• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 2,634 Views, 100 Comments

Blood Brandy's Snippet Storage Shed - Blood Brandy



An Assortment of unfinished ideas, pony plot bunnies and random snippets. Content tagged at start of each part.

  • ...
6
 100
 2,634

Loss

Loss

Character Tags: Twilight Sparkle, Prince Blueblood, Princess Celestia, Mane Six, Spike

Content Tags: Character Death, Sad

(((((((((())))))))))

She saw it as soon as it was mentioned, she saw him sleeping, unaware of the danger he was in...

She heard everypony laughing...were they cruel, or just stupid?

She heard somepony's voice scream his name...It may have been her own...

She saw him falling in, but...No matter how much things seemed to slow, she couldn't move fast enough to save him...

She felt the freezing chill of the water as she gripped him close, and they were in the hospital in a flash of light...

As much as she didn't want to let him go, she let the doctors go to work...She hoped and wept...

When the doctor came out of the operating room a half hour later...She saw his downcast face and only wept...

(((((((((())))))))))

Twilight's expression was blank. She sat in the room in silence, not even given the comfort of the regular beeps one would hope to find in a hospital. alone save for the empty, blood stained bed in front of her.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. He'd promised to always be there to support her, just as she promised to be there for him. They were best friends, for the longest time, he was her only friend...

Friends weren't supposed to break promises.

She had nothing else to do, couldn't think of anything else now that the letter was sent, nothing but to stare at the spot he should be in, recovering.

"Twi'?" a voice drawled from the door. She was the third, or maybe the forth, to try and speak with Twilight. She'd thought it was funny, she saw him before Twilight had noticed, and she'd thought it was funny.

"Twi', c'mon, let's get you outta here and get you some-"

"He was smart, you know," Twilight spoke for the first time in hours, her voice cracked and throat sore from the crying she'd done. "Smarter than most gave him credit for."

AJ was somewhat reassured that Twilight was talking again, "Ah know he was, Sug-"

"Do you?" the unicorn cut in, her stare still on the bloodied bed, "Do you really? Did you know he had degrees? Masters in Accounting from the University of Manehattan, Masters in Mineralogy, Masters in Ingeous Petrology and Metamorphic Petrology from Canterlot University, did you really know that?" Twilight asked, her voice steadily rising, "Did you know he was going to try for his first doctorate before we came here? That he chose to stay here, that he chose to stay as my assistant, even when there was so much more that he could have done? DID YOU, APPLEJACK!?"

The farmer stepped back a bit, "W-well, no, Ah-"

"No you didn't," Twilight ground out, facing Applejack with bloodshot eyes, "Because you didn't know anything. You all just thought it would be funny to drop somepony into the freezing water that could probably still throw a full grown pony into shock, because hypothermia is just so dang funny, isn't it AJ!? IT'S FUNNY, ISN'T IT? HA-HA-HAAA!"

The farmer flinched with every fake laugh from the maddened mare, "Twi-Twilight, we didn't know, we're-"

"Oh, you didn't know!? Well that just makes it so much rutting better, doesn't it!?" Twilight yelled, "I'm sure if you trot on down to the mourge and tell him you didn't know, Spike will just pop right back up and say everything's fine! Right? Because You didn't know, well you know what? I can't be sure what will happen if I drop someone Mac's size in near freezing water, maybe I should knock him unconscious and we can find out!" Twilight pressed her face against AJ's, growling, "What do you say, Applejack? Should we find out so we know, maybe have Applebloom confirm our findings, or should we assume it a bad idea to be dropping anypony in nigh-frozen water?"

Applejack looked away, she knew Twilight was speaking out of hurt and anger, but it hurt all the same.

"Miss Twilight?"

"WHAT?" Twilight roared, her ire redirected at Nurse Tenderheart.

The nurse stood surprisingly steady, having stormed the anger of loss too many times before, "The Princess is waiting for you outside the morgue."

Both earth ponies watched the anger melt away from the unicorn, replaced again with sorrow, "Thank you, Nurse."

"And I'm sorry, Miss Twilight." Loosing a patient was always hard, but loosing one so young, such a thing made her and her sister think of quitting more than once.

"You did what you could, Nurse," Twilight said softly, "You all did, and i thank you."

"Don't thank me for failing," Tenderheart said, walking away quietly.

Twilight followed into the hall, greeted by the girls, most still in their Wrap-Up vests. They tried to talk, but she ignored them as she brushed past. They followed her through the hospital, down to the basement morgue, where she was greeted by a group of ponies. The princesses, they recognized, Celestia and Luna speaking to a doctor, but they were accompanied by a pink alicorn mare and a unicorn stallion they didn't recognize, the latter stoically holding the former as she sobbed.

"Princess, I," try as she might, Twilight couldn't think of what to say, of anything for this situation. Her head low, she settled on a low, "I'm sorry."

