• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 690 Views, 33 Comments

Blue Skye's Story - Skyfire Storm



My OC, a Pegasus pony named Blue Skye goes through life's ups and downs with his friends.

  • ...
8
 33
 690

Blue's New Rival

May 10, 2006
"Hey, Blue. Are you excited for the prom? It's in a week's time." Meadow explained.

"Yeah, about that... Meadow." Blue begun, feeling a bit awkward.

"Yeah?" she replied.

"You know how almost everypony in the class picked somepony to go with them to the prom?" Blue said. "I wanted to ask if you'd want to come with me to the prom..." he explained, finally managing to overcome his nervousness.

"Of course I would, Blue..." she replied, smiling.

"You would?" Blue asked.

"Yep. I mean, it'll be fun, plus you know I won't go with anypony else." Meadow said.

"Of course it'll be fun... I'm gonna have my lovely marefriend beside me and we'll dance the whole night... just you and me." Blue said. Meadow simply chuckled and put her hoof around Blue.

"Blue?" Meadow asked.

"Yeah?" Blue replied.

"Thank you for being my coltfriend..You've helped me through so much and you care about me." Meadow said and smiled.

"No, Meadow. Thank you for being my marefriend... You made life a whole lot more pleasant for me. You're sweet, kind, caring and beautiful." Blue explained. Meadow gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you. You're so sweet, Blue..." Meadow said. "But you better be off. I mean, your shift on the weather team starts in 15 minutes."

"Yeah. See you, Meadow." Blue replied and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Meadow smiled and blushed.

"Bye Blue." she replied and trotted off. Blue then entered the Weather Factory and went up to his platform, where there was a new weather pony standing, one which Blue hadn't seen at the Factory before.

"Hey. You new here?" Blue asked.

"Yep." the new weather pony replied. "Just moved up here from Los Pegasus."

"Los Pegasus, huh?" Blue said. "I've been there once and I absolutely loved it."

"It's a nice place, although I've always wanted to live here. There's more open spaces, much cleaner air and lots of opportunities to fly." he said. "The name's Storm Blaze."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Blue Skye." Blue replied. Before the two weather ponies could converse with each other, their boss came up to the platform.

"I see you've already met our new transfer Storm Blaze, Blue." he said.

"Yes sir." Blue replied. "He seems pretty cool."

"He is." the boss explained. "Show Blue what you can do, Storm Blaze."

"Yes, sir." Storm Blaze replied and flew off outside to clean the sky. About fifteen seconds later, he returned. Blue turned to look out of the Weather Factory; no clouds could be seen on the horizon. His jaw dropped. Not even Blue, who according to the boss, was the best flyer on the weather team, could reach a speed that high.

"Hey, Blue. Any problems with Blaze and you tell me, alright?" the boss said. Blue nodded. "Alright. I want you two to start now. Your shifts end at 9:30."

"Yes sir." Blue said.

"Alright. Off you go." the boss said and walked off.

"So, how long have you been a weather pony for, Blaze?" Blue asked.

"About two years... I created all sorts of weather back in Los Pegasus, from ordinary things like rain showers in the mountains north of the city to more exciting things like a sandstorm in the San Palomino Desert. It's not something I usually brag about." Blaze explained.

"The most impressive type of weather I managed to create was... A supercell thunderstorm." Blue said.

"Seriously? That's all?" Blaze asked. "Even my younger brother can make better weather than that. He's only 10."

Jerk... Blue thought to himself.

"I've made blizzards, sandstorms and the occasional tornado." Blaze explained. "Impressed yet?" Blue was anything but impressed. He was jealous of his new colleague, but decided not to show his jealousy.

"Yeah. I kind of am..." Blue replied.

"How fast can you fly, Blue?" Blaze asked.

"Hm... I'll show you." Blue replied. He fluttered his wings and zoomed off towards the arena, which was visible from the weather factory on the horizon. About thirty seconds or so later and Blue returned.

"I have no idea exactly how fast that was... but that was the fastest I can go." Blue explained, panting.

"It was good, but now, I'll try." Blaze said and zoomed off towards the Cloudsdale Arena and returned about 20 seconds later.

"You did better than I did...." Blue remarked.

"That's what I'm known for..." Blaze replied. "Too tired to work?" He mockingly asked.

"No... In fact, I'm more awake than I was before." Blue replied.

"Why don't you prove it..." Blaze asked.

"Sure thing. What do you want me to do?" Blue asked.

