• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 3,394 Views, 91 Comments

Trixie Goes Purple - Art Inspired



After taking some advice from Twilight and Rarity, Trixie uses a spell to alter her coat and mane color. As a result, she somehow came out looking rather similar to a good friend of her's, though that's not all she duplicated.

  • ...
25
 91
 3,394

Part Two: The First Atonement

Trixie Goes Purple

The First Atonement


“Trixie... Trixie! Triiiiixiiiieeee!” Twilight yelled, causing her friend to turn around with a still slightly distracted face. Casting the usual look back, the show mare beheld poor Twilight completely entangled by pink aura, her hooves poking through and fighting to merely touch the ground, her wings wide open to help slow her down. A small part of Trixie’s mind informed her that this might just be the reason behind feeling more heated and weighed down than normal.

Blinking a few times, Trixie calmed herself down enough to return Twilight to land, who in turn dusted herself off. “Um.” Was all the unicorn could muster.

“While I’m happy that you’re excited, I gotta ask…” Twilight fixed her with a bemused look and an eyebrow raised. “Do you even know where we’re headed?”

“Why, yes! The Chariot Bubble-waggon!”

“I figured as much. Don’t worry, just follow me. And… Let’s take our time, ok?” Trotting a little ahead of Trixie, Twilight motioned for her to follow.

Passing through the town, Trixie and Twilight began to see more ponies as they approached the marketplace proper. Slowly, more and more strangers began to recognize the blue coated show mare. Thy reacted in many ways towards her presence. Most of them, however, were quite unfavorable. Tilting her head down, Trixie began to walk slower to try and avoid the gazes of those judging her.

“Twilight, they’re staring at me…”

Twilight looked to the left, and then the right. While she whispered to Trixie, she also turned down a more secluded street, guiding Trixie along. “Relax, this is what you’re here for, to apologize to everypony. To forgive and forget.”

The nearer they came to the end of the road, the more tempted Trixie was to give up then and there, and go back to performing for random ponies in random towns. The only thing that kept her from doing so was them reaching the lighter end of their path. the Carousel Boutique stood right across the way.

Now, it was Trixie snatching up the lead, and once again dragging Twilight along. “Aha! See?” Trixie asked. “I knew where it was!” Twilight, bouncing along behind her, could only roll her eyes.

Entering the shop, the Jingle of the overhead bell signaled the stop of a tell-tale sewing machine. From the back of the establishment, A sing-song voice announced, “Coming!” It’s owner soon began emerging from the back room. Quickly, Twilight took the front, nonchalantly blocking the sight from Rarity.

“First, I need to talk to you about something,” Twilight said,

While they talked, Trixie wandered warily in circles around the store, gliding a hoof along seemingly every dress, shoe, or random fabric roll. Eventually, her eyes fell upon a silver plate of armor crafted just for mares. It was the same type princesses wear. With a twinkle in her eyes, she put it on one of the tables while saying, “Oooh, shiny!”

Considering Trixie was busy analyzing the armor, Twilight was able to try and figure out a way to keep Rarity from exploding. Through the loose crack, Rarity gasped at who she saw looking around at her establishment. It was possibly the second most undesirable pony she’d ever had the discomfort of merely talking with. Blueblood held first place in that competition.

“Wh-wh-why?! Twilight, do you not remember what she put me through? I mean, us?”

Twilight calmed her friend to the best of her abilities. “Look, Rarity, she’s changed! She’s not that cold hearted mistress you dealt with last time around, and she’s hardly the mane wrecker from the time before that.”

With a sudden, resounding crash echoing through the front sections of the store, Rarity could only fix Twilight with a disapproving glance matched only by Celestia at very rare times. “Changed, huh?” Without a second thought, or a moment to let Twilight speak, Rarity marched out the door.

“How dare you come into this store and start vandalizing my wears! Get-” She saw Trixie standing by a priceless looking vase. Nothing was broken, no windows missing, the roof hadn’t caved in. “Out?” She took a step back and searched, but found no damages inflicted anywhere. “Then… what was that noise?”

“Nothing!” Trixie said, her muzzle scrunching immediately after her lips allowed the word to leave. Though she could’ve gotten away with it, Trixie still felt guilty. That’s one emotion she always thought to be mere rumors spread around. Thanks to recent events, though, she began to comprehend its origins.

