• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 6,214 Views, 74 Comments

Creature of the Night - Cosmonaut



Bitten by a creature of the night, Rarity slowly succumbs to the effects of Vampirism.

  • ...
9
 74
 6,214

Creature of the Night

The hinges on the door creaked as it swung open. A stark white unicorn exited the building, dabbing a rag at her eyes as she walked into the night. Dark red blood stained the corners of her mouth, and despite the attention she was giving to her face, she left her lips alone. The tears at her eyes were brought upon the horrible deed she had done to the pony inside the house. For an action like that, there would never be any redemption. She needed to exile herself. For everyponys’ sake. Rarity walked past a store, averting her gaze away from the window. Her reflection wouldn’t have appeared regardless, but she didn’t look. She didn’t want to see the monster she had become.

***

“WAKE UP WAKE UP!” cried out a shrill voice. Rarity cracked one azure eye open to see her little sister bouncing up and down on her once-tidily made bed. “Come on, Rarity, you need to get up now! You slept in late and you’re always telling me how unbecoming that is for a young unicorn.”

Rarity rolled out of the bed, careful not to completely mess up the sheets any more than they’d already been. “Yes, I suppose I did sleep in far past the appropriate hour.” She glanced at her fancy grandfather clock. “One o’clock already? Why didn’t you wake me sooner, Sweetie?”

“You looked kinda tired, sis, weren’t you going on adventures with your friends yesterday?” she asked, hopping off the bed.

“Now that you mention it, Sweetie, I am feeling a tad lightheaded,” replied Rarity, putting a hoof to her brow. Yesterday had been rather trying for her.

“Do you want me to run your errands for you today? I can help you!” Sweetie Belle looked up at her sister hopefully with her light bottle-green eyes. While Rarity wanted to say yes and lie back down for just a little, she couldn’t do it. Not for these errands.

“Sorry, Sweetie Belle, I simply cannot allow you to do this for me today. Keep in mind I appreciate your thoughtful offer.”

Her sister sighed, slowly trotting away in disappointment. Rarity winced. She didn’t want to make her sister feel too bad.

“You know what you could do for me though? Go to the spa and tell the ponies at the front desk I won’t be attending for…health reasons,” She paused thoughtfully for a moment, “and if they inquire further, make something up.”

“Will do!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle as she disappeared downstairs. Rarity leaned over to the window, shutting her blinds. The harsh sunlight was stinging her eyes. She had gone to bed with a splitting headache, spending the night in fitful bouts of sleeping, waking, tossing, and turning. That little excursion of Twilight’s was not something she planned on repeating.

Rarity magically floated her red-trim sunhat (with matching glasses, of course) onto her head. She turned to look at her reflection in her stately bedroom mirror. Something had caught her eye, something on her coat. Carefully, she moved one of her purple curls aside and….

“RARITY!”

The hat flew off her head as she turned around in alarm. “Why would you sneak up on me like that? You gave me quite a shock just now!”

Sweetie Belle shuffled on her hooves. “I’m sorry, I just came back because I don’t know where the spa is in town. I didn’t mean to get you mad…”

“Mad? I’m just startled is all,” she said, a little more harshly than she’d liked. Rarity cleared her throat. “Anyhow, you do know where Fluttershy’s cottage is, so head there instead. She should be home making lunch for her animal friends.”

“OK! Will do!” Sweetie Belle bounced downstairs and Rarity sighed in relief. Her stomach gave a low rumble, causing Rarity to think for a bit on her plans for the day. She shoved open the window.

“Sweetie Beeellllle!” called out Rarity. Her sister stopped short, turning around to look up. “Tell Fluttershy that I’ll meet her for dinner at Seasonal Delights later!” The midday sunlight stung through her sunglasses, watering her eyes. “Around sundown, okay?”

Her little sister nodded fiercely in response, galloping away with newfound energy in her mission. Rarity shut the blinds quickly retreating back into her room. She still felt incredibly drowsy. Right now, lying down for a spell would do wonders for her. Duty called, however, and Sugarcube Corner was first on her list of things to do for today.

She put her hat back on with care to avoid messing up her hair and trotted outside.

***

Rarity shoved the door to the bakery open with enormous effort. It was not even a ten-minute walk to Sugarcube Corner but the sweat pouring from her face and coat gave her the appearance that she ran ten miles. She was completely exhausted.

