• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 6,480 Views, 188 Comments

Past, Present, and Future - DragonShadow



When a dragon girl comes to Ponyville, she changes the way Spike sees his friends and himself, opening his eyes to the possibility of a life lived outside of Ponyville.

  • ...
17
 188
 6,480

15 - Preparing for the Storm

Chapter 15: Preparing for the Storm

The cackling fire in the fireplace was slim comfort as Celestia lay on the rug in the center of her living quarters. A piece of parchment sat crumpled on the floor in front of her, as if freshly emerged from the blaze amidst a blast of smoke and emerald magic, though it had been there for hours now. Her teacup trembled in her magical grasp as she brought it to her lips for a brief sip, then set it on the floor. The tea had grown cold since she'd fixed it, trying to calm nerves that refused to steady.

Her mind had been racing for hours, and only now was she finally able to pull her thoughts together enough to hammer out a plan. She climbed to her hooves swiftly, bringing a pen and parchment closer to her to scribble rapidly on the page. She then approached her faithful phoenix friend, Philomena.

"Hurry, please. Time is of the essence." She slipped the note into Philomena's claw. The bird squawked before whirling to dart out the window, its trail of fire vanishing beyond the horizon to the east within seconds.

Satisfied, Celestia pushed open the door to her private chamber to find her private guard standing by her door. "Captain Pommel. I need you to do something for me."

"Anything, Your Highness!" The guard leapt from the wall to gaze up at her, obvious worry in his eyes. Clearly he could see how strangely she was acting today.

"I want you to send word. I want a full evacuation of everypony along the Eastern coast."

Captain Pommel's eyes widened in shock. "P-Princess? Evacuate...? That's tens of thousands of ponies. Fillydelphia, Manehattan..."

"All of them." Celestia nodded as calmly as she could. "Send word swiftly, I don't know how much time they have. Bring everypony toward Canterlot and the western cities."

"Y-yes ma'am..." Captain Pommel still looked unsure, but he would never dare question his princess. He whirled to gallop down the hallway away from her, leaving the princess to head in the other direction down the cold, empty hallway.

She made her way to her sister's room, hesitating briefly before pushing the door open to let the light into the darkness.

"Nngh!" Luna's voice floated out from the dark bedroom. "Sister? What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but we need to stand together now."

"Stand together?" Luna's silhouette sat up in bed. "Sister, what has happened?"

"My worst fear." Celestia stepped into her sister's room and closed the door behind, her horn glowing to light the candle on the wall beside the door. "The Patriarch of the dragon lands has discovered the truth."

"The truth? What truth, sister?" Luna climbed up from the bed to approach her. "What have you done?"

It was not Celestia who responded. "The one thing that can bring an end to Equestria... besides me." Discord appeared beside them in a flash of light. No longer his usual nimble, careless self, he was hunched over toward the ground with a claw around his waist.

"Discord! You're hurt!" Celestia stepped toward him worriedly.

"I never did care for dragons very much..." Discord lifted his head to look up at her face. "I simply wanted to report that your princess has failed. The dragons are organizing. They will be on their way any time now..."

"I know... they sent a letter to inform me of what has happened." Celestia couldn't keep herself from trembling. "Is there nothing you can do now?"

"We both know my magic doesn't work on dragons. Order, harmony, those are the core of a dragon's existence, and the bane of my own." Discord grunted as he lifted to his feet, standing once again taller than the two princesses. "If you'll give me pardon, Your Highness, I wish to go back to Ponyville."

"What will you do? Retrieve Fluttershy and flee?" Celestia asked.

"What would you do if you were me, Princess?" Discord raised his eyebrow curiously.

Celestia stared at him for a long moment, then gave him a sad smile. "Probably that very thing."

"Then I bid you farewell." Discord bowed graciously. "Not knowing what will happen is what has kept my life worth living for all these centuries... but for what it's worth, it wouldn't be so bad to see Equestria live on."

"Thank you. We shall do our best." Celestia nodded solemnly before Discord popped away again in a pinpoint of light.

Luna turned her gaze on her sister, narrowing her eyes. "Explain. Now."

___


Rarity was lost in thought as she laid in the grass of Ponyville's large central park. Opalescence was running back forth across the grass, alternating between chasing Wynona and being chased by Wynona, while the other pets lounged around on the grass with their pony caretakers. Except for Owlowiscious of course, who was being taken care of by Fluttershy in his owner's absence. A task she had quite happily taken up.

Which was the strange part. Twilight Sparkle had left with nary a word to any of them. They had only Princess Celestia's letter from Canterlot telling them that she had left on a journey and not to worry about her. She hadn't even asked any of them to take care of her pet. Rarity had a bad, sinking feeling that Spike was involved somehow. She was the only one who had been there when he left, besides Twilight. There was such disappointment and betrayal in his eyes... what if they carried him to a bad place? And even worse, what if Rarity had done something to drive him to it?

"Are you okay, Rarity?" Fluttershy's voice cut through her thoughts. "You look a little down."

