• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,173 Views, 16 Comments

Rainbow's Quest - Zetriax



Rainbow Dash is having a lazy day when Pinkie Pie gives her a strange stone. Through many trials and discoveries, she embarks on a quest like never before.

  • ...
2
 16
 1,173

Our Differences

Chapter 9- Our Differences
The next morning, Rainbow Dash (wearing her black cloak), Future Rainbow, and Shadow Flare set out to truly begin the search for the Fate Stone. As they walked, Rainbow kept gazing at the new sights that blended with the familiarities of the Ponyville she knew.
“What does that place sell?” Rainbow asked.
“That place sells potions and remedies. Zecora decided a while ago that a profit could be made with her creations,” Shadow replied.
“Interesting,” she said.
She turned to Future Rainbow. She had much she wanted to ask her future self. However, she didn’t know where to start, or even what to call her. Calling her Rainbow Dash was weird and calling her Future Rainbow was just awkward, and could raise suspicions of passing ponies if they heard.
“Um, what should I call you?” Rainbow asked, without much of a better place to begin.
“What do you mean? You know my name,” said Future Rainbow.
“Duh. It’s just that it’s awkward and confusing if we both called each other Rainbow Dash.”
“Okay, how about this. You be Rainbow. I’ll be Dash.” She replied.
“Well that does take away confusion, but it makes you sound like the faster one.”
“Well, maybe I am. I am a full ten years older.” Dash smirked.
“There’s only one way to settle this!” said Rainbow.
Dash nodded, “How about from Sugarcube Corner to Carousel Boutique?”
Rainbow flexed her wings in preparation for the race. “You’re on!”
“Ready?” said Dash.
“Set,” said Rainbow.
“GO!” they both cried as they tore across the sky.
The two cyan pegasi flapped frantically as they tried to surpass each other. Rainbow relished the feeling of the wind in her face and the adrenaline rushing through her veins. However, the cloak was becoming a bit bothersome and the hood was slightly blocking her vision. She swiftly cast off the troubling article of clothing and put on an extra burst of speed to catch up with Dash.
Sugarcube Corner was upon them in an instant. They tagged the roof with their hooves almost simultaneously and darted towards the Carousel Boutique near the center of the town. They were a double-rainbow streak across the sky.
Rainbow struggled to pull ahead but they were perfectly matched. The Boutique was looming into view. It was going to be a tie if something didn’t happen to put the odds in her favor. Summoning the last of her strength, Rainbow tried to put on a last spurt of speed.
She was about to tag the roof when she heard a gasp of alarm from somewhere below her. In her momentary distraction, Dash shot past and tagged the roof. “Shoot!” said Rainbow.
She turned to see who had gasped and saw a familiar pony standing below. It was Rarity.
“Why are there two of you? I thought the cave to the Pool of Mirrors was caved in,” the white unicorn exclaimed.
“Oh! Hi Rarity!” said Dash. “Um, this is… a clone! Yeah. Shadow Flare made a clone of me and I just wanted to see how accurate it was,” she lied.
“Oh. I see. Still hanging out with that magician, eh?”
“He is not a magician!” shot Dash, “He’s just good at magic.”
“Well then! I stand corrected,” Rarity said in a teasing way, “But, if I didn’t know better, I’d have thought you had a crush on him.”
“Do not!” said Dash, whose face blushed.
Rarity giggled, “Oh, come off it. I was just teasing.”
“Yeah, okay,” said Dash, still a bit flustered.
“Speaking of Shadow, have you seen him lately? I repaired his saddlebag but I didn’t see him at his cottage.”
“He’s helping look for this magical stone for Rainbow.”
Rainbow tensed. That sort of mistake wasn’t easy to cover. She hoped Dash could come up with a decent excuse.
“I beg your pardon?” said Rarity.
“Oh, I mean, my clone here. Yeah, she needs a special stone to work,” Dash covered. Rainbow probably could’ve come up with something better, but it’d have to do.
“Whatever, I’ll just get him to pick it up tomorrow. I’m going to be busy the rest of the night. I have thirteen special dress orders!” Rarity nodded her farewell and walked into the shop.
“What was that?” Rainbow asked Dash when Rarity was gone. “You lie worse than Applejack!”
Dash smirked, “You do realize that you just insulted yourself.”
Rainbow smiled at that, “Yeah, guess I did.”
“We’re actually a bit different. You know?” said Dash.
Rainbow glanced at her curiously, “How do you figure?”
“Well,” Dash began, “We obviously have differing opinions.”
“I don’t think that really makes us different,” stated Rainbow.
Before Dash could counter, a voice interrupted their conversation.
“There you are! I was trying to tell you that racing was not the smartest idea, but nobody listens to me, do they?” Both Rainbow Dashes turned their gazes at Shadow with amused expressions.
“And you certainly shouldn’t remove your cloak in public,” he said to Rainbow.
“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again,” she said with a mock admonished tone.
Dash smiled widely, but refrained from laughing.
“We bumped into Rarity,” said Rainbow, “She says your saddlebag is finished.”
“Okay, I’ll pick it up later. I wanted to know where you woke up when you arrived here.”
“Um, it was somewhere over the south side of town. I’m not exactly sure where.” Rainbow explained.
Shadow nodded, “Then we’ll start there.”