• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 6,943 Views, 72 Comments

A New King - spectrobe18



not knowing how he arrived in the world of equestria he looks for a way home, however while doing this he gets stuck trying to help both the ponies and the changelings.

  • ...
42
 72
 6,943

Intruders

I awaken due to someone banging on the door. Fluttershy comes into the room and opens it. Rarity and Twilight come in and they both have saddlebags on like they were going to go somewhere. They start talking to each other, but I’m not awake enough to make it out. I get up and stretch then Rarity left the conversation and came over to me.

“Good morning Dillon.”

“Morning.”

She smiles to herself.

“I think you’ll be happy to know that I finished a pair of your clothes yesterday.”

Her saddlebag opens and she floats a neatly folded stack of clothes to me.

“Great thanks.”

“Can you try them on now?”

“Of course I will. I’ll be back in a minute.”

I go upstairs into the bathroom to change. The clothes she made are amazing. Comfortable, yet thick socks to walk in. The pants are black with a fire design from my ankles to my knees and it has large pockets on each side. The shirt is black and is short sleeved. On the back it has wings coated in fire. Everything fit perfectly too. When I’m done admiring my new look I head back downstairs, so Rarity can do the same.

“How do you like them?”

“I love them and I was wondering where did you get the idea from?”

“Celestia’s pet phoenix.”

“That would explain the fire and wings.”

I look to Fluttershy to see she also has a saddlebag now too. She then comes over to me.

“Are you ready to go?”

“Sure… Where are we going?”

Rarity speaks.

“Why to Canterlot to see the princess.”

“Why?”

Twilight speak this time.

“Yesterday I wrote her a letter about you and she sent one back telling us to introduce you as soon as possible.”

“So we’re going today?”

“Yes, we actually have to start heading to the train station now so we don’t miss our ride.”

“Ok fine just give me a sec.”

I go over to a table were I placed my phone, my translator, and bits. I pocket my phone and translator while I toss the bits to Rarity who catches them with her magic.

“Will that be enough for the clothes?”

“You don’t need to pay. You can have them free of charge since your one of my friends.”

“Well as your friend I insist you take it and get something nice for yourself.”

We leave Fluttershy’s house and most of the walk to the train station I was trying to convince Rarity to take the bits. Nothing I said worked, so I end up sneaking it into her bag while she wasn’t paying attention. When we got there we went directly onto the train. Apparently Celestia sent us our tickets with Twilights letter. We head to the last cart and we met up with Dash, Pinkie, and A.j. They exchange their greetings and we then take our seats. The train starts and we are now on our way to Canterlot.

After the first thirty minutes I was already bored out of my mind and apparently this trip was going to take until this evening. I look to see what the others were doing. Rarity brought work with her and the others are having a conversation.

“Rarity do you need help?”

She looks up.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think you can. If you know how to sew maybe you could.”

“Actually I can sew, I just can’t make clothes unless I’m directed by someone.”

“Ok you can help then I’ll just show you what you need to do.”

She tells me what I needed to do and pointed the corresponding areas. I sew the clothes and when I finished I give it to Rarity. She looks it over.

“This was very well done. Where did you learn sew like this?”

“My mother taught me.”

“She did a great job in teaching you.”

I nod. I only killed an hour helping Rarity and I sit another thirty minutes before boredom sets in again. I look to the group to see what they are doing. Rarity has joined the conversation and Twilight is now reading a book. I wonder if she has anymore with her.

“Twilight do you have anything I could read.”

She doesn’t look up, but she floats a book over to me. I take out my translator and I read the title.

“The History of Equstria. Um do you have any fiction books?”

She shakes her head. I hand her back the book.

“Sorry, anything about history puts me to sleep.”

Dash comes over to me.

“I got something you might like.”

She pulls a book out of her saddlebag and gives it to me. I read the title.

“The Adventures of Daring Doo. Now this will keep me busy, thanks.”

“Your welcome just give it back when you’re finished.”

“Sure.”