"I just can't help thinking about Spike." Rarity shook his head. "I never wanted to hurt him but... I feel like he left because of me... at least partly..."

"Oh Rarity..." Fluttershy sighed. "I don't know why Spike chose to leave the way he did, but even if it was because of you, he'll learn someday why you acted the way you did. You did nothing wrong..."

"That doesn't make me feel any better."

"I know... and time will help you too." Fluttershy flashed her friend a comforting smile.

Suddenly a bright light flashed beside her, and Discord lifted her off the ground with his lion's claw, squeezing her against his side. "Fluttershy! I've got a proposal!"

"A proposal?" Fluttershy turned immediately red. "Wh-what s-sort of p-p-pr-proposal?"

"I would like you and me-"

Fluttershy squeaked. "Discord! I... I don't even... I mean... b-but it's so..."

"-to go out and see the world together!"

"Oh..." Fluttershy seemed to deflate, though some redness remained. "Th-this is very sudden..."

"It certainly is." Rarity peered suspiciously up at the draconequus. "What's your game, Discord?"

"Yeah, I think you need to get yer mitts off of our friend until she gives you permission to pick her up like that." Applejack approached the scene sternly, flanked by Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

Discord waved off their concerns with his eagle talon. "Oh come now, I come in peace! No games! My only desire is to spend time with my dear friend!"

"Time with friends is always nice..." Fluttershy nodded meekly. "Where did you want to go?"

"Everywhere!"

"Everywhere? That's a lot of places... we'd be gone from Ponyville for a very long time."

"Just think of all the animals outside of Equestria you've never even heard of! Sights you never imagined! I could show you them all!"

"Outside... Equestria?" Fluttershy paled. "I've never been outside Equestria..."

"Then perhaps it's time you left!"

Rarity stepped forward again. "Discord, I think it is time for you to put her down. She clearly doesn't want to leave with you."

Rainbow Dash hovered up close to his head and punched her hooves together. "Yeah, let her go!"

Discord stammered, "but don't you-"

"Now!" Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash shouted in unison. Discord hesitated a moment before releasing his grip on Fluttershy, who squeaked and fluttered back in surprise.

"Discord, what has gotten into you?" Fluttershy hovered right back up to him, giving him a worried look and placing a hoof on his chest. "I've never seen you like this. Are you frightened?"

"Frightened? Him?" Rarity scoffed. "What could scare him?"

Discord was silent for far longer than Rarity thought he was even capable of before responding. "Losing Fluttershy..." He looked up at her with big, wet eyes. "I'm frightened of losing my only friend."

"Oh Discord... why would you be afraid of losing me?" Fluttershy rubbed her hoof gently over his chest. "I'm not going anywhere, I promise."

"That's the problem..." Discord straightened his back again. "Danger is coming for you, Fluttershy, and all of the ponies. I want to take you away from here where you'll be safe."

"Danger?" Fluttershy gasped.

"What sorta danger are we talkin' about?" Applejack narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"Draconic danger, Fluttershy. Dragons are coming to Equestria... angry, full grown dragons." Discord's tone was so serious Rarity thought for a moment there had to be some joke in it, but there was no laughter in his eyes.

"Wh-what?" Fluttershy's eyes grew as wide as saucers. "Why would they...?"

Rarity muttered in a low breathy voice, "Spike..."

"It doesn't matter why, you need to get out of here now, please. I can take you anywhere, I can take you everywhere."

Fluttershy was shaking as she turned to look back at her gathered friends. "N-no, Discord... I can't..."

"But Fluttershy, you hate dragons!"

"But I love my friends... and I can't abandon them, no matter what."

Applejack stepped forward. "Come on y'all, we should go talk to the mayor about this. Figure out what we're gonna do."

Rainbow Dash pumped one hoof into the air. "Right! We need a plan of attack!"

"Wait!" Discord stepped forward as the four ponies whirled to charge towards Town Hall. "Fluttershy, we can-"

Fluttershy slowed to call back. "I'm sorry Discord, but I just can't leave my friends... and I hope you won't either..." She flashed him a gentle smile, then turned to follow Rainbow Dash's multicolor streak across Ponyville.

"But there's nothing I can do..." Discord lowered his arm to his side in defeat. "I'm powerless..."

"Discord..." Rarity approached the lord of chaos. "Tell me the truth... does this involve Spike in some way? Did he... do something wrong?"

Discord gave her a blank look in return. "Spike?" He shook his head, regaining a bit of his usual jovial nature with something new to talk about. "Do something wrong? On the contrary, he behaved just as dragons do."

"Why does that not sound pleasant?"

"That depends on your perspective, really. I feel like if it wasn't for this whole 'racial tension' thing he would have fit in quite well at Fire Mountain."

"And as it is...?"

"He has been marked for death by the dragons just like your entire species. I suppose that's what we get for not being careful."

Rarity's eyes widened. "How could little Spikey Wikey cause something like that?"

