• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 3,989 Views, 73 Comments

Rule of Thumb - ShortHopLaszer



A monstrosity attacks Ponyville. Common sense dictates that they should proceed towards unknown situations logically, with caution, and with open-mindedness. However doing so may be a fatal mistake. It is a human after all.

  • ...
17
 73
 3,989

Children at Play

A gray stallion leaned against the counter, his hooves crossed across his chest. "And then when I turned around, my shipment was missing! A few weeks worth of ink, gone in a blink of an eye."

The brown shopkeeper nodded his head. "That is peculiar my friend. What would anyone want with that much parchment ink?"

"I don't really care. I just want to get compensated for my losses. I mean now we're behind and need to dip into our savings to cover costs."

"That's rough. I know what you're feeling. I don't have the largest customer pool either."

"Well that's what you get for running a mismatch item shop."

The brown shopkeeper snorted "I have a wide variety of miscellaneous things. You'd be surprised how often ponies find what they're looking for."

"Yeah yeah, I've heard this speal. What time are you going on lunch?"

"It'll be a few minutes."

The bell on the front door rang, as three small fillies approached the counter. The gray stallion rolled his eyes at the shopkeeper. "I'll talk to you in a few minutes." He then strolled out of the store.

Scootaloo looked around at the wide assortment of merchandise before pointing a hoof a medium sized burlap sack. "We want that one!" She struggled to reach the top of the counter as she placed a pouch of money on it.

The shopkeeper raised an eyebrow, before checking the money. "I'm sorry girls, but you are a bit off."

Scootaloo turned to Applebloom "Hey Applebloom! Can I borrow a bit?"

Applebloom looked confused "What? We need more than a bit."

"We're just a bit off, just lend me a bit and I'll pay you back next week."

"No, he means a bit as in a little bit. We need more than a single bit to buy that."

Scootaloo scoffed at the yellow filly "If we were off a small amount off then he would say that. A bit is a single coin in this currency."

Sweetie Belle looked at the money, then back at the item in question "Um, I think we're going to need more money."

Applebloom sighed, completely ignoring Sweetie Belle "You don't understand! A bit can also refer to a small amount. That means we're going to need like seven bits."

The brown stallion cleared his throat "Actually you're more than a bit off-"

The orange filly shook her head "How do you know this isn't a special deal or something? We could get it on discount!"

"If there was a special deal then there would be signs everywhere. There's always signs when stores have specials."

Sweetie Belle poked the farm filly "Actually in some of the shops my sister goes to, you have to ask specifically about certain deals. You only get them if you're popular enough to be in the know."

The little pegasus motioned towards the stallion behind the counter "See? We probably just have a deal or something."

The stallion raised a hoof "I'm sorry bu-"

"Do you know any deals at this place Scootaloo? Because ah don't."

"You're just not popular enough to know about them."

"AH'M just as popular as you!"

"ARE NOT!"

"ARE TOO!"

The brown stallion looked outside to see his friend looking at him questioningly. He quickly glanced at the clock and then back to the three arguing fillies. A few ponies walked by the shop and one pony noticed the three girls standing there.

"ARE NOT!"

"ARE TO-"

The stallion slammed the bag on the counter. "Here! Just take it! It's complimentary!"

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow "But we didn't buy anything?"

"It's fine! It's on the house! Now be good fillies and run along now!" The stallion pushed the money back towards them. "Come back another day with your parents!"

Applebloom smiled as she took the bag. "Thanks Mister!"

The three little girls giggle as they walk out of the store.

The bell rang as the gray stallion re-entered the small shop. "Those fillies are nothing but trouble."

The shopkeeper sighed "I didn't think they would ever leave."

"Well at least their gone now. Let's go get lunch."

"Uh huh." The stallion picks up a lunch bag from behind the counter. " You know what I can't figure out though?"

"What's that?"

"What the hay do they need fifty feet of PVC piping for?"

=====================================================================================

The Crusaders sat on a lonely bench in the park. Sweetie Belle looked down at a small sheet of paper "Fifty feet of PVC?"

Applebloom gazed at the sky as she consulted her mental list. "Check."

"Binoculars?"

"Check."

"Stylish red bandanas?"

"Check."

"Oversized Megaphone?"

"Check."

"Long stick?"

"Check."

"Granny Smith's record player?"

"Check."

"One pound of Caramel Balls?" Sweetie Belle scrunched her face. "I don't remember needing Caramel Balls."

