• Published 24th Nov 2013
  • 3,989 Views, 73 Comments

Rule of Thumb - ShortHopLaszer



A monstrosity attacks Ponyville. Common sense dictates that they should proceed towards unknown situations logically, with caution, and with open-mindedness. However doing so may be a fatal mistake. It is a human after all.

  • ...
17
 73
 3,989

Introduction: Heads

As I walk into a small meadow, a slight breeze wisped through the grass. Each blade of grass moved individually, in a way which mimicked a small swell of water flowing in the ocean.

Passing a small bridge, I could hear the current of a lazy stream as it hits various rocks and obstacles. The pleasant tones set a peaceful air to the surrounding meadow.

I continue to walk at a steady pace. I want to conserve my energy.

The canvas of alternating beauty we call the sky, had just enough clouds lazily drifting by to catch some of the sun's rays and refract the light in an ever-changing spectacle of various colors and shades. As I near town, everything seemed peaceful and calm.

That was the problem.

I listened for the sounds of normalcy. But there were no birds chirping their midday symphonies. No ponies wandering aimlessly, having conversations that hold no real meaning to anypony other than themselves. No friendly faces that speak greetings to the happy souls strolling through the streets. No sounds that normally attribute to the bustling utopia that is Ponyville.

That's why I'm here.

Things must be pretty bad if the Elements of Harmony themselves need assistance. A panicked plea for help came to my attention not 10 minutes ago. Rainbow Dash is normally good at keeping her cool in desperate situations. She was shaking and fidgeting. Her eyes were watery and her wings kept twitching. She was absolutely terrified.

Ponies have been hospitalized. Property has been damaged. And most importantly. A monster is actively threatening my family.

Something has to be done.

I walk by some houses to see that ponies have already boarded many of the windows. The normal smell of fresh fruit from the market, is masked by the stench of sweat and fear. The potholes in the ground were not there yesterday. And the various dents in the walls of the city's buildings are troublesome to my composure.

If one didn't know where to look, the buildings would seem empty and lifeless. A passing glance into a window shows various ponies cowering in fear. From behind a counter or under a table. Only quick flashes of themselves were shown and only for a split second. Even then it was only a tuft of fur, or the end of a tail was all that could be seen. These ponies are frightened.

What could have caused this?

I hope everyone is alright. The ponies of this fair town need me. I must use my special talent for the greater good. I will stop the beast.

If I fail, hope will be all for naught. Many things cross my mind. Disappointed faces. Hurt loved ones. Homes that have been literally broken. Time to stop over-thinking . Thinking ahead for various futures is pointless. Over-thinking uses energy.

I am worried about this situation. The town is not in the best of shapes right now. Various damages and scorch marks decorate the streets in a burnt-photo kind of way.

No worrying. Worrying uses too much energy.

I need to get there fast. But too fast and my presence will be wasted. Take long, deep breaths. Don't pay too much attention to anything but getting to the destination. Need to keep my mind sharp.

For a second the sky darkened. I could see some flashing lights fly into the distance. The zigzag of magic flickered through the sky and pushed its way through a cloud. The cloud broke into pieces in opposite directions of the beam due to the residual force of the blast forcing it apart. The sky returns to its baby blue color. As if nothing ever happened.
Another blast shoots through the sky. This time I hear it whiz through the air. It sounds like a buzzing buzzard mixed with the bass of an explosion. I am near enough to see that the blast was purple. I must be getting close.

I stop paying attention to the signs of wreckage. Acknowledging what was damaged is wasted energy.
I hear a shout. A cry of fear that cuts the very air and sends shivers down my spine. I can't help but struggle to retain my control.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. Walk slow and deliberate. Conserve my strength for the challenge ahead.

I hear a bang. The sounds of broken bones chill the air. The situation has escalated. But I must keep my composure. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

I turn a corner and face the town square. Suddenly the air chills and feels as if it got heavier. The atmosphere turns from one of turmoil to one of constant pressure on my neck and knees.

The air is heavy. Air is not supposed to feel heavy. As I face the statue of a unicorn from our history, I see a frightening scene.

The square has many scorch marks littered in sporadic patterns across the ground, walls, and roofs. Scrape marks and dents accompany the scorch marks as if they couldn't be seen without the other. Knocked out ponies lay sprawled across the ground. All of them in beaten positions near or on the walls. I see one slumped over the peak of a roof. It was not a pegasus.

A creature squats low on its hind legs. It is bending over a poor unfortunate pony right under the unicorn statue. A dark grey hood hides the creature's face. But from the shadows I see a glint of the eyes. Such cold eyes. Eyes of a beast. Eyes of my nightmares. The creature notices me and the atmosphere thickens.

The monstrosity rises, and its shadow casts a shape that reaches farther than anypony's. This creature was tall to say the least. It towered above the little ponies of our small town. It was intimidating.

The creature then turns to face me. I hear nothing but the beating of my own heart. The weight of the air is almost unbearable. I am a scared.

The monstrosity then kicks the little pony so it slides out of the street. The pony stops as it bumps lightly against a wall. It needs it's space. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

Then the beast rotates its neck to the side, making horrible cracking sounds. The sounds mimic that of fracturing wood. These sounds don't seem healthy for any animal to be making. It brushes some dirt off of its' jacket. The jacket must have gone through some wear for it doesn't seem much cleaner. There are tears and rips in various parts of it. Somepony hit this creature with a decent amount of force. Stay strong. Your family needs you.

The creature opens and closes its claws. This reveals the sharp pointed parts at the end. The nails are as sharp as a newly shaped razor. It is clenching it's claws in anticipation. The creature bends its knees slightly and makes a threatening posture. This creature gives off an air of formidability. Don't blink. Time to put these reflexes to use.

I step forward. Tense and un-tense my muscles to quickly loosen up and check my condition. I stamp my hoof on the ground in a gesture of warning. Back off monster.

The monster slumps it's back forward. Shifting its weight in a way that doesn't seem possible from a creature with that body structure. This must be a demon.

The creature's eyes are shown sporadically, as the hood dances in sync to the monster's motions. I see bloodlust. There is no sign of fatigue. The creature breathes steadily, and occasionally turns its head to the side. It is wary of multiple opponents. The townsfolk must have tried to beat it with sheer force of numbers.

I take a few steps forward and exhale sharply. Tightening my focus. Watching every muscle twitch and alien-like movement from the beast. There is no one here but us, and it notices. The creature clenches its claws and stomps a foot into the ground. It then bends a little lower, moving its center of gravity closer to the ground. This creature is smart.

I take another deep breath and mentally collect my bearings. Time to do what I was called here to do. Ponies need me. My family needs me. It doesn't matter if this is an enlarged dragon stampeding through the town. I am here to perform at top efficiency. My best will be enough.

Watch the reactions. Analyze the movements.

There.

A break in its defensive stance. Now or never. Another quick breath and I charge.