"Come with me." Blaze replied and flew outside of the Weather Factory, with Blue following him not far behind. The two weather ponies eventually landed on the top of a nearby apartment building.

"So, why are we here?" Blue asked.

"See those clouds?" Blaze said and pointed to a large bank of stationary clouds.

"Yep." Blue replied.

"Identify them for me." Blaze said.

"Nimbus, am I correct?" Blue replied.

"Yep." Blaze said. "Listen, whoever cleans those clouds up first... gets a free soda." The mention of soda made Blue thirsty.

"It's a deal." Blue replied.

"Alright. On the count of three, we take off." Blaze said. Blue prepared himself to take off. "Three, two, one, go!" he shouted and both Pegasi took off the roof of the building and flew towards the bank of clouds, with Blaze being in the lead.

"Look, you're pretty fast... but would you mind slowing down?" Blue complained.

"I thought you said you're awake." Blaze replied. "Keep up, gramps."

"From what I can tell, you're older than me, so calling me 'gramps' is irrelevant." Blue explained.

"Shut up, Blue." Blaze simply replied. Blue shook his head and tried to pass Blaze, but Blaze was too far for him. Blaze finally reached the cloud bank and turned to face Blue, grinning. He then begun to fly through the clouds at a rapid speed. Just looking at Blaze ripping through the clouds made Blue dizzy. Blue then flew over to the other end of the cloud bank and begun to fly through it, but by the time Blue even managed to start, most of the cloud easy already gone.

"Ai'ght, you win..." Blue said. "I am pretty tired."

"You can't fool me, Blue Skye." Blaze said. "I'm just better than you."

"Ugh..." Blue complained.

"Looks like the soda is mine..." Blaze said with a smirk and flew back towards the Weather Factory, leaving Blue alone.

A few hours later...
Blue Skye walked into the house, looking quite tired. He walked upstairs, but not without going unnoticed by Summer Skies and Firestorm.

"Hey sweetie. How was your day?" Summer asked.

"It could have gone better." Blue replied.

"What happened?" Firestorm asked.

"There's this new guy in the Weather Factory... and he's... better than me." Blue explained.

"What do you mean he's "better than you"?" Firestorm asked.

"I mean, he flies better and faster than me, he busts clouds better than me and he makes impressive weather down south. I'm pretty much nothing compared to him." Blue said.

"Don't say that, Blue." Summer said and nuzzled him. "You're easily the best pony on the Weather Team, and don't let some idiot say that you're not."

"Thanks mom..." Blue replied.

"My pleasure, son. Remember, don't let him bring you down. You're better than him, in your own way." Summer comforted Blue.

"Yeah, I guess. Thanks mom." Blue replied. Summer smiled at him. "So, how can I be better than him?" he asked.

"Don't try and be better than him, Blue. Just be yourself." Summer replied.

"Alright... Thanks for the advice mom." Blue said.

"You're welcome son." Summer said. "Hungry? I made you some hay fries."

"Yes, please." Blue replied. Summer smiled at him and went into the kitchen.

"I'd say you kick his flank." Firestorm said. Blue simply chuckled.

"Nah, I don't want to kick his flank, Firestorm." Blue replied.

"Are you scared?" he asked.

"Me? Of course not. It's just an idiot at work. It's nothing bad." Blue explained.

The next day...
After school, Blue went to the Weather Factory. As he walked up to his platform, he noticed that Storm Blaze was standing on it.

"Hey, what are you doing at my platform?" Blue asked.

"Who says it's your platform?" Blaze replied.

"This is where I usually go to work..." Blue explained.

"Not anymore." Blaze replied, smirking.

"Says who?" Blue countered.

"Excuse me, where's Blue supposed to go?" Blaze asked. Their supervisor then walked up to Blaze's platform.

"Blue, we changed your platform. You're on the other side of the building now." the boss explained.

"You did?" Blue asked, with a bewildered gaze. "B-but when?"

"A few hours back. It's just so I can monitor Storm Blaze." the boss explained.

"Alright then." Blue replied and trotted off towards his new platform, but not before giving Blaze a glare.

"So, Blaze. Were you, bothering Blue or any of the other weather ponies?" The boss asked.

"Uh, no sir." Blaze lied.

"That's good. Because If you do, I'll not be happy. Understood?" The boss said.

"Yep." Blaze replied.

"Good, now get working." The boss said and walked off, leaving Blue, Blaze and some other weather ponies.

"So, Blue. Are you up for another soda?" Blaze asked, pointing to a large bank of clouds on the horizon.

