• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 3,541 Views, 123 Comments

Rune Cascade - Valtyra



Frederick, a young inventor fails at his latest experiment. Ending up in Equestria, he has to deal with life as it comes.

  • ...
20
 123
 3,541

Chapter 15

Frederick paced around his room. Twilight was acting strange and not answering her door when he tried to knock. “Did I do something?” He asked himself, tapping his foot on the floor. He looked outside and saw it was getting near midday. Picking up his jacket, he stepped out of his room and across the hall, stopping outside Twilight’s for one last go at talking to her.

Tapping on the wood, he waited a few seconds for any sign of movement, then said, “Twilight, I’m going to go out to pick Spike up. I’ll buy some food on the way back, send Spike a letter if you are feeling better.” He hesitated but ultimately turned and descended the stairs, looking back once he made it to the ground floor.

Sighing, Frederick walked over to the door and left the library, locking it afterwards. He didn’t know what to do, but knew that doing nothing would hurt her in the long run.

Walking through town, he noticed it was slightly colder than usual and buttoned up his jacket. He passed the shops, ponies waving to him as he passed by. “Almost like I’ve always lived here,” he mumbled.

Rarity’s boutique came into view and he picked up his pacing. Quickly, he made it to the door and knocked, opening it. “Rarity, just me!” He announced, cleaning his shoes on the mat and closing the door.

Rarity strolled down the stairs, “Oh hello dear, come to pick up Spike?”

“Yeah, I was thinking of spending some time with him today. It’s been a while since I’ve spent some time with a guy.”

“Don’t tell me you’re unhappy with our company?” Rarity asked, faking annoyance.

“Oh no,” he laughed. “I just need a change, that’s all. Besides, I’ve really only spent a lot of time with Twilight,” he shrugged, “maybe I could hang out with you. How about tomorrow?”

“I think that would be splendid!” Rarity nodded, smiling. “I should be done dealing with angry nobbled by then and I can get a well-deserved rest.”

“Hey Rare, where do you want this fabric?” Spike asked, walking into the room.

“Oh, not now Spike,” Rarity whispered, levitating the roll of fabric away into the other room. “Frederick is here.”

Spike looked over, “What’s up Frederick, how are you feeling?” The drake asked, walking over.

“I’ve been better. Still, It’s good to be home,” he replied. “I’ve come to pick you up, Twilight is at the library.”

“Awl, but I was helping Rarity...” Spike whined.

“Really, Twilight was hurt, badly,” Frederick said, looking down.

“Alright... sorry.”

“Good, is there anything you need to bring?”

“No,” Spike returned to Rarity and hugged her, “thank you for taking me in.”

“Think nothing of it Spikey, I couldn’t let you stay alone.” Rarity replied, humbly.

“Thanks again Rare,” Frederick said, opening the door. Spike ran out, followed by Frederick, “don’t forget about tomorrow.”

“Bye!” Rarity shouted as the door shut.

___

The pair walked away from the boutique and down towards Ponyville, Frederick lifted Spike up and onto his shoulder.

“So, how is Twilight?” Spike asked, concerned. He moved around, getting comfortable on Frederick’s shoulder.

“Easy up there, you’re not small,” he chuckled. “Twilight is... okay now. She was a bit strange this morning, but made a fast recovery.”

“Good, I don’t know what I’d do without her.”

“Yeah,” Frederick said, sighing. He knew he would have to tell Spike about getting together with Twilight, but he felt nervous; he wasn’t sure how Spike would take the news.

“Hey Spike, how about we grab some shakes,” Frederick suggested, changing his path towards Sugarcube corner.

“Cool,” Spike replied.

Frederick pushed open the door to Sugarcube corner with his magic and walked in. He saw Pinkie Pie taking an order across the room and sat down on one of the tables next to the window, Spike sitting opposite to him.

A few minutes later, Pinkie hopped over and hugged Frederick, “It’s so good to see you, how are you?”

