• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 690 Views, 33 Comments

Blue Skye's Story - Skyfire Storm



My OC, a Pegasus pony named Blue Skye goes through life's ups and downs with his friends.

  • ...
8
 33
 690

A Day With Firestorm

July 22, 2005
Blue lay on a small, but comfortable sofa in his room. It was a fairly hot day in Cloudsdale, and while Blue enjoyed warm weather, today was a little bit too hot for him. He turned to look at a thermometer hanging on one of his walls and looked at the temperature. The thermometer read at 102 degrees, which made it very humid and unpleasant in the house. The air conditioning was turned on, but even that didn't do much against the heat.

"Blue, can you come downstairs please?" a voice called from the living room. It was Summer Skies, who was preparing to leave with Lightning Fast for a date night in Canterlot, as it was their wedding anniversary. Ugh... Blue groaned and slowly pulled himself up and reluctantly walked downstairs.

"Hey mom..." Blue mumbled as he entered the living room. "What's going on?" he asked.

"Me and your dad are going to Canterlot for the day, sweetie. Can you look after Firestorm while we're gone?" Summer asked.

"Uh, sure." Blue replied and turned to look outside, to notice Firestorm jumping up and down on the trampoline.

"Excellent! We'll be back by 9 PM, alright son?" Lightning said.

"Sure thing, dad. He'll be no trouble at all..." Blue replied, feeling a bit nervous about foalsitting Firestorm.

"I'm sure you both will be fine. See you later, sweetie!" Summer said and walked out of the door.

"Bye son. We'll be back at night!" Lightning said and followed her.

"Bye guys..." Blue replied and went outside to see Firestorm continuing to play on the trampoline.

"Okay, little bro. Mom and dad have left me in charge of the house, okay?" Blue said. "That means you listen to me, alright?"

"Okay..." Firestorm replied. "Do you wanna come on and jump?" he asked.

"No thanks." Blue replied. "Hm... I think I have a good idea for what we can do today." he said. "I'm going to teach you how to fly, little bro."

"You are?" Firestorm asked, with a grin slowly forming on his face. Firestorm begun to learn to fly at around Blue's age, but after Lightning suffered a severe wing injury during a bad lightning storm at work, Firestorm didn't manage to fully learn how to fly.

"Sure." Blue replied.

"Okay." Firestorm said. "When are we going?"

"We can go now if you want." Blue replied.

"No, thanks. We'll go later, alright?" Firestorm said.

"Sure thing. So, what do you wanna do now?" Blue asked.

"Hide-n-seek!" Firestorm enthusiastically replied. Blue chuckled to himself. Although he hasn't played hide-n'-seek in a while, Blue still remembered the game from elementary school.

"Alright then, little bro. You're seeking." Blue smirked.

"Oh, you're so on..." Firestorm replied and gave him a sly grin. Blue trotted to hide in some large cloud bushes towards the end of their backyard. He jumped into the cloud bushes and peered out through a small gap between two clouds to notice Firestorm looking around the backyard. He chuckled to himself as he watched Firestorm look all over the backyard in search for Blue. Eventually, Blue's giggling got the better of him and he rolled out of the cloud bushes into plain sight.

"Ah, found you..." Firestorm said and grinned as he looked over Blue. "Now, it's your turn to seek. I bet you'll never find me."

"We'll see about that." Blue countered. Firestorm giggled and trotted away as Blue turned to face the wall of the house. He covered his eyes and begun to count to twenty. After Blue finished counting he uncovered his eyes and turned away from the wall. Hm... where is Firestorm? Blue thought to himself. He then flew up into the air and landed on the top of the chimney. From there, he had a far better view of the garden and noticed something trotting into the cloud bushes near the neighbor's backyard. Blue simply smirked and flew back down into the backyard. Blue looked around and noticed a pair of eyes peeking out of the cloud layer. He chuckled to himself and trotted over to the clouds and pulled them away, revealing Firestorm.

