• Published 11th Nov 2013
  • 1,760 Views, 124 Comments

A dragon a Dozen - Cobaltin



Spike been the only dragon around Ponyville for 8 years. Suddenly, a new dragon shows up while things heat up between Dragons and Ponies in Canterlot. Spike quickly realizes that things are about to get a whole lot more dragon.

  • ...
8
 124
 1,760

Old wounds, New scars and a Love interest

“D...Dating?” Spike said in a quivering voice as his ears dropped fast. Both Twilight and Cobalt looked at each other from the corner of their eye, knowing what was going through Spike’s mind as his breath started to shorten and his eyes were slowly losing their battle to hold in his tears.

“Yes, dearest, for about a month or so. I was going to tell you all sooner, I just never had the time, my schedule being so busy and such.” Rarity said with a blush as she explained with a tad bit of embarrassment. Spike could feel everything in his body go heavy, his heart felt like it was going to fall apart and his throat had the mother of all lumps in it.

“I met her backstage,” Silk started with his low voice, the slightest hint of an english accent in his pronunciation. “Her and I were rushing to get the models on the runway when we bumped into each other. The moment I saw the spark in her eyes, that magnificent flowing mane and her perfect stature, I knew she was someone I wanted to see again” He said proudly, making Rarity push him playfully before giving him a peck on the cheek.

“I gotta go.” Spike said dryly as he got up and stormed out , giving Silk the dirtiest look possible as he walked past him. Spike walked out and slammed the door behind him, leaving everyone in a bit of a surprised state.

“...hold on, If you’ll excuse me” Cobalt said as he quickly got up and tip toed over everyone before going outside to catch up with him. Everyone looked at each other in confusion, the only person to really know that Spike still had any feelings for Rarity was Twilight since he told everyone he wasn’t looking for anyone at the time.

“Was… Was it something I said?” Silk said whilst scratching his head in perplexion.

~~

Cobalt looked around outside for Spike, but it was too dark to really see anything particularly far in the distance.

“Spike!? Where are you dude!?” Cobalt shouted out as he sniffed the air, trying to catch Spike’s scent in the air. After walking out to the town for a couple minutes, he caught the sound of a quiet sobbing. He ran in the direction of the sound and caught Spike walking slowly with his arms crossed and his back slouched. “Spike… c’mon man, I smell another storm coming, we should go back.” Cobalt said softly, trying to calm Spike down. Spike turned to him with his eyes puffy and full of hate, his breathing choppy and deep and his claws blaring out and razor sharp.

“Screw. That. I’m not going back in there” He said with a dry tone, his voice quivering with emotion. Cobalt sighed heavily and frowned.

“C’mon dude, you knew that this could happe-”

“You know what? I don’t care! I don’t care that I knew, I don’t care that I should have known, I don’t give one damn hell about that bull! I worked for 10 years to try to get her love and I got… I got shit! This bastard walks in for 5 minutes and she’s bending to him like she’s his lap dog for pony’s sake! It’s not fair. It’s not fair! AAAAARRGH!” Spike screamed out at the top of his lungs as he kicked a trash can in the street, making it fly a few feet into the streets, the content within spilling everywhere.

“Spike, hey, c’mon man, you can’t act like this just because you didn’t get what you wanted, you’re not a feral. Now c’mon, stop acting immature and get back to the house.” Cobalt said whilst putting his hand on Spike’s shoulder. Out of rage, Spike turned around with his claw out to push Cobalt’s claw off his. In doing so, he accidentally hit Cobalt in the jaw and got under the scales, ripping his hide. Cobalt pulled back and snarled in pain as he held his hand over the wound. Spike, realizing what he just did, dropped his angry feelings for ones of fear as he watched the blood drip through Cobalt’s fingers.

“C...Cobi, I… I ju- I…” Spike stuttered as he held his claws over his mouth. He walked back slowly before turning and running away. Cobalt caught Spike’s reaction out of the corner of his eye and his attention quickly turned from his gash to Spike.