He laughed, “Hi Pinkie, I’m feeling alright.” Frederick was released from the Pink demon’s grip, “I see you’re in a good mood.”

“Silly, I’m always in a good mood. Now, what can I get you?”

“Can I get a strawberry shake please,” Frederick asked. He looked at Spike, “Spike?”

“Oh, can I get a chocolate one please, with gem dust on top.”

“Sure, I’ll get them for you now.” Pinkie said, hopping away.

“So, how was Rarities?” Frederick asked. “Do anything fun?”

“Heck yes,” Spike beamed, “Sweetie is really fun to play with.”

“Sweetie?” Frederick said, confused, and “is that Rarity’s sister?”

“Yup, she knows the best games, for a girl...” Spike continued, “I didn’t think I would enjoy it, but I did.”

“That’s good,” Frederick hesitated, “Hey Spike, I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?” Spike’s thoughts turned to fear “Did somepony steal my gems?”

“What, no!” Frederick groaned, “Nobody stole your gems. It’s about Twilight and I.”

“Oh good, what about you two?”

“We are... together,” Frederick gave a sheepish smile, unsure how this will play out.

“Of course you are, you live with her...” Spike replied, tilting his head.

“I mean, we are dating.”

“Oh,” Spike said, finally understanding. “How long?”

Frederick was surprised, there was no anger, no confusion and defiantly no fire. “Little under a week. Are you okay with this, you can say, I don’t be angry.”

“I’m just happy she’s found somepony, at least it’s you and not some rich foal from Canterlot.” Spike admitted, a small smile on his face, “Just don’t hurt her, alright.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”

Pinkie trotted over and placed the shakes in front of them. “On the house, it’s the least I can do for you looking after my sister.”

“Sister?” Frederick replied.

“Twilight, we’re her family remember,” she giggled, hopping away.

___

Princess Celestia sat on her throne reading a series of letter from her private advisors, “Rubbish, apologising to Blueblood; who do they think I am?”

“Princess, we have a situation!” A guard shouted up to her. He was out of breath and had scratches and dent marks over his armour.

“What happened?!” Celestia asked, gliding down, she landed in front of the pony and helped him steady. She looked him over and finding no wounds on his body stepped back.

“There’s somepony in the Element vault, he broke the spell in seconds,” the guard choked out, still catching his breath.

“Alright, go to the infirmary, I’ll deal with the intruder.” Celestia ordered, “Guards, with me!”

“Yes Princess!” The guards in the room shouted, marching over to her.

She made her way to the Elements vault, picking up some more guards, “better to be safe than sorry, especially after chrysalis...” she thought to herself as she turned the corner.

She pushed aside the wreck that was once the solid oak doors and walked in. On the other side of the room stood the intruder, facing away from the entrance.

He took a step forwards as his ear swirled around, hearing Celestia enter. “How nice of you to join me, But I’m afraid I have to take my leave. I so would have liked to chat about recent decisions.”

The intruder turns around, his body covered in a thick cloak, hiding his coat and mane from view. On his face, he wore a blank mask and it was obvious to any pony that heard him, that his voice was magically altered.

“Who are you!?” Celestia shouted as the stallion summoned up a portal on a nearby wall. She stared at it in shock; it had been forever since she had seen magic like that. It’s black border threatening to swallow the wall around it.

“Now now, Celestia. That would spoil the ending, we can’t have that, can we?” He mused, walking over to the portal, “I’ll play a little game with you, and see if you can figure this riddle out before I make my next move!” He shouted.

“His family melted under your rule, you will feel the chill of death.

Only so long can your sun keep the darkness at bay, in time even light can be turned.”

The stallion laughed, “I bid you a nice and warm evening Celestia, it’s about to be the last one for a long time!” He jumped into the portal, sealing it off behind him.

Celestia ran over and felt the wall, “Cold as ice...” she mumbled, as she turned to her guards, “why didn’t you do something!” She shouted, causing them to back away slowly.

“I don’t know Princess, I felt scared...” One of the guards said, with other agreeing.