Both Sweetie and Applebloom looked over at Scootaloo. She was currently in her own world, chewing on a ball in question.

"Right... Well we've got everything!" The white filly tossed the paper. "Guess it's time to get started!"


=====================================================================================

Pinkie Pie merrily trotted down the street. She was done working for the day and decided to take a tour of the town.

She walked past her favorite perfume shop and smelled the newest scents.

She found some random ponies and exchanged funny stories.

She had lunch with a very happy mother whose son just got an A in math class.

One could say Pinkie was having a pretty good day.

WOW! That was fun! I wonder what else I can do today.

The pink pony trotted down the street, eagerly taking in the sights. Upon passing an alley she heard the rustle of a trash can. PUPPIES? Her eyes lit up and she peeked into the alley.

The alley was well shaded, and various forms of garbage were sprawled across the stones and dirt. In the shadows, a small figure flinched as it noticed Pinkie's gaze.

"Hi Applebloom! Whatcha doing in this dirty alley?"

Applebloom pawed the ground a few times. "Oh, uh. Hey Pinkie Pie. I'm um, just playing."

"Why are you playing in an alley?"

"Oh, well me and the Crusaders.. are... Playing hide and seek! Yeah!"

"Ooooh! That sounds fun! Can I play too!" Pinkie bounced in placed.

"UH, sorry Pinkie, but we have enough players right now. I'll tell you next time we play."

"Aw, ok. Be careful though! You never know what kind of conniving creatures hang out in alleys!"

"Err, right. I'll keep that in mind. Have a nice day!"

"Okie dokey!" The pink pony bounced away.

"Phew!" Applebloom wiped a bead of sweat off of her forehead. She turned to face the other crusaders who were hiding behind the dumpster. "That was close."

Both girls nodded their heads.

Scootaloo picked up a piece of pipe from the floor and placed it in the burlap bag. "We're almost done anyways."

The Crusaders exchange knowing looks before moving towards the next alley.

=====================================================================================

The sun started to set as the three Crusaders walked down a local street. Sweetie Belle skipped excitedly. "We're finally done!"

Scootaloo stretched her neck. "Yeah, took long enough. It better be worth it this time."

Applebloom sighed. "I think it'll work out fine. Now we just need to wait."

The three girls continued their walk down the street. The orange filly suddenly straightens up. "Hey look! There's Spike!"

The Crusaders grinned devilishly as they approached the oblivious dragon.

The girls quietly approached him. Applebloom leaned in and put her face not 3 inches away from the dragon's ear. "HI TWILIGHT!"

Spike made a sound which could be mistaken for the sound a scared girl might make when waking from a nightmare. He slowly turned his head and his expression changed from shock to disdain. "Oh. It's you guys."

Sweetie Belle walked to the other side of the purple dragon. "So Twilight. What brings you out here?"

Spike put a claw to his face and sighed. "I'm not Twilight." He looked towards the shop behind him. "I'm actually here shopping with her."

Scootaloo placed a hoof on her chin. "That's right. He's not Twilight. He's Mini Twilight." She pointed a hoof at him accusingly.

"Scootaloo!" Spike glared at the fillies.

Sweetie Belle made a concerned face "What's wrong Mini Twilight?"

"You girls don't understand. Twilight and I spend a lot of time together! Of course I'm going to pick some things up from her."

Applebloom giggled "Yeah, I bet if I spent enough time there I'd turn purple too!"

"Gah! Our color doesn't even matter!"

Scootaloo put a hoof around Applebloom. "I don't know Applebloom. I'm having a hard time seeing any dragon qualities huh?"

Spike stomped his foot into the ground. "It's not my fault! I spend so much time with her it's ridiculous! We eat breakfast together! We do chores together! We study things together! We sleep together!"

The Crusaders simultaneously burst out in laughter. Sweetie Belle wiped a tear from her eye as she choked out a response through her chuckles. "You sleep with Twilight?"

"Wha- THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT AND YOU KNOW IT!"

The girls continued laughing in their own ways. Scootaloo was rolling on the floor, Sweetie Belle was trying to hold in her laughter ineffectively, and Applebloom was flat out laughing in his face.

Spike scowled and crossed his arms. "Stop it."

Suddenly a loud explosion shook the area and every head turns towards the shop. A gray plume escapes from the crevices in the front door.

