• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 6,490 Views, 188 Comments

Past, Present, and Future - DragonShadow



When a dragon girl comes to Ponyville, she changes the way Spike sees his friends and himself, opening his eyes to the possibility of a life lived outside of Ponyville.

  • ...
17
 188
 6,490

02 - The Dragon of Ponyville

Chapter 2: The Dragon of Ponyville

Pyralsprite had never been in a pony town before; in fact she’d never even been around ponies. Now that she was they didn’t seem all that bad, though it was a bit jarring. The constant clop-clop-clop of their hooves against the hard ground as they walked was kind of annoying, especially with dozens of ponies wandering about, but there wasn’t so much chatter on the streets that it made her head ache. The feeling of the warm sun on her scales felt nice, let through into the town by the short buildings that lined the street.

The most prominent thing about them that she noticed was the myriad of smells that came from each one. Scaled creatures tended to have more muted scents, like her dragon guide in this town, Spike. These ponies though, with their fleshy fur-covered hides, were like walking flowers, and somehow each and every one was unique. It was strange, but not wholly unpleasant.

Spike stood out among the crowd, not only by not having a very strong scent, but simply by radiating an enormous amount of body heat. It wasn’t something a pony would feel to the touch, but a sensitive dragon like her could sense him a ways off. Some non-dragon races whispered that a dragon’s veins were filled with lava instead of blood. It wasn’t true, of course… but it was a funny thought, and it was easy to see how it got started. Though Spike was easily the hottest dragon she’d ever come into contact with, despite also being the smallest…

“Ah, here! This is Sugarcube Corner!” Spike rushed up to the entrance of a nearby building, whirling to look back at her with a crooked grin. He pushed the door open, and delicious sugary scents immediately wafted out to greet them. “They have some of the best cakes and pies in Equestria here, and they’ll even make some special gemstone cupcakes if I ask them to!”

“Mmmh… that does sound pretty good.” Pyralsprite licked her lips and turned to follow Spike inside the building, into the whirling, swirling scent of pastries and ponies. She followed Spike up to the counter, behind which two ponies who smelled of strawberries and blueberries were speaking to one-another in soft tones.

“Good morning Mrs. Cake!” Spike exclaimed as he bounded up to the counter.

“Good morning Spike! Oh, and Spike’s little friend!” Mrs. Cake marveled in surprise. “Who’s this?”

Spike chimed in gleefully. “This is Pyralsprite! She just arrived in Ponyville. I thought I’d show her around town!”

“Um… yeah, hey,” Pyralsprite agreed with a wave of one claw and an awkward smile.

“Oh, that’s wonderful! Do you like gemstones too?”

Pyralsprite moved up beside Spike. “Sure, I love gemstones. Quartz is my favorite.”

“I… don’t think we have any quartz, unfortunately. Do you like sapphire?”

“Oh, sure. That’s not bad.”

“Great! Give me just a few minutes, and I’ll whip you both up a special treat!”

“Thanks Mrs. Cake!” Spike settled down and licked his lips while the two ponies disappeared into the back. “I think you’re going to like these cupcakes, they’re the best cupcakes in all of Equestria!”

Pyralsprite giggled. “Considering it’ll be the only cupcake I’ve ever had in Equestria, that’s not saying a lot.”

“Well you’ll never need another one. Until the next time we come to Sugarcube Corner, anyway.”

“That’s a bold claim,” Pyralsprite smirked.

Spike’s cocky tone betrayed the matching smirk on his face. “That’s just how confident I am.”

Despite her doubts, once the cupcake was in her claw and she took a bite, she had to admit, it was a darned good cupcake. Somehow they managed to make the tough, crunchy sapphire work perfectly with the fluffy dough it was embedded into. She still would have preferred a quartz cupcake, even the thought made her mouth water, but this was still plenty good enough to quench any hunger she may have had for sweets.