“Hiya Rarity!” bubbled Pinkie Pie bouncing into view, fluffy pink pompadour a sticky mess of sprinkles and sugar. “I bet I know what you’re here for! Oh, silly me! Of course you’re here for Sweetie Belle’s Super Secret Scrumptious BIRTHDAY CAKE!”

Rarity’s ears flattened against her head. Pinkie meant well but her voice was really grating on her nerves right now. She already wasn’t feeling quite right. “Yes, yes, yes. Hope you don’t mind me picking it up two days in advance but I don’t want to risk her stopping by with her friends and spoiling the surprise. You understand don’t you?”

“Oh, you bet Rarity. I can totally relate,” nodded Pinkie Pie with a sheepish smile on her face “Surprise parties are the absolute super-duper best parties to throw so I don’t wanna risk any sort of mishaps or crazy mistakes for sweet little Sweetie Belle!”

Rarity smiled warmly, placing some gold on the counter. “Here are the bits for your trou-”

“’Course if you want I could help you with party planning you know I’m all about throwing the PERFECT parties for ponies, or not even ponies in particular! I’ve thrown parties for all sorts of partygoers!” continued Pinkie Pie, sitting herself down in front of Rarity.

“That’s all well and good, Pinkie, but it’s more of a family affair with our parents coming into town. Mother and Father would be more keen-”

“Which would make it all the more A-MAZING if I helped you set up if you haven’t seen them for a while. Plus, if you totally want to make a good impression, then a little extra party pizzazz would be all the more stupendous, don’t’cha think?”

Rarity glared at the pink pony, staring right into her bright blue eyes. “While I appreciate the offer, and I do, my parents enjoy the more subdued celebrations over your more rambunctious-”

“BUT!” interrupted Pinkie staring vacantly back at her, “If a party isn’t rambunctious then it’s not really much of a party, is it? You need a whole grab-bag of stuff, like balloons, streamers, music (but fun party music), sweets--”

“Pinkie Pie,” seethed Rarity, her eyelid twitching a little. Pinkie continued to ramble on still looking straight at her.

“--noisemakers, popcorn, clowns, lights, disco balls, silly string, punch bowls--”

“Pinkie. STOP!”

Halfway through ‘birthday candles’ Pinkie shut her mouth. Rarity breathed a sigh of relief.

“THANK YOU! I apologize for being so blunt with you, but I’m feeling under-the-weather today and I’d like to return home for a bit and lie down”.

Pinkie said nothing. This irked Rarity. Her friend didn’t just stop talking.

“So I’m going to pay you now…” she continued putting some more bits on the counter in front of her. No response.

Rarity leaned over the counter. “Darling, you’re starting to worry me, say something!”

“Something,” parroted Pinkie Pie absently gazing ahead. She hadn’t blinked. Rarity glanced back to see if there was anything interesting happening to the light beige bakery wall. With nothing new to note, she turned to back to Pinkie who was still wearing her frozen mask of happiness.

"This is a game you’re playing isn’t?” quizzed Rarity, waving a hoof in front of her friends unblinking eyes. Still nothing.

There was a slight rustling of paper from somewhere in the room. Over on the counter behind Pinkie was a white square box wrapped in blue string. A small leaflet of paper emblazoned with Rarity’s cutie mark was flapping against it from the steady flow of the bakery’s ceiling fan.

“So this is the cake, dear?” she said aloud when she walked over and opened it. Round white cake, pink purple frosting with ‘Happy Birthday Sweetie Belle’ written in chocolate icing along the top. Rarity made sure to count that all nine candles were there too. It looked marvelous. She was certain her sister would love it. Rarity gingerly folded it back up and turned around.

“WHAH!!!!”

Pinkie Pie was right in her face, barely an inch away. “WOWEE that was a SUPER neat trick Rarity how’d you do that?”

“Trick?” Rarity clutched at her chest. The confusion was diffusing her shock “What…trick, Pinkie… what are you talking about?”

Pinkie giggled. “Your disappearing trick, silly. You just did it! One minute I was talking to you then my eyes got all silly and my head started feeling like a muffin too long in the oven and then you were gone.”

“You…don’t remember?”

“Nopey-dopey! I don’t even remember seeing your horn glowing either which is what really got me going. Does that mean anypony could learn that trick? OH! OH! Could you teach me how to do that?” asked Pinkie Pie eagerly. She leaned forward propping her head up with her elbows.