"Who says I won't find you?" Blue asked, with a grin on his face.

"Uh, yeah... I'm not the best at hiding." Firestorm replied.

"Me neither, little bro. Did you enjoy our little game?" Blue asked.

"Yep!" Firestorm replied. "Wanna play again?" he asked.

"Not now, little bro." Blue replied. "It's getting a little bit too hot outside..." he said, and turned to face a thermometer hanging on the wall. It was still unbearably hot, so the best way to cool off was to go get a drink.

"Hey, Firestorm. Do you want to get something to drink and maybe go to the park later on?" Blue asked.

"Okay... but why later on?" Firestorm replied.

"Because I said so, alright? It's too hot outside, plus there'll be less ponies there later on." Blue said, with a firm voice.

"But, big bro... I want to go now..." Firestorm pleaded.

"No..." Blue replied, glaring at Firestorm.

"Come on! Let's get something to drink and go to the park. I wanna learn how to fly." Firestorm said.

"Dude! We can't go to the park until it cools down a bit, okay?!" Blue replied, now agitated. Firestorm sighed in defeat.

"Alright then, let's go home." he said and followed Blue into the house. After both of them took a glass of lemonade from the kitchen, they sat down in the living room and drank it.

"So... Firestorm. Maybe I should ask dad if he should sign you up for Wonderbolts' Academy..." Blue said.

"Nah... I don't want to be a famous Wonderbolt." Firestorm replied.

"Well then, who do you want to be?" Blue asked.

"Hm... I want to be a Royal Guard when I grow up..." Firestorm said.

"Seriously?" Blue asked. "Don't you want to have a more... athletic job, like being a weather pony, instead of standing in one place all day like a statue, doing nothing?"

"Blue... Royal guards do more than just stand around..." Firestorm lectured him. "Mom and dad say that they protect the princesses and Equestria in general. I want to do just that."

"Okay. I'm not the one to decide who you'll be when you're older." Blue said.

"What about you?" Firestorm asked. "Who do you want to be when you leave school?"

"Hm... I always wanted to be a weather pony... but I still don't know whether it's the best idea." Blue explained. "I mean, it's not the best job out there, but I always wanted to prove myself to mom and dad... I have no idea whether I'll amount to what they are."

"We'll see..." Firestorm said. "Can we go to the park now?" he asked. Blue facehoofed.

"Look... Fine." Blue groaned. "Let's go." he said. Firestorm trotted after Blue, who simply walked down the road to the park. Along the way, Blue bumped into Meadow.

"Oh, sorry... I didn't see you there, Meadow." Blue said and helped her up. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Blue. It's nothing, and thanks for helping me up." she explained and gave him a peck on the cheek. Firestorm giggled as he watched his older brother blush.

"So, how's your weekend so far, Meadow?" Blue asked.

"It's not really too bad. I'm going to leave for Baltimare soon as I'm visiting my grandma there. She's sick with the feather flu." Meadow explained.

"Oh, okay... Hope she gets well..." Blue said.

"Thanks... I better go now. See you later, Bluey..." Meadow said and trotted off towards her home. Blue smiled as he watched his marefriend trot away, but he was snapped out of it by a giggling Firestorm.

"What's so funny?" Blue asked.

"She...she kissed you!" Firestorm giggled. "That's so disgusting..."

"Yeah, you'll get a marefriend as well sometime in the future and then you'll know how it feels to be kissed." Blue explained, with a smile on his face. Firestorm cringed.

"Eww! That's disgusting. I'm not kissing anypony, nor am I ever getting a marefriend." Firestorm explained. Blue grinned.

"Only time will tell, little bro." he said.

"I said---" Firestorm tried to prove his point, but was stopped by Blue.

"Let's just go to the park. If we continue talking like this, we'll never get there." Blue said. Firestorm sighed.

"I agree... How warm is it right now?" Firestorm asked, wiping some sweat off his face with his hoof.