The three girls exchange glances before slowly creeping away. Applebloom turns to Spike "Uh, sorry Spike, but we should probably get going. So... yeah."

The girls turned and scurried away. Right after they turned the corner Scootaloo pokes her head back. "Have fun sleeping with Twilight!"

The giggles could be heard with Spike's angered scream.

====================================================================================

Big Mac closed his eyes and felt the crisp night air on his fur. He exhaled and returned his gaze to the beast. It hasn't moved in quite a while.

He inhales deeply. For a second... I thought I smelled... Caramel?

A shadow darts in front of his. He quickly turns to face the roof.

Nothing.

Big Mac returned to his post. A cool breeze rustled the grass.

*Creak*

Big Mac raises his ears and looks around.

I must be imagining things.

The large pony yawns and blinks his eyes.

A loud shriek severs the silence.

Applebloom! Big Mac stands up. I didn't imagine that!

He franticly looks around before staring at the still beast. I'll be back for you.

He then darts out of the square.

Oh no! Where is she! He runs through the streets checking every alley.

He circled around the block before it hit him.

She's supposed to be sleeping over at Rarity's!

Big Mac stormed through the streets until he reached his goal.

Rarity's House.

The red pony continuously slammed the door until a shout could be heard from inside.

"Just a second! You can't come to my door at such a late hour and expect a speedy response!"

Rarity opened the door. "Yes."

Big Mac pushed the door open and let himself in. "I need to see Applebloom. I think she's in trouble."

"Whatever do you mean darling? They've been quiet all night."

Big Mac turned his head "That's what I was afraid off."

Both ponies stopped in front of Sweetie's room.

Big Mac takes a deep breath. And opens the door.

"Applebloom?"

From the mess of covers that is Sweetie Belle's bed, a tired yellow filly raises her head. *Yawn* "Hey BIg Mac. Are you sleeping over at Rarity's too?"

Big Mac froze. He watched his sister rub her eyes. He listened to the sounds of the other fillies sleeping. He looked at Rarity who smiled at him. "Uh, no sis. I was just checking up on you."

She yawned cutely again. "That's nice. Thanks Big Brother." She then turned and snuggled into the blanket.

Rarity motioned towards the hall. Big Mac sighed in relief and walked out.

Rarity flipped her hair "See? She's perfectly alright darling."

"Yeah. I thought I heard her yell when I was in the square."

"Oh, I know what's wrong. You've been out there all night and got little sleep. You go home and get some rest."

Big Mac looked at the ceiling. "Maybe you're right. That cage is pretty strong."

"Yes, you can come check up on it in the morning."

Big Mac waved as he walked out.

"Good Night Dear."

=====================================================================================

Applebloom removed her ear from Sweetie Belle's bedroom door. She looked at the clock and waited a few minutes.

She walked to the closet and flipped a record on the record player. She added pillows to the pile on the bed, to imitate her sleeping form.

She then opened the window and pulled up a piece of PVC pipe. She put her mouth to the end and whispered "Where's he heading?"

" It looks like he's going to Sweet Apple Acres."

Applebloom pumped her hoof in the air. "Yes! I'll be there in a minute." Applebloom put on a stylish red bandana to hide her face.

If one were to follow the pipes, one would see that the pipes stretch across several blocks. Normally fifty feet of piping would not reach very far. But the fillies connected the gutters of the houses to extend the piping quite a bit.

Applebloom jumped out of the window and ran out into the night.

After passing a few blocks she stopped at a certain house. She knocked on the gutter three times and Sweetie Belle popped her head out from the roof. She was wearing the same bandana as Applebloom. "Hey Applebloom. Let's go meet up with Scootaloo." Sweetie Belle tossed her the megaphone and climbed off the roof. Then both girls started walking towards the square.

"So ah think my acting was so good, that I almost got my cutie mark."

"I don't know. You sounded like you were hurt. You were supposed to sound scared."

"Eh, it worked didn't it."

"I guess so."

The two fillies reached town square and waved at Scootaloo who was sitting on another roof. She had a pair of binoculars over her bandana and was chewing on some caramel balls. She motioned for the two girls to go over.

The girls climb onto the roof and faced each other.

Scootaloo pointed to the street "Alright, you guys try to make friends with it. I'm staying here as lookout. Here's the stick."

Sweetie looked towards the mountains in the distance. "So if we befriend him, we'll be able to write an interesting friendship report to the princess?"

