• Published 6th Dec 2013
  • 976 Views, 29 Comments

The Diary of a Ghost - TCValley



Ever tried keeping a diary? No? You should. Helps you look back on your life. Helps you remember those good and bad days, and reflect. And, who knows? Some day it might even save your life.

  • ...
0
 29
 976

(CH1) Friendship is TINGLY. Get it Right.

Entry: #1

Date: July 8th

(It pains me to write this) Dear Diary,

My first entry in this book. I'm new to diaries, and I have no idea how to begin.

So I'm just gonna describe the day for right now. That may get me somewhere.

The sun is bright, and the sky is all blue, and clear, and all those adjectives. I'm guessing. I can’t exactly see all that well anymore. I lost quite a bit of my vision a while ago. By that, I mean I have no pupils. At all.

Long story.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to see without pupils?

My recommendation: Don’t try it at home. Blindness is a real jerk.

Oh hang on. I didn't introduce myself, did I, book? I'm sure you're dying to know who I am.

…Guess I didn’t drink enough coffee this morning. Considering the fact that I never drink coffee.

Name’s Beyond. Some of my few pals call me Bey, and that’s pronounced Bay, like the body of water. I don’t know if Discord started playin’ around with their minds, if he’s trying to get back at me for one of my pranks, or if they just need to sleep more, but honestly.

Of all the nicknames in Equestria, I get Bey.

Three words.

Just my luck.

...Actually, I hate luck. Scratch that. SCRATCH SCRATCHING THAT.

Anyway, I ought to tell ya more about myself, right? Because you care so much…

Well, you are a book. I see no reason not to tell you.

Alright, I’ll start off with the part everyone gets wrong. They all think that I’m an albino earth pony with no pupils. And they’re two thirds right. While I am an earth pony, and while I do lack pupils, I am most certainly not an albino. Being a ghost makes you look pure white, and slightly translucent. BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN SEE THROUGH ALBINOS.

But, yes. Gasp. Shake your head. Get it out of your system. I’m dead.

Well, it really shouldn't be a surprise if you read the cover. Of a GHOST?

Actually, what the heck are you doing in here if you read the cover? WHY IS YOU SKULL NOT SOMEWHERE THAT THEY CAN'T FIND IT?!

...Lock your windows tonight.

In reality, if this journal wasn’t charmed to interact with the souls of the living and dead, I wouldn’t even be able to write this.

Aside from that, another thing I'm always getting asked is, "What's wrong with your voice?"

NOTHING. NOTHING is wrong with my voice. What's wrong with YOUR voice? HMMM?

When you die, your vocal chords don't exactly go with you, let alone do their spiritual versions cooperate with your now spiritual form.

See, when I speak, it sounds like I'm speaking into an autotuner. What I mean is that my voice literally sounds electronic. And if not that, like I SERIOUSLY need a cough drop.

And you know what? I CAN'T HELP THAT. So deal with it.

Anyway, I’m a ghost, yes. So that means I lived once, right? I used to live in the memories of my friends and family, after I died. But they all either died themselves or forgot about me. And according to the rules, a ghost will not fade until they are forgotten entirely.

Of course, I found a loophole. Everything has a loophole. Bet I'd make a good lawyer.

Probably scare the whole courtroom away at the same time. If no one can defend the other party you win by default!

It didn’t say specifically that the living needed to remember you to keep you from fading. So I remember myself, and I don’t fade.

Been working so far.

Genius, eh?

I pride myself on my intellect. And my awesomeness. I'm also incredibly humble.

In case you couldn't tell.

I don’t see any good reason to fade, anyway. I mean, if you died and came back as a ghost, wouldn’t you have fun scaring the heck out of everyone? Because I know I do.

I just wish I could interact with a camera to show you pictures of their expressions when I pop through a wall. Priceless!

Oh, and not everyone can see me. Only the ones who have seen me in their dreams can see me in the conscious world. But I can choose who dreams of me, and who doesn't. I can also make ponies pass out on the spot, just to introduce myself, or say hi. Pretty funny when a new guard is talking to one of the princesses and just passes out.

But it's not like I would ever do that. I'm a good ghost.

I would never.

Anyway, the few who can see me are usually curious to how I died. Well, on the day that was believed to be the apocalypse, a gigantic meteor crashed into Equestria, but made sure it hit me first. Conveniently. My whole body was obliterated in fire and pressure in about a half of a second. No pain, though. Lucky me.

Can’t be a true ghost without a sudden, unexpected death, eh?

But as far as I’m aware, I’m the only dead spirit in Ponyville. I mean, I’ve been around for a really long time, and I’ve never seen another like me.

Except for one other.

You have no idea who I'm talking about, do you?

...So sue me.

The only other ghost I've ever met. He goes by Polaris. I'm surprised he even became a ghost, with the way he died. Slow, tragic, and alone.

To be descriptive, he's a pegasus. He's also the only ghost I've ever seen that's yellow tinted, but that's mostly because I'm the only ghost I've ever seen besides him. He's incredibly arrogant, and only ever revealed himself to me. I'm pretty sure no one else knows he exists.