“Very well,” Celestia said rubbing the side of her head, “I want my city searched, I want the elements back,” she ordered, “and get me some coffee.”

She walked out of the room and made her way to her private chambers. Opening the door, she jumped slightly at the sight of Luna resting on her bed.

“Dear sister, how nice of you to join us.” Luna sang. “How was day court?”

“The elements were stolen,” Celestia said, walking over to her desk, levitating the cup of coffee with her.

“Wait, seriously?” Luna asked, rising from the bed and walking over.

“Yeah.” Celestia took a sip, “seems as if we have somepony that wants to play a game with me.”

“You mean us?”

“I don’t think so, he didn’t mention you and seemed to know something about recent events; it makes me think Blueblood, but he was never like this and I know Shining Armour wouldn’t do this, especially with Cadence with him.”

“Do you want me to question Blueblood?” Luna asked, “I can make him talk.” She said, with a small grin.

“Lulu, please. This isn’t the dark ages anymore, that’s been banned for hundreds of years... besides we have more efficient methods.” Celestia laughed.

Luna shook her head, “Alright, I get it. I’m old fashioned,” she pouted.

“Come on, it’s not old fashioned. We saved that for the worst criminals, remember.”

“Yeah.” Luna held Celestia’s hoof, “I was thinking, before the theft, that we could try that thing today?”

“Today, isn’t it a bit fast?” Celestia asked.

“Maybe, but you said it yourself, you are feeling maternal already. Besides Mother was always telling us to embrace it once it happens.” Luna leaned forwards and kissed Celestia, “maybe we should embrace it.”

___

Twilight pulled the covers of herself, feeling relief from the heat of the bed. She turned over and stared at the door; on one hoof she missed Frederick and he had only been gone for an hour or two, on the other, she felt dirty for liking a different species.

Of course, none of it even mattered before that dream, heck it didn’t matter that much after her mother kicked her in heart. But now, she was beginning to have doubts.

It was the first time she had a dream like that. Twilight was still a virgin, mainly due to her love of books and the surprising lack of stallions around Ponyville. Not that it bothered her before, but now, all these strange feelings were occurring.

Needing to take her mind off them, she rose out of bed. She felt her horn ache and sighed, she would need Frederick to help her; hooves just don’t spread cream right.

Twilight really didn’t want that to happen, she wasn’t sure how she would react to him touching her in that place.

She knew this was wrong, she liked Frederick but couldn’t shake the feeling that she wasn’t supposed to. Society would frown upon it, say she’s dirty and unworthy of being a pony. Frederick would stand against it, stand up for her; but in the end Twilight didn’t know if she could handle it herself.

Pulling her door open, she walked slowly out, listening for any pony, specifically Frederick. When it was clear no pony was in the library she trotted downstairs and into the kitchen grabbing an apple.

Taking it back upstairs, she stumbled a little as her horn flared up in pain, “I should have applied it yesterday...” she muttered, wincing from the pain.

The sound of the front door being unlocked made her jump. Her heartbeat increasing with the need to see her colt friend, but also with the same need to avoid him and it was tearing her apart.

“Alright Spike I’ll make your dinner with crushed imp gem dust.” Frederick groaned, “Though I don’t know how you can chew them, they are gems.”

“Because of these bad boys,” Spike said, tapping his razor sharp teeth.

“Wow, never bite me.” Frederick ordered.

“Don’t worry, I won’t; unless you make, me, mad!” Spike shouted, chasing Frederick around the room.

Laughing, Frederick picked up Spike in his magic, “Go upstairs and see Twilight, I’m sure she’ll want to see you.” He placed Spike down and watched as he scampered up the stairs.

A knock on the door sounded out and Frederick walked over, pulling it open. “Oh, hey smart.”

“Don’t "oh hey smart" me, where have you been!?” She shouted, pushing Frederick back into the library with a hoof.

“Calm down, I can explain,” Frederick assured her. She stood there waiting for an explanation, “Come sit down, it’s a long story.”