Applebloom nodded. "That's the plan."

Scootaloo motioned towards the cage. "Why is that tent over it anyways?"

Sweetie scratched her head "To make us seem more hospitable?"

"It's in a cage."

"I don't know. Maybe to keep it cool in the daytime?"

The yellow filly nodded. "That sounds like it makes sense."

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom carefully climbed down from the roof. They hesitated for a moment before deciding to make their approach.

They left the safety of the shadows and the two fillies carefully snuck over to the cage. They reached the wooden poles of the tent before they stopped advancing.

Applebloom took the stick, and gingerly poked the bars of the cage. She then quickly removed the stick and watched.

No response.

She tried again and this time poked the bars a few times before quickly pulling back.

No response.

She looked at Sweetie Belle before calling out to the beast. "Hellooooooo. You awake?"

Both fillies flinch as the beast adjusts its seating.

The white filly looked over "Well it's definitely alive in there."

"Then why isn't it doing anything?"

"I don't know?"

Scootaloo watched from the roof, before something caught her eye. A shadow approached from the distance.

Oh no! How am I supposed to signal them? Scootaloo looked around but couldn't think of anything to do. She thought about throwing the megaphone. That would give us away for sure. She stopped as she decided on an action.

She cawed like a seagull.

Both fillies looked up to see Scootaloo frantically waving her hooves in the air. They looked at each other before letting out an audible "Uh oh."

They dart from the square and dash into a dark alley. The ponies watch the shadow grow bigger as it approached.

The shadow got bigger and bigger until finally the figure was revealed.

Applebloom scratched her head "Winona?"

The brown and white dog slowly approached the cage and laid in front of it. The creature made a gesture and the dog perked up and squeezed itself inside.

"What in tarnation does she think she's doing?"

Sweetie and Applebloom looked up towards Scootaloo. She gave them the ok with a wink. The yellow pony loudly whispered to her friend on the roof. "Ya can't caw like a bird at this time of night!"

"What? Why not?"

"It's too late, the birds are all sleeping."

"Then what am I supposed to do next time somepony walks over?"

"Ah don't know, but don't caw like a bird."

Scootaloo crossed her arms and mumbled under her breath.

The small fillies make their way towards the beast again. When the two ponies reached the tent, Applebloom called out for her dog. "Winona! Get away from that thing."

The dog grunted and refused to move.

"Winona! You're supposed to listen to me too! Not only Applejack and Big Macintosh!"

Sweetie gasped and grabbed her friend. "Do you see what this means? If Winona can make friends with it, then so can we!

The white filly grabbed the stick and poked the beast with it. The creature made no reaction and Winona raised her head curiously at it.

"It's still not doing anything."

The farm pony chuckled "Maybe it only speaks dog?"

"Is dog a type of language?"

"Umm, I don't think so. Maybe?"

Scootaloo perked up as she saw another shadow.

She was about to call out to her friends but stopped herself. What am I supposed to do now? It's probably a real pony this time! She started grinding her teeth when she experienced the aftertaste of caramel.

She looked into her bag and found that she only had one left. Well. It's for the greater good.

The small pegasus picked up the ball and chucked it at her friends, hitting Sweetie Belle in the back of the head. "Ow!" She looked over to see Scootaloo motioning towards them again. "Somepony's coming!"

Both fillies dart towards the alley again and watch from the shadows.

Twilight walks up with a bucket in her mouth.

The white filly whispered "What's Twilight doing here?"

Applebloom shrugged and they continued watching. As Twilight started to walk away she stopped. She turned around and tried to telekinesis the creature's hood. Both fillies gasp as the creature grabbed the magic making it fade. Winona got up from its lap and started showing her teeth.

Scootalo watched in awe from the roof. Twilight then noticed the caramel ball on the ground. Wait, you're not...

Twilight chucks the piece of candy into the bucket.

Scootaloo shook her head. How'd she notice the little piece of candy and not that Big Mac was gone?

The purple unicorn looked at the creature one more time, before walking into the night.

The orange filly moved her sitting position. I guess her attention to detail can make her miss big things.

The two fillies look at Scootaloo for the ok. The pegasus waved them on and started looking through the binoculars again.

When they reached the tent Sweetie grabbed the stick. She started poking the beast with it again.

After a particularly forceful poke, Sweetie found that she couldn't move the stick. When she looked up, the beast had the stick in its claw.

