• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,170 Views, 16 Comments

Rainbow's Quest - Zetriax



Rainbow Dash is having a lazy day when Pinkie Pie gives her a strange stone. Through many trials and discoveries, she embarks on a quest like never before.

  • ...
2
 16
 1,170

Losing to the Darkness

Chapter 12- Losing to Darkness
Rainbow and Shadow trekked along the path determinedly. At the end of the street floated a house made of clouds. The house belonged to Rainbow Dash.
“Do you really think Scootaloo gave the stone to Dash?” asked Shadow.
“I’m positive. If they hang out as much as you say, surely Scoots would’ve returned the stone to me. Well, the other me,” Rainbow replied.
Shadow cast a sideways glance at her. “You don’t know if Scootaloo even found the stone. We can’t just waltz into Dash’s place and demand the stone back if she doesn’t have it.”
Rainbow sighed. “You’re right. We should probably ask Scoots if she’s seen the stone.”
The black unicorn nodded in approval. “So,” Rainbow said, “Where does the young mare live nowadays?”
“I think she has a house on the west side of town. It isn’t too far,” he said, nodding in the direction of the setting sun.
As the two ponies walked side by side, Rainbow slipped into deep thought. After today, only nine days remained until the world would be destroyed. She sighed. Why did everything have to be life or death? Why couldn’t everypony walk through life without having to worry about what would happen if you made one false step? Life always had a way of sneaking up on you when you least expected it. Rainbow just wanted to wake up and realize it was all a dream. But, it wasn’t. She was here, in the future, facing the end of the world.
“Rainbow,” Shadow said, jerking her away from her thoughts. “We’re here.”
They stood before a cottage with a feel of peace and serenity. It didn’t seem to fit with Scootaloo’s daredevilish ways.
“Are you sure this is it? It doesn’t exactly fit Scootaloo,” Rainbow asked.
Shadow shrugged. “I think the place was once owned by an old lady. Scootaloo only recently moved in. She probably hasn’t had time to renovate yet.”
The explanation sounded plausible enough to Rainbow. With that, she cantered up to the door and gave it a solid knock. Rainbow stood back and waited for somepony to answer. After a few seconds, the door opened and an orange pegasus peered out. Scootaloo instantly smiled. “Rainbow Dash! It’s good to see you! I see you brought Shadow. Please, come on in.”
Rainbow and Shadow filed in behind Scootaloo. The walls inside were lined with shelves filled with trophies and awards. There were also many pictures of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, or whatever they called themselves now, hanging on the walls.
“So,” Scootaloo started, “What brings you two here on this fine evening?” She plopped onto a particularly soft-looking couch and gazed expectantly at them.
“We’re looking for a stone. You remember, about three days ago, when you found me sleeping on that cloud? I think I left my stone on it. And we’ve been searching everywhere for it. Have you seen it?” Rainbow quickly explained.
Scootaloo’s eyes brightened. “Oh! Do you mean this stone?” Scoots pulled out a small white stone with Rainbow’s cutie mark on it. Rainbow nearly yelped in delight at having finally found the stone.
“Thank you!” Rainbow said ecstatically. She reached for the stone then stopped. She turned to see Shadow gazing at her. He was smiling but there was a sad look in his eyes.
“And thank you, Shadow,” she said with an air of finality.
“I’ll miss you,” he replied.
Scoots gave Rainbow a puzzled look. “Where are you going?” she asked.
“Shadow will explain later,” she said. Rainbow then took the Fate Stone from Scootaloo’s hooves and placed it on the ground. She took a deep breath before crouching next to it.
“Stop right there!” the command ripped across the room.
Rainbow glanced up to see Dash standing in the doorway. However, something was different about her. The colors of her vibrant pelt were now dulled and slightly gray. Dash stalked across the room and halted right in front of Rainbow.
“And where do you think you’re going?” she growled at the pegasus.
“I’m going back!” Rainbow yowled, “Dash, you know what’ll happen if I stay here!”
“I do,” she said menacingly, “But who said the end was all bad?”
Before she knew what was happening, Rainbow was thrown against a wall. Trophies clattered around her as she struggled to stand again. Dash loomed over her and pinned Rainbow down by the shoulders.
“Who’s the better pony now, huh?” Dash snarled. Rainbow struggled to get up, but Dash was overpowering her. Dash shook her head and raised a hoof. Rainbow hadn’t even the time to yell before the hoof met the side of her face. She tasted blood in her mouth as she glanced up again, gazing defiantly at her future self.
Dash released her and walked back across the room to the stone. “Well then,” she said, “I guess you’ll need a few days to recover. Guess you won’t be checking out early.” Dash smirked and raised her front hooves. Rainbow watched in horror as she brought them down directly on the stone, shattering it into dust.