• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 6,120 Views, 282 Comments

The Blessing and the Curse - Equestria Buck Yeah



Sequel to Welcome the Unknown. It's been many months since Matt outsmarted Discord and life seems to have returned to normal, but peace never truly lasts. What does it mean when something he thought he'd never see again suddenly appears?

  • ...
23
 282
 6,120

Chapter 22

Over the last several months, long after he and the Elements seemingly defeated Discord once and for all, Matt had gradually mellowed out. Without having something thrown at him every so often simply to fuel his anger and chaos-feeding abilities, it wasn't terribly difficult to go with the flow and make the best of his out-of-the-ordinary situation.

All of that fell apart in a heartbeat.

Snarling like a crazed animal, Matt stomped his way forward, unloading slug after slug at the renewed monster that tore him away from his home. Each bullet hit its mark with Discord cringing and gripping at his strangely bloodless injuries in fake pain.

Matt pumped the shotgun, sending another cartridge flying past his face, and pulled the trigger once again. Unfortunately, the last bullet was spent and he was too furious to go digging through his pockets for more rounds, choosing to wildly throw the gun at the entity, who dodged it with little effort.

As Matt's rage continued further off the charts, Discord simply laughed at his frustration. The wounds sealed themselves shut, and the amused spirit forced the bullets up his throat, spitting them casually onto the rooftop.

"I must say, those things taste terrible," he quipped, only to find a sudden annoying pair of hands wrapped around his throat.

The enraged young man yanked his enemy down to scream at him face to face, squeezing as hard as his anger let him. "You son of a bitch, you fucking bastard! This just had to be you, didn't it?! How? How did you do it?! How are you here?! We beat you! I threw you into fucking space!"

An effortless magical flick sent Matt flying back into the group end over end. A fresh scrape burned his hand, but he was too incensed to care much.

Discord rose back into the air only to gasp at the group's newest member. "Oh. My. Stars! Rachel, is that you? It is!"

Her jaw nearly hit the floor. "Hon, how does that...thing know who Ah am?"

"That's the son of a bitch that brought me here in the first place and tried to kick me out of my own body."

"And I still know everything you knew up–" A series of irate shots rang out from Rachel's handgun. "Ugh, this again? Put that away. You're embarrassing yourself."

The Beretta left her grip and floated its way back into her pocket which was sealed with a zipper that wasn't there a second ago. The evil spirit leaned in and smiled smugly right in her face. For his trouble, she slugged him with everything she had square in the jaw, sending his head spinning around and around. Rachel jumped back at the bizarre anatomy lesson.

"Ooohoohoohoo! It really does make sense why you got together with her, Matt!" Discord chuckled as he grabbed his head and spat out Rachel's bullets. "She is feisty! Anyway, as I was saying – yes, I still know everything you did and were up until when you beat me, and vice versa, I'm willing to bet. Now, how long have I been gone?" he asked as a newspaper popped into being in front of him. "Oh my! It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Matt had told the girls of that very thing more than once up until that day. Twilight had offered to erase the experience from his mind, but Matt found the memories interesting in a strange way, plus it allowed him to see pieces of history before the original acquisition of the Elements of Harmony by Celestia and Luna, among other things. The nightmares were an unfortunate side effect but one he could deal with. Besides, he rather liked reminiscing over how he pummeled the entity into oblivion.

Still, he wasn't going to give Discord the satisfaction of being right.

"Answer my question: How did you do this?!" Matt snarled as the paper disappeared.

"You also asked how I'm here."

"Fuck you!"

Laughing and curling himself around the group, he explained, "Silly little man! I was born from chaos; I'm the physical manifestation of an intangible idea. You can't get rid of me any more than you can the air you breath. Though I will admit you came mighty close."

With a talon on his chin, the draconequus separated from the pack and skimmed over the massive buildings around them. "As for how I'm doing all this though?" Suddenly, a calender and quill appeared into view before his adversaries. "You may want to mark this one down, because for once, I'm being completely honest when I say I didn't have anything to do with it."

"Oh, cut the bullshit! You brought me here and now stuff from Earth's been popping up all over the place the same damn way! Who else could have done this?!"

"Don't be stupid! If I could've brought an entire city over here in the first place, why would I have wasted my time with only you?" Discord retaliated.

"Because this isn't exactly subtle!"

The chaos spirit paused. Maybe Matt knew him better than he gave him credit for, memories or not. Shrugging, he said, "Fair enough, but if I was going to throw subtlety out the window, I would've just put myself back together as soon as I was conscious again and stopped by Ponyville or Canterlot instead of waiting around here."

