• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 16,676 Views, 303 Comments

Noble Six - InfinitySlayer



Noble Six was a hero. He is remembered for his death. He will be remembered for how he continued living.

  • ...
57
 303
 16,676

Spartans Never Die...

August 30, 2552. 20:00 hours. Planet Reach.

Noble Six watched as shining Phantoms flew in from the sky, accompanied by screaming Banshees. The world around him was nothing but a barren wasteland, with small, partly destroyed concrete buildings all around him.

Noble Six was holding a DMR, a UNSC grade semi-automatic rifle. At his hip was a Magnum, a UNSC grade handgun. But in that moment, it didn’t matter what weapons he had. He knew his time was about end

He had already watched as his comrades fell. The rest of Noble Team, Carter, Kat, Emile, Jun, Jorge… all dead. He was the last man standing.

He also watched as Reach burned. The once prosperous planet, home to the Spartan program, now incinerating into glass.

The Covenant, relentless aliens who would do anything to destroy mankind, had overrun Reach. The UNSC had tried to resist, but in the end, all for nothing. Or, almost nothing. In one last desperate attempt to save the human race, he himself had brought the Package, the key to humanities' salvation, to the Pillar of Autumn, which made it to safety.

Noble Six snapped back into reality when he realized his time here wasn’t quite done. He wasn’t going to go down without a fight.
Quickly, he sprinted down the metallic structure he had been resting on. A couple of moments later, he encountered a small building, more like a fragmented concrete hut. He knew it was going to be the best cover he was getting. He then located a spare Spartan armor ability: Armor Lock. It had the ability to send the user's armor into overdrive, protecting him from the strongest anti-personnel rounds for a few moments. The only drawback was immobility while in use.

He then turned around to look for any Covies. He saw three Grunts, the main foot soldier of the Covenant, on approach. They were stumpy, rather pathetic creatures, armed with the most inexpensive weapons the Covenant could supply them with. They were essentially fodder for the stronger troops of the Covenant. Often, they were sent into battle completely unarmed, simply to take incoming fire.

Noble Six aimed down the sights of his DMR and fired three semi-armor piercing bullets. Every single one hit a Grunt square between the eyes, immobilizing them instantly. Noble Six admired his skill, but he knew he would shortly run out of ammo, regardless of how accurate he was.

He realized that a DMR and a Magnum weren’t enough firepower for his given situation. Quickly, he started looking for another weapon. Outside one of the openings of the building, he found an Assault Rifle, an automatic grade weapon, useful for taking down stronger targets like Elites.

The Elites were a much more difficult to defeat than Grunts They stood at least seven feet tall, always had tough armor on, and had a bad attitude. Driven by their religion, they thought that humanity was a threat to the Great Journey, and had to be eliminated. Not that the Grunts didn’t think the same way to, the Elites just had a stronger conviction.

Once about ten feet away from Noble Six, a Minor class Elite, the lowest among their ranking, opened fire at Six with his Plasma Rifle, a Covenant plasma-based weapon with high enough internal temperatures to melt flesh and bone.

Before the Plasma Rifle devoured his shields, he ducked behind the cover of the building. He then waited for a few seconds for his shield to recharge. Before it had completely done so, the Elite walked into the building. To Noble Six’s surprise, the Elite didn’t seem to notice him, and walked past where he was standing.

Quietly, he walked behind the Elite, and jumped on its back. Before it could do anything about it, he stabbed the Elite in the neck, and it collapsed on the ground, dead.

After this, he quickly continued to look for more Covenant. It didn’t take long for him to find some. Four Elites accompanied by five Grunts were quickly making their way in a haphazard formation towards his position.

Most of the Grunts were carrying Plasma Pistols, a Covenant plasma-based handgun that is only slightly less deadly than the Plasma Rifle. One was holding a Needler, a Covenant weapon that shoots pink needles of death at you. If enough stick into you, they chemically react with each other, and explode in rather violent spectacle.