“Err, oh, I uhm…” Rarity picked through her head for some sort of explanation. She couldn’t find one but she did know somepony else’s. “It’s just a thing that happens from time to time. I’m afraid I have no real control over it,” Rarity forced a grin hoping that Pinkie would buy her excuse.

“Shoot! That would’ve been a super neat trick to learn too,” Pinkie dropped her head in disappointment. She brought it back up quick as a flash. “OKAY! How about an after-birthday party? Does that sound good to you?”

Rarity dexterously slid the cake between the coils of her purple tail. “Yes definitely, Pinkie Pie, I’ll give you full creative reign over Sweetie’s after-party to boot. Sound fair to you?”

The pink pony squealed in joy while zooming around the room before diving into her party box, pulling out multicolored strings and brightly packaged plastic balloons. Rarity exited the shop wearing a rather silly grin on her face.

***

“Are you certain that there’s absolutely no seating available inside your restaurant? I cannot fathom eating outside in this uncomfortable weather!”

Rarity had been pleading with this stubborn waiter for nearly six agonizing minutes about the lack of seating inside her favorite restaurant. The maître’d’ had been offering his sincerest apologies but there was no budging from this unicorn.

“Madame, please, we have been booked solid since seven PM. Seasonal Delights is currently accommodating a vacationing family of rams that quite honestly take up all of our indoor seating,” he said with all the sincerity he could muster. “Outdoor seating is apparently not your preference but I am afraid it is the only arrangements we can offer you.”

Rarity stamped her hooves for a bit to accentuate her displeasure before settling herself down at one of the outdoor tables. Had she not been feeling so sickly she would have raised a much bigger stink about this situation, especially since she was a regular customer. A waiter quickly poured a cup of ice water while depositing a basket filled with warm fluffy bread on the table before darting away.

“Ooh, perhaps I should have visited the spa today…” Rarity moaned as she inspected a length of her dark violet curls. Her hair, coat, and mane had lost its lustrous sheen over the past few hours and she could just feel the bags drooping under her eyes. “I’m going to need emergency beauty treatment after tonight...”

Rarity stared disapprovingly at the bread. She was so hungry that if not for her good manners she would have gobbled up the whole lot of bread right there. Tonight she had no appetite for it. Even though she was hungry. Starving. Her stomach rumbled in irritation.

“Um…I’m not late am I?” peeped a soft voice.

Rarity swiveled her head to see Fluttershy standing behind her, light pink mane silhouetted against the setting sun. “If I’m late then I apologize. I ran out of carrots for Angel so I went to pick some and lost track of time…”

“Oh darling, don’t worry your cute little head about it! I wasn’t going to order without you. This is something I’ve been waiting to do all day,” smiled Rarity as Fluttershy took a seat across the small table. “Actually, I should be the pony apologizing here for canceling our spa day get-together on such short notice.”

“I forgive you then,” chuckled Fluttershy, Rarity laughing alongside her. The waiter promptly arrived, asking for their meal choices for the evening.

“I would like a buttercup sunflower wrap, please, with a glass of strawberry juice,” requested Fluttershy meekly. The waiter took her menu. Rarity returned her menu as well.

“One double-steamed French onion salad platter with diced celery and carrots, lightly tossed with chopped cauliflower, extra croutons if you have them, if not sprinkled with swiss cheese, and drown it in your house dressing.” Rarity snorted as the waiter flipped over the menu to the drinks side. “Surprise me,” she said flatly.

He took the menus and gingerly retreated into the restaurant. Fluttershy began buttering a slice of bread. “So, uhm, how was your day?”

“It’s been absolutely dreadful, the worst day I’ve had in months. Absolutely everything has been horrid. I woke up late for breakfast, missed lunch, canceled my spa appointment with you, got trapped with Pinkie Pie for what felt like hours, and to top it all off I’ve been feeling sick and achy all day long,” belted Rarity dramatically putting a hoof to her face, she opened one eye. “I’m sorry for venting on you like this, Fluttershy.”

Her yellow friend was slowly chewing her slice of bread. The thought of food sent her stomach back into pangs of hunger again. Fluttershy swallowed. “It’s okay. Sweetie Belle dropped by my cottage earlier, she told me you looked ill.”