“S-Spike! Spike, wait!” Cobalt said as he ran after him.

Spike’s breath grew heavy as he kept running, he didn’t dare look back to see if Cobalt was following. He couldn’t even believe what he just did to him. Spike was almost certain that he just ruined any sort of closeness that he had with Cobalt. As he ran, the rain began to come down again, the storm swell seeming even stronger than the one days before, the thunder booming out in the distance as it drew closer. Once he was sure he lost Cobalt, he finally took a look at where he was. He wasn’t familiar with this part of the city, though it didn’t really look like a nice place. The lighting wasn’t very good in the storm and the rain was starting to get worse. Spike figured that he had to find shelter before things start getting really bad. As he walked down the sidewalk, he thought about what just happened, what he did to Cobalt and how he acted around Rarity. He didn’t notice the shady figures that had been following him for the past 20 minutes.

Spike got to a dead end on the road, he had to turn around and go back, maybe find a main road and go from there. It was then that he saw that he wasn’t alone. 5 dark figures stood only 15 feet behind him. They were all ponies with dark hoods, the water dripping from the seams as it poured down harder. Spike’s heart started to race as they came towards him, more of them coming out of the shadows. They surrounded the end of the street and cut off his only escape; Spike was trapped. The group shifted and one of them came forward, a bright red stripe decorated the hood as the figure spoke in a strong female voice.

“You made our job easy, dragon. We were prepared for a much more daring event, but you seemed to have let us catch you with little effort.” The voice said through the pounding of heavy rain. Spike gulped and breathed heavily as the crowd surrounded him.
“Wh-Who are you!? What do you want with me!?” Spike said with a squeaky voice, trying to muster up the courage to speak. The pony laughed loudly, which brought upon the laughter of the rest of the group before she spoke again.

“Stupid hatchling! You think you’re brave for talking to me?” She said before she ran towards him and pushed him up against a brick wall; her hoof moving up to his neck as a blade slid out of her sleeve. “You’re a coward, just like your empire and your princesses. Now, where is the book?” She said with a louder tone. Spike was terrified at this point and was shaking violently at the pony’s demand. “SPEAK, or you are of no use to me!” She said with the blade pressing harder against his soft neck scales.

“I...I d-don’t know what you mean! I...I know a lot of books!” Spike spat out through his shivering. The pony growled in frustration as she pulled his head away from the wall before slamming it back, making him scream in pain.

“Fool! I mean the Dragon book, the Prophecetic! Where is the Prophecetic!?” She stated powerfully. Spike drew a blank momentarily before he remembered what Cobalt was saying about how important the book was, and how bad it would be if it fell into the wrong hands. He then thought about what he did to Cobalt only a little bit earlier and figured that he owed Cobalt for what he did, even if he was facing a possible death.

“K...Kiss my tail, I’m not telling you!” He said through her choking press, the hoof on his chest preventing him from breathing properly. The hooded pony stayed silent, her mouth still slightly visible as she smiled with a toothy grin.

“Then you will die.” She whispered to him, the blade pushing into his scales, which would have easily broken the blade or at least dulled it if they were a little more developed. But since he was still growing into them, that wouldn’t be available to help him now. Just as his scale were about to give, a bright flash of lightning struck in the distance, which was followed by thunder and a strange whining sound. The pony looked up into the sky as she heard the noise, which was followed by another whine as it echoed eerily through the city. The pony whispered under her breath before she looked back. “The storm siren.” She said in her whisper as she looked frantically in the sky.

Spike looked up to see what the noise was, but couldn’t make anything out. The eerie whine was getting louder and louder as a quiet whistle started to draw closer to them. He knew that whistling sound from earlier that day, and only one thing he knew made that noise. Another flash of lightning followed by thunder came around before a dragon slammed into the street, the ground cracking and buckling beneath him as a large splash of rain water flew out in all directions. The dragon got up and opened his eyes, that shone a bright blue. Spike could make out the look of a scar on the dragon’s right eye and knew immediately who it was.

