• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,170 Views, 16 Comments

Rainbow's Quest - Zetriax



Rainbow Dash is having a lazy day when Pinkie Pie gives her a strange stone. Through many trials and discoveries, she embarks on a quest like never before.

  • ...
2
 16
 1,170

A Rekindled Flame


Chapter 16- A Rekindled Flame
Rainbow didn’t even bother trying to go back to sleep. Instead, she lied there, gazing out the window as the sun unfurled its golden wings and soared into the sky. She wished that she could be like the sun. Soaring across beautiful cloudscapes and shedding her light across the land below just seemed like it’d be so peaceful. But, the entire world relies on the sun. Just like the entire world now relied on Rainbow returning to her own time.
A doctor stepped into the room and closed the door quietly behind him, tearing Rainbow from her thoughts.
“Oh, you’re awake. How do you feel?” he asked.
Rainbow shrugged, “I don’t know. Alright, I guess.”
The doctor nodded and went to the computer positioned beside the heart monitor. He gazed at the screen intently for a few minutes. Then he gasped in alarm.
“No! It’s not possible!”
Rainbow’s heart sunk. What did that mean? Did something get infected? Was she not going to heal properly?
“Am I going to die?” she asked, fearing for the worst.
The doctor turned to her. He shook his head and smiled. “No, no. Quite the opposite, really. You have made a miraculous recovery! Not a single thing is wrong! I can’t explain it! Celestia must be watching over you.”
“Really?” Rainbow asked, disbelievingly. The doctor nodded and puzzled over the medical equipment. Rainbow took a deep breath. There wasn’t even the slightest hint of pain. She then took one of her hooves and pressed lightly on her ribs. Nothing. It was true. She was better. Thank you, Luna, she said in her mind.
The doctor shook his head. “Well, everything is in order. You are free to leave.” He disconnected all the tubes and wires from her body and sent Rainbow on her way.
Once out of the hospital, Rainbow breathed long and deep. The cool summer breeze was refreshing. All around her, life was evident. Birdsong filled the air and trees rustled in the wind. Rainbow had hardly taken notice of such simple things. She had been in such a constant state of worry since the beginning that the rest just kind of blurred into the background. It showed her that this time wasn’t so dark and oppressive after all, that life would go on. Rainbow was sure of it. There were no “ifs” about it. She would rescue this time and all would return to how it was supposed to be.
Rainbow turned onto the dirt trail that led through Ponyville and made tracks for Shadow’s library. Once she approached the tree-shaped building, she gave the door a solid knock. Before long, the door opened and Shadow peered out.
“Rainbow? You’re here how… when…” Shadow stuttered as he gazed at her affectionately.
“Princess Luna came to me in a dream last night. I think she healed me,” Rainbow boasted, her old vigor beginning to resurface. “Apparently, I am still too important to die.”
“I’m glad to hear it!” Shadow replied, gleefully. “Come on inside. Scootaloo showed up this morning trying to find you.”
Rainbow hardly took two steps inside before the orange pegasus ran up to her and threw her hooves around her neck. “I’m so glad you’re okay!” said Scootaloo.
Rainbow smiled sympathetically. “Hey now. Don’t be like that. This is Rainbow Dash you’re talking about. I’ll be okay no matter what happens. Ain’t nothing gonna stop me! I will save this place. I promise.” And she knew it to be true. She was going to save this world or die trying.
“Oh!” exclaimed Scoots, “I almost forgot! I brought your stuff over from my place. I figured I would bring it here to you, but then Flare told me what had happened and I was so worried…” Tears began to well in the young mares eyes again.
“Come on, squirt. Everything’s A-Okay, now,” Rainbow assured. She embraced Scootaloo with her wings in a supportive hug.
When they separated, Scoots dashed upstairs, returning with the watch. Rainbow gazed at her, puzzled.
“You could’ve left it up there, you know,” Rainbow said.
Scootaloo shook her head. “No, I want you to look at it,” she prompted, holding the watch out to the cyan pegasus.
Rainbow took it in her hoof and opened it. The hands glided slowly as it ticked off the days toward the End of Time. There were only seven days left. Rainbow sighed heavily.
“We need to do something,” Rainbow said, lashing her multicolored tail. She searched her mind for the faintest idea, but found none. She stomped her hoof on the ground angrily. “I wish there was another Fate Stone!”
Wait a second. There was another Fate Stone, wasn’t there? Starswirl had had two failed Fate Stone experiments. At least, that’s what it had said in that book.
“I’ve got it!” Rainbow exclaimed. Shadow and Scootaloo snapped their gazes in her direction. “There is another stone! It said so in Relics and Artifacts! Maybe we can find a clue as to where it might be by using that book.”
“Really?” Shadow asked, “You think so?”
Rainbow shot him a contemptuous glance. “It’s the best idea we’ve got.”
Shadow shrugged and walked to the bookshelf. Rainbow watched as he scanned the shelves once, then twice. He turned and shook his head. “It’s not here. Do you think somepony may have borrowed it?”
“I don’t kn…” she stopped midsentence. A memory flashed through her head; a yellow stallion with a green mane and red eyes requesting a certain book. She sunk to the floor. Why did everything have to be so screwed up?
“Somepony did take the book,” said Rainbow, “It was Chrono.”