Noble Six already had his DMR raised, aiming for one of the Grunt’s head. He let off a round, penetrating the thick skull of the gray-armored Grunt. He aimed to fire another shot, but before he could do so, a Ranger Elite, a breed of Elite skilled in search and destroy tactics opened fire with a Plasma Repeater, a higher tech weapon that has the capability to sustain a longer stream of fire than the Plasma Rifle.


Before Noble Six could get behind cover, his shields were disintegrated by the melting power of the plasma. A Grunt then shot him with a couple blasts from his Plasma Pistol, injuring him slightly. Before anything else shot him, Noble Six took cover behind a rough concrete wall. He was a little surprised to see a crack in his visor that disabled his HUD, removing all of his armor's tactical abilities.

When his shields were recharged, he went from out of the cover of the wall, into the open air. He still saw the remaining four Elites and four Grunts. They had already started shooting at him, but Noble Six was evading the shots.
Quickly, he traded his DMR for his Assault Rifle, aimed at one of the Elites, and started shooting. Though the Elite tried to evade the incoming fire, he was still no match for Noble Six’s excellent accuracy with the Assault Rifle.

Once the Elites shields were down, Noble Six pulled out his DMR, aimed for the head of the raging Elite, and fired. The Elite went down instantly, dead. A second after this, Noble Six was surprised to see a blue ball of energy hurling towards him. It took him a second to realize what it was.

It was a Plasma Grenade, a Covenant plasma-based grenade. If it stuck to you, you’re dead. Almost involuntarily, Noble Six activated his Armor Lock, an ability that makes you invincible for a few seconds. To his relief, the Plasma Grenade bounced off his Armor Lock, and exploded on the ground, leaving him unfazed.

Noble Six then released the Armor Lock, the invincible field of energy popping and disintegrating away. After thanking himself for picking it up in the first place, he looked to see what the Covenant was doing. They looked enraged, probably because they didn’t like that the human would cheat like that.

All of them now opened fire against Noble Six. His shields were gone in two seconds. Now that they were gone, he could feel the frying power of plasma eating through his armor. He had no cover to hide behind. His Armor Lock was still recharging.
Noble Six quickly chucked a grenade at a group of Grunts, hopefully to buy himself some time. His throw was good, the frag grenade caused the sad Grunts to fly dramatically away, but it wasn’t enough to stop the charge of the Elites.

Noble Six’s helmet was now too damaged to be of any use. He took it off, and after taking one last look at it, threw it on the ground. He knew he was being barraged by tons of plasma, but he could hardly feel it through his warrior's instincts.

At the moment that he threw his helmet on the ground, a white armored Ultra Elite charged at him, Plasma Rifle blazing. Noble Six quickly killed the Elite with his Assault Rifle and it collapsed to the ground in a crumpled heap. But more Elites came charging from over hills, behind buildings, dropped from Phantoms, on all sides
.
Noble Six suddenly found himself surrounded by Elites. He now pulled out his Magnum, holding both that and his Assault Rifle at the same time, and tore int Elites from all sides. Elite after Elite fell, but they always seemed to be coming, an endless tide of anger and destruction.

A few seconds later, Noble Six was knocked over by a red armored Zealot class Elite. He fell to the ground, and the Elite was moving in for the kill. Before it could impale him with its Energy Sword, Noble Six kicked it, and it went staggering backwards. At this moment, Noble Six abandoned all weapons, and used only his fists.

Another white armored Ultra Elite tried to impale him with an Energy Sword, but Noble Six kicked this one away too. Shortly afterward, the red Zealot Elite that Noble Six had kicked a few seconds before recovered, and moved to impale Noble Six with his Energy Sword.


“There will be a mighty storm tonight, I can feel it.”

Two elderly ponies sat in old wooden rocking chairs, gazing into the night sky. Life had been easy for them, not a terrible thing had happened to them their entire life. Formally retired, the pair could sit back and gaze at the night sky for the rest of their days.

“Of course not, there’s not a cloud in the sky! And the Weather Ponies haven’t scheduled a major downpour for at least a weak.”

For a few moments, the other old pony sat and stared into the starry night sky.