“Cobalt!” Spike whispered quietly as a smile crept over his face. He saw that his attacker wasn’t paying attention and managed to wriggle himself free enough to bite her hoof, which made her yell and retract her hoof, which let Spike slump to the ground before pushing back on all fours to get away from her.

“Why you little- get the storm siren! I don’t care if you kill him! I’m going after the hatchling!” She stated as she ran off to chase Spike. Cobalt’s attention switched to the goons that had surrounded him, the blood still dripping from his chin from Spike’s swipe.

“You’re a stupid lizard, dragon. It’s 25 against one, the odds are hardly fair.” One of the goons stated. Cobalt looked at him and chuckled deeply, his voice had dropped heavily and split into two tones.

“Oinhaiiehn Huihn Euoi, PREY.” Cobalt snarled out before his claws shot out and he slammed his tail against the ground, making a lightning bolt shoot down and strike the ground. One of the ponies jumped out at Cobalt, the blade in his sleeve sliding out as he went in to stab him. Cobalt heard his jump in the rain and smacked him hard with his tail, sending him flying into the wall and breaking his spine as the bricks cracked and gave in. The rest of the ponies looked as the Pony laid lifeless on the floor before they turned their attention back to Cobalt. “Next.” was all he said before the ponies charged at him.

Cobalt Flipped over the group as they went in to stab him with their blades. His tail smashing down on a pony and electrocuting them. He then spun around and slashed two of them with his razor sharp claws. They looked like hot knives going through butter as they sliced through both of them without hesitation. one of the ponies managed to get a good stab at him, but Cobalt quickly kicked him hard and knocked him out. He turned and breathed in heavily, the sound of static filling the air as a bolt of lightning cut through the mob and turned a couple ponies to ash. The rest of the attackers started to back off as their numbers were cut considerably.

“Fall back! Fall back! This isn’t over, scales!” The goon called out as he watched the survivors run off before following them with a slight limp.

“You’d do best not to tempt me, Suihtn Skiena.” Cobalt mumbled under his breath with a snarl as he sniffed the air, catching Spike’s scent and running to it, his breath heavy with rage as he followed the trail.

~~

Spike kept running as fast as he could; he heard the sound of hooves following closely behind him as he tried to get away. He could feel his breath strain hard as he kept running but his adrenaline allowed him to keep going, but he didn’t know the area very well and soon caught himself at another dead end, his assailant not far behind him. With heavy breath and straining muscles, he looked up to the pony, who cut him off from any escape.

“You’re out of luck, dragon. I’ll give you one last chance to save yourself. Show me the Prophecetic, or it’s your life!” She yelled as another blade slid from her other sleeve. Spike trembled softly but managed to scrape enough courage together to speak.

“Buck you, mare.” Spike said through his heavy breathing, knowing what was to come after his decision, he closed his eyes and looked away. The pony laughed and lunged at him, going in for the kill. As she came ever closer, the world around Spike slowed to a crawl, his short life flashed before his eyes as he accepted his fate.

“Not so fast!” Called out Cobalt as he smacked his tail against the pony, which knocked her out of the air. She hit the wall and screamed in pain before getting up slowly and turning to Cobalt, who looked little of himself at that point. His eyes were acid blue and shining brightly, his scales turned burnt black and sparks of lightning were falling out of the corners of his mouth. When he spoke, the ground shook from the deep base in his voice, and the higher pitch made Spike cringe in pain as it pierced his ears. “Get away from him or I’ll crisp you, soft scale!” Cobalt spat out as he extended his large wings, whose membranes showed patterns of lightning bolts. Spike could hear the sheer hate in Cobalt’s voice as it rang through the air.