“Come on! There’s still so much of Ponyville for you to see!” Spike exclaimed, adding a moment later. “Uh… so to speak… thanks again Mrs. Cake!”

“You’re very welcome! Have fun out there you two!” Mrs. Cake called after them as Spike led Pyralsprite back outside into the pleasantly warm sunlight. Something about her tone made Pyralsprite hesitate, but she didn’t want to say anything. The light, high-pitched tone was almost like one she’d expect a pony to use when talking to a dog…

“Hey, it’s Rainbow Dash!” Spike jolted her out of her thoughts. Pyralsprite could hear the wind whipping around above her, bringing down the smell of sweat mixed with rainwater. It was a surprisingly not-unpleasant scent. “Hey, Rainbow Dash! Come say hi to my new friend!”

“New friend huh?” Rainbow Dash whirled down close to the ground, her hooves touching down with a heavy thump right in front of Pyralsprite. “A winged dragon? How fast can you fly?”

Pyralsprite stood stunned for a moment, then huffed a puff of flame in front of her. “Fast enough to leave you behind, if I didn’t have holes in my wings.”

“Hah! We’ll have to see about that once those holes are gone then! Name’s Rainbow Dash.”

“I’m Pyralsprite.”

“And I’m looking for Twilight,” Rainbow Dash suddenly addressed Spike. “You know where she is?”

“Oh, if she’s not at the Library she’s probably at the Town Hall,” Spike informed her. “She had a meeting with the mayor this evening.”

“Really? Aw horseapples, well I can’t pull her away from that, and I’m sure as heck not listening in on boring political stuff.” Rainbow Dash heaved a sigh. “Well, tell her I said hi, will you Spike?”

“Will do!” Spike replied enthusiastically before Rainbow Dash took off again, the scent quickly moving out of her smelling range on the stiff breeze blowing through Ponyville.

“That was… abrupt,” Pyralsprite huffed.

“Ah don’t mind her, she’s just always kind of hyper.” Spike chuckled. “Hey, come on, there’s one more pony I’d love to introduce you to before we have to go home for the night!”

“Have to go home? What, like a curfew?” Pyralsprite asked as she turned to follow Spike through Ponyville.

Spike chuckled. “Nah, there’s no curfew, not for us at least. Twilight just prefers me to be home by seven. That’s when she starts her evening work assignments.”

“And what do her evening assignments have to do with you?”

“I’m her assistant! I can’t assist her if I’m not there!” Spike exclaimed like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“I guess I can’t argue with that…” Pyralsprite muttered to herself under her breath.

“Ah, here we are.” Spike sounded like he was giggling to himself as he approached a large building in front of them. The smell of cedar and old dry paint was thick in the air, a wooden house lavishly painted, no doubt. Pyralsprite was no expert on pony society or ponies in general, but she had a feeling whoever lived in a place like this was both well off and full of themselves.

Spike seemed psyched however as he charged up to the door and knocked almost daintily with one claw. Pyralsprite moved up beside him, a bit curious who he was so eager to see. When the door opened she was met with enough different scents to make her gag, but she quickly suppressed it so she didn’t seem rude. It was like standing in front of a flower garden covered with oils and gemstone dust of all kinds, and hidden somewhere deep inside of it was a tiny, tiny hint of pony.

“Oh! Spike!” The flowery pony exclaimed in surprise. “And Spike’s little friend?”

“Hehe, yeah!” Spike exclaimed. “Rarity, this is my new friend, Pyralsprite. Pyralsprite, this is the most beau… I mean, this is Rarity… ahehe…”

“Oohhhh isn’t that an adorable name for an adorable dragon?” Rarity’s hooves clopped across the pavement as she approached. Pyralsprite had to fight the urge to retreat. Honestly, how did Spike not notice this gross mishmash of smells? “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Pyralsprite!”

Pyralsprite choked down a cough. “Heh… likewise…”

“Now you both simply must come inside and allow me to get you something to drink. I insist!” Rarity exclaimed.