Just before Rarity was able to try and excuse her rude outburst, starting with, “Oh, how could I be so foolish,” Trixie sighed, stopping Rarity from saying much of anything else.

“Wait…” Rarity looked back up. “I broke your vase, and then used magic to repair it before you came out.” She looked at Rarity with these big, pearly, sorrowful eyes, and said, “Sorry for lying.”

If one were to look upon Rarity’s face, they would have seen the pure rage on it. With a sudden exhale of breath, Rarity closed her eyes, brought her hooves up to massage her temple, and sighed. “Mmmr, very well. At least you came clean about it.” Donning a polite smile, Rarity looked to her guests. “So, why come here first? What could somepony like me help you with?”

“Well,” Twilight began, “You see, we-”

“Trixie and Twilight wish to go shopping!”

Rarity let out a girlish squeal of delight. “Ah, something about that… Any feminine mare can enjoy it.”

Twilight cheekily smirked. “Then I found something you two like?”

“No,” Rarity said. “And do you know why? Because I don’t go shopping with vase breakers, mane ruiners, city enslavers, and farm girl ticklers!”

Rarity turned around, headed for the back door with Twilight following. Once the door was shut with Trixie alone yet again to think about what the fashionista had said, Rarity and Twilight on the other end of the wall talked. Well, it was more like an argument, if anything.

“You bring her to my shop, she breaks my vase-”

“That vase is perfectly fine, Rarity! It doesn’t have a scratch on it! You make it sound like I’m gonna walk out there and see everything destroyed.”

Rarity rolled her eyes, claiming, “I’ll tell you what. If she just apologized to me for all that she’s done, not just the vase, then I’ll try being more friendly towards her. How’s that sound?”

“A compromise?” Twilight asked. “Alright, if she doesn’t by the end of the day, then you don’t have to deal with her ever again. Sound good to you?”

Rarity shuffled her hooves, and confidently said, “Very well, then.”

Twilight gave a small sigh. At least it was a small victory. Upon the two walking out, Rarity quickly started eyeing Trixie who stood staring at the sheet of armor on the counter, it reflecting her wobbly lips.

The very second those two locked eyes, Trixie bursted into tears, much like a scolded foal. “Trixie is sorrrrrryyyyyyy! Trixie just wants to make friends! Please don’t hate her!” She began throwing herself around Rarity in a tight hug, sobbing into that pristine, white coat of Rarity's.

Twilight, for the most part, was trying not to laugh at the face that Rarity was showing. A mixture of horror and glee, complete with a twitch from her eyebrow. “W-well, at… at least you… Apologized…?” She managed through gritted teeth.

Twilight simply watched, finally releasing a few chortles she’d been holding in. “Need some help?” she teased.

Ignoring Twilight, Rarity raised her hooves to try and remove the clingy unicorn from herself before she ruined her perfectly maintained coat. “I think I can let it slide, darling. I must say… It does clash on occasion with the rest of my shop.”

“No,” Trixie cried after standing straight. “I mean everything!” A tear slid down. “What I did to your mane, making you make me dresses day and night; I’m sorry about all that stuff…”

Twilight walked up next to Rarity, giving her this look that said, “Haha, now you’ve gotta be friends with her.” In reality, she was actually saying, “If I’m willing to forgive her after everything she’s put me through, surely you can do the same.”

Rarity bowed her head in defeat. “Oh, fine… Just don’t call me Surely!” She looked up, gave a quick huff, and began, “Trixie, I forg-”

Before the words could barely get out of Rarity’s mouth, Trixie threw herself at the unicorn, chanting, “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Mmh, quite,” Rarity said with a bit lip. “Would you ladies care for some tea? I was already needing a break.”

Trixie shook her head. “What’s with everypony and tea?” She caught Twilight snickering. “I mean, coffee’s way better!”

While Rarity and Twilight had tea, at Trixie’s insistence, Trixie enjoyed a magically brewed cup of what she enjoyed most. A delightful blend of Saddle Ground’s richest with a hint of coconut. “Mmm… This, this is the best you could ever find.”

Rarity sat on the other side of the counter, rubbing her horn and mumbling to herself, “You’d better enjoy it, too.”

After another sip of her tea, Twilight asked Trixie, “So, what new spells have you learned?”