That was quite a meeting...

...And he can also speak through telepathy, and he will when he can, but he's generally pretty quiet. I hate when he does that, though. His voice is so dang annoying...

Well, going on to what had happened today. I was still in my house. It was pretty early in the morning, but late enough for me to say “this morning”. Say, 10:00?

I’m not that good with time.

Anyway, l decided it was about time to head on over to SugarCube Corner. The others asked me to meet them there. Well, it wasn't all of them. More just the sonic one. She seemed really excited about… something. She said that all the others’d be there, and that I better show up.

So I figured I may as well. Saturdays can get really inactive and draggy.

My little assumedly “abandoned” home is pretty small, and made mostly of wood. But it’s comfortable, and I can live in it. Or carry out my spiritual existence in it, anyway.

Well, standing in one spot wasn't gonna get me to my second graveyard. I had to actually move to go places.

(...Darn...)

Well, I hoped the others'd be there. The Rainbow one loves pranks.

Since I have no need for… physical means of movement, I turned to my left, and phased through the green wall in front of me. Good color, green. Symbolizes life, and nature.

Wish I was green...

Anyway, I arrived in the uneventful streets of the small town I lived in… Well, I wasn’t liv- you know what, you get the idea.

SugarCube Corner was actually pretty close to my home. A few turns down the quiet streets, and your eyes are assaulted by pink…

…Pink everywhere may seem like torture, but you get used to it.

The door was rather thick, for a door. I mean, it was about two inches of wood. Who needs that much wood on a door? That’d be a bit more helpful on the walls…

But that doesn’t matter. At all. Once my vision returned from walking through the closed entrance, I immediately recognized four neon colored ponies. They were sitting at a nearby table, smiling, talking, and giggling.

Trust me when I say, my six friends are not the kind of ponies you wanna mess with. They essentially killed the King of Chaos. That’s not exactly something a normal group could do. And a normal group? They’d be turned into popcorn or tables or something, knowing Discord.

I have other friends too, of course. I'm sure they'll get their own entries, eventually.

But I wasn’t moving towards Discord at the moment, nor any of the others. The four mares sitting caught sight of me, and more or less waved their hooves in my direction. I looked to my left, and noticed a stallion looking at them like they were crazy, and glancing at where I was standing.

I could feel my eyes sparkle. If that's even possible. I'm not really sure. But I knew I would have fun with him later. Introductions are always the best times to scare the heck out of them.

Oh, and I did introduce myself to all six of them, so they all could see me. I managed to get each of them to scream, except the pink one. Actually, she kind of scared me...

She did things in that dream that no one should be able to do...

Anyway, I reached them, and took one of the five seats. Well, kind of. I’ll just say this to prevent further confusion: ghosts cannot interact with the physical world at all. We can fly, essentially. But I prefer to act like a normal pony, so I try my best to make it look like I’m walking on the ground.

“Hey, Bey!”

“Howdy, Beyond!”

“Hi Beyond!”

“Good you made it, darling!”

Love the way Rarity addressed me. How many people say hi to a ghost by calling them 'darling'? She's really something...

Let’s see… I believe the present were Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Applejack, and Rarity, obviously.

“Oh, where the heck could they be? I’ll never find them if they stay this quiet,” I greeted them, providing them with a usual dose of my sarcasm.

Which they no doubt loved.

You know, sarcasm can brighten up your day, while gloomening everyone else’s? ...Ever try it? It’s quite fun.

...100% Beyond Approved. (That sounds... off...)

They all kept up their talking after I took on a rather neutral expression and leaned against the table. I looked over at the very confused stallion, who returned my gaze emptily, unaware of my presence. I smiled evilly, for good measure. Who wouldn't?

...STOP SHAKING YOUR HEAD.

The door decided to burst open a few moments later, accompanied by a very disruptive cyan pegasus, who was being tailed by a certain Fluttershy. It felt like Rainbow broke the sound barrier on her way over to the table. She could move faster than anything I’ve seen, save a certain meteor that ended my life. The yellow pegasus trotted over to the table slowly, but cheerily, with a happy smile gracing her face.

“So, you all know why you’re here, right?” she jumped up behind my chair, leaning through me.

I was not in the mood to see the internal organs of ponies, so I got up, and stood next to my chair instead.

...Being a ghost is a blessing and a curse.

Of course we do! If I said, ‘everyone come to my house, I have something I want to show you!’ wouldn’t you know why you were asked to come?” I remarked. I was really trying to get the sarcasm to drip from my voice.

And my comment was ignored almost entirely.

GO FLIPPING FIGURE.

“…Anyway… I wanted you guys to see this!” the cyan one extended her hoof, and placed something on the table.

This little thing was odd and lumpy, and also appeared to be made of… gold? Gold…

Looked like a cloud statuette. A little cloud made of gold.

Normal day in Equestria.

“I was clearin’ some clouds up yesterday, when I came across this little guy,” she patted it like a living being. I rolled my non-existent eyes. She can be too much sometimes. But so can I. “Isn’t it awesome?!”