Spike spoke up immediately. “Great! Come on, Pyralsprite!” Pyralsprite wanted to protest, but his claws had already scraped their way into the building and out of earshot.

“Are you coming, darling?” the perfumed pony asked.

After taking a breath to steel herself Pyralsprite moved forward. “Yep… hehe, I can’t wait.” She held her breath as long as she could once she entered, but eventually she had to start breathing again. It wasn’t as bad as she’d feared inside the building. There were only traces of the flowers and oils, the building itself mostly smelled like gemstone dust, which was actually kind of nice.

“Come into the kitchen and I’ll make you both some nice tea!” Rarity closed the door and headed into the kitchen to turn on some of the kitchen doodads Pyralsprite didn’t recognize. She did recognize Spike though, his superheated body was perched in one of the chairs at the oak dining table. If Pyralsprite didn’t know any better she’d swear his head was five degrees hotter than it usually was. Was he blushing?

“So when did you come to Ponyville, Pyralsprite? How long are you staying?” Rarity asked companionably.

“I sort of arrived this morning…” Pyralsprite coughed into one claw. “And I don’t know how long I’m staying. Until my wings heal enough to carry me home I guess.”

“How long will that be?”

“I’m not a doctor, I don’t know.”

Rarity giggled and approached the table with two cups of tea floating in front of her. “Well I’m certain my little Spikey Wikey will take just marvelous care of you! So you have nothing to worry about.”

“Spikey Wikey…?” Pyralsprite muttered.

“Aw, come on Rarity…” Spike groaned.

Rarity just replied with a giggle. “Oh come now, don’t get all bashful, be proud of what a wonderful little dragon you are! Oh, by the way, Spike, I could use your assistance with a couple of projects I’ve been working on. I have some dresses in progress for a mare precisely your color and I could use your scales to help me coordinate the colors.”

“Sure! I’m ready any time!” Spike leapt up from his chair, his head growing even hotter.

“Oh thank you! I knew I could count on you!” Rarity nuzzled his cheek, moments before the two of them turned to head into the next room.

“Spikey… Wikey…?” Pyralsprite muttered to herself for a moment, then slid off of her chair to follow the other two into the next room. She paused when she realized that Spike was standing on the far side of the room as bolts of fabric of every type, and undoubtedly color, were draped across his body, then pulled off by the unicorn who was standing against the wall next to a giant pile of different clothing.

“Yes, no… aha, yes, much better! Now I need complimentary colors…” Rarity muttered to herself.

Pyralsprite made her way over to Spike’s side, where the boy was standing stock still and letting the unicorn throw clothes all over him. “Why are you letting her do that? Is she paying you?”

“Paying me? Nah… I don’t need to be paid to want to do everything I can for the most beautiful creature in Equestria…” Spike spoke softly, ending with a wistful sigh. Pyralsprite had to admit she’d never actually seen a pony, for obvious reasons, but she felt her stomach churn at the thought of one being beautiful. This was a dragon she was standing next to, wasn’t it? He sure smelled like one, he was as hot as one… but he didn’t act like one.

He didn’t even act like a pony. He acted more like a dog.

“Thank you so much, Spike! You made this project so much easier for me!” Rarity exclaimed as a gemstone hovered from her closet over to Spike. “Here you go, a special treat for such a kind gesture!”

“Gosh, thanks Rarity!” Spike snatched the gemstone out of the air in one eager claw. “I’ll help you out any time…”

“You’re such a sweetheart!” Rarity giggled. “Now, why don’t you run along and play with your little friend? You really mustn’t allow a lady to become bored.”

“Oh! Uh, no way! Come on Pyralsprite!” Spike whirled back to her as if just remembering that she was there.

“Right behind you.” Pyralsprite moved to join him at the front door.