“You underestimate me, Storm Siren. Now fight!” The mare said as she lunged at Cobalt. Cobalt moved to get out of the way but couldn’t get away fast enough, the right blade struck his side and gave him a big gash. He roared out loudly as he felt the blade tear him open. He followed her attack line and slammed his tail on the ground, the shockwave enough to push her onto her back which allowed him to spin around and claw at her, striking a hit that tore clothing and drew blood. The fight went on for only a little while longer before Cobalt ended up right in front of Spike. He looked back to him to see Spike cowering in absolute fear as the mare got closer.

“Spike, cover your ears.” Cobalt said behind him in a stern voice to Spike, who complied and covered his ears tightly. Cobalt breathed in deeply, as to take a breath to breathe his lightning, but this time a low rumble emanated, followed by a blood curdling roar that shook the ground with the low base, and shattered glass with a high pitch, banshee-like scream. The attacker suddenly dropped to the ground and screamed loudly as the noise only got louder. After a few seconds, Cobalt stopped his roar; his breath heavy and with a faint snarl on every exhale.

“Leave, now. Or I will end you, peasant!” Cobalt spat out loudly. The attacker got up and seemed to stare him down, before turning and quickly disappearing into the storm. Cobalt watched as the flashes of lightning and heavy rain covered her escape; once he was sure she was gone did he calm himself down.

Cobalt’s body changed back to its regular colour and his eyes shifted back to their gold and red hybrid. At this point his injuries started to really show themselves, most notably the gash on his side that was bleeding pretty bad. Cobalt winced in pain as it brought him to his knees, his hand holding his injury as it seared in pain.

“C-Cobalt! Sweet Celestia, you need to get to a hospital!” Spike cried out as he saw the damage the pony had done. Just as he finished his sentence, a bright light shone out near them, catching both their attentions rather quickly as they watched the light get closer. Once it got close enough, a face emerged from the darkness, allowing both of them to relax a little as they saw it was twilight and Rarity, who went looking for them.

“Oh dear goodness, what ever happened to you, Cobalt? And how did you both get down to this end of the city?” Rarity shouted out as she acted repulsed to Cobalt’s injuries.

“Not now, guys, I’ll explain AFTER we get him to a doctor! Twilight, think you can teleport us?” Spike said authoritatively. Twilight simply nodded as a purple aura surrounded all of them, the rain being pushed away by the bubble as her teleportation magic snapped them from the edge of the city to the front of the hospital.

~~

“...And then I got cornered by the hooded mare and I thought I was done for, she asked for the book again and I said no. Just when I thought I was done for, Cobalt came in and saved me. But, that’s when he got the gash in his side.” Spike explained to Twilight with a heavy tone; his body shaking from the fear and anxiousness of what just happened. He had a blanket around him to keep him warm and an ice pack on his head because of a minor concussion he got when the mare slammed him against the wall.

“I’m just glad you’re okay- that you’re BOTH okay. Things could have gone much worse.” Twilight said calmly, trying to get Spike to stop shaking so violently. “But… at least now we have some sort of lead to who was spying on us before.” She said with a bittersweet tone. Spike couldn’t think of that right now, his main focus was about Cobalt. He felt it was his fault that all this had happened and it made him sick.

“I’m back, darlings and I brought everyone along. Has there been any updates on Cobalt’s status?” Rarity asked with a slight urgency in her voice as she walked up to the two in the waiting room along with everyone from the get-together.

“The doctor said he should be fine,” Twilight started, “They thankfully had a few dragon surgeons that were nearing the end of their shifts when he came in. They said he should be okay to see tomorrow morning. Spike doesn’t want to leave here though, he doesn’t feel safe. I’m going to stay with him.” Twilight said as she put her hoof on Spike’s shoulder. Spike looked up and gave a half-hearted smile before looking back down on the ground and shaking more.

“I… Rarity, can… Can we talk please? In private?” Spike said with a shaky voice as his eyes looked up to Rarity. Rarity immediately looked at him and nodded enthusiastically.