“I didn’t mean that kind of storm. I meant the kind of storm worse than all others. The kind of storm that can’t be controlled by anything and it ain’t inclement weather.”

They both sat in silence for a few moments, wondering what the other was thinking.

“I don’t think I understand you.”

The other elderly pony looked into his wife’s eyes.

“I don’t think I understand myself. I don’t know if anything will happen. I only said I could feel it.”


Noble Six stood still for a fraction of a second, wondering how he was going to die. Was he going to be impaled by the Elite charging him with its Energy Sword? Would another finish him off with a Needle Rifle? But then, Noble Six realized that he was a Spartan. A UNSC super soldier made to save humanity. And most importantly, he was a Noble. Noble Six resolved that his time here wasn’t done. He still had a duty towards not just his country, but his fallen comrades. For Noble Team.

Before the Zealot could finish his strike, Noble Six punched the Elites hand, the one that was holding the Energy Sword. The Elite was caught off guard, and the Energy Sword went flying off to the right.

“This one’s for Noble 1!”

Noble Six stabbed the Zealot Elite in the neck with his combat knife. The Elite didn’t have time to react.

Now on his feet, Noble Six saw the Ultra Elite charging at him with his Energy Sword. Before it could land a killing blow, Noble Six backhanded it in the side of the head.

“This one’s for Noble 2!”

The Elite went flying off to the left and landed on the side of a cliff, dead.

Noble Six now darted for the Energy Sword the Zealot had been using. After dashing to get it, he saw a gold armored General class Elite charging at him with an Energy Sword. Before the Elite could make a move, however, Noble Six jumped in the air, and came smashing down upon the Elite, impaling it with his Energy Sword.

“This one’s for Noble 3!”

The Elite never knew what hit him.

At that moment, a blue armored Minor class Elite was trying to be a hero. It was holding two Plasma Rifles, one in each claw, and had them blazing at Noble Six. The Elites mortal mistake, however, was that it thought that if it got close to Noble Six, it had the capability of dealing increased damage. Noble Six knew this was his chance.

Once the Elite was a meter away, Noble Six darted forward, in front of the Elite, and sliced it across the chest with his Energy Sword. The Elite staggered back, its chest dripping blood, and fell over, dead.

“This one’s for Noble 4!”

Noble Six’s heart started to drop again when he saw the endless tide of Elites charging towards him. But there was no way he was going to surrender. He was going to fight until death. Like Noble Team.

Noble Six looked for the closest Elite too him. He saw a rare sight, a Field Marshall class Elite, the highest rank in their army, rushing towards him an Energy Sword.

The Elite raised his Energy Sword wielding claw up for a downwards strike, but before it could do so, Noble Six caught it by surprise when he impaled it in the chest. The Elite went down in an instant.

“This one’s for Noble 5!”

Noble Six felt his adrenaline pumping. He felt like he could take on anything. But the endless tide was still coming.

Then all the sudden, it stopped. The dozens of Elites just stopped in their tracks. Noble Six starred at them in utter confusion. Why on Earth would they stop? For that matter, why would they stop and not shoot at him?

Noble Six was still too shocked to do anything but watch. He looked closer at the Elites. From what he could see, their strange mandible like faces seemed to be curled in their equivalent of a smile. They also seemed to be looking past Noble Six, as if something behind him was more interesting. Noble Six sensed something horribly wrong.

Involuntarily, Noble Six turned around. He saw before him the most terrifying sight of his life.

It looked like an Elite on steroids. It stood at least nine feet tall. It's armor was deep black, as if the night sky itself had been welded into its frame. The Elite wielded dual Energy Swords, one of which, were aimed at his head.

Before Noble Six could do anything, the Elite, he supposed, dropped one of its Energy Swords, and picked up Noble Six with its free claw. Its grip was so tight that Noble Six was forced to drop his Energy Sword.
Now at eye level with the Elite, he could see its terrifying yellow eyes, burrowing into his very soul. Then the Elite spoke with a voice like thunder.

“I admire your valor, human, but all who oppose the Great Journey must die. You are no different.”