“Looked? I know I look absolutely appalling DON’T SHAKE YOUR HEAD!” shrieked Rarity a little too loudly. Some other ponies were looking over in concern. “Sorry, I’m just frazzled today…”

Fluttershy put a hoof over her friend’s foreleg. Rarity shivered at her touch. “I’m really worried about you now. I mean, we all got into trouble yesterday with that trip to the Ursa’s cave Twilight took us on. I thought you were the only one that got away unscathed. Applejack got released this morning, by the way.”

“That’s good news. When I heard she got a concussion I was so upset,” she replied softly. “I wish I was there to help you girls. When the floor gave way I got lost in the tunnels and couldn’t find my way out. Something leapt at me in the darkness but I kicked it off. Don’t fuss, it was barely a scrape. I heard the mess upstairs, though. How many goblins were there?”

“There were a lot, Rarity. Rainbow Dash said there were at least two-dozen. Whatever treasure the Ursa Major left behind must have been very valuable for all the goblins it attracted.”

The waiter returned with their orders ready. He placed Fluttershy’s humble order on the table after delivering Rarity’s extravagantly prepared salad. A bubbly liquid sloshed into her glass from a dark green bottle. Possibly champagne. It was clear that some strings were being pulled for her.

“Um…pardon me,” piped up Fluttershy to the retreating waiter. “It seems you poured me some sort of grape drink. Could I have my strawberry juice please?”
“Terribly sorry madame. A thousand apologies. The kitchen is quite a mess right now. Our esteemed guests from out of town are quite…rowdy. I shall return momentarily with your correct drink.” The waiter picked up her glass, trotting to the restaurant door.

“Looks delicious, doesn’t it Rarity?” offered Fluttershy, taking a bite of her toasted wrap.

“Yes. It’s my absolute favorite dish,” said Rarity brightly, using her horn to levitate her fork. She poked it through a particularly crisp piece of lettuce covered in dressing and taking a bite…

Rarity nearly spat it out her mouth. It tasted horrible. The expression on her face must have been very noticeable. Fluttershy looked up at her with worry in her big teal eyes.

“Um… how is your salad? Rarity?”

“It’s quite alright, dear, it’s…delectable,” lied Rarity through gritted teeth. It felt like she was chewing glass. Dirty glass. “Oh would you look at that sky? The sun’s finally setting.”

Fluttershy turned her head to glance at the horizon, giving Rarity the opportunity to turn and spit the slightly chewed leaf on to the floor. She looked up to see the waiter.

“If anything is not to your liking, please let us know so we can provide the best possible service,” said the waiter with obvious disgust in his voice. He turned to Fluttershy, placing the glass on the table. “Here is your drink, Madame.”

Rarity’s heart stopped. Her eyes longingly followed the ruby red glass of juice to the table. It looked delicious. The dying sun caught the glass in the light, illuminating it like a glittering jewel. Fluttershy gave it a sip, and nodded approvingly to the maître d'.

“Waiter! May I have a glass of that? Please?” begged Rarity with her eyes still fixated on Fluttershy’s cup.

The waiter said something like yes and poured her a fresh glass of juice from the beaker. He was a bit taken aback when she immediately guzzled it down.

“Another…if you would be so kind.”

The waiter poured her another glass, and when she drank that poured her one more. The sound of breaking dishes and a heated argument suddenly erupted from inside the restaurant.

“Those accursed rams,” he spat, setting the beaker down. “Pardon me, ladies.”

Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth as she watched the waiter step inside the restaurant. She turned back to Rarity, who was fervently pouring another drink.

“Wow…you really, um, like that a lot, don’t you?” Fluttershy said uneasily as Rarity downed that glass too. “What about your salad is it-?”

“It isn’t enough!” she fumed, smashing the glass into pieces onto the ground. Fluttershy gasped as Rarity threw her head in her hooves, screaming into them in frustration.

“You… you aren’t okay at all, are you, Rarity?” whispered Fluttershy, sliding her wrap to the side. She leaned forwards across the table. Rarity abruptly pulled her face up from her hooves.

“Fillies’ room!” she cried, bolting into the restaurant, past the small lobby, past the waiter, past the bar, past the bar-fight, though the bathroom door and into the stall where her insides painted the porcelain bowl crimson. She vomited, tapping the handle. She saw the several cups of strawberry juice swirl down that hole. There wasn’t much in her stomach to lose, so she exited the lavatory in a daze. She blinked and found herself seated in front of Fluttershy once more.