"Don't start, you idiot." Blue replied, with a glare.

"Blue-boy has some tough remarks. See you, sucker." Blaze replied and flew off. Within seconds, all the clouds begun to disappear. Blue sighed and flew after Blaze, who was almost done with the clouds.

"Mom said I should be myself... and so I will be. My cutie mark is to do with cloud-busting, so I'm not gonna let some jerk ruin it for me." Blue said to himself and flew into a still intact cloud. He then flew through it rapidly, causing it to expand and evaporate. It was enough for Blaze to notice.

"Hey, this is my cloud, not yours." Blaze said.

"I'm up for that soda, Blaze." Blue replied and grinned.

"You sure you can handle this, gramps?" Blaze asked.

"Yep...", Blue replied, feeling a bit unsure. Blaze smirked and pointed to a large cumulonimbus cloud, several miles from Cloudsdale. This cloud was a dissipating thunderstorm and would prove a significant challenge to fly through.

"Whoever busts that sucker first, gets a free soda from the loser." Blaze explained, with a sly grin.

"Oh, no. I'm not flying through THAT." Blue replied.

"What's the matter, Blue-boy? Chicken?" Blaze asked. Blue was having none of it.

"Meet you there, Blaze." Blue replied and flew off, at the highest speed he can fly at. Blaze sighed and flew after him. As Blue flew forward at high speeds, he turned his head backwards and noticed Blaze getting closer to him. He tried to increase his speed, but eventually he begun to slow down. He estimated that there's still about a mile left until he reaches the base of the thunderhead. Already, the sky begun to darken and distant rumbles of thunder could be heard. Despite the changing conditions, Blue still continued flying, but at a much lower speed than before, which allowed Blaze to catch up with him.

"Maybe you're worse than I thought you were." Blaze said, smiling. "You have no talent here whatsoever, while I have lots of it. Your cutie mark is a fake and your skills as a weather pony? They're worse than a foals. You should quit and get a different job. You're just useless here." Blaze's harsh words saddened Blue, who slowed down noticeably. They were reaching the dissipating storm cloud, when Blue straightened up. He remembered his determination for his job and impressing his parents and promised himself he'd try and amount to them.

"You know what?" Blue asked.

"What?" Blaze replied.

"I'm not letting a punk like you put me down like that. You may be a better flyer and a faster cloud-buster, but I put my heart and soul into my job." Blue replied. "So long, idiot." he said, before speeding up his flying and overtaking Blaze. Blaze turned to face Blue, who was flying deeper and deeper into the stormy skies. He groaned and flew faster towards Blue. Blue turned back to notice Blaze and happened to fly by a harmless little cloud. He scooped up a large ball of cloud dust and threw it back at Blaze.

"Woah!" shouted Blaze and ducked, just before the cloud hall flew over him. Blue chuckled and reached the storm cloud first. He shouted with joy and begun to fly through the cloud, causing it to slowly evaporate. Blaze reached the cloud shortly after and also flew into it, in order to prevent Blue from finishing his cloud-busting.

"Where did you come from?" Blue shouted at Blaze. Blue was less than halfway through with the cloud busting process, which meant Blaze still had a chance to beat him and a chance to win that soda.

"What an idiot." Blaze said and flew through the cloud at high speeds. Blue sighed and flew at the highest speed he could fly at. He eventually managed to have the entire left half of the cloud gone, while severe turbulence in the other half of the cloud prevented Blaze from getting as far. Blue flew into what remained of the storm cloud and caused the rest to evaporate, before picking up an extremely dizzy and uncomfortable Blaze.

"Looks like the soda is on you, Blaze." He said with a grin forming on his face. Blaze sighed.

"Fine..." he said with a glare.

"Are you alright?" Blue asked.

"Does it look like I'm alright?!" Blaze shouted. "No I'm not."

"I'm sorry you lost..." Blue said, grinning.

"Shut up." Blaze replied. "Let's just go get that soda." he said and flew off towards Cloudsdale. Blue grinned and flew after him. After work, Blue trotted back home, with a large smile on his face. He entered the house, and was greeted by Lightning Fast and Summer Skies; Firestorm was playing at a friend's house.

"Hey son." Lightning said.

'Hi dad..." Blue replied.

"My, my. You're happy today." Summer said.

"I am. I finally showed that jerk what I'm made of." Blue explained.

"That's great, Blue." Summer said and nuzzled him.

"What jerk?" Lightning asked.

"His name is Storm Blaze." Blue explained.

