• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 3,526 Views, 123 Comments

Rune Cascade - Valtyra



Frederick, a young inventor fails at his latest experiment. Ending up in Equestria, he has to deal with life as it comes.

  • ...
20
 123
 3,526

Chapter 4

Frederick walked alongside Twilight as they made it to Ponyville proper. It was early in the morning and it seemed like it would be a cold day. Frederick tightened his sheet around him and moved closer to Twilight.

Twilight turned back to Frederick and mumbled, “Maybe I should take him to Rarities first?” She turned back and grinned with the prospect of being able to show someone not of this world all of the knowledge kept in her library. “Ah, here we are.”

The two walked up to the library and Twilight pushed the door open with her magic.

“You live in a library?” Frederick asked, looking about.

“Something wrong with that?”

“Oh no, nothing at all. In fact, it looks quite cosy in here.”

Twilight smiled, it wasn’t everyday somepony calls her library "cosy", or anything really. “Well, it’s nice you think that. Let me show you to your room.”

She trotted up some stairs and around the banister, opening one of the doors. Inside, she clicked the light and moved aside so Frederick could enter.

He looked around, “It’s small...”

“Yeah, sorry. We don’t have the need for ponies to sleep here. It was a storage closet beforehand...” Twilight replied, looking up with an apologetic expression.

“I’m fine with it. Somewhere to sleep, I suppose.” Frederick walked in and sat on the bed. Bouncing a few times, he was genuinely surprised at how comfortable it was.

“We’ll have to go and see Rarity, she’s been dying to make you something to wear,” Twilight laughed and walked out of Frederick’s room, leaving him frowning at the thought of being fitted. “Come on!” Twilight shouted from below.

Frederick got up and readjusted his sheet, then walked down stairs and out of the library. They walked down the main road with every pony’s eyes staring daggers into Frederick’s soul. “Can we hurry up, everyone is looking at me weird.”

“They just take some time to get used to you, they acted like this when Zecora came to town.” Twilight explained, not making Frederick feel any less uncomfortable.

Frederick didn’t know who this "Zecora" was, but he hoped that she was welcome now. “Nevertheless, can we hurry up?”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Fine, Rarity will be pleased we made it so early anyway.”

Picking up the pace, they made it to Rarities in record time and Twilight knocked on the door. After a few minutes, a rather flustered Rarity answered the door, “Yes, what is,” she snapped, before stopping to gather her composure, “Twilight, how are you, and our guest, how delightful. Please, come in!”

Twilight and Frederick followed Rarity into the main area and waited for her to finish whatever she was working on in the other room. Frederick looked the place over and raised an eyebrow at how organised the room was.

“Is everything of hers so tidy?”

“Oh yes, very much so. She simply cannot, not clean.” Twilight replied, in a fake preach accent.

Frederick let out a half-hearted chuckle, “What’s taking her?”

“Patience, please...” Twi scolded, giving Frederick a harsh look, “she’s doing this out of her own money and generosity, the least you could do is be thankful.”

“Sure.”

Twi and Frederick stopped talking as soon as they heard hoof steps approach from behind, “Alright dear, please step inside and onto the small podium I’ve set up.” Rarity waved them in and together they walked through the arch and into the proper shop.

Displays were lined up along the walls, no doubt to wow and impress whoever came in; this time though, it didn’t particularly work as Frederick wasn’t much for fashion, at least he wasn’t after that incident in the noble district.

Shivering at the memory, he stepped up and shook his head. The girls stood there looking up at him before coughing slightly. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“You will have to take the sheet off for a proper measurement...” Rarity replied, with slightly rosy cheeks.

“Y-yeah...” Twilight added, meekly from behind.

Frederick rolled his eyes and unstrapped the sheet from his body, letting it hit the ground with a soft -poof-

The girl’s eyes widened, then looked to each other. Frederick could swear he saw Rarity mouth "wow", or something along those lines; if he did, he didn’t let them catch on.

“How long is this going to take?” He asked, getting annoyed at having to stand on a podium, in front of two ponies, naked.

“Not long dear, now stand still and please try not to wiggle...” Rarity asked, barely suppressing a grin as she neared Frederick with the measuring tape; a glint in her eye.
___

“See, it didn’t take too long.” Twilight said, walking besides Frederick down the path towards Sugarcube corner. It was nearing midday and the two of them were becoming a slight peckish.