I start reading and after the first chapter I could definitely say this is their version of Indiana Jones. It’s a really good book and halfway through I ditched the translator because I finally had the language down. It took me a long time, but I do finish the book. I look out the window and watch the scenery go by. I do this not even a minute and two things are wrong. First I feel an increase in the train’s speed and we passed a train station without stopping. The door opens, again something you shouldn’t do on a moving train.

“Hand over all your valuables and no one gets hurt.”

Really a robbery? I face palm with the book still in my hand and it makes a noticeable thud. I look at the thief. He is wearing all black clothes and a mask. He also has a saddlebag and there is a knife strapped to his leg. He stares back at me.

“What the buck are you?”

Did he just curse at me?

“Does it matter?”

“No, it acually doesn’t.”

He’s keeping is eyes on me while he is collecting bits from the ponies in front of us. I look over to see how the others are taking this. Rarity is trying to keep calm, but she’s fidgeting. Twilight looks worried. Pinkie is trying to calm down Fluttershy. Dash and A.J. are whispering to each other, but there was something else that caught my attention. I see a tail under Twilights seat and I lean forward to get a better look. It was Sweetie Belle and it looked like she was on the verge of tears. The thief notices this.

“Stop! What are you doing?”

I ignore him.

“Hey Sweetie come here.”

She glances over to the thief.

“Don’t worry about him I promise to keep you safe.”

She bolts out and jumps onto my lap. I move her beside me and I pat her back.

“Just stay here.”

I stand up and step into the aisle. He doesn’t like this one bit.

“Sit down now!”

I step forward and he takes a few steps back.

“Don’t take another step!”

I take another step forward.

“I warned you!”

He pulls the knife and charges. I kneel down and hold up Dash’s book. The knife goes all the way through the book, but it doesn’t hit me. I twist the book forcing him to lose his grip on his weapon. I quickly stand up then lightly kick the side of his head. He was stunned, but not down. I pull the knife out then toss the book at him. He recovered quickly because he dodged it with no issue. I hold the knife up.

“It seems that the tables have turned.”

He’s backing up and it seems that he was about to run, but Dash tackles him to the floor. I go to Rarity’s saddlebag and I pull out some of the spare cloth. I go back over and tie his legs. Apple Jack comes over.

“That was quite something.”

The thief smiles.

“It’s not over yet. There are more of us on the train.”

“We’ll take care of it. Dash, A.J. are willing to help me?”

They nod.

“Good, now let’s start.”

The train doors have windows, so we’re able to peer into the carts before entering. We move up two carts before we spot the next thief. He looked the same as the other, but he was a pegasus and he was flying off the ground slightly. Dash and A.J. are discussing a plan, but I already had one. As soon as his back was turned I opened the door and ran up to him. He noticed it, but he didn’t have time to turn around. I put my hand on the back of his head then slammed it onto the floor. He was out cold.

“Come on you two.”

We continue through three more carts, but we were the ones surprised this time. He teleported onto the cart and immediately used his magic to throw me at the ceiling. He then threw Dash at me while I was falling back down. We collided and tumbled into the door. He is now using his magic to prevent Apple Jack from moving.

He pulls out his knife. Dash bolts towards him, but he continues to use his magic to throw her at one of the passengers. This time he screwed up because apparently he can only use his magic on one person at a time and A.J. uses this moment to buck his face. Dash still hasn’t recovered, so I guess it’s my turn. I run up to him and grab his horn.

“You don’t need this anymore.”

Using the knife I took earlier I swing it at the base of his horn. It connects and only goes halfway through, but with a twist of my wrist the rest snaps off. He drops to the ground and he puts his hooves to his head. Apple Jack stares in disbelief.

“Why did ya do that?”

“He was using it to hurt others therefore he doesn’t need it.”

Dash comes over and sees it.

“Whoa harsh.”

I sigh.

“Why don’t you two tell the conductor that he can slow down now while I take this guy and the other in the back.”

