• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 2,644 Views, 100 Comments

Blood Brandy's Snippet Storage Shed - Blood Brandy



An Assortment of unfinished ideas, pony plot bunnies and random snippets. Content tagged at start of each part.

  • ...
6
 100
 2,644

Spike's Mask

Spike's Mask

Characters: Spike, Mane 6

Tags: Dark

(((((((((())))))))))

With a soft creak, a door opened into a small house on the outskirts of Ponyville, accompanied by hushed whispers.

"I don't think this is a good idea."

"Well you want to know what happened, don't you?"

"W-well, I-"

"Aw, hush, if she don't want to be here, then let her go."

"Girls!" Twilight whispered harshly, fully decked out in her black ninja suit, "We have to hurry, Rarity and Pinkie will only be able to keep Spike busy for so long."

Yes, Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash had broken into Spike's house. Well, not necessarily broken in, since Twilight had a spare key for emergencies, and for them it was sort of an emergency, so technically she wasn't breaking any laws...

Or at least that's what Twilight told herself to try and ease her conscience, but she knew full well what they were doing was an invasion of privacy at best, and a felony at worst, but...

They were worried.

For the longest time, they had seen Spike start to struggle with his instincts more and more as he grew, becoming withdrawn, sometimes lashing out, becoming overly protective of his things which, seemingly, included them (Something that almost got out of hand a few times when one of them would go out on a date).

Then, several months ago, he just disappeared, leaving only a short note that he'd gone for help.

The girls had worried themselves sick for almost a whole month before he returned, but he was different.

Before he left, he had looked like, well, a dragon, as big as the jerks he'd met at the Migration, with sharp edges and an all around predatory look. But when he came back, well, he was still big, maybe about as large as Celestia herself, with a similar wing-span, but he was just...different, he had a calmer appearance and just looked like, well, not as much of a dragon. He'd become mostly quadrapedal, although he still had his clawed hands, his scales had lightened from the harsher shade of violet he'd gained to the old, calmer Purple he'd had in his youth.

And his personality had changed, admittedly, for the better. Yes, he still had some sort of greed, but about as much as any pony, nowhere near what he'd struggled with before disappearing.

He'd done something, changed himself, and Twilight had to figure out how.

"Why are we even doing this again?" Rainbow asked, sounding rather annoyed, "I mean, isn't Spike better off now?"

"But we don't know how, there are any number of ways magically changing one's body could have disastrous side effects, not to mention changes to his mind," Twilight explained again, looking through the single bookshelf in Spike's sitting room, "We have to find some sort of clue since he won't say anything."

"Well, what all would we be lookin' for, Twi'?" Applejack asked, looking at some of the pictures on the wall.

"Yeah," Rainbow sighed, "I mean, it's not like he's gonna have some journal titled 'How I Did It'."

The girls stopped at the clank of a lever and gears spinning. They looked up to see Fluttershy had accidentally knocked into a particularly high picture, turning it a little lopsided.

"Oops," The yellow pegasus muttered, before a few louder clacks sounded, causing a large portrait of Cadance and a younger Spike to swing open, revealing a safe.

The four mares stared in silence for several moments.

"Okay, so what do we do now?" Applejack asked, "'Cause I don't know about y'all, but I don't know how to crack a safe."

Twilight sighed as her horn glowed, the dial on the safe spinning wildly back and forth for nearly three minutes before they heard a loud click, turning the handle and opening the safe.

"Okay," Rainbow said, "honestly, Twilight, it's a bit weird you know how to do that."

"Just see what's in there," Twilight groaned, annoyed.

Reaching into the safe, Rainbow Dash pulled out a small, wooden chest, maybe the size of a hat box, a few jewels falling out behind it. Bringing the box down, Twilight carefully opened it to reveal...A Mask, a wooden mask shaped like a dragons face, like Spike's before he'd left, it's teeth bared in an ferocious growl that seemed almost real, like it was ready to snap at them.

"This is it?" Rainbow asked angrily, picking up the mask, "All this for a stupid mask?"

"Rainbow," Twilight hissed, "This could be an important clue."

"Oh, yeah," Rainbow said sarcastically, "The cheap looking mask is the secret to the magic."

"Rainbow Dash, there are several branches of magic that have been lost for centuries, for all we know, that mask could be dangerous!"

"I could get better masks than this at a fair, Twilight" Rainbow Dash said, holding the mask close to her face, "Beware of the cheap magic m-ACK," She pegasus stumbled back, chocking as the mask gripped onto her face. Her friends moved to help her, but before they could, they were stopped but a flash and a deafening scream.

When the girls blinked the spots from their eyes, they found themselves looking at a large, cerulean dragon with a line of bright, multicolored spines along her back.

"Rainbow Dash?" Twilight gasped.

"A-Are you alrigh'?" Applejack asked, Fluttershy cowering behind her.

"I...I," The dragoness looked at herself, clinching her clawed hands, "I...Feel AWESOME!" She could feel the power coursing through her body, "I feel like I could take on the world! Heck, I feel like I could take down Discord, Nightmare Moon and the changelings on my own!" Grinning as her hearts raced, Dash looked at her friends, "Why the heck would Spike give this up?"

"For a very good reason," A voice answered from the door, the girls turning to find the dragon in question, "Rainbow Dash, take that mask off, now!"

"Aww, do I have to?" Dragon Dash whined.

"Yes," Spike growled.

"But you aren't even using it."

"Take the mask off NOW!"

Dragon Dash growled at Spikes tone, how dare this shrimp order her! "No! it's MINE!" She back-clawed Spike into a wall, "You were wasting this, you had your chance and you just tossed this into a box, and now it's MINE, this strength, this power is MINE!" She yelled, a stream of blue fire screaming forth and enveloping Spike, causing the other mares to scream.

Before any of them could truly react, an arm reached out from the stream of fire, wrapping around Dash's muzzle and cutting off the fire, another reaching to the crest of the spines on top of her head, roughly pulling away from her. With another flash, the dragon and once again pegasus stumbled back from each other, the latter both feeling the crash from the energy high and the low from realizing what she'd done, to her friend and his home.

"Spike...Spike, I-"

"Get out, all of you," Spike growled, gripping the mask tightly.

"Spike," Twilight started hesitantly, "It was an accident, we were just worried and she-"

"Accident!?" Spike yelled, "You broke into my home, went through my things and broke into my safe!" Taking a calming breath, Spike scowled at his friends, "Just....just leave me alone, I need to calm down before I do something I'll regret."

The mares left with their heads held low, leaving Spike with only the mask to glare at.

Author's Note:

Okay, basically Spike starts to lose himself to his dragon side and finds a way to put his negative attributes into a Mask, ala Majora's mask. Drama ensues.

I would see it moving on with Spike having to face certain drawbacks of this method, and even eventually having to use the mask himself to face some horrible enemy, and risk losing himself for good.

What do you think?