After a moment, Celestia bent her neck low, quietly speaking with her student, who nodded. Taking a moment to steady herself with a shuddering breath, the unknown unicorn and alicorn rising from their seats, Celestia turned, "I...I believe we are as ready as we can be, doctor"

"Very well, Princess," Doctor Scalpel bowed, opening the doors for the royal party, the rest of the girls staying back as they watched the royals and Twilight approach the small, sheet covered figure on the table. Steps seemed to become heavier as Twilight and her teacher approached, their hooves feeling as if they weighed tonnes as they beside the slate.

"No," a bare whisper passed through the morgue.

The sight when the sheet was pulled back was heart wrenching to any Equestrian citizen, the Elements of Harmony watched as their beloved princess chocked out a sob, crumbling from the weight of the truth setting in, "No, NO, NO!"

Celestia had to be supported by her fellow alicorns as she sobbed over the young dragon's body. Even the stoic unicorn stallion seemed to fight back tears as he turned to the doctor.

"Members of the Royal Guard will arrive soon to secure his remains and have them moved to Canterlot for burial. I'll be seeing to any paperwork needed."

"Of course," Doctor Scalpel nodded, "I-If it's any solace, he was sleeping when it happened, between that and the shock, he most likely never felt a thing."

"GIVE ME BACK MY BABY!"

"Doctor," The unicorn ground out as Celestia's sobs increased, "That provides absolutely no solace at all. The paperwork, please?"

"Ye-yes, Prince Blueblood," Scalpel scurried off. The stoic prince turned to the five other locals, looking on in horrified awe as their beloved leader broke down.

"I believe it would be best if you left, ladies."

"Hey, buddy, Spike was our friend too and-"

"Perhaps I should rephrase myself," The Prince cut of the polychromatic pegasus as a group of guardsponies entered the hallway, "This is a private, family affair, leave or you will be escorted out."

((((((((((Timeskip))))))))))

Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy and Applejack sat in the third row from the front, watching as pony after pony after well known, influential, weeping pony stood beside the small coffin and talked. Some told funny little anecdotes, that brought the rare smile to attendees, some told of awesome tales the girls would have never associated with the baby dragon they thought they knew, and some, like the normally calm and poised Fleur De Lis, simply broke down at the podium and needed to be escorted away. Even Spitfire, Rainbow Dash's idol, barely got out three sentences before she broke down and started beating on the coffin, yelling at the portrait of Spike for daring to leave them before she was dragged away by her teammates in a sobbing mess.

With each eulogy, the girls started to realize they knew less and less about the dragon they claimed as a friend. They hadn't known he'd saved Fancy Pants' life, they hadn't known he was the one that had helped Fleur De Lis to become a model, or that he'd helped Spitfire or so many other ponies to be who they were today.

After nearly two hours, it was Prince BlueBlood stepping slowly to the podium, the solemn unicorn looking out over the crowed in silence for almost a minute. The girls thought they'd end up seeing the stoic prince break down as well when he finally spoke.

"Spike, to me, was something of an annoying little punk," It took AJ and Fluttershy to hold Rainbow Dash down, seeing the unaffected looks on most of the ponies near them, a few even smiled sadly as the prince carried on, "He mouthed off to me as I did to him, insulted me as I did to him, we fought and argued over even simple things. He was a smart-ass little runt and I, as he would say, and pardon our language, was a 'douche of a stud-whore'."

"I stand here today, proud to say Spike was not a cousin to me, but a brother. I was happy to aid him when he needed it, and not afraid to put him in his place, just as he did to me. As a little brother, as a prince, he always made me proud, and there was no other I would want to have my back, even after that time he surprised me with an electric razor to the back of my mane."

Letting the chuckles die down, Blueblood looked to the coffin, "Over the course of this service, those of you who never met him or didn't truly know him have heard a lot of stories of how Spike touched the lives of others, in a number of surprising ways for a dragon, a race many consider to be just short of being monsters. Spike may not have been the kind of dragon you would expect, he may not have even been the type of dragons that his own kind would consider a real dragon, but he was the kind of dragon he wanted to be. For many of you, he was a friend, a pillar of strength, an anchor, for some of you he was a rival, for a good number of you, he was a secret love, and may I say I'm sure he's sorry to leave so many broken hearts."

"Those of you who didn't know him will leave here today will leave with a few interesting stories, some of you will take home a few nice anecdotes, or you may have simply spent the service with you head in the clouds, and I pity you, because you never truly knew this amazing little fellow."

"But, I think I pity the rest of us just as much, for we will leave this place to a world that is just that much emptier. Without our friend and confidant. Without a crush or colleague. A place at the table, at the gathering, and in our hearts that is now empty. All we can do now is support each other, and remember fondly our dear Spike."

"To many ponies he was many things, but I am proud to say he was my annoying, bratty, mouthy little brother."

Author's Note:

That's right, I killed him off. I suddenly felt like writing a Winter Wrap-Up tragedy, and I find I kinda like writing a fun, 'Big bro' Blueblood.

Might add more or a part two or something after a while.