"102 degrees." Blue said. "I'll buy you some ice cream if you want."

"Alright! Ice cream." Firestorm said. Blue walked up to the ice cram stall and pulled out two bits.

"What ice cream do you want, Firestorm?" Blue asked his little brother, who was standing beside him, looking at the different flavors of it.

"I want a vanilla ice cream for now..." Firestorm said.

"For now?" Blue replied, bewildered.

"Yep. We might come back here again..." Firestorm said with a smirk. Blue facehoofed.

"Who says we'll come back here again, Firestorm?" Blue countered.

"Uh... are you taking the vanilla ice cream?" the mare running the stall asked.

"Uh, yes, sorry..." Blue replied. "How much?"

"1 bit, please." the mare said and passed Blue the ice cream. Blue then gave her the money and motioned for Firestorm to follow him.

"Wait!" shouted Firestorm. "I also want a waffle!" Blue facehoofed and went back to the ice cream stall.

"1 waffle please." Blue said, now irritated.

"Here you go. That'll be one bit." the mare running the stall said. Blue handed her over the bit and she gave him the waffle. Blue passed it to Firestorm.

"Here you go... Thanks for wasting the spending money I bought with me..." Blue said with a sigh.

"You're welcome." Firestorm replied.

"Uh... You're so rude." Blue complained.

"Blue, you can't tell me what to do. Only mom or dad can." Firestorm said, grinning.

"But still, I'm older than you... so, you have to listen to me as well." Blue replied with a grin of his own.

"Yeah, sure..." Firestorm said. "So... are we just going to stand here or are we going to the park?" Firestorm asked.

"Let's go to the park then..." Blue replied, with a hint of anger in his voice.

"Good idea. I'll race you there!" Firestorm said. Blue sighed. Firestorm trotted away towards the park entrance and Blue trotted after him. After racing to the park (with Blue narrowly winning, much to Firestorm's dismay) the two siblings went to an open cloud field at the far end of the park, where Blue was going to teach Firestorm how to fly.

"Okay, Firestorm... I want you to stand here..." Blue said and motioned for Firestorm to stand before a wall.

"Why here?" he asked.

"You'll have more space to take off..." Blue explained. "Now, I want you to trot down this field, and when you pick up enough speed, begin to flutter your wings. Alright?" Blue asked.

"When do I pick up enough speed?" Firestorm asked.

"When I say so, alright?" Blue said. "Alright then. Are you ready?"

"I think so..." Firestorm said and stood in position and prepared himself for taking off.

"Alright. Go!" Blue yelled. With some reluctance, Firestorm managed to trot down the cloud field and slowly begun to increase speed. After a few moments, he reached his maximum speed.

"Flutter your wings!" Blue yelled from a distance. Firestorm did as he was asked, but dropped down onto the cloud layer shortly after.

"Ugh... that was horrible." Firestorm complained.

"No it wasn't. You just need to learn to balance yourself during flight and concentrate. Why don't you try again?" Blue suggested.

"Sure thing..." Firestorm said and slowly got up. He then prepared himself for takeoff again.

"Go!" Blue shouted. Firestorm trotted down the field and fluttered his wings after reaching a high enough speed. This time, he managed to pull up several feet off the ground and remained airborne for a few seconds before dropping back down onto the cloud layer.

"That was better..." Blue said. "Much better. Do you want to go again?" he asked.

"Sure thing!" Firestorm replied and prepared himself to fly again. Again, he flew a few feet off the cloud layer, before dropping back down.

"That was pretty good so far... Now let's see if you can change direction." Blue said.

"Change direction? But how?" Firestorm asked.

"When you're flying, you turn your body in a different direction. It's as simple as that." Blue explained.

"Oh..." Firestorm said.

"Ready?" Blue asked.

"Yep. I am." Firestorm said and prepared himself to fly.