“You didn’t, um, I suppose you don’t feel any better from the bathroom?” asked Fluttershy. At this point Rarity didn’t even feel the energy to speak. She only lowered her head in a half-hearted attempt at a nod. The food she loved sat untouched in front of her, taunting her. She couldn’t bring herself to eat it.

“You should get bed rest immediately if you’re getting sick to your stomach!” exclaimed Fluttershy. “Or even a doctor, if it’s getting this bad.”

“Nononono! I couldn’t possibly bother a physician at this hour,” said Rarity, pulling a grin onto her face. Fluttershy gave her a look, prompting her to strain her face wider. She really didn’t want to go to the doctor’s.

Fluttershy peered at Rarity intensely, finally pulling her head back. “Your teeth seem messed up. Are you sure you didn’t get injured yesterday?”

“What’s the matter with my teeth?” asked Rarity fretfully, using her tongue to slide over each tooth one by one, feeling around for what her friend meant.

Fluttershy shifted in her seat “It looks to me like two of them are loose in your mouth. As if they’re just hanging there. I’m no dentist but you should, um, get that looked at immediately, I think.”

Her teeth weren’t broken. The canines had grown longer. As she slid her tongue back and forth she could feel the difference in length. It was startling.

“Take your meal to go, Madame?”

The two ponies turned to see their quite disheveled-looking) waiter standing next to them. His waistcoat was torn and he wore a black eye with his matching black tie. “Unfortunately I’m going to insist on that we’re closing early for the evening. I cannot apologize enough, so tonight’s meal is on us, as well as your next visit.” He deftly slid the salad into a styrofoam container and put it into a neat labeled baggie.

Fluttershy frowned. “Well…okay then. That’s nice of you.” She got to her hooves, turning to Rarity. “I still insist that you seek medical attention but I can’t make you go. Please get home immediately and get some bed-rest okay? Promise?”

“Yes,” Rarity took the doggie bag in her mouth. “I promise.”

***

The walk home wasn’t as bad as she anticipated. The cool night air actually made her feel better. Her stomach wasn’t doing flip-flops anymore, but that ravenous hunger still gnawed at her insides. Rarity still felt incredibly drained despite her short day of not really doing anything.

She pushed open the door to her shop, magically holding the copper bell still so as not to wake anyone inside. Rarity trotted over to Opalescence’s porcelain food dish, filling it to the brim.

“Opaaal, here kitty kitty. Time for din-din…” whispered Rarity, looking around for her cat. There she was on the windowsill, curled in a tight white little ball. Rarity trotted over to her sleeping cat.

“HSSSSSSSSSSSSS!”

Rarity took a step backwards. The very awake Opalescence hissed at her loudly, backing into the window a little.

“What has gotten into you tonight?” tittered Rarity. “I only go out and purchase the very best feline cuisine for you…”

Opal hissed again, darting from the windowsill, underneath a rack of clothing. Rarity shook her head as she set the cake and doggie bag on the counter before climbing upstairs. She looked around her bedroom, then the guest bedroom. Sweetie Belle was in neither. Rarity chewed her lip.

“I hope you’re not sleeping over somewhere,” she mumbled to herself. Rarity pushed open the door to her stitching room and smiled. Curled up near a patchwork quilt next to the window was her little sister. She walked over and inspected the blanket. It was a mish-mash of poorly-chosen colors with split seams cropping up in various spots on the quilt. There were three purple letters etched onto it, the first three of Rarity’s name. The ‘R’ was backwards, but that didn’t bother her that much. It was the thought that counts.

She pulled the warm blanket over Sweetie Belle before snuggling up next to her. Rarity had to admire her little sister. They shared the same snow-white coat, but Sweetie had her mother’s fluffy hair and green eyes. In the pale moonlight her coat was practically glowing. Rarity tousled the curly purple locks in her hair before dragging her hoof down past her ears and jaw. With her hoof resting on her sister’s creamy neck, she could feel the steady rhythm of her pulse beating beneath the skin. Her own was quickening, too. Rarity gave her a little goodnight kiss on the nape. Then another. Her heart thumped rapidly in her chest as her hoof massaged her sisters’ throat on its own accord. She carefully opened her mouth before setting it around the base of Sweetie Belle’s neck.

“What?” Rarity suddenly leapt back, tripping over the quilt onto the floor. She crawled to the far corner of the room, furthest away from her sister. “What was-? What am I-? Did I just?”