“Do come back any time, Pyralsprite! I’ll show you how to color-coordinate!” Rarity called after them whimsically. Pyralsprite came to a stop and turned to Spike, whose head heated up with an intense blush, but she didn’t feel like sticking around and arguing the point. Instead she just made her way outside, into the fresh, clean, pure air that circled around the town of Ponyville.

“I’m really sorry about that, I mean, she doesn’t know…” Spike stuttered.

“Relax, I know.” A smirk tugged at her lips as she walked down the sidewalk again. “So where are we going next?”

Spike considered for a moment. “It’s getting kind of late now; we should probably head back to the library before Twilight wonders where I am. I bet she could use your help too, now that I think about it. She always has so much work to do a helping claw couldn’t hurt.”

Pyralsprite huffed a small puff of flame. “Just how I wanted to spend my evening.”

“What?”

“Oh nothing… let’s get back to the tree then, then make like a couple of leaves and stay there until Winter.”

Spike let out a laugh. “Haha, good one!”

Pyralsprite couldn’t help a smile. “I try.”

The two dragons made their way through Ponyville again toward the Golden Oaks Library. Most ponies were wrapping up the day’s business and heading home before the sun’s warmth gave way to the cold night. Dragons were cold-blooded, so the idea of being out at night alone was less than comfortable, but it was far from a problem. Their blood was more than hot enough to take a few hours of cold, but being out all night by oneself was worrying nonetheless.

So it was with a sense of relief the two dragons made their way into the library, where she immediately heard Twilight’s hoofsteps approaching from the far side of the room. “Spike! Punctual as always! That’s why you’re my number one assistant!”

“You got that right!” Spike exclaimed excitedly.

“Could you do me a favor and fetch those scrolls Celestia sent from the bedroom? We need to categorize and catalogue them all before we get started.”

“Right away!” Spike scurried upstairs.

“Yes. Fetch, Spike, fetch,” Pyralsprite grunted under her breath.

“Pardon…?” Twilight asked curiously.

Pyralsprite grumbled a wordless response and turned to make her way toward the kitchen. She hadn’t meant to be heard. No matter how she felt she was still a guest here, and they were kind enough to give her a place to stay until her wings were healed, and even that was after saving her life from those timberwolves. Who was she to butt in and complain? He seemed content with the way things were anyway, no matter how little like a dragon he really seemed. A true dragon earned respect, they didn’t obey commands unless it was from someone who earned greater respect, and these ponies did nothing but boss him around without earning anything, passing him treats and talking down to him like a dog.

Yet she could only listen from the kitchen as Spike obeyed every command Twilight Sparkle gave to him. Like an obedient little puppy, running back and forth chasing a squeaky rubber ball. The Patriarch would have flown into a rage if he witnessed a dragon behaving like this, especially for a group of soft ponies. It was a good thing he wasn’t here. Spike was as soft as a sponge made of clouds, but there was an enthusiasm about him that was kind of charming. She wouldn’t want him to get hurt.

With a sigh Pyralsprite plopped down on the floorboards in the kitchen and listened to the chatter from the next room, until several hours later she heard Twilight yawn.

“Ah, we just finished! At nine o’clock! We’re right on schedule! Because of you, number one assistant!” Twilight giggled.

Spike chuckled back. “Heh, aw shucks, come on, you’re gonna embarrass me in front of… hey, where’s Pyralsprite?”

“I’m here, I’m here.” Pyralsprite pulled herself up from the floor and headed into the living room to join the others. “Just relaxing and letting you two do your thing.”

Twilight nodded. “Well, we’re done with our ‘thing’ tonight, so why don’t you two go to bed? Owlowicious can keep me company until I go, but you two need your sleep. Now go on.”

“Of course Twilight, I’ll see you tomorrow. Come on Pyralsprite, let’s get some sleep!” Spike turned to head upstairs without any complaint. Pyralsprite followed silently after him, letting him lead her up to the bedroom and towards the two little-dragon-sized wicker beds at the foot of the gigantic fluffy pony bed. She couldn’t help her lip curling into a soft snarl. Five dragons their size could fit on one of those beds, why were they cooped up in these tiny things?