"Wait, isn't that the new guy?" Lightning asked.

"Yep, that's him." Blue replied.

"So, he's been bullying you?" Lightning asked.

"More like "testing" me." Blue replied.

"You should have told me that he was angering you. I would have had kicked his flank." Lightning said. Over the years, Lightning was promoted up to Assistant Supervisor, which gave him some power over the Weather Factory, including sometimes firing unruly employees.

"Yeah, about that. I'm sorry for not telling you about him, dad." Blue said. Lightning gave him a reassuring smile.

"It's alright son. But you should tell me or mom next time. Alright?" Lightning said.

"Sir, yes sir." Blue replied with a grin. Lightning and Summer chuckled.

The next day...
As Blue walked up to the Weather Factory, he noticed that the previously blue sky was beginning to grow more cloudier by the minute. He also remembered it was time for the weather ponies to create a thunderstorm, as it was getting a bit too warm. He walked up to the entrance, but was approached by Blaze, who was angrier than ever.

"Uh.. hi." Blue said with an awkward voice.

"Look, today the weather team is doing a thunderstorm. Did anypony tell you?" He asked.

"Yeah, a few weeks back." Blue replied.

"Good, you better not ruin my cloud busting." Blaze replied.

"Whatever you say, Blaze." Blue simply replied.

"Shut up." he said and pulled open the glass door to the Weather Factory and walked in. Blue followed him in. After being briefed by the supervisor, the weather ponies went to their platforms and looked outside. The storm was raging outside, literally. The rain, despite being center about 20 miles away over Ponyville, was heard in the Weather Factory and the thunder was literally echoing through the ears of the weather ponies.

"Alright everypony, you all know the drill. Once that storm begins to dissipate, which will be in a few minutes' time, you all fly towards it and bust it. This isn't a race, Blue and Blaze." the supervisor said and glared at the two. "You're only going to fly through that cloud, fly back and that's it for today. Alright? Good. I want you all to prepare and I'll tell you when to take off." He then walked up to his viewing platform, which gave the weather team an opportunity to prepare. Blue turned to look at the thunderhead and cringed. Despite his many achievements on the weather team, he was terrified of thunderstorms, let alone flying through them.

"Scared?" Blaze asked. Blue turned to face him.

"Me? No." Blue replied.

"You sure?" Blaze asked.

"Not exactly..." Blue replied,.

"Why are you on the weather team if you're scared of a thunderstorm?" Blaze asked.

"Because, I'm trying to impress my parents, plus I always wanted to be a weather pony." Blue replied.

"You wanted to impress mommy and daddy? Who would be impressed by you?" Blaze asked. Blue begun to feel angry and begun to fight the urge to punch Blaze in the face. This was personal.

"That's enough, Blaze. Don't taunt Blue like that." a voice said. Blaze turned to face Lightning Fast.

"Sorry sir." Blaze replied.

"And so you should be." Lightning said. "Two more attempts to bully Blue and I'll personally see to it that you're off the weather team. Alright?"

"Yes sir." Blaze replied and went back to his platform.

"Thanks dad..." Blue said and smiled at him.

"My pleasure, son. I couldn't watch you being bullied by him." Lightning said. "Oh, looks like the storm is beginning to dissipate. You should prepare yourself."

"Yeah, thanks again dad." Blue replied and hugged him.

"You're welcome, son... but we're drawing a crowd here!" he said and looked around. There were several weather ponies looking at them.

"Oh, right." Blue replied and awkwardly smiled. "My bad."

"See you later son. I'll be watching you all with the boss." Lightning said.

"See you dad." Blue replied. Lightning then flew up to where the supervisor was standing at and winked at Blue. Blue returned the wink.

"Alright, you sissies. Go!" the boss said and blew his whistle. The weather ponies all flew off their platforms and flew outside towards the storm. Blue was one of the ponies who were in the lead and looked to see Blaze approaching him from behind. He then flew lower, in order to pass some weather ponies before him. There were about eight of them in total who were to bust through the cloud. After passing beneath the weather ponies, Blue turned back to see if Blaze was there. He grinned. Blaze was not seen anywhere behind, which meant he must have either slowed down significantly or have just been overtook by the rest of the weather ponies. Right? Blue sure did think so, and turned to face the front. The corner of his left eye caught a dark shape moving beside him, but Blue dismissed it as a cloud. He turned to face the shape and was startled out of his mind. It was Storm Blaze, who somehow managed to get to where Blue is flying.