I pick the pony up. He was still in shock and didn’t struggle at all. I go back and get the pegasus who was still out cold. I take them back and bound them both. Everyone was staring at the pony that was missing his horn, but no one asked about it until Dash and A.j. got back. They explained while I lay down on the seat. My back hurt from being thrown around. Sweetie comes and jumps onto my chest.

“Thank you Dillon.”

“Your welcome.”

A question comes to mind.

“Sweetie why are you on this train?”

“Oh Scootaloo and me were playing ball, but she hit it to hard and it rolled onto the train. I went to get it and the train started. I was going to run off, but then I saw every pony coming. I hid under the seat because I didn’t want my sister to see me so she wouldn’t get mad at me.”

“Reminds me of my sister.”

“You have an older sister too.”

“No I have a little sister and she was a little evil thing, but I still miss her.”

Sweetie looks upset. Was it because she was sad for me? She sits down and now it looks as she was thinking hard about something. After a few minutes she finally decided on whatever she was thinking about.

“Would it be alright if you could be my big brother?”

Rarity perks up.

“Sweetie why do you want a brother when you already have me?”

“He’s super cool and nice.”

I pat Sweeties head.

“I accept… sis.”

Pinkie giggles and Fluttershy lets out an aww. A little while later Sweetie ends up falling asleep on me. It has been an exciting day, so I’m not really surprised. Also we should reach Canterlot early due to this excitement. After an hour of resting we finally arrived at the city in the side of the mountain known as Canterlot. I wake Sweetie and we all leave the train. As soon as we get off a white pony that was as tall as me greets us. She had wings and a horn, so this is an alicorn. The most noticeable feature about her was her colorful mane that constantly flowed even though there was no wind. She also had two guards with gold armor with her.

“You must be the one named Dillon.”

“I am, but I’m not important right now. Can you send your guards to pick up the thieves in the back of the train?”

She looks to her guards and they nod then go on the train.

“If you would, please follow me.”

She starts to walk off and we follow her. Everyone here knows who she is and apparently very well.

“Excuse me, but may I have your name.”

“I am Princess Celestia.”

“Well I didn’t realize I was in the presence of royalty, so Celestia where are we heading”

“We’re going to my castle.”

Fluttershy actually spoke up loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Would it be alright if Dillon and I came by the castle later?”

“That would be fine, but may I ask why?”

I know why.

“I promised I would help Fluttershy with something while we’re here.”

Sweetie skips to my side.

“Can I come?”

“I’m sorry, but this is on private matters.”

Fluttershy starts tugging on my shirt.

“Ok I’m coming.”

She starts to lead me through the city and we soon come to a house with an open area next to it with metal working tools. There was also a pony in it polishing a helmet.

“Is that Iron Hoof?”

She blushes in response. I look over the pony. He was a unicorn with a dark grey coat and short dark blue mane and tail. He was also wearing goggles and a vest where he carried his tools.

“Do you want to talk to him or do I need to.”

She nudges me forward. I guess I’m talking to him. I walk up to his workspace. He looks up at me.

“Hello, what can I do for you?”

I’m surprised he not glaring at me like I’m some kind of freak like most of the other ponies are.

“Um Iron Hoof I’m here to tell you something my shy friend over there can’t.”

He peers around me and sees Fluttershy. She stares at the ground blushing madly.

“You mean Fluttershy?”

“You know her?”

“Yes I do. She saved my pet beetle Hercules and in return I fixed up some of her house.”

He puts the helmet on a mannequin.

“So what is it that she couldn’t tell me?”

“She has a crush on you.”

He’s taken aback.

“Wh-what why w-would she like m-me?”

“She finds you being very nice and handsome. Do you not like her?”

“I-it’s not that. I do like her the same way she feels about me, but…”

“But what? You should go tell her.”

“I can’t there’s something about me that no one can know about and if I were to get in a relationship it would be found out.”

He hangs his head.

“Tell her I’m sorry.”

He goes into his house and Fluttershy comes over.

“What did he say?”

“He said he’s sorry.”

She’s looking at me with sad eyes and they were starting to tear up.

“Hey don’t cry he still said he liked you.”

“H-he did.”