“Of course, dearest, come.” She said with a gentle sympathy as she turned to the neighbouring room and gestured. Spike slowly got up, looked at everyone and then walked into the room with Rarity, shutting the door behind them as they did.

“Now, is there something you wish to discuss?” Rarity asked innocently, not knowing the spark that caused all the events that unraveled. Spike looked at her and sighed; sitting on a chair and looking down before speaking.

“I… I stormed out because of your boyfriend” he began, trying to word it so he didn’t sound like a total douche. “I mean… it’s no secret I had a crush on you. But, well… I was lying when I said I wasn’t feeling it anymore. It was just because I was tired of being teased by everyone because of it. As a matter of fact, I think it got stronger. When you showed us your new boyfriend… I kinda felt like all I tried to do to get you to like me didn’t matter.” Spike explained, small tears beading at the corners of his eyes. Rarity looked at him for a moment before giving him a warm smile and placing a hoof on his shoulder.

“Spike, I… I figured that you still had feelings for me, dear. I never doubted that they didn’t go away either,” Rarity started gently. Spike looked up at her with confusion.

“So… why didn’t you ever react to it?” He asked with the lump in his throat ever-growing.

“It’s because I knew it wasn’t going to work out, dear. You must understand you’re very young, and because you’re young you still have a lot to learn about the world of love. Simply letting you get your wish would be completely irresponsible to me. I would stop you from going out there and experiencing the world. You must understand as well, because you have such passionate feelings for me, if it were to not work out in the end, you would be devastated, and I couldn’t ever do that to Spikey-wikey,” Rarity explained with a gentle but assured tone. Spike never thought of it that way, and in a way, it helped his heart mend itself a little. Not much, but, a little.

“So… does that mean that I’ll never get my chance with you?” Spike asked with an ever so slight spark of hope pushing through his tone. Rarity smile and rubbed his head plates with her hoof.

“Now, I wouldn’t necessarily say that, dear. But there’s a lot of souls out there, and it’s a world full of wonder that not even the imagination can do justice. You may find the one that is right for you before you get that chance. I ask you to please keep an open mind about it,” Rarity finished off with a hopeful optimism that rang through the air. Spike looked up at her and smiled faintly, giving her a gentle nod.

“I’ll try, Rarity. I really will,” Spike said quietly, his voice getting back it’s confidence as he did.Rarity smiled back and gave him a kiss on the cheek, making him blush bright red and shudder in emotion.

“Never change, Spike. You’d be doing the world a disservice if you do,” She said quietly, giving off a slight blush of their own. Just as they wrapped things up, Twilight knocked on the door.

“Come in.” Spike said with a flutter in his voice as he put a claw on his cheek softly. Twilight opened the door and walked in, her face beaming a grin as she walked up to Spike, knowing that she would get an explanation to what happened later.

“The doctor just finished talking with me; Cobalt did a lot better than they had expected, and he should be ready for visits now. Do you want to go see him?” Twilight asked him gently as she gave him a playful hoof bump. Spike got up slowly and nodded.

“Take me to him, please. I need to make sure he’s okay myself before I stop shaking.” Spike said with a small, nervous chuckle. “Thanks for the talk Rarity, I’ll definitely take what you said to heart, I promise!” Spike said with growing enthusiasm.

“Good, I hope I eased your nerves, Spike.” Rarity responded with her usual certainty. With that, Spike, Twilight and Rarity both walked outside; Rarity joining the others and Spike and Twilight walking into the visiting rooms.

Upon entering the room, they saw Cobalt laying on a elongated bed that let him sit up a little. His whole mid-section was bandaged up and there was an IV hooked up to his right claw. He also had 3 bandages where stitches were put for when Spike accidentally clawed him.