“Oh, basic things like cosmetics and bright, fancy lights,” Trixie replied with a short shrug.

Rarity looked to Trixie with a curious look. “Oh, ho? Cosmetics? Would you be talking about makeup and hair styling spells?”

“Well, I know one or two…”

“Oh my dear! You simply must learn some! I have to say, when Twilight showed me that book of her’s about that… Why, my morning routine was cut right in half, and I’ve never looked better, too! Just don't actually try grow your hair. The results are disastrous!”

Rarity had a point. Trixie’s time spent washing, shampooing, conditioning, combing, and so much more would be greatly reduced with the aid that came from magic. “Actually, I’ve been working on one in particular. It’s supposed to change your mane and coat to a new color.”

Rarity nodded. “I know that one! If you don’t like it, it’ll simply cancel out by midnight and changing it back. If you want to keep it, do the spell again, and it’ll stay that way until you do the spell yet again.”

Trixie continued, “And, I’ve added my personal touch to it. My favorite colors in the world will be the focus, the perfect tint.”

Twilight intervened. “Whoa, whoa, wait a minute here. You’ve been tampering with previously made magic? Even Rarity knows that can have dangerous consequences.”

“Hey,” Rarity uttered, a bit insulted by Twilight’s remark.

Trixie blushed, and predictably said, “Sorry…”

“Anyways,” Rarity offered, “tell you two what. I’ve got some new inventory for Twilight to see. While I do that, why don’t you go back to the treehouse and wait? We won’t be gone long. You see, my new stock is kind of private. When Twilight and I get back, we can all go get something to eat.”

Twilight turned to Rarity. “Are you sure it’s a good idea to leave her alone?”

Rarity chortled. “She’s a big girl, Twilight! Your house isn’t too far away, and besides, don’t you want to see what you’ll potentially be wearing?”

Twilight gave a small gasp. “Oh, Rarity, you did get my dress, right?”

With a sudden, shocked, though overly dramatic gasp, Rarity stood. “That’s right!” She grabbed Twilight by the hooves and pulled her up jokingly. “Come with me!”

Before Twilight could even cope with what was happening, she was yanked into the back room. The door opened, her jumping out and clinging to the knob, saying, “We’ll be right back!”

With that, she was slung back into the other room, leaving Trixie with nothing more but a few final sip of her drink. Enjoying that, she waited patiently with fresh thoughts still looming around in her head. Meanwhile, Twilight came upstairs to see a dress blazoned with nearly glowing colors, gems aligning the neck, and all around tacky accessories.

“See, Twilight!” Rarity pouted. “This is what happens when you let those unartistic Canterlot unicorns try and do MY job.”

Twilight circled it, looking up and down. “Oh, jeeze. Third world waist leather, chest tucking wire… Rarity, this is a disaster waiting for me to wear it!”

“Then you’ll do it?” Rarity asked, behaving like if Twilight didn’t do it, the world would end.

“Kneel,” Twilight said. Rarity did so. “As princess, I hereby give you all rights and privileges to destroy this tacky attempt at modern day fashion, and make me a new tacky attempt at modern day fashion, but in the good way,” she said with a laugh.

Rarity could’ve died at that moment with absolute joy, immediately jumping into the air, wanting to let Twilight know all about what she could do and how she planned on doing it. Of course, Twilight would need to model it, but that wasn’t much of an issue. After all, to be able to create a dress for royalty? It was a dressmaker’s dream. Then, a cough from behind sounded.

Twilight and Rarity turned to the source of the noise, seeing Trixie looking at them pointedly. A small huff escaped from Twilight’s mouth. “Trixie! I’m so sorry… But, this is kind of how Rarity gets. Why don’t you head back to the Library and look at those spells? I truly think they’ll be helpful if you’re going to go meddling with your magic. You’ll find them on the back wall, under vanity spells next to transmogrification spells.”

Trixie looked slightly hurt, but quickly shook it away. “Very well, Twilight Sparkle. Trixie will go and look at these spells, although she’d much rather watch you get dressed. Eh, don’t think I won’t hold you two to lunch!”

And with that, Trixie walked to the door, looked back hastily to wave goodbye, and left the two to their work. Rarity and Twilight could only stare her way even after she politely closed the door.

After bidding Trixie farewell, they shook their heads in amusement and resumed the task of correcting this horrible fashion mistake.