“Yes, maybe he’s not ready for a relationship right now. Give him some time to take in the information then next time you tell him how you feel. Now lets go to the castle before it gets dark.”

“Ok.”

She takes us back to the castle. When we arrive Pinkie is waiting at the door. She notices that Fluttershys depressed and immediately tries to cheer her up. They leave and I’m left to wonder around the castle. This place is huge. After a while I end you getting lost, but conveniently I run into Celestia.

“Hello Dillon.”

“Hey Princess. Where are the others?”

“I sent them on errands for me so I could talk to you alone.”

“I can guess why. What would you like to know?”

Her horn starts to glow and she walks up to me.

“What are you doing?”

She puts her horn on my forehead and images start flashing before me. They were of my past everything that I saw and everything that I knew. She must be seeing this, but I have nothing to hide. It only took a few seconds before she pulls away.

“I’m sorry I had to do that.”

“It’s fine I know your just trying to uphold your duties as a princess.”

My stomach growls and I realize I haven’t eaten all day. Celestia smiles.

“Come I’m having a meal prepared for everyone.”

I follow her I into a large dining hall. Everyone was already there and waiting, but there are three new faces. Two of them look at me in shock while the other approaches me. It was a unicorn with a white coat and it has a mane with multiple shades of blue.

“Are you the one who protected my sister from the bandits on the train?”

“I did stop the bandits, but I don’t know who your sister is or you.

“My sister is Twilight Sparkle and I’m her older brother Shining Armor. I am captain of the guard and I thank you for protecting the other ponies as well.”

“Your welcome.”

One of the other ponies gathers their courage and came over. It was an alicorn with a pink coat and the mane had three different colors, which were yellow, pink, and purple. Shining smiles.

“This is my wife Cadence.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

I give a slight bow. Then I look to the other pony.

“Who’s that?”

Cadence tells me about her. Her name is Luna and she’s royalty as well. She is an alicorn and she has a dark blue coat. Her mane flowed like Celestia’s, but it looked like the night sky and now that she has no one to talk to she leaves. A little later ponies start coming in carry plates full of food and placing them on the long table. Everyone takes a spot around the table. I end up between Celestia and Sweetie. We start to help ourselves. For food meant for ponies it has to be some of the best I’ve ever had. Everyone is enjoying themselves and they were all talking about an upcoming Grand Galloping Gala. I had nothing to say about it because I have no idea what it was, but I prefer listening anyways.

Everyone has now finished their meals and they are now just talking. Someone moving caught my attention. It was a guard and he was creeping over to Celestia. It wouldn’t have been an issue normally, but using his magic he slowly lifted his spear. Really, again today someone tries to harm someone else. I can’t let Sweetie see what may happen. I take my phone out and toss it under the table.

“Oh crap. Excuse me Sweetie can you get my phone it seems that I dropped it under the table.”

She smiles.

“Ok.”

She goes under the table. I glance at the guard to see the spear being pulled back and he’s getting ready to throw it. What is Shining doing. I glance at him and he was busy staring lovingly into Cadences eyes. Looks like I’m doing this myself. When I thought he was going to throw it I dashed behind her. I caught the spear, but I grabbed it by the blade. Ignoring the pain I quickly stuck the other end between his legs. Before he could react I turn around and put all my strength into flinging him. He flew over Celestia and he hit the table. He bounced a few times then skidded to a stop in front of Shining. It caught him off guard and he was shocked to see one of his men lying in front of him. Everyone then turns their attention to me. I see Shining is now enraged.

“Why did you do this to my men!?”

“Why was he trying to attack the princess?”

He starts walking to me.

“He would never do such a thing!”

“Then explain this.”

I drop the spear and hold my hand up for everyone to see. Blood is steadily rolling down my arm then dripping onto the floor. He stops and stares at my wound.

“I’m smart enough not to grab the tip of a spear unless I didn’t have a choice.”

Sweetie comes out from under the table.

“I got it, but I think it’s broken.”

She looks up and sees my wound and her eyes grow wide. She drops my phone and runs to me.