"Woah! Where did you come from?" Blue asked and flew backwards.

"I flew around them, you idiot. And like I said before, you're not gonna ruin my cloud-busting." Blaze explained and flew into the side of Blue, knocking him off course. Blue spiraled out of control and landed on a puffy white cloud. By the time he got up off the cloud, most of the weather ponies overtook him.

"Ugh..." Blue groaned as he slowly took off the cloud. He looked at the thunderhead, which despite dissipating, still towered ominously above Blue. Blue turned back to face Cloudsdale; it looked far smaller than it really is. He was having thoughts about flying back home, but then remembered what Summer said about being himself. He was one of the best ponies on the weather team, and he was giving up? Blue groaned and took off to rejoin the other weather ponies, who were over a mile in front of him. The increased turbulence in this part of the sky was beginning to get on Blue's nerves. He hated turbulence, starting from his first flight lesson, when the wind was absolutely horrible., but this didn't stop him. After flying through the turbulence, he rejoined the others and flew to his position in the lead. Blaze turned to look at Blue flying towards him. He tried to speed up, but Blue landed several feet in front of him and before he knew it, Blue already reached the base of the cloud. A few seconds later, the other weather ponies reached the storm cloud and begun to fly through it. Blue was already halfway done, when he looked at a shape flying into his half of the cloud. It was a very angry Blaze.

"What's gotten into you?" Blue asked.

"Stop taking my cloud!" Blaze shouted.

"You idiot! Don't you freaking see that this is a team effort?" Blue yelled and pointed to the other weather ponies, who were almost done with the other half of the cloud.

"You give me my cloud or I'll beat you up when we come back." Blaze threatened.

Blaze-boy has some tough remarks. Blue thought to himself. He then flew out of the cloud and motioned for Blaze to fly into it. Blaze groaned and flew into the cloud and begun to destroy it. Despite the storm dissipating, the turbulence was still there and proved to be a challenge for Blaze to fly through.

"Ugh..." Blaze growled as the wind pushed him all over the cloud. He then flew at the cloud with all his might and begun to tear through it. The turbulence eventually managed to force him out of the cloud and down towards the ground.

"HELP!" Blaze yelled as he fell towards the ground. Blue and some of the other weather ponies noticed this. Blue didn't waste his time and flew downwards to catch up to the falling Pegasus.

He eventually managed to reach Blaze. "Hey, try and flap your wings!" Blue yelled to the stallion.

"Fine!" Blaze shouted back and done so, but it was way too hard for him to do so. Blue then flew beneath Blaze and grabbed him with his wing.

"Gotcha." Blue said.

"Thanks... for saving me." Blaze replied.

"Don't mention it..." Blue said and sighed as they flew upwards.

"About what I've been saying and doing to you lately... I'm sorry. I just want to be the best weather pony I can be, even better than you." Blaze explained.

"And you really think insulting me and saying you're better than me is gonna make you any better than me?" Blue asked.

"No." Blaze simply replied.

"Look, Blaze. I know how much you want to be better than me and everypony else, but you should just be yourself. Then, ponies will appreciate you for who you really are." Blue replied.

"Thanks, and about that... Maybe we can be friends." Blaze said.

"Maybe..." Blue replied. After finishing work, Blue returned home, as usual. He was quite happy today, due to the situation between him and his rival Blaze being sorted out.

"Hey son." Summer said and nuzzled him. "I've heard about what happened at work today. That was a very brave and noble thing to do."

"Aww... mom. I was just trying to do the right thing and even though I hated him, I still couldn't watch him fall like that." Blue explained. Summer smiled and hugged him.

"You're a great colt, Blue. I'm so proud of you." she said. Blue smiled. This day couldn't have went any better for him.

After eating his supper and explaining to Firestorm and grandma Light Ray (who was visiting from Ponyville) what he had done at work today, Blue trotted upstairs and opened his diary. He clicked his pen and begun writing his daily diary extract.

Dear diary,
Today, me and Storm Blaze, who were enemies from the start managed to make peace. I don't really know how long our friendship will last, but I hope it lasts long. It turns out Storm Blaze wanted to be better than everypony else, but I taught him an important lesson. Be yourself.

I hope he takes that lesson into consideration and becomes a better pony, but I also learned something as well. Not to self-doubt. I hope I can be a better and more confident pony as well.

~ Blue Skye

Author's Note:

The next few chapters after this one will feature Meadow as a prominent character and will be super adorable. Stay tuned, everypony. ~ ST477