"What's your point?" Twilight growled.

"Once I was aware of where I was and what was going on and all that, I figured that Princess Celestia was sooner or later going to send her little goon squad to investigate, and no doubt she'd insist their prized pet go with them as a guide or something," Discord explained, poking his rival in the chest. "But you're missing something far bigger than me simply sightseeing."

Sans a snap of his fingers, the entire group vanished and reappeared in the middle of the street below, much to the dizzied annoyance of Matt and Rachel. The police patrolling the block and the clusters of reporters who camped out nearby jumped to their feet at the sudden sight of the monstrosity in front of them, murmuring in wonder and confusion. The cluster of cars they appeared in the middle of made Discord feel a bit crowded, so, with a thought, the demigod parted the rows of vehicles like the Red Sea, nonchalantly sending them crashing into their metal brethren.

A voice shouted 'Open fire!' and the mares and their human friends ducked for cover as a hail of gunfire flew at the freak of nature.

"Really? We're doing this again?"

As he rolled his eyes, the assault rifles and sidearms ceased their loud voices and instead shot out confetti, streams of water, 'Bang!' flags, fake flowers and an assortment of other random things. The cameras he allowed to keep filming. He did have an image to show off, after all. Cautiously, Matt and the others stood back up as the noise died down, still glaring at the villain.

"As you know, dear sir," Discord continued, "when I brought you here, I imprinted myself on you for three reasons. One, to feed off you from a city away. Two, to use you to call out for something to come get you after I figured I was finished with you, and three, to potentially use you against them if push came to shove."

"What did being a city away have to do with anything?" Rainbow Dash interrupted.

"Curious, are you even aware of how I managed to escape my stone prison before our first encounter?"

"Princess Celestia said she and Luna were no longer connected to the Elements of Harmony like they were when they first stopped you and you were able to break free," Twilight asserted.

"Correct, but it's more than that. Did you know your bratty little sisters got into a fight near me and that little bit of chaos was enough for me to make that last push to freedom?" The girls immediately knew who he was referring to, and as expected, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were the most dumbstruck. "No? Really? It's true. I didn't even have to imprint on them either. It just sort of happened! Now, if I had dropped Matt into Canterlot instead of Ponyville, attaching myself to him to leech off him would have been redundant. I don't need to be attached to somepony to be affected by the chaos they create – I just have to be close enough to them when they cause it."

Discord snapped his fingers with glee, and numerous city blocks lit up with the presence of what must have been thousands upon thousands of people crammed onto the streets like sardines. Perhaps he summoned everyone who was still trapped somewhere in the city. Screams of terror rippled through the air around them as they gradually recovered from their short bouts of vertigo.

"Look around, Matt," Discord instructed. He wrapped an arm around the man's shoulder and got cheek to cheek with him. "All these people? I didn't attach myself to a single one. Why would I need to? I've been floating around just over their heads this entire time. And how many of your kind are in this 'New York' place? Millions?" He uncoiled himself from around Matt, asking him a horrifying question. "Surely you remember how powerful you alone made me, hmm?"

The terrible reminder made their stomachs drop and their eyes go wide. Matt himself almost forgot how to breathe.

"You should have seen how much insanity and mayhem all these people caused those first few days before they were finally corralled into these buildings! The fires, the overturned cars, the destroyed store fronts, the bodies they left in their wake – oh, it was glorious! This isn't how my original plans were meant to go down, but I don't care in the slightest! Somehow, I've been reborn stronger than I ever thought possible, and no one – not even me – has any idea how it all happened in the first place!"

He doubled over in laughter while the Elements, Matt and Rachel stood frozen in fear. What were they supposed to do now? Their jewelry didn't have any effect on him last time when he redirected its blast out of the way. Would he even need to do so now if they were to fight back? Any questions they may have had on their mind were cast to the side when Discord abruptly stopped laughing and glared menacingly at Matt.

"But I'm still salty over what you did to me," the spirit growled as he yanked his hated enemy over, a bright glow clinging to his body.

"I-I don't suppose we can talk about th–yaaaah!"

"Matt!"

Before the mares could react, the terrified young man was whipped through the air and thrown viciously into a nearby car, denting the door so hard that the window shattered upon impact – payback for the savage beating he received so many months ago.

"NO!"