Spike didn’t mention anything wrong with it as he climbed into bed though, so she kept her jaws shut as well and climbed into her own, curling up on the cushion and letting her wings fan out across the sides. She would just enjoy the time with him, have a little fun, and then go home once her wings were healed. At least nobody was trying to boss her around. If Spike wanted to run around living his life taking orders from ponies that was his business, but the second any pony tried to order her around they would not like her response.

“Goodnight, Pyralsprite.” Spike spoke from the other basket as he shuffled over, his body heat being obscured somewhat by a thick blanket.

“Goodnight, Spike.” Pyralsprite sighed softly, speaking the rest in a soft whisper. “And thanks again…”


___



The next morning brought the birds singing their song right outside the bedroom window, only to be shooed away by a burst of fire. Nothing was more irritating to Pyralsprite than birds chirping. Perhaps it was her reliance on her hearing to get around, but it was just so high-pitched it gave her a headache. Oh well, they were gone now and she was left with the sound of the wind rushing through the open window and the blankets flapping softly against the beds.

She lifted her head to get a sense of what was around her. The room was as it was the night before, but the other two beds were already empty. There was still a lot of heat inside the blankets though, so they couldn’t have left too long ago. Indeed, now that she was starting to focus better she could hear the scuttling of claws and hooves on the wooden floor downstairs through the open bedroom door.

Leaving her bed-slash-basket behind, Pyralsprite made her way downstairs, where Twilight was sitting at a table in the living room with a book hovering in front of her nose.

As the little dragon reached the bottom step Twilight turned toward her. “Oh, good morning, Pyralsprite. I hope we didn’t wake you.”

“Nah, I’m fine.” Pyralsprite wandered further into the living room, turning toward the kitchen.

Twilight spoke in a friendly tone that did nothing to make Pyralsprite feel better. “Spike’s in the kitchen making breakfast. If you want something I’m sure he’d love to make it for you.”

“I’m sure he would.” Pyralsprite headed into the kitchen to find Spike standing in front of the stove, wearing an apron across his body and holding a spatula in one claw as a soft sizzle erupted from the pan in front of him. The smell of bread and eggs wafted around the kitchen.

“Hey Pyralsprite!” Spike exclaimed enthusiastically. “Do you want some eggs and toast? I’m making plenty.”

Pyralsprite was as polite as she could be. “No thanks, I don’t eat organic food.”

“Aw, come on, I know dragons eat gemstones, but I bet if you gave it a try you’d really like it.”

“I said no.” Pyralsprite approached Spike. “Doesn’t she keep any gemstones around here for you to eat?”

“Well I have a small stash upstairs, but Twilight doesn’t get them for me. I earn them myself.”

“Fantastic.” Pyralsprite shook her head, listening to the oil in the pan sizzle and pop for a few moments before speaking again. “So what’s the plan today? Does Twilight have more assignments to be assisted with?”

“Yeah, I gotta stick around here at the library for a while and help her write her responses to Princess Celestia. There’s no reason you can’t go out if you want to, though.” Spike hefted the pan off the stove with one heat-resistant claw, sliding the eggs onto two plates that were already sitting on the table with toast on them. “Are you sure you don’t want them? They don’t take long to cook.”

“No. Why can’t Twilight write her own letters? Isn’t she a unicorn? It’d be easy for her.”

“She has more important things to focus on than using her magic for writing all the time.”

“Don’t you have more important things to focus on than doing her bidding all the time?” Pyralsprite growled with increasing irritation.

“What…?” Spike turned on her with confusion in his tone. Pyralsprite wanted to snap back at him, tell him what she’d been thinking since arriving… but it was obvious he liked Twilight Sparkle, and she was still a guest here. That hadn’t changed overnight.