Noble Six was surprised to hear it speak in English. Very few Covenant were that fluent in English. Most of them only new how to curse in all human languages. Noble Six knew he had to respond somehow.

“You speak of valor Elite; you don’t know the first thing about it. Your vision of valor is murdering another species. You’ve killed the best examples of it you can find.”

The Elite was enraged. It now brought up its Energy Sword wielding hand, and aimed it at Noble Six’s heart. Before it could do finish its mortal blow, Noble Six pulled out his combat knife with his free hand, and drove it into the Elites shoulder.
The Elite cried out in pain as it immediately released its grip on Noble Six.

“And that one…that one’s for me.”

He watched as the Elite was desperately trying to remove the knife from its shoulder. Noble Six now picked up another Energy Sword, and moved to finish the job. Before he could do so, however, the dozens of Elites behind him saw that their leader was in trouble, and started shooting at Noble Six again.

Noble Six didn’t have any ranged weapons. He would likely be dead before they got close. But then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw something purple coming towards him. It was a Banshee, a Covenant air vehicle. It was raining plasma down upon him.
Noble Six suddenly realized something. A way out. The Banshee was now using its boost ability, moving twice as fast towards Noble Six, attempting to splatter him. Noble Six waited patiently for the perfect moment. Then, when the Banshee was right next to him, Noble Six grabbed on to one of the wings, lifted up the hatch that held the pilot, kicked out the Elite that was driving it, and got in himself.

With this done, Noble Six flew away from the mob of enraged Elites, who were screaming curses at him.
Noble Six looked down at the land bellow him. It was starting to grow dark, and he could see less and less. From what he could see, the planet bellow him was not yet completely glassed. At least he would get too see it one last time.
About two minutes later, he pointed the nose of the Banshee up, and began to fly upwards. Now he could see a Covenant cruiser moving quickly over a snow peaked mountain. Noble Six could only watch as the cruiser engaged its devastating cleansing beam, incinerating a huge portion of the landscape into nothing but glass.

After witnessing this, Noble Six continued to fly upwards. He was unsure whether or not the Banshee could fly in space, but he had seen it happen before, and it was worth a shot.

About five minutes of flying later, he finally exited atmosphere. He now could see an armada of Covenant ships orbiting the planet. There were so many, no wonder Reach fell. As he grew closer to them, he saw a squad of Banshees nearing him. He was about to shoot them, before he had a flash of sense, and realized that they had no idea that inside his Banshee there was a Spartan. They just thought he was a Covenant.

With renewed confidence, he flew past the squadron of Banshees. They barely even recognized his presence. If he were in a Saber, it would be a different story.

Noble Six turned his Banshee around too look at Reach one last time. The planet was currently in the process of being glassed. He watched as huge green portions of the planet were burned into nothingness.

One day, Noble Six thought, I will have my revenge.

After he had seen enough, he turned the Banshee around again, and flew away from Planet Reach, never once looking back.
He continued to fly away from Reach until he passed by all the Covenant cruisers. He was never challenged, because he looked like any normal Banshee on patrol. After he had flown past all the cruisers, he began to wonder what he would do now. Banshees didn’t have slip space control, he knew that. He wasn’t going anywhere. He also wasn’t sure whether or not this thing had an oxygen generator on board. If it didn’t, he was screwed.

Noble Six looked around on the control panel for anything that could be helpful. He found a Plasma Rifle and a Plasma Pistol resting in their individual holsters. Other than that, just flashing buttons. He was only trained to fly one of these things, and that was it. He then decided that pressing a button would be better than not.

He pushed a random flashing yellow button.

Immediately, a long piercing sound rang, and Noble Six could no longer hear himself think. Then, a secret compartment opened from the control panel, revealing a mask of some kind. That mask then shot out from the compartment, and onto Noble Six’s face. The mask wasn’t made for humans, obviously, and it fit awkwardly. Then, Noble Six started smelling something foul coming from the mask. And before he could do anything about it, he was unconscious.

Author's Note:

My very FIRST fiction! Please tell me how I did and how I can improve!