Twilight’s horn began to glow, with a similar aura enveloping the cloud, and her eyes focused on something behind me. I looked back and saw nothing. She must have been zoning out, or really tired. She looked both.

...Late night reading I guess.

“Wow, Rainbow Dash! That is real gold! How did you even find it?” she asked, reaching toward it. She must have been casting some authenticity spell. Unicorns would be great at antiques if that is what she did.

“Oh, it fell out of one of the clouds I smashed,” she grabbed the little treasure from the table jealously. “It also has a little bit of writing on it. I have no idea what it says though.”

“Really? Let me see!” Pinkie materialized next to the sonic one and somehow snagged the item from her. “Hmmm… this lettering is weird," she looked at the wording with squinted, focused eyes. "I can’t tell what it says!” She was somehow holding Rainbow away from her hooves, and her little golden cloud.

...Is it bad that I liked watching her struggle? Say no.

“Twilight, would you?” I asked, gesturing toward the gold-clad cloud. Her horn glowed, enveloping me and the little item.

...Magic is tingly.

...So, if friendship is magic, and magic is tingly, then is friendship tingly?

Oooh, I have some correcting to do.

“What are you doing?! Don’t touch it!” Rainbow jumped at the cloud.

I snickered. She really is funny when she gets panicky.

Oh, and here's another thing I don't get. Why did she call us up to Sugarcube to show us a tiny golden cloud, and when we try to look at it, she tries to keep it away from us?

I probably shouldn't think about it too hard...

“Too late.” The gold piece appeared in my hoof. I glanced over the lettering. Lord, it was tiny. It said something along the lines of this:

“dnuoF rednuhT- !sniatnuoM gnirevihS eht hguorht elbissecca yltnerappa si tI !noisnemiD weN ehT detacol evah eW ”

I have only one thing to say to the maker of this thing.

YOUR LOGIC IS AMAZING.

Bet now that I look back on it, the pattern was so simple. I feel like such an idiot for not recognizing it. But oh well.

What happens, happens.

“Well now. This is interesting,” I shook my head, and Twilight recollected it next to herself. She lifted it with her magic, and found the small inscription. Her eyes lit up, and a mirror materialized, floating before the cloud. Rarity was almost completely smothered by it, and stood up with the majority of those present. Only Applejack and Twilight were sitting at that point.

And that stallion across the room, who looked so confused and disturbed. Would've been a perfect moment for a picture.

“Aha!” she exclaimed rather loudly. All eyes shot to her. “‘We have located The New Dimension! It is apparently accessible through the Shivering Mountains! -Thunder Found'. Looks like you found something special, Dash! It's that, or someone had lots of spare gold and got bored.” The mirror vanished into thin air.

I had already lost most of my interest, and I was walking toward a nearby wall. “Well, that’s cool. Enjoy your cloud, Das-”

What!? The New Dimension? That sounds so awesome! Don’t you guys wanna see it?” Dash looked shocked at my reaction.

And honestly, I was shocked at hers. Never seen her so excited before.

“Do you think that the clouds in that “New Dimension” are made of gold?! If they are, then I don’t care if I have to go alone. I’m going,” Rarity dramatically exclaimed, hoof to her chest.

“I’d like to look into it,” Twilight, studious as ever, shared her comment.

“Would I!?” Pinkie bounced around the room with excitement.

“Ok,” Fluttershy murmured.

“I’m up for an adventure,” Applejack tilted her Stetson.

Then they all looked over at me. I was TRYING to phase through the wall and let the crazy mares have their adventures, but the looks on their faces told me they were intent on getting me to go with them.

Which pained me.

My last adventure had me murdered.

...Being murdered isn't fun. Don't try it at home.

“Bey? You comin’?” They all continued staring.

“You guys can just go. I’ll stay around here. I have people to frighten, eh?” I smirked, looking at the stallion who was just watching the mares who were talking to a wall, mouth agape.

“Aww, come on, Bey! You know it’ll be better than last time!”

I looked at Rainbow Dash, attempting to show as much pain in my expression as I could. It seemed to work, because her eyes got much bigger, and she looked down at the ground after being nudged by Twilight.

“O…oh. Right. Sorry…” she apologized, rubbing the spot Twilight had nudged her.

I simply walked out of the bakery through the wall, and started home.

Ghosts don’t need adventure.

At least, I don’t need adventure.

Or I didn't.

After that, I trotted on home. I decided, looking up at the sky, which was still all blue and adjective-loaded, that I wouldn't go with them.

I'd follow them.

And I'll take this book with me to write what happens.

The life of a ghost can be boring, so why not have a little fun? I might even be able to get Discord to help. He is a good friend of mine, after all. Heheh.

After I got home, I walked through the wall to this room, and started writing.

And I have no idea how to end this.

So.. uh... Yea.

Signing off,

Beyond

P.S.: Remember to ask Twilight about the spell she used on the golden cloud, and if it works on cameras!