crowd of hopeless ponies, and said, "Ponies of Equestria, here me out! Rest assured, I'm just as tired as all of you; just as hopeless as many of you. But I know one thing, if we sit around here and do nothing, we'll all die! That evil ship up there, must be destroyed if we want to keep living."

The crowd of ponies mumbled about themselves doubtfully. There was no way they could take on that massive alien vessel without dying.

Before the remaining fear-driven ponies abandoned all hope, Celestia spoke with a regal tone,

"I know this is a daunting task to ask of you. I can hardly ask you of anything more. You all have performed your duties nobly. You all helped each other in our darkest hour. You are all heroes, warriors who fight against unbeatable foes." Celestia gestured to the fearsome purple ship hovering in the sky.

"No matter how hard the task, no matter how unbeatable the enemy seemed, you all have beaten them before by the same power that lets you stand alive today. The magic of friendship. How Discord was imprisoned in stone, how the Nightmare Moon was reformed, you know the stories. Today, let's show those aliens just how friendly we are!"

The crowed cheered and applauded, throwing hats and helmets into the sky. For the first time that day, every single pony felt the spark of hope in them again. They could actually destroy the alien invaders, and bring peace to Equestria once more.

Celestia felt something tap her lightly on the shoulder. She turned around and saw Fluttershy hovering inches away from her.

"Um, sorry to bother you, but how are we all supposed to get on the floating thing?"

Celestia hadn't thought about that small problem before. Not all of the ponies in their wandering band could fly.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," Was all she could think of at the moment. "Right now, I'm more concerned on how I'm going to keep everypony alive long enough to get there."