“Urgh, forget it.” With her wings flapping in frustration Pyralsprite whirled away from the table and the little dragon beside it, making her way towards the door. “I’m gonna go have some fun, when you’re ready to join me you know where to find me.” She ignored Twilight Sparkle as she stomped through the living room and emerged into the warmth of the rising sun outside.

No sooner did she step out than she felt her stomach let out a low grumble. Darnit, she thought. She hadn’t eaten since setting out yesterday morning… maybe eggs wouldn’t have been good but it would have been food. A single cupcake wasn’t enough to fill her up, after all.

“Ugh… stupid Spike…” She grumbled and turned to march through the streets of Ponyville, letting her nose guide her toward something that smelled like food and not ponies. Unfortunately she didn’t find anything that wasn’t organic near what was obviously the shopping area of town. It was all fruits and vegetables, with a bunch of grass and flowers mixed in. It wasn’t to her taste, but it made her empty stomach grumble anyway.

“Oh my gosh… it’s a baby dragon!” A voice squeaked in stunned delight from nearby. Pyralsprite’s head jerked up in surprise as a wind rushed over her, carrying with it the scent of flowers and grass, but not nearly as overpowering as what she got from Spike’s friend Rarity. “How did another baby dragon appear in Ponyville? They’re so rare… I mean, oh, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t speak about you that way…” The pony muttered softly.

“Hmph… no, you shouldn’t. I’m not a baby.” Pyralsprite softened her tone, however. “And I came to town yesterday… Spike brought me here.”

“Oh, I should have known. He’s such a sweetheart.” The pony giggled. “My name’s Fluttershy, what’s yours?”

“I’m Pyralsprite.” She couldn’t pinpoint why, but something about this new pony’s demeanor was kind of nice.

“It’s so lovely to meet you, Pyralsprite.” The pony fell silent as Pyralsprite’s stomach grumbled against her will. “Oh my, you must be hungry! Come on, I’m sure I have something scrumptious for you up at my cottage.”

Pyralsprite fought through her blush to respond. “Sure, yeah, I’m coming.”

Pyralsprite followed the soft-spoken pony through Ponyville, past the clopping hooves of the other ponies until they left the noises of the town proper a distance behind them, which was a tremendous relief to her ears. Up here she was met more with the sound of a sweeping wind from the forest and the soft chattering of animals from inside the modest cabin that Fluttershy led her up to. Inside it was just as calm as the outside, and the chattering of animals was almost soothing. It reminded her of home.

“What would you like to eat?” Fluttershy asked in her caring, dulcet tone.

“You don’t have any quartz stones around by any chance, do you?” Pyralsprite knew it was a long shot, but it really was her favorite.

“Hehe, sure, I think I have a couple. Sometimes Rarity gives me gemstones she doesn’t need for her dresses.” Fluttershy marched into the next room, then returned a few minutes later with a plate piled with the sweet, sweet scent of several gemstones, including topaz, sapphire, and even a couple of quarts stones on the top.

“Oohhh… thank you so much.” Pyralsprite didn’t even wait for Fluttershy to finish putting the plate down before snapping at the gems, sweeping them into her mouth and happily munching right through the hard substance.

Fluttershy gasped and jerked back letting the plate clatter to the floor with the dragon’s snout in it. “Oh my, you really were hungry,” she giggled. “Well eat up little friend, and if you need more I can always get some for you.”

“Mmmh, thanks!” Pyralsprite licked some gemstone dust off her lips before digging in again. It wasn’t too long before her small dragon stomach had its fill and she sat back on her hindclaws, picking some stubborn chunks out of her teeth with one foreclaw. “I don’t know if I’ve ever gotten that much at once before… I’m so stuffed.”

“Oh? Don’t they feed you back at home?” Fluttershy asked.

“Sure, but they don’t just HAND any to you… you gotta earn it.”