The words weren’t there. Rarity turned to the door, making a beeline for her bed. She dived under the covers shaking at what she almost did. Biting her sister’s throat? What was that going to accomplish? What twisted impulse drove her to attempt that? She shuddered violently burying her face in the pillowcase.

“Just go to sleep, Rarity, you’ll figure this out in the morning,” she said into her downy pillow. Short seconds ticked into long minutes. Her usual methods of inducing sleep weren’t working. After the four hundredth leaping sheep she gave up counting to continue staring into her pillowcase. Her mind kept on drifting to Sweetie Belle curled up in the other room. Uncomfortable thoughts clouded her head. Rarity squirmed.

“I need to get out of here!” she exclaimed, jumping to her bedroom door. She flew down the steps, not even bothering to check the door locks. “Doctor’s… probably closed… what am I going to do…?”

Rarity stopped short at her doorway. The solution came to her clearly. If there was one pony that could help her at this hour, it would be Twilight Sparkle. A gigantic library must have the solution to whatever was happening to her. She rubbed her forehead before stepping outside.

***

Her ivory hoof reached for the library door, then pulled away, before reaching for it again. This should have been an easy decision, but Rarity wasn’t sure whether to knock at this hour. She nervously pushed the door to discover that it was unlocked. With some trepidation, she entered the building. There was no breaking involved, so she didn’t feel too bad about entering.

“Okay, Rarity, just wake her up and explain the whole thing,” she spoke aloud to herself. She ascended the staircase to Twilight’s room. Being extra careful, she stepped around Spike sleeping inside his thatched basket. She walked up to the bed. For some reason, Twilight slept with her pillow over her face.

Rarity poked the sleeping unicorn in the side. “Pssst. Twilight. Wake up. I need your help.”

Twilight didn’t budge. Rarity frowned. “Twilight, get up,” she whispered poking her again. The purple unicorn murmured in her sleep, turning to her side. The pillow slid off her face. Rarity gasped.

There were a fair number of bandages on Twilights head. Those goblins really did a number on her while Rarity was separated. In her sleep one of them had scraped off, revealing a fresh wound on her neck with a scab missing. There was a small amount of blood oozing from it. Rarity’s eyes focused on that. It pooled a little before trailing down her light purple coat and dripping onto the bed. Her stomach roared as her eyes danced around that trail of blood. Rarity felt whistling in her ears as her whole body tensed up. Tears welled at the corners of her eyes as the last ounce of her willpower fizzed away. She was so hungry. Desperately hungry. Drips of saliva pattered on the bedsheets as she lowered her head, clamping her mouth around Twilights neck.

Fiery hot liquid poured into her mouth as her fangs broke the skin around Twilight’s throat. Rarity closed her eyes beginning to drink the blood seeping into her mouth. Her mind went blank as the thick, pleasurable liquid began flowing down her throat. It tasted so good. So unbelievably good. Much better than the thin watery strawberry juice from before.

She began taking in greedier gulps, massaging Twilights neck with a hoof to encourage a stronger flow. Blood dribbled from the corners of her mouth as she swallowed more of her friend’s crimson juice. Her vigor was returning as bouts of fresh energy quivered through her entire body. Rarity moaned in delight, breathing through her nose in short pants. After long minutes, she released her neck from her mouth, throwing her head back in a satisfied sigh before slumping against the windowsill in hazy elation of finally fulfilling the relentless craving her body had been wracked with all day long.

Rarity sat there lost in that full feeling for a moment, rounded belly making quiet sloshing noises. She eventually cast her gaze back to the mattress. Twilight continued sleeping peacefully on the bed. She jumped up with a look of horror on her face.

“Oh no. No. No no no. What have I done?” exclaimed Rarity looking at her stained hooves in sudden panic. “This wasn’t supposed to happen. Why did I do that? I didn’t mean to! I didn’t want to!”

Her apologies meant nothing. Rarity knew what she’d done. She’d given in to the bloodlust, committing the deed that she’d nearly wrought upon her own kin not twenty minutes earlier. This was just as bad, if not worse. Drinking the blood from one of her best friends like some primordial beast. She rushed out of the library, her hooves noiselessly hitting the floor beneath her as more tears pooled at her eyes. She had no choice now but to run, she couldn’t put anypony else at risk. She couldn’t put her sister in jeopardy again.

Rarity exited the library. She made for the forest.


For the cave.