• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 718 Views, 16 Comments

Twilight the Vagrant - aeppel



What if, in an alternate, magicless world, Twilight was a delusional hobo, imagining her magical adventures? That burning question is answered.

  • ...
1
 16
 718

The Bridge

A brackish rain fell over a dreary city. Water rushed down a concrete-lined canal swirling with debris and branches, and near the edge of the murky water, a police pony plodded along his patrol route. Rivulets of water streamed down his standard issue black raincoat, and he shifted uncomfortably as he felt the rain slowly soaking through the worn material. Of all days for a routine patrol, and of all routes to take, this was far from his favorite. His “buddies” down at the station had gotten everypony to draw straws for this route, and he was the unlucky winner.

In the distance, the flickering of firelight under a bridge reminded him why he hated to patrol this area. Street ponies of all sorts liked to hang under the many bridges criss-crossing the channel. Not that he disliked them—though he certainly did not relish his time with them either—but he was there to enforce the rules, and having to repeatedly enforce city ordinances and force the homeless to move along tended to wear on him. They didn't do near enough harm for the amount of trouble it took to repeatedly clear them out, especially since it was ultimately pointless. Nopony except the homeless and small-time gangs spent much time down in the canals, what with the complete lack of vegetation and the sludge-filled water, so they could have had the run of them for all he cared. Alas, he was not a lawmaker.

As he neared the bridge and braced himself for what was to come, the police pony heard the barking of a small dog. He saw it scampering around a pony wrapped in various rags, focused on something lying on the ground. Several unidentifiable piles surrounded the unknown pony. The police pony could hear a voice faintly, seemingly addressed towards the dog. As he got closer, he managed to catch some of the words.

“Oh, Spike, you know we don't have time for that sort of thing!” Well, at the very least, the police pony was able to confirm that the unidentified pony was female.

“Urf!” the dog replied, sounding a bit hurt. The officer got near enough to tell that the dog was grasping a torn teddy bear in its teeth and prancing back and forth as if it wanted to play.

The mysterious pony seemed to not catch the hint, digging through her piles. The police pony was finally close enough to be able to tell that they were stacks and stacks of books, piled in various dry places on the concrete under the bridge. The area was lit by a single burning barrel. Several other ponies clad in rags had been sitting near the barrel, but they clearly had been staying some distance away from the pony with the dog. However, upon spying a constable approaching, they had already begun to collect their belongings and creep out the opposite side of the bridge. They evidently did not feel like a conflict today. The police pony sighed with some relief. He would only have to convince the pony with the dog to leave, though she still hadn't noticed him approaching.

“No, no, no, no no no!” she muttered to herself. Suddenly, she raised her head and yelled in exasperation, “Spiiiike!” The last of the startled vagrants quickly scampered out from under the bridge and vanished into the rain.

“Arf!” The dog, apparently named Spike, had abandoned his efforts with the bear and stood happily panting with his front paws upon a hefty volume behind the pony. She turned around to face her pet, giving the officer his first glimpse at her face.

The police pony was startled by a particularly pointy feature on the mare's face. She seemed to have a paper cone attached to the front of her head, like a horn—like the horn of a mythical unicorn, in fact. Funny, he thought, that his daughter had just recently been asking for unicorn dolls. It seemed like a whimsical thing that a child might wish for, similar to imagining being a princess. How odd that this adult pony would be wearing something like that.

She quickly whipped the book out from under the dog with an “ah!” She seemed pleased with the find. She flipped through the pages as Spike shook his head and hopped back to his paws. “Elements, elements, e, e, e...aha! Elements of Harmony...see Mare in the Moon?”

The officer was quite close now, having made it under the protective shelter of the bridge. He quickly shook the majority of the water off before approaching one of the stacks of books and curiously reading some of the bindings. It looked like they were mostly moldy, discarded books that ponies had abandoned, ranging from thrillers to almanacs. Many were water damaged or torn, which was likely an occupational hazard for a book living on the streets. This pony must have been amassing them for some time to obtain such a collection.

The police pony stopped perusing the stacks to find that the mare had still not noticed his presence and was still reading from her book. “Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about nighttime eternal!” She gasped and whirled around, looking at the dog, which had curled up comfortably on a rather large atlas. “Spike, do you know what this means?” Spike merely yawned widely as she trotted over to him.