"It's a long story, and I am thoroughly uninterested in repeating it."

"Very well, can you at least tell me where Spike is now?"

"Last time I checked he was on his way back to Canterlot to regroup with Princess Celestia." Discord stroked his beard curiously with one claw. "Why do you want to know? Are you actually still worried about him after what I just told you?"

"Of course I am! I'm his friend!"

"If I were you I would be fleeing for my life right now."

Rarity smirked. "Would you? And yet you stopped here to get Fluttershy instead of fleeing for your own."

"Yes, well... I..." Discord trailed off. "Touche."

"The others can handle things here... I've got to reach Canterlot!" Rarity turned to race away from the park at a full gallop, her hooves digging into the grass sharply with every step as she made her way toward the train station. Running like this was going to make her sweaty before long, but she didn't care. She had to reach Spike. Even if for no other reason than to ease her own conscience for her role in driving him away.

If she helped cause all of this, she would never forgive herself...

___


Twilight's balloon flew quickly over Equestria. The land below was deceptively peaceful, as quiet and beautiful as it had ever been, and yet Spike couldn't help but feel like there was a new stillness in it. As if the world was waiting with bated breath to see what would happen next. Waiting for the carnage to come. Waiting for the destruction Spike was bringing back in his wake. Even thinking about what was going to come, what Twilight had told him, made his stomach turn. He even considered hurling himself out of the balloon... this was all his fault...

"Spike?" He felt Twilight's hoof gently nudge his shoulder. "It's going to be okay. We'll find a way out of this. Princess Celestia always has a solution, she always has a plan. We'll make it through."

"We wouldn't need a plan if I wasn't so stupid..." Spike clenched his eyes shut. "All I've done since Pyralsprite got to Ponyville was make mistake after mistake... leaving Ponyville, going to the dragon lands, letting Discord stay, trusting Lemonsnout, spilling the truth to the Patriarch... and it all led to this... me leading the greatest threat Equestria has ever known right to it... if Equestria is destroyed it will be all my fault..."

There was silence in the balloon for a moment before Pyralsprite finally spoke up from her position lying against the side of the basket. "Lemonsnout was right..."

"What?" Spike looked back in surprise.

"I did exactly what he said... I ran away from home because I couldn't take it anymore. I have never believed in what they did, I never liked the dragon way, and for that I was always separated... always the useless little stupid runt who couldn't even conquer her own home... who had to have Lemonsnout fight for her place to live. I ran away because I couldn't handle it anymore... and when I stumbled into you in Ponyville, I found in you someone who thought like I did, and..." Pyralsprite turned away from him, "I thought if I brought you back things would be better. Spike, if this is anyone's fault, it's mine. If I'd never run away from my problems instead of dealing with them, you would be back in Ponyville with your friends where you should be. None of this would have happened. So don't blame yourself."

Spike moved toward her, kneeling down beside her. "You've never thought like them?"

"I told myself they were right... over and over I tried to believe it. I wanted to be like them. But somehow I was never able to." Pyralsprite shook her head. "I wanted to live like them because they're my people, you know?"

"Do you think that's why you didn't grow?" Spike took one of her smaller claws in his now-larger claw. "Maybe it really is true that only the bad dragons, the greedy and selfish ones, grow like that."

"But why me?" Pyralsprite lifted her head slightly. "Why did I have to be different?"

"I don't know..." Spike pulled her into a soft hug. "But I don't blame you, Pyralsprite. You did the same thing I did... so if one of us messed up, I guess we both did."

Pyralsprite snuggled into his chest, wrapping her forelegs around his shoulders. "I'm not sure if that's comforting or depressing..."

Spike stroked her back softly. "Me neither... but you're not alone. And I want you to know that..."

"Thank you..."

"Twilight, I think I spy a dragon in the sky!" Zecora jerked her hoof back behind him in alarm.

"What? There's no way they could organize fast enough to be here already!" Twilight whirled to rush to the back of the basket, with Spike and Pyralsprite springing to their feet as well. "Oh... wow... that's not one of the dragons from Fire Mountain."

"It isn't?" Spike cocked his head confusedly at the sight of the dragon. It was barely bigger than the balloon over their heads, downright puny for a dragon, but its scaled glittered with prismatic light in the direct sunlight shining down on it. Surprisingly, there was a phoenix flying alongside the beautiful creature, leaving a trail of flame behind it. "Who is it?"

"That?" Twilight stepped away from the basket's edge to watch the dragon pass, its powerful wingbeats blowing their balloon off to one side as it shot straight toward Canterlot Castle. "That is your mother, Spike."

"My m-mother?" Spike stammered in shock, his eyes locking on the glittering form as it spiraled towards Canterlot Castle, which itself was just coming into view in front of them. He couldn't even find any more words. He had only rarely wondered about his real mother, and now to see her... it was like he was having a dream he had forgotten about a long time ago. She was there now, at Canterlot Castle, just waiting for him.

He would finally get to meet his mother for the first time.