Before his broken body even collapsed onto the concrete, all Hell suddenly broke loose across the entire island. The people, the vehicles, the buildings, everything around them began buzzing in and out, swallowed up in golden static. Below their hooves, the streets almost appeared to be vanishing from underneath them. While Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash took to the sky, the others stutter-stepped in place, afraid they were going to fall through the ground at any minute. It only took a second for them to realize they were safe from that conundrum, if nothing else.

Everyone around the mares, including Rachel, were falling over one after another screaming in agony, clutching at their chests and stomachs as if they were being torn apart. Even Discord stopped in his tracks, just as baffled at their surroundings.

"What's happening?!" Fluttershy screamed.

Applejack wasn't waiting for an answer. She sprinted over to Matt with Rarity and Rainbow Dash a step behind her and skidded to a halt next to his unmoving, crumpled form. He was barely breathing. "Matt! Matt!"

With their old friend being checked, Twilight, Pinkie and Fluttershy looked over Rachel. The strange flickering made them hesitant to touch her. They had no idea if something serious would happen to her if they did.

Before they could come to a decision on how to help the poor girl, something else just as bizarre stole their attention. In the middle of the street, Discord had collapsed and was breaking apart as well, the pain on his face not just a gag this time.

As he struggled and hollered in anguish, he caught eyes with Twilight. Only a moment ago, he was boasting about his return. Now, it felt as if something was killing him all over again. Though he didn't see them around the ponies' necks, if their leader had learned a spell to somehow summon the Elements of Harmony from wherever they may be, he could easily be in serious trouble despite his incalculable strength. Whatever was doing this to him was leaving him vulnerable and open to attack.

He sat up on one knee, straining against the agony, and swung an arm at his enemies. They vanished from in front of him and reappeared in the center of Ponyville after a brief moment, as far away from him as he could think to send them at such a time. It took the girls a second to realize where they suddenly were, being too focused on Matt and Rachel. The town hall and Carousel Boutique down the block gave it away.

A small crowd gathered around to gawk at the screaming woman and the unconscious savior of their town that randomly materialized in front of them. But there wasn't any time to sit and chat and explain what happened with them; Matt and Rachel needed more help than even the magically-adept celestial student could give them.

Throwing caution to the wind, Twilight gently lifted Rachel into the air, pausing to make sure nothing crazy happened. Somehow, despite looking as if her body was not completely in reality, she managed to stay in the unicorn's clutches. Even more carefully, Twilight raised Matt overhead, doing everything she could to keep his body as still as possible.

"Get out of the way! Move!" Rainbow Dash shouted as their audience parted.

Twilight and the others bolted in the direction of the Ponyville Hospital without saying a word. Reattaching a few broken ribs when he first crashed into Sugarcube Corner was one thing. She just knew by watching how hard Discord smashed him into that vehicle that this was a hundred times worse.

As they sprinted, they couldn't help but notice the few things they ran by that were alien to their world in the same state that Rachel was. But they had bigger concerns and pushed on ahead.

-----

The seconds that went by may as well have been hours as they sat and paced and silently panicked while they sat in the lobby. Hardly a word had been said among them after their friends disappeared into the heart of the facility. Anything they did to try and help themselves relaxed was met with failure.

Outside, the moon had already been up for hours. A few of them had started to nod off, too exhausted from all the emotional stress. Their naps would be put on hold when a familiar golden-maned doctor opened the double doors in front of them and met their eyes.

"Would you like to see them?" he asked.

The six hopped off their seats, stretching their tired necks and spines, and followed the concerned physician. Room after room they passed by as they walked down the long hallway. Eventually, they were led to the recovery wing where they found Matt propped up on a smaller bed than he was used to sleeping on.

Most of his upper half was encased in a body cast and a brace was wrapped around his neck. Wires and tubes connected him to a handful of pieces of hospital equipment that beeped slow and steadily. He almost looked like some sort of monster from a horror movie. In the corner, Rachel was sprawled out in a chair with a leg draped over one of its arms. Both were fast asleep, but only she woke up when she heard the chorus of hoofsteps against the tile floor. She rubbed her weary eyes and sat up straight. If given the chance, she could have probably slept for a week.

"How are you feeling?" Fluttershy asked.

Rachel didn't answer, choosing to look past the mares and at her unconscious lover. She stood, cracking her back, and dragged the chair to his bedside. She took his unresponsive hand in her own as she sat back down.

"Ah see him for the first time in what feels like forever, and in less than a day, some freak son of a bitch nearly kills him. How do ya think Ah'm feelin'?"

The Elements averted their eyes and shrank away.