“Oh my, that sounds… er… lovely…?”

“It makes sense, at least.” Pyralsprite faded into silence for a few moments before speaking again. “Hey Fluttershy, you acted like you knew another little dragon here in Ponyville… did you mean Spike? Do you know him?”

“Oh yes, he and Twilight Sparkle are some of my best friends.”

“Oh yeah? What do you think of how she treats him?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know, how she makes him do everything for her…” Pyralsprite looked down. “How she treats him like a slave?”

Fluttershy gasped. “A slave? She doesn’t treat him like that… she loves him, I know she does.”

Pyralsprite growled. “Loves him? I spent all night and all morning with them and all she did was tell him to do things. Fetch my book, write this letter, be home by seven so you can do all this stuff for me. It’s like he never even thought about what he wanted to do for himself, he spent all day doing things for everyone else, even the cupcake we got because he wanted me to try it.”

“He’s a kind and thoughtful boy, and he just likes being helpful,” Fluttershy insisted. “Is that such a bad thing?”

“Sure, if it was his idea to be helpful! All he does is what everyone else tells him to do! It’s like he doesn’t have a unique thought in his head!”

“Pyralsprite, that’s not true. He has all kinds of interests of his own.”

“Oh yeah? Like what?”

“He likes… well, gemstones… and… and Rarity…”

“And?” Pyralsprite demanded.

“Um…” Fluttershy drifted into silence.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.” Pyralsprite stood up. “Is that how ponies see dragons? As servants who spend their lives dedicated to doing whatever they’re supposed to do? Oh give him a couple of gems every once in a while and that’ll keep him happy.”

“B-but…” Fluttershy squeaked meekly.

Pyralsprite sighed and turned away from her. “Sorry, I don’t mean to snap at you. I don’t even have a right to say anything. They saved my life… I’m just gonna hang around until I heal, then I can get out of here and leave Spike to his thing…” she trailed off slowly. She didn’t want to leave Spike here to spend the rest of his life in servitude. He really was a nice boy, she’d rather take him with her, show him what life was really like…

“Oh Pyralsprite… I’m sure it’s not how you think it is.” Fluttershy walked up behind her. “Would it make you feel better if I spoke to Twilight about it myself?”

Pyralsprite thought about it for a moment. She barely knew Fluttershy, and yet she found herself trusting her regardless. She was the nicest creature Pyralsprite had ever met, by far. “Well… I guess it wouldn’t hurt. If you wouldn’t mind.”

“Of course I wouldn’t. What are friends for? Come on, I’ll take you back home to Twilight’s.” Fluttershy patted her head softly and turned to move outside with Pyralsprite, heading back into town with her toward the library without another word. Well-fed and grateful for someone who seemed open to her complaints, Pyralsprite was walking with a lighter step on the way back. Maybe Fluttershy really would get to the bottom of this, maybe she could even get Spike some better treatment from these ponies. That would be the next best thing to him going home with her.

“Spike, take a letter,” Twilight’s voice rang out from inside the library as the two of them approached the door.

“I got it!” Spike exclaimed amicably.

Pyralsprite growled deep in her throat, but Fluttershy either didn’t hear or didn’t react, knocking softly on the front door of the library.

“I’ve got it.” Spike wandered toward the door to pull it open, his voice reflecting his surprise. “Pyralsprite? And Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy spoke in her soft tone. “Good morning, Spike. I was hoping I could speak with Twilight Sparkle for a little while.”

“Of course!” Twilight’s clopping hooves approached the door. “I always have time for you, Fluttershy. We’ll be right back out in a minute, Spike.”

“I’ll be waiting!” Spike exclaimed before the two ponies turned to head into the back. Pyralsprite kind of wanted to listen in, but she didn’t want to be rude, and Spike looked like he really wanted her attention. She didn’t want to make more waves anyway… it was out of her claws now…

To Be Continued