“H-Hey, Poofer; hey, Twilight. I got pretty banged up out there, huh?” Cobalt said with a weak chuckle, followed by a quiet grunt. “Sorry, still recovering from the meds. They had to put a triple dose on me because they didn’t have any dragon anesthetics,” he continued as he shifted slightly. Spike walked up to him and took Cobalt’s hand in his.

“I’ll leave you two alone. If you need anything, let me know, okay Spike?” Twilight said as she started for the door. Spike gave her a notion of approval before turning his attention back to Cobalt.

“Cobi… by Celestia, I’m so sorry. This is all my fault, I shouldn’t have run off like that.” Spike said with a couple hot tears streaming down his face. “I could have killed both of us because I was selfish, I’m so sorry…”

“Hey, enough with the sob story, sweetie. Trust me, it’s no big deal. You owe me for giving me ANOTHER claw mark on my face, but I’m totally not mad, I promise. Just, don’t run away like that again, I’m not going to hurt you just because you did something out of instinct, that’s more my fault than yours.” Cobalt said groggily. “Did you at least explain why this all went down to-”

“Rarity?” Spike said, finishing Cobalt’s sentence and blushing brightly. “Yeah… she was okay with it, and she told me why she didn’t really want to be in a relationship with me- not yet at least.” He said while scratching the back of his head.

“That’s good.” Cobalt said quietly, a slight blush appearing on his face as well. There was a moment of awkward silence between the two as they looked away from each other. Finally, Cobalt couldn’t take it anymore. “So… you’re on the market then are-OOMPH” Cobalt exclaimed as Spike turned and pressed his lips to Cobalt’s, catching him off guard. Spike looked into Cobalt’s eyes and then shut them tight, showing that he wasn’t going anywhere soon. Cobalt collected himself and leaned his head into Spike’s kiss, closing his eyes as well. They let their lips hold against each other for what seemed like an hour before they both pulled away; Spike breathing heavy and Cobalt in disbelief.

“That… was a little long overdue.” Spike said quietly.

“Well, you work fast. So… I’m going to say that you like me huh?” Cobalt said with a slight smile. Spike looked at him and blushed bright, giving him a shy nod before putting his hands behind his back..

“Look, I don’t know if this is going to work. I’m not really sure if I like guys in the first place, or if this is some sort of lash out from Rarity or something. But I’ve had really strange feelings around you… and hell, why not, you know?” Spike said with a stutter, trying to find the right words to say. “I’m sorry, I’m really new to this whole guy to guy relationshi-” He said before Cobalt stretched out his head and pressed his nose to Spike’s.

“Take it as slow as you want, I’m a patient dragon” Cobalt stated in his low voice, making Spike shudder slightly. “Also… your lips are really soft, Poofer.” Cobalt said with a chuckle before he pecked Spike’s lips. Spike couldn’t help but give a little giggle himself to as he returned Cobalt’s peck.

“Hey, you mind if we don’t tell anyone for now? Not even Twilight? I don’t want to go out in the open with this unless I’m sure this is what I want, or even until I’m sure of what this is...” Spike said quietly, the blush on his face getting bigger and bigger.

“You have my word, love” Cobalt answered happily. “Now, you wanna come on up and spend the night? I’m awful lonely around here” He said with a chuckle. Spike looked at him and gave him a confused grin.

“Won’t they be upset about it?”

“Yeah, but I’m a 7 foot tall, 380 pound storm calling, thundertail dragon. I don’t think there’s much they can do about it” Cobalt said factually. Spike giggled and nodded before crawling up next to Cobalt, settling in beside him and laying his head on Cobalt’s chest, listening to his powerful, heavy breathing. Once they both got settled, Cobalt closed the main light and wrapped his arm around his somewhat-more-than-friend. “Gnight, Poof.”

“Night, Cobalt” Spike said tiredly, snugging himself into Cobalt happily. “I love you.”

Author's Note:

Well this was a fun one to write, I tried my best to make it fast where it was needed and slow when it needed to slow down. You guys be the judge of that.

HOPE YOU LIKE IT ^^