While he edged even closer, the police pony took a look at the book the unknown pony had been reading. It appeared to be a book of pony tales, like those he would read to his daughter. He sighed. He might be dealing with an unusual case, to put it lightly.

Her next action certainly did nothing to reassure the beleaguered officer. “Take a note, please! To the princess,” she announced to the dog while hoofing over a blank sheet of paper. Spike promptly began gnawing on the sheet, but she seemed not to notice. She stepped a few paces away and proudly began dictating...to a dog gnawing on an old scrap of paper under a bridge.

“My dearest teacher, my continuing studies of pony magic have lead me to discover that we are on the precipice of disaster!”

The police pony had been preparing to interrupt, but he paused a moment at that. Magic, eh? He definitely was dealing with a basket-case.

“Urf. Arf!” The dog had temporarily relinquished his hold on the sheet. The mare seemed to take note of it this time, at least until she spoke again.

“Threshold.” There was a beat in which the dog looked up at her curiously, tilting his head. “Uh, Brink?” A blank stare from the dog. “Ugh! That something really bad is about to happen!” Spike chewed with renewed vigor at the poor, tattered paper, as the mare rambled about nightmares and prophesies. The police pony tuned most of it out until the end. “I await your quick response. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.”

The officer almost sprained something muffling the laugh that threatened to spew forth at the mention of the mare's name. What kind of name was that? Twilight Sparkle? Did she think she was some sort of “fairy princess” or something, holding conference with her fellow princesses?

“Bark!”

“Great! Send it.” Spike seemed not to get the message.

“Urf?”

“Of course!”

“Wuff?”

“That's just it, Spike! The day after tomorrow is the thousandth year of the Summer Sun Celebration! It's imperative that the princess is told right away!”

“Bark? Yip?”

“IMPORTANT!”

“Rrrrf.” Spike promptly gobbled up the remnants of the sheet.

How that was supposed to send the paper in a form anypony would ever be willing to read was beyond the baffled officer. This whole scenario was beyond his pay grade for sure. Ok, he thought. All I need to do is gently tell her that she can't stay here and I'll just finish up my beat and go home. He braced himself for the bizarre conversation that he was afraid would follow, but Twilight was continuing her “conversation” with Spike.

“Oh, I'm not worried, Spike. The princess trusts me completely. In all the years she's been my mentor, she's never once doubted me.”

Spike then regurgitated the remains of the paper on the ground in front of Twilight, along with what looked like pieces of squirrel, apparently to her satisfaction. “See? I knew she would want to take immediate action!”

That was just about the last straw for the poor officer. He decided to get things over with and to get out of there as soon as possible. He was already pining for a sane, quiet meal with his family. He cleared his throat.

“Excuse me, ma'am, metro police. I'm sorry to, um, interrupt you...” She looked off proudly into the distance, and he wasn't sure if she was listening or not.

“But you simply cannot stay here. No loitering along the riverwalk. City ordinance, you know. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I can give you the time to pack your books.” She gave a large gasp, so he assumed he might be getting through. “I might recommend a homeless shelter or maybe a nearby park. I'm sure you can meet up with some of your, uh, friends, there.” Of course, the police didn't really like all of the homeless sleeping on park benches, either, but it transferred his problem onto another cop's turf, so it was a solution for him.

To his surprise, while Twilight seemed to continue to ignore his presence, she sighed and began stacking the books together and putting them into bags. He sighed with relief and moved on as soon as she began to load the books into a ramshackle cart, chatting to Spike about seemingly random things the entire time. Maybe he should have stayed longer, but he was done for the day. It was time for a warm meal out of the rain and the crazy. At least I have an interesting story to tell the fellas back at the station, he thought as the mysterious mare faded into the curtains of rain behind him.

Author's Note:

This idea's been in my head for over half a year, if not an entire year, but it took me forever to actually begin writing it. Please let me know if you think it's a good idea or not. I'm planning to cover no more than the content of the first two episodes, since that arc is pretty common in "what if" alternate universe scenarios.

The second chapter is currently in progress, in which Twilight meets with the rest of the mane 6 in a city park.