• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,164 Views, 16 Comments

Rainbow's Quest - Zetriax



Rainbow Dash is having a lazy day when Pinkie Pie gives her a strange stone. Through many trials and discoveries, she embarks on a quest like never before.

  • ...
2
 16
 1,164

Tempest

Chapter 31- Tempest
Rainbow tentatively peeked around the pillar to see what was going on. In the place where the lightning had struck now stood a yellow unicorn. Rainbow had to stifle her gasp at the sight. It was Chrono.
“And who might you be?” Princess Celestia demanded
“I am nameless, soulless. I don’t even know if I even exist,” Chrono replied, shaking his head.
“I don’t understand,” the Sun Princess responded. Something about this conversation seemed vaguely familiar to Rainbow, but she couldn’t quite place why.
“Of course you wouldn’t, princess. You belong in this world. I belong to nothing!” Chrono shouted, glaring at the princesses.
“Guards get rid of him!” Celestia ordered. Almost a dozen guards instantly burst through the entrance, brandishing swords and spears.
“Oh, you won’t get rid of me,” Chrono smirked, seemingly undaunted by the appearance of the soldiers.
“Sister! Warn Princess Twilight of this dangerous pony!” Celestia said. Luna nodded and was about to take off when Chrono bound them both with his magic. The guards lunged forward, but Chrono unleashed a blast that sent them all sprawling to the floor.
Chrono trotted close the two sisters and growled in their ears. “Oh, it’s not her I want. It’s you two!”
“What? What are you doing? What are you…”
Suddenly, the space around the alicorns folded in on itself, sucking the princesses into the dark vortex it formed. When the portal disappeared, the princesses were gone. Chrono smirked and leapt down from the throne.
Rainbow ducked backed behind the pillar. A memory came to her; she had heard these events in her dream on the train! Did this mean she was nine years in the future at the moment the princesses went missing?
There wasn’t time to process it. Chrono dashed out of the throne room as if he had a destination in mind. Rainbow set off after him, being careful not to be detected as he navigated the winding halls of the castle. As they made their way further, Rainbow began to puzzle over something. Where had Chrono come from? How exactly was he soulless and nameless? Why did he want to get rid of the princesses?
Chrono stopped abruptly in front a door Rainbow recognized: Starswirl’s room. Chrono unlocked the door using his magic and stepped through. Rainbow hovered quietly in after him and realized what was going to happen seconds before it did. Chrono smashed open the display case and withdrew two watches. He placed them both around his neck and turned around. He wasn’t surprised at all to see Rainbow floating in the doorway.
“You thought I didn’t notice you there, didn’t you?” Chrono said flatly. “You saw what I did to those guards. What do you think you can do to stop me?”
“What did you do with the princesses?” Rainbow demanded.
“I sent them away. They are the leaders of Equestria you know. With them out of the way, my job here will be much easier.”
“What job?”
Chrono smiled, “I’m going to make it so that we can exist…”
“We?” Rainbow questioned.
“Yes,” the stallion began to pace as he spoke, “those of us without souls, those of us without a place… those of us who don’t exist.”
“I’m going to kill you, Chrono! Stop speaking in riddles!” Rainbow snarled, poising for attack.
“Chrono? Is that a name? Wait. You must be a time traveler. You wear the same watch as the one I just stole.” He gestured to the one hanging around his own neck. “It is a one of a kind artifact. So, the fact that you have one must mean you come from sometime else. So, what is your name?”
“You’ll learn soon enough…” Rainbow muttered.
“Pity. And here I thought we were going to be friends. I mean, you just gave me a name and everything! So, how long is there left until the end?”
“Why should I tell you?” Rainbow muttered.
Chrono shook his head. “So defensive. I don’t understand why you feel it necessary to hide from me. I mean, I’ll know everything in time anyways.”
“Then be patient,” Rainbow retorted.
Chrono scowled. “I hate waiting. Will I have to find out by force?”
“Fine! There’s a day and a half left!” Rainbow yelled at him, feeling hopelessly manipulated.
“Hm, I think I’d rather not keep myself waiting…” Chrono said. Rainbow wasn’t sure if the words were directed at her or himself. Suddenly, a blue aura blazed to life around his horn. The light outside the window darkened grew light and darkened again. Alarmed, Rainbow shot forward and tackled Chrono. The aura instantly vanished. Rainbow pinned Chrono heavily to the ground though he didn’t even struggle in his grasp.
“What did you just do?” Rainbow growled in her face.
Chrono smiled back up at her. “I told you, I hate waiting. Now, in about an hour, all the Fallen and Tempest will finally have their chance at existence.”
“Wait. What?” Rainbow exclaimed. The Element glowed again and swallowed her in its light, preparing to send her the remaining year into the future. The last thing she saw was Chrono’s mocking smile.