“Brother!”

Shining now looks confused.

“Brother?”

Sweetie pulls a cloth napkin from the table. I sit down and I hold my hand out. She wraps it then I stand back up.

“Thanks sis.”

Shining has calmed down.

“Are you absolutely sure he tried to take her life.”

There was a quick green flash and everyone gasps. A bug like creature replaced the pony that was on the table. It looked like a pony, but it had holes in its legs and it had fangs. I go get a closer look. It was cut up from shattering and rolling on dishes. It bled bright green blood from its shell.

“What is this?”

Cadence goes over to Shining to be comforted.

“It’s called a changeling and those things almost ruined our wedding.”

Their names give away their ability to change into whatever creature they choose. That’s not good at all and it means anyone here could be one. I pick up the spear and go to Shining. I jabbed his leg with it. It put a small cut on his leg and he bled a little, but it wasn’t green so he’s safe.

“Ow! What are you doing?!”

“I’m checking everyone here and your safe.”

I hold out the spear and he takes it.

“You can check your wife.”

He understands the situation. He pricks her leg and she’s safe. I go to the table and pick up a knife. Shining and me go around the table checking everyone there. We’re all safe, but this is very bad there are probably more somewhere in the castle. Celestia starts directing us.

“Shining Armor, Cadence I want you to take everypony to the largest guest bedroom we have then get my sister and come to my room. We will check her when she arrives. Girls do not come out of the room until we get you. Dillon, come with me.”

“Alright. Shining the spear.”

He tosses it and I caught it with my injured hand. It hurts horribly, but I just grit my teeth. Then I look to the changeling that’s lying on the table.

“What to do with him.”

Shining’s horn glows then the changeling is incased in a bubble.

“That should hold him.”

Celestia turns and leaves at a brisk pace. I follow her and we quickly reach her room. We enter and surprisingly her room is quite small. There’s a bed, table, a fireplace, some writing utensils and that’s all. I put the spear on the table then I take the cloth off to examine my hand. The cuts are actually petty deep. Celestia comes over and looks at it as well.

“Here let me fix that.”

Her horn glows and a bright light covers my hand. When the light faded the pain subsided and the wound is now gone, but there is a scar left on my palm and fingers.

“Thanks.”

“Back there you handled that changeling quite well where did you learn to do that?”

“Hey you looked into my past you should know.”

“I didn’t see everything that spell sometimes skips parts.”

“Well my friend is very skilled in fighting and he’s much more dangerous than that changeling when he’s messing around. I hung around him so much I picked things up. I’m good at hand to hand combat and I can use multiple weapons, which are knives, swords, and staffs.”

“Interesting.”

There is a knock at the door and Luna enters.

“You wanted to talk to us sister?”

“Yes, but before that we need to check something.”

I pick up the spear and jabbed her leg. I got a glimpse to tell that she was safe before she threw me across the room. Celestia and Shining calm her down and explain the situation while Cadence helps me up.

“Are you alright?”

“I’ll be fine humans are made tough.”

We go and sit around the table. Shining starts the meeting.

“We know the predicament is that changelings have infiltrated Canterlot castle and we need a way to remove them. Any ideas?”

Luna has the first idea.

“Why don’t we put a shield around the castle?”

Shining shakes his head.

“That won’t work if they’re already inside plus it would cause the citizens to panic.”

I have an idea.

“What about setting up checkpoints?”

“Checkpoints?”

“Yea take your most trusted guards and have them checked. If their fine set them throughout the castle and anyone who wants to enter must be tested. Then if they pass they need to be told about it so they can start traveling in groups.”

“That works, but there’s one flaw. Citizen are allow to come to the castle to make requests to meet with Celestia.”

“Oh that’s simple say the castle is being remodeled and don’t let them in.”

“Ok this is probably the best plan of action. Does Everypony agree with this?

Everyone nods.

“Good we’ll start now. Dillon welcome to the royal guard, follow me.”

“Yes sir.”