“When you said she’s doing out of generosity, I didn’t think she’d do that...”

“I guess it was a bit much, but that’s Rarity for you; she always puts in 100 per cent, no matter what.” Twilight replied, laughing.

“What are we doing outside this gingerbread house?” Frederick asked, looking it over. It looked like the whole thing was baked, rather than built and anyone living in it would have to be crazy. “It’s not another friend is it?!”

Twilight looked up fast with mock hurt, “What do you mean, another friend? Can’t you handle them?”

“Oh, I can handle them. But only when they are not trying to stick things in me... or shouting at me.” Frederick calmed himself, he was getting working up over Rainbow Dash.

“She said she was sorry...” Twi consoled him, “let’s go in and eat, it’s getting cold now. My treat?”

“If you insist.”

The two walked into Sugarcube corner and sat down at one of the many tables seated around the restaurant. Frederick looked around, but wherever his eyes landed, there seemed to be a pony looking at him weirdly, or glaring.

“Don’t worry about them,” Twilight whispered, “they will get used to you. Ponyville is a small community, gossip spreads faster than cutie pox...”

“Cutie pox?”

“I’ll tell you about it later. Oh here’s Pinkie.”

Pinkie Pie hopped over to their table, her big poufy hair flying every which way, but she didn’t really seem to mind, “what can I get for you two?” She asked, with a magic grin that threatened to give one to Frederick.

Twilight looked over the menu for a few seconds, “Can I get the hay fries and shake please.”

“Okey-dokie-lokie, for you Frederick?” She turned to face the human.

He looked down and read some of the menu, “I... uh... what do you recommend?” He asked, dumbfounded at the amount of pony foods.

“Well, I’d recommend the spaghetti. I know that Twilight isn’t a big fan of it, but maybe you would enjoy it...” Pinkie replied, “Do you have spaghetti on your world?”

Frederick looked down for a second, before looking up into Pinkies eyes, “Yeah, we do. It’s good.” He explained, wearing an almost fake smile.

“Oh goodie, I’ll be right back with your two orders, don’t go anywhere~” Pinkie called out, as she walked out of the room, keeping her eyes on Twilight for a split second longer than usual; though no one noticed.

“So, what’s up with her?” Frederick asked, getting comfortable on his seat, which was starting of wear on him.

“What do you mean?” Twilight replied, levitating a pillow over from an empty chair and passing it to him.

“Thank you.” Frederick took another look around to see that most of the patrons have either left or have turned their attention to their own food, “and you know what I mean.”

Twilight sighed and rubbed some hair out of her face, “I think I do. Don’t get me wrong, I love all my friends, but something about Pinkie Pie is different... I can’t explain it and it just drives me crazy sometimes.”

“I see. I get that sometimes when I work on a project... sometime we could look into it sometime, if you’re interested?”

Twilight looked up to the human, eyes sparkling with interest, “Oh yes, I’d love to; if you’re sure, of course.” She shouted out enthusiastically, unaware of the other guests looking at them.

“Uh, Twilight... you may want to settle down. People are looking...”

“Oh, sorry,” she responded, settling back in her seat with a sheepish smile.

Pinkie walked out of the divider and into the restaurant area, on her back rested two plates, one of hay fries and one full of pasta and sauce. “Here we go!” She said, bucking the plates into the air and onto the table with pinpoint precision.

Frederick watched as Pinkie grinned and turned away, shaking her head back and forth to some music only she could hear.

Shaking his head, Frederick turned away and looked towards Twilight, who was currently pre-occupied with pulling apart some fries that were stubbornly refusing to yield their tasty goodness. She grunted with exertion and the fry snapped; sending a piece over onto another table, surprising an elderly couple more than it should have.

Twilight’s face collared red and she turned away, hoping that they wouldn’t know it was her; unfortunately, they did and started to walk over. “I take it this is yours?” The elderly gentle colt asked, a bit miffed off.

“Actually, that’s mine.” Frederick replied, confusing Twilight for a second, “I’m terribly dreadful with these, they can never sit right in my hands...”

The gentle colt looked Frederick over with a scrutinizing look, “I must say, don’t make a habit of it.”

“Of course, sir.”

After the pony had walked away and sat down, shaking his head at the uncouth behaviour, Frederick turned to Twilight, “Shall we start?” He asked. Twilight nodded with a smile and dug in.