"A-Ah'm sorry," Rachel sighed. "Ah know what you were askin'. Ah'm okay...physically, at least."

"How's he?"

"Ladies?" the medic spoke up. "If I could speak to you outside, please?"

"Excuse us," Twilight said. Rachel ignored them as they left. The door glowed deep blue once they all were in the hall and quietly shut behind them. "Tell us you have some good news, doctor."

He curled his lips and looked away sadly. "It's...hard to say. I haven't seen anypony's body in such a state in a long, long time."

"How bad are you talking?" Applejack whimpered.

With a sigh, he went down the list. "Most of his vertebrae were seriously damaged, and he has extensive nerve damage up and down his spinal column on top of that. Several of his ribs were in pieces, and he was lucky that none of them managed to pierce either of his lungs. He sustained a few minor fractures to his skull, but fortunately none of them were so bad that he had started to bleed internally. If they did, he probably wouldn't be laying in there right now. His shoulder blades fractured, both of his arms dislocated... We did everything we could using our medicinal magics, but there's only so much they can do."

"So what now?"

"Well, we managed to stabilize him a few hours ago, finally. As you saw, he's unconscious. His vitals aren't bad considering his condition, but who knows how long they'll stay that way? We may need to get in there and fix him up manually, but we can't make that call until we see how much good the magic does over the next couple days." The doctor turned and faced the door to Matt's chamber, the other patient on his mind. "There's something else I wanted to tell you, too – involving Rachel."

"What is it?" Twilight asked. "Is she alright?"

"I'm...not sure. I think so. It was strange. When you brought her in here, she was...all fuzzy and...I don't really know how to describe it. I've never seen anything like it, well, ever."

"That part we're aware of," Rarity interjected. "What happened later?"

"Yes, right. Anyway, we eventually decided to bring her into the, err...the maternity ward. She had been screaming for hours and was disturbing many of the other patients. The maternity ward is kind of used to screams like that and we needed to try and diagnose her, run some tests, things like that. However, due to her...unusual condition, we were afraid to touch her or use any magic on her."

"So why does she seem normal now?" Fluttershy asked.

"That's the strange part. According to their charts, she appeared to stabilize very soon after he did. The poor girl had passed out long before then thanks to whatever it was that had her screaming for so long. When we finally were able to administer a few tests, we found that she was perfectly fine aside from some exhaustion. We still don't have any idea what caused them both to stabilize at roughly the same time."

"Could just be a coincidence," the farmer suggested.

The doctor replied with a shrug, "Maybe. Either way, we're at a loss. But, after she came to, she demanded to see your friend, so we brought her down here. She's been sitting in there ever since. One thing I'm especially curious about though – where did she come from? I'm aware of who brought Matt here thanks to that newspaper article last year. From what I understand, you all managed to get rid of him for good, yes? Does her presence mean...?"

The girls shared a defeated look. So much for being Equestria's protectors. "I'm afraid so," Twilight whispered.

"...Oh dear."

"He claims he didn't have anything to do with it, but considering who's saying it, there's no reason to believe him. Just promise me that you won't say anything. It's probably inevitable that he's going to show up here in Ponyville, but if we can delay having a panic on our hooves until we can figure out how to fight him off again..."

"O-Of course. Is...he what happened to Matt?" They nodded their heads.

"Twilight," Fluttershy spoke up, "it's probably not a bad idea to let Princess Celestia and Princess Luna know what's going on. I have a feeling we're going to need their help more than ever if what you-know-who said was actually true."

"I will. We should probably talk about what all we can do ourselves back at the library too."

"We're going to be keeping an extra eye on him in the meantime. It's been past visiting hours for a little while, but considering who you all are and the condition he was in when you arrived here, we figured it was alright for you to stay a little longer," the doctor explained. "Still, we're going to need to space to work and I'm sure you want to head home."

"Not really. What if he–"

"I'll have our fastest pegasus on standby for you if things take a turn for the worse. You're going to have to bring Rachel with you though. I know she'll want to stay too, but there's nothing wrong with her, and like I said, we'll need the room."

With a sigh and a nod, Twilight cracked open the door and peered inside. Rachel hadn't moved. Rainbow Dash, taking to the air, pushed the door ajar and glided inside with her companions right behind her. The young woman didn't respond as they approached her.

"Rachel, we need to be going," Twilight whispered.

"Ah'm stayin'."

"I'm afraid we really can't allow that, Miss," the doctor said. "I understand why you wouldn't wish to go, but we need to room to work. Matt has told us before about the hospitals on your world. Surely they have similar rules in place."