The pair walked over to the couch and sat down. Frederick explained everything that happened in Canterlot and that they had just arrived back.

Throughout the story, Smart Glass’s expression changed from angry to sad. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“I know, it’s alright. We just want to put it behind us.”

“I understand, come and find me when you’ve settled back in. We can start when you’re ready.” Smart got up and walked to the door, “tell Twilight I hope she gets better, a cracked horn is horrible.”

“I will, thanks.” Frederick watched Smart leave the library. He locked the door using his magic and got up. He climbed the stairs and walked over to Twilight’s door. He could hear Spike and Twilight talking and he smiled. “At least she’s talking to someone...”

His smile dropped as he made his way into his room and closed the door. Taking his shoes and jacket off he undid the top few buttons of his shirt and laid down on the bed.

He tried to relax, but his thoughts kept returning to Twilight in the next room. “What did I do wrong...” he muttered, rolling off the bed.

An idea sprung into his head, “Maybe I could learn some magic, it could help...” he mumbled, walking out of the room.

Frederick walked back down stairs and into the kitchen. He proceeded to make a cup of tea and levitated it out with him and walked into the library proper. Strolling through the isles, he found the magic themed section and picked out a couple of books that looked interesting.

Sitting down at the table, he flipped the first, "Shields and you: a reference guide", open to the contents page.

Scanning the page, he found a section on personal defence and went to the page.

On the page were lots of formulae, some of which he could read and understand and some Frederick had no idea about. “This is nothing like Alaria’s magic...” he cringed, reading a rather complex formula.

Deciding it was best to try the simple ones first, he memorized one of the smaller formulae and charged up his magic. Standing up, he walked to the centre of the room and cast it out, willing his magic into a hexagonal shield in front of him.

It only lasted a split second before it exploded, knocking him backwards onto the sofa, “Wow, that was intense,” he laughed. Getting back up he felt his hand glow slightly, but not in pain. Instead it was like the glorious ache after exercise.

Steeling his nerves, he cast it again. It lasted for a little longer before dissipating into the air. Now his excitement really took off; sure it was only one hexagonal shape, that wouldn’t stay materialised but he knew it was only the start.

Frederick spent the next couple of hours training his magic until his hand cramped up, then went upstairs carrying the books.

He placed them on the chair in his room and went over to Twilight’s door. Frederick knocked and waited, hoping in vain that Twilight would answer.

Spike had gone out while he was training and had said relatively little in regards to what happened to Twilight.

Frederick heard the lock on her room unlatch and heard Twilight move away from the door. He opened it slowly, not wanting to ruin his chances of seeing her for the first time today.

He peeked his head around the door and saw her sitting on the edge of her bed, the covers thrown onto the floor. She was staring at the floor, where a puddle of tears lay.

Feeling his heart sink at the sight, he moved in and closed the door. “Hey Twi,” he said, moving a little closer, “how are you feeling?”

Twilight sniffed and wiped her eyes with a hoof, “I’m sorry,” she whispered.

“What for? You didn’t do anything.”

“For shutting you out, you are the best thing to happen to me and I treat you like this.” She looked up at Frederick, tears lining her face.

“Oh Twilight,” Frederick said, going over and hugging her. She wrapped her hooved back around and gripped as if he would vanish if she let go even a tiny amount; it showed she really cared, and to Frederick it meant the world.

Twilight pulled back, “I freaked out, there’s so many ponies that will hate us for being together... I couldn’t handle it,” Twilight whispered as a lump formed in her throat.

“Who cares, let them,” Frederick replied defiantly, “if they want to hate us, they will have to go through me first.”

Twilight smiled, she knew he would be like this and felt safer for it; he wouldn’t let her get hurt, not again.

“I’m guessing you’re hungry, I’ll make some dinner and then we can apply your cream, we missed yesterdays.”

Twilight blushed and looked away, “Sure... I’d like that.”

Author's Note:

Oh no, more of the mysterios pony. His antics are getting worse.

His will he be stopped!