We leave the room and we go down to the barracks. He barges in and he literally drags four of his men out of bed. He checks them and they’re safe. He then assigns us to our spots. I have the main entrance while he has the barracks and two of them go to question the captured changeling. The other two are placed on patrol. I go to my post and I stand by the doors all night long. In that time I only check two ponies and they were both fine.

Shining relived me of my duty early in the morning. He got information back from the questioned changeling. They gave him a truth potion so they know he’s not lying, but he revealed more than they expected. He was the only one to plan the attack, but he’s not the only changeling in Canterlot. I end up being pulled into another meeting in Celestia’s room.
Shining was furious at the news and wanted to remove them completely. I disagree with him because they have done nothing wrong, but I really didn’t know why they even despise them so much.

“What is wrong with them living in Canterlot if they’re not a threat?”

“They just attacked Celestia a second time, they came close to ruining my wedding, and those things feed off our love!”

“The changelings that live here may have started families here and your trying to kick them out. It would be cruel and what if the ponies around them love those changelings. Known or unknown they aren’t taking it by force are they? Also it was only one changeling who attack the princess and only he should pay the price not the entire changeling race.”

“They have launched a full scale attack on us in the past.”

“Did you make peace with them afterwards?”

“No we didn’t.”

“The changeling that attacked held a grudge and the ones that live here want to live happy lives, so leave them alone.”

Celestia listened to our argument and she seems to have come to a decision.

“Shining I’m sorry to say, but Dillon’s right. The only ones who are guilty is the queen and her followers.”

“We still need to find them though.”

“I will give you permission to find the other changelings as long as you don’t harm them or let the news becomes public.”

“How am I supposed to look without it becoming public?”

I grin. It’s amusing how he can’t think straight when he’s mad.

“Tell them a new disease has been discovered then go house to house checking ponies. If you find a changeling tell them you know what they are and reassure them that they can continue to live here in peace.”

He nods.

“Will you help me with this?”

“Sorry Shining I’m only here because Celestia wanted to meet me, but when you’re done I would like a percentage of how many changelings live here sent to me.”

“Why?”

“If there are enough living here they can be used to make peace with their empire. I know you don’t like them, but you need to get along with them so no more attacks are made. Now if you will excuse me I have a train to catch back to Ponyville.”

I get up and leave then head to the entrance where the girls meet me. We exchange greetings before heading to the train station. On the way Sweetie gives me my phone and I find that the screen was cracked, but what was I going to use my phone for here anyway. We get onto the same train we came here on. The only reason I know this is because I found the horn that I broke off that one pony slightly hidden under the seat. I decided to keep it, so I put it in my pocket then we take our seats in the back. I was going to sleep, but Twilight had a question for me.

“Do humans use magic where you come from?”

“No, we have these instead.”

I hold up my hand.

“I was just wondering because you seemed to know what it was when you came to me.”

“It’s not real in my world, but we know what it is because it’s written in stories.”

“Your not in your world anymore maybe you could use it here.”

“I’ll give it a try then I’m going to take a nap, so what spell should I try?”

“Telekinesis is a good spell to try. All you have to do is focus on something then concentrate on moving it.”

“Ok.”

What can I try this on? I see Sweetie playing with her ball. That will work. I start to focus on the ball and I concentrate on moving it up. I notice a faint glow in my pocket before the ball starts to levitate.

“Oh wow you did it.”

“Yeah cool.”

It’s amazing, but I’m too tired to really care right now. I drop the ball than I look out the window and after a few minutes I nod off. Later I awaken because Sweetie was pulling on my shirt.

“It’s time to go big brother.”

We leave the station and say our goodbyes. Fluttershy and me head to her house and when we got there I went straight back to bed. I lay there thinking that now I can use magic how will I get home. Is there even a spell that can send me home? I know there is a spell to bring people here. I would still have to find it, but I would use it as a last resort.

Also this stuff with the changelings. I’m going to have to help them so no one will get hurt or killed. This will surly become a pain later on, but I’m going to help anyway. I yawn. That’s enough thinking for now. I roll over then fall asleep.