Before she had time to react, the beast pulled the stick, bringing the small unicorn with it. The stick flew out of the cage and snapped in half against the wall. The creature grabbed the small filly and placed her on its lap.

Both Applebloom and Scootaloo gasped. Then Scootaloo dives off the roof towards the cage.

The creature sat quietly, stroking the small filly's mane while she shivered and whimpered in fear.

Scootaloo started fidgeting with a rope that was holding the tent straight "Don't worry Sweetie Belle, we'll get you out."

Applebloom looked at Winona and then back at the filly "Don't worry, I don't think its gona hurt you. Winona seems pretty calm."

Sweetie Belle looked at the monster. She couldn't make out any features from the darkness of its hood. "Please Mister Creature, I'm sorry for bothering you. I just want to go home."

The creature sat unresponsive, and continued to stroke her mane.

Scootaloo straightened up "Ok, I'll be back in a minute. If it looks like it's going to do something go get Twilight."

Applebloom nodded her head, before turning back to Sweetie Belle. "Don't worry, we'll get you out."

"I'm scared Applebloom."

"Ah know, Scootaloo will be back soon."

"I don't want to be in here."

Suddenly the creature tensed up and slowly tilted its head towards Sweetie Belle. A low raspy voice could barely be heard from under its hood. "You... can talk?"

"Of course she can talk! She's not a baby."

The creature started stroking her mane again "Why didn't you talk this whole time?"

Sweetie Belle wiped her tears "We were talking the whole time! I'm pretty sure everypony tried to talk to you at some point!" The little girl shivered. " You just didn't answer."

The creature lifts a claw to scratch something on the inside of the hood "That's weird."

Applebloom knocked on the bars of the cage "What are you going to do with her?"

The creature turned its head away from the yellow filly. "I'm going to keep her here *cough* until you let me out."

Sweetie stuttered "But we don't know how to get you out. Twilight locked the cage with her magic."

"Then I'll wait for her to see that I have you. I'll use you as bargaining material. Then she will let me out."

The white filly started sobbing "Please let me go! Rarity is going to be so mad that I snuck out!"

"....you snuck out?"

She sniffled and whipped her nose with her hoof "Yeah, we're supposed to be sleeping over at my sister's house."

The creature sat motionless for a few minutes. It then removed the bandana from Sweetie's face to reveal her teary face. It sighed.

The creature released the small filly and pocketed the small bandana. *cough* "I'm keeping this though."

Sweetie darted out and hugged Applebloom. The yellow filly turned to face the creature. "What are you going to do with Winona?"

The creature sat quietly for a bit before responding "Winona?"

"Ma dog."

"Oh you mean Ragnarok."

"Her name's Winona! And she's a girl!"

The creature looked down at the small dog. "You don't say. Guess I couldn't tell the difference."

"Let her go too!"

The creature motioned towards the dog, and she came over and sat on its lap. "I'm not holding her captive. She's here because she wants to be here. But I am going to call her Ragnarok. If she's going to be my new dog she needs an appropriate name. It sounds much more appealing that Winona."

"But her name's-"

Scootaloo ran over, carrying another stick in her mouth. "I got the sthick!" She dropped it when she saw Sweetie outside the cage. "How'd you get out?"

The yellow filly raised an eyebrow. "You were going to get Sweetie out with a stick? Even though she got into the situation with a stick?"

Scootaloo scratched her head "Yeah?"

The monster slammed a fist into the bars. "Get out of here before I start making noise. You don't want to get in trouble do you?"

All three fillies shake their heads no.

"Then get out!"

The three girls ran as fast as they could, and didn't stop until they were safely back in Sweeties room. They all sat on the floor and panted as they tried to recover their breath.

Sweetie Belle looked at her fellow Crusaders and frowned. "I don't think he's as mean as everyone says."

Applebloom shook her head. "No, he's trying to keep ma dog! That's pretty mean if ya ask me!"

Scootaloo scratched her head "Then if it's so mean, then why did it let Sweetie Belle go?"

The white filly lowered her head. "I kinda started crying."

"Well how can you eat something that's crying?"

"What! It wasn't going to eat me!"

"How do you know?"

"It didn't eat Winona."

"That's because ponies taste better than dogs."

"This is no time for jokes Scootaloo!"

Scootaloo looked at Applebloom, then at Sweetie "What should we do now?"

Sweetie Belle stood up and looked out of the window.

"Where going to help him get out."