"Go!" Blue shouted. Immediately, Firestorm trotted down the cloud field and flew upwards. He then flapped his wings repeatedly and hovered several feet above the ground. As he looked around, he saw clouds developing over Cloudsdale. These clouds were dark and stormy-looking, which meant Firestorm had to land safely and go back home with Blue.

"Turn!" Blue shouted from the ground. Firestorm did as he was asked and made a 90-degree turn, before landing. Firestorm then trotted back to Blue, who was looking at the clouds.

"Woah there... Slow down." Blue said, stopping Firestorm with his wings. "We better get home soon."

"What's happening to the weather, Blue?" Firestorm asked.

"It usually happens when it gets too warm. The weather ponies have to create some form of rain or we'll have a drought on our hooves." Blue explained. "And right now... it looks as though it's going to storm." Soon, a rumble of thunder echoed through the park. Firestorm jumped in fear and hid beneath Blue's wing.

"There there now... it's just thunder. There's nothing to be afraid of." Blue explained. "I'm here, little bro. It's gonna be fine."

"Why did--why did it have to storm, Blue?" Firestorm asked, still shivering in fear.

"Well, uh, a storm is the quickest way of getting water to dry areas of Equestria, Firestorm. I mean, rain is pretty persistent, and since storms can last quite a short amount of time, it's better to have it storm." Blue explained.

"So, why doesn't it storm all the time?" Firestorm asked.

"Well, because... see, a storm requires lots of heat to form, and since it's quite warm here in the summer, it's the best time for storms to form, but that doesn't mean thunderstorms can form during any other time of year." Blue explained. "Come on, we better get home." Suddenly, it begun to rain and another crack of thunder rumbled through the park. Firestorm still wrapped himself in Blue's wing.

"Are we going to be flying?" Firestorm asked.

"No, Firestorm. It's too dangerous to fly right now. Only weather ponies fly around right now." Blue said. As the two siblings walked out of the park through the heavy rain, Firestorm stopped suddenly.

"What's going on, Firestorm?" Blue asked. Firestorm pointed towards a colt, who looked at least two or three years older than Firestorm is. This colt had a hoofball in between his hooves and eyed Blue and Firestorm closely.

"Who's he?" Blue asked.

"He's Warmwind, and he's a... a bully... who frequently bullies the younger kids, including me." Firestorm explained.

"He bullies you?" Blue asked.

"Yep." Firestorm replied.

"Have you told mom or dad?" Blue asked.

"No, not yet... it only begun a few days back." Firestorm said.

"Oh, you better tell them then." Blue replied.

"Hey, Firestorm!" Warmwind said. "Why are you here?"

"I'm here to... uh... I was learning how to fly." Firestorm explained. The bully started to chuckle.

"You still don't know how to fly?" he asked, laughing. "You sure you're not an Earth pony or an unicorn?" Embarrassed, Firestorm hid behind Blue.

"Hey kid, leave him alone!" Blue shouted to Warmwind. "What did Firestorm ever do to you?"

"Uh, who are you supposed to be?" Warmwind shouted through the pouring rain.

"I'm his brother, Warmwind. Now, I'd suggest you leave him alone before I explain everything to your mommy and daddy." Blue said, with a firm voice. Warmwind noticeably calmed down and begun to back away.

"But... he can't fly... and plus, he's a nerd!" Warmwind yelled.

"That's exactly what I was trying to help him with. Learning to fly. And so what if he's a nerd? That makes him far more intelligent than you on a lot of levels... So, I'd suggest you leave us alone and go back home. Alright?" Blue said.

"But--but--" Warmwind tried to prove his point, but was stopped by Blue.

"Go home or I'm telling your mother. Alright?" Blue asked.

"It's a deal." Warmwind said and trotted back towards his home, leaving only Blue and Firestorm.

"Is he gone now?" Firestorm said, coming out of his hiding place.

"He sure is." Blue replied. "That knocked some sense into him."

"Will he bother me again?" Firestorm asked.

"We'll see about that... for now, he's worried about his parents finding out." Blue replied.