She didn't reply but understood his point. It was unlikely her stubborn streak was going to win in this battle of wills, but that wouldn't stop her from trying.

"Rachel, you're in good hooves with these ponies, I assure you. I've also already promised to notify them immediately if anything happens here." He stepped up to the heartbroken girl and rested a hoof on her shoulder. "We'll do everything in our power to help him. You have my word."

She looked over at Matt's face and followed the tubes to the apparatuses keeping him going. A lonely tear trickled down her cheek as the machinery sang their songs.

"Will Ah be able to see him tomorrow?"

"And every other day after that, yes."

She rubbed her tired, watery eyes. It wasn't going to be of any use. The doctor wasn't going to budge, and this was their city – their world – no matter how familiar it felt. At least Matt was still alive, and the times that she was awake in his room, the monitors seemed to indicate that his vitals were steady, just like everyone who came in to check on him said.

The physicians and nurses she talked to had briefly explained their healing magics, much of which she couldn't understand. She still had next to no idea how these talking horses had magic or how it worked, but she had no choice but to trust in them. The purple one had shown a few demonstrations the night before at the Waldorf, so if it could do things humans could but only easier or even better – including mending injuries – what else could she do?

Never mind the fact that she was completely drained of strength and the chair she had nodded off in was horrendously uncomfortable. Plus, it was unlikely at this point that the hospital would allow her to crash in one of the vacant rooms.

"Alright," Rachel sighed, squeezing Matt's hand one last time before standing up.

"Thank you, Miss, we appreciate it. I'm sure you'll all come as well?" the doctor asked the group, receiving affirmative replies all around. "Very good. I'll escort you out."

-----

There was hardly anything going on around town as the Elements walked Rachel to the only place that made sense to bring her – Matt's house. As they went, the new Ponyville guest received a few curious looks albeit brief ones. If the citizenry hadn't been used to seeing Matt for so long, they probably would have been more nervous.

Fortunately, nopony stopped to ask who she was and simply minded their own business. The woman's misery was written all over her face, and they felt it best to just leave her be lest they inadvertently make things worse by asking her about it.

Rachel barely said a word as they walked, mostly nodding or mumbling the occasional 'uh huh' when the girls told her that they'd help in her any way that they could while she was in Equestria. If she was forced to stay any significant amount of time, they would need to show her a few things in town or assist her with various chores like getting groceries and the like. It would likely be similar to what they did for Matt when his presence was finally revealed to Ponyville.

After a while, they arrived at his quaint little home within sight of the library. Like most of the houses in Ponyville, it was unlocked, even while they had traveled north. Rarely having to worry about burglary was a nice perk of living in a small town, and the townsponies respected Matt too much to think about breaking into his home.

"Well, this is his place," Twilight said, opening the door for Rachel and flicking on the light. They stepped inside to the usual, simple decor. "It's not terribly large, but he never bothered to buy too much stuff. Did you want us to show you around?"

"No thanks. All Ah really wanna do is pass out."

"Alright. We'll stop by to pick you up about lunchtime, take you to get something to eat, if that's okay?"

"Yeah," the melancholy young lady muttered.

The unicorn gently set a hoof on Rachel's arm though it garnered no reaction from their new human friend. "He'll be alright. He told you how much he went through when he first came here last night, and he always turned out fine before. They're good doctors. We know he'll be okay this time too."

Whether or not Twilight reached her was up for debate. Rachel just stood there silently in the entranceway, cold and numb.

"Well, if you don't need anything, we'll let you be. There's a lot we need to do back at my place. If you want something – anything at all – just say the word. Sleep well, okay?"

With heavy hearts, they filed out one by one and left Rachel to her own devices. Applejack was the last to leave, taking a moment to gaze sadly at the girl and making a decision for tomorrow.

It took Rachel a few minutes to even turn the living room lights off and march on ahead into the residence. To her right, she saw the kitchen and dining area, visible thanks to moonlight sneaking in a window. She wasn't interested in the least despite how her stomach was fussing. The hall to the left must have gone to the bedroom.

Her assumptions were correct. The full size bed greeted her, still messy from when Matt slept in it last. She slipped off her shoes and tossed them by the nearby nightstand. With the last of her energy, she crawled under the covers and tried to get comfortable, but getting her mind to turn off was a challenge unto itself. Amid her tossing and turning, she snatched one of the two pillows in her arms and squeezed it tightly. A short time later, her muffled crying ceased and she drifted off to sleep.