After they had finished their meal and paid, Twilight led Frederick outside and towards the edge of the Everfree; towards Fluttershy house. “Ok Frederick, keep calm and don’t make any sudden movements.”

“Why?”

“Well, her name gives it away; Fluttershy. She’s not exactly the most outgoing pony.” Twilight replied, rolling her eyes, “Either way, she’s the kindest pony I know.”

“Not that I don’t enjoy being cold, not wearing any clothes, etcetera. I don’t see the point of meeting your friends.” Frederick admitted, “They are your friends for a reason, they like you, they don’t even know me.”

“But they will if you let them, please. It’ll be hard enough to live here, you will need some friends, even if we are not human.”

Frederick stopped to think about this for a few seconds. On one hand she was right, he would need support, but on the other hand, he’s the only one here and nothing can change that. He nodded, “Alright, I can try. I won’t promise anything... I have something’s I need to do before I can let you all in.”

Twilight’s frown turned around and soon she had a grin on her face, “I knew you would, but don’t worry. We’ll all be here for you, no matter what you need.” She place a hoof on his knee, recoiling at how cold he seemed, “Are you alright, you are freezing.”

“I feel fine. Am I really that cold?” Frederick asked, reaching down and feeling where Twilight touched. It didn’t seem any colder than usual; sure it was a bit nippy, but nothing quite as bad as she said.

“We can hurry to Fluttershy, she’ll have some tea that we can drink to warm you up.”

The two walked up to the front door of Fluttershy cottage and Twilight knocked with her magic. They waited a few seconds; no response. Twilight tried tapping again, but was stopped by Frederick who pointed towards the nearby window.

Twilight looked over and before she knew it, the curtain closed itself; a pink tail waving past the glass. “Fluttershy, please. I... we know you’re in there. Frederick wants to talk!”

A few minutes passed by with the duo losing hope that the shy Pegasus would face her fears and open the door. But thankfully, she came to her senses and the front door inched open at a frustrating pace.

“Twilight...” Fluttershy whispered, before looking up at Frederick, which at that exact time was framed by the sun, casting an ominous shadow around him, “Eep!” She squealed, throwing her legs over her face.

Twilight huffed and levitated the quivering bundle of nerves into her own house, placing her on the couch. Frederick walked in, scraped the bottom of his feet to the best of his ability and sat down next to Fluttershy. He sat down softly, so not to alert the Pegasus as much as needed.

Slowly, Fluttershy took her legs away to find that Twilight was making some tea in the kitchen; Fluttershy was alone in the living room with Frederick and this terrified her. What if he became angry again, or hurt her... oh the many things he could do.

“Fluttershy?” Frederick whispered, causing the poor Pegasus pony to freeze. He shook his hair out of his face, pulling it back behind his ears. “I guess you’re a little scared of me at the moment. But I want to say, I’m not dangerous, really.” He chuckled, “I had a bad episode in the hospital, but I hope in time, I can come to accept it.” He looked over to Fluttershy to see her staring at him, “Please, can we start over?” He placed his hand out, palm up and waited.

Fluttershy looked between his face and hand, expecting some sort of anger at her taking too long to respond, but nothing seemed to materialise; if there was anything, she knew it was just her imagination. All Fluttershy saw was guilt and regret, and this made her hurt. “Of course, I would like that,” She replied, grasping Frederick’s hand with her own hoof tightly.

Twilight walked out of the room with a tray of cups levitated in her magic. Slowly, she moved them over to the table, but accidentally knocked a small vase from the side.

Frederick quickly reached out on his magic and plucked it from the air, slowing its descent and laying it back on the table, much to the amazement of the ponies staring at him.

“Oh my...” Fluttershy muttered first, “Luna didn’t say you could do magic.” She was starting to come out of her shell at this latest revelation.

“No she didn’t...” Twilight whispered, “What else can you do, Frederick?” She asked, a familiar glint in her eye; the same as the one Rarity had.

“Uh, not much, just levitation. I didn’t really look into my powers that often, they feel weird and numb half of the time.” He explained, much to the disappointment of Twilight. Then In a split second, her demeanour flipped.

“Do you know what this means!?”

“No, should I?”

“You can teach me and I can teach you!” She shouted out while jumping about the room.

Frederick groaned and laid back on the couch, “Why couldn’t I have stayed in...”