"Thanks for sticking up for me like that... and sorry for being so rude to you and forcing you to teach me how to fly..." Firestorm replied. "I was just afraid of him..."

"You're welcome, little bro. And it's alright. I was going to teach you how to fly anyways, remember? It was just way too hot to fly back then." Blue said. "And don't be afraid of bullies like him. The best way to get rid of his type is to tell a trusted adult."

"Thanks, big bro." Firestorm said and hugged him.

"You're welcome... and come on, we better go home." Blue said.

"I agree..." Firestorm said. "Are you up for a race?"

"Oh, you're asking for it." Blue replied, with a sly grin forming on his face.

"Three, two, one, go!" Firestorm said and both siblings trotted off towards home. As they trotted through the rain, Blue flew up and wrapped his wing around Firestorm.

"Woah!" Firestorm shouted with glee as Blue flew him to the house. About a few minutes later, the two pegasi landed in front of the house and walked into it.

"So, what did you think of my flying, Blue?" Firestorm asked Blue, who was busy pouring in some water for both of them in the kitchen.

"I think you did quite good. I was impressed by your skills, little bro." Blue replied. "So, do you want dad to sign you up for Wonderbolts' Academy?"

"No, big bro. I still think being a royal guard sounds great." Firestorm replied.

"Alright..." Blue said. "Water?"

"Sure." Firestorm replied and took the glass off him. After playing a few more games, the siblings were eventually tired out and lay on each of the two sofas in the living room. At about 7PM, the sky over Cloudsdale cleared up and about two hours later, Summer and Lightning arrived back home.

"Hey guys!" Summer said. Blue shot up and went into the hallway to greet them.

"Hey mom, dad. How was your trip in Canterlot?" Blue asked.

"It was great..." Summer replied. "Canterlot is amazing..."

"I agree." Lightning said. "Oh, and we also decided on where we should go for summer this year."

"Where?" Blue asked.

"Los Pegasus... You and Firestorm always wanted to go there, son." Summer said. "So, why not?"

"Thanks mom, dad!" Blue said and hugged them both.

"You're welcome son. And how was your day with Firestorm?" Summer asked.

"It was better than I thought it'd be." Blue said.

"Really?" Lightning asked. "So, he wasn't causing you any trouble?"

"Not necessarily. In fact, it was actually quite fun." Blue explained.

"Where is he anyways?" Summer asked.

"He's in the living room, taking a nap." Blue replied.

"Sounds like you guys were having quite a fun day." Lightning said.

"Yep. I tried to teach Firestorm how to fly, and so far... he's doing good." Blue explained.

"Really? That's great, son!" Summer said.

"Yep... After that little injury I had, I never expected Firestorm to learn how to fly... but he's learning now, all thanks to you son." Lightning explained.

"Aww... Dad. It's nothing." Blue said.

"We're proud of you son... You've turned out to be quite a good big brother from what I can tell." Summer said, giving him a hug. Blue turned to face Firestorm, who was fast asleep on the sofa and smiled at him. After eating his supper and saying goodnight to Firestorm, Summer and Lightning, Blue went to his room and opened up his diary.

"Dear diary,
Today, while my mom and dad were away in Canterlot for their twentieth wedding anniversary, I stayed at home to look after my little brother, Firestorm. Since me and Firestorm don't usually get along too good, I expected that foalsitting him would be quite hard, but it was actually more fun than I thought it'd be. Also, I found out what it truly means to be a big brother, and it's not just about having fun with a younger sibling, it's about being there for him or her. I hope I can be a good big brother for Firestorm, whenever he needs me.
~ Blue Skye."

Author's Note:

Alright folks, Chapter 8 Is done with. If you're wondering if and when Firestorm will be featured again in this story, I have good news. I'm planning to have him appear in the upcoming chapters as a recurring character.

Chapter 9 will be done sometime next week at the latest.

Stay tuned everypony! ~ ST