• Published 11th Nov 2013
  • 1,759 Views, 124 Comments

A dragon a Dozen - Cobaltin



Spike been the only dragon around Ponyville for 8 years. Suddenly, a new dragon shows up while things heat up between Dragons and Ponies in Canterlot. Spike quickly realizes that things are about to get a whole lot more dragon.

  • ...
8
 124
 1,759

Best Brother Ever

Spike grunted as he slowly came to, his head throbbing madly and his vision blurry. He slowly started to look around the room, which he couldn’t make out even if he wanted, and noticed a familiar silhouette laying on what looked to be a couch. He opened his mouth to speak, but couldn’t say anything more than a whisper.

“C-Cobalt?”

Cobalt’s ears perked at the faint call from the hospital bed next to him as he turned his attention away from the magazine he was reading.

“Poofer? Was that you?” Cobalt asked in surprise as he got up and immediately knelt beside Spike’s bed.

“C-Cobalt…? Y-You’re not dead.” Spike said as he grabbed Cobalt’s big claw weakly. Cobalt looked down and smiled as he held his little brother’s hand softly, his other hand very gently rubbing Spike’s arm.

“N-no, sweetie, I’m right here. How you feeling?” Cobalt said quietly as he comforted his little brother.

“I… my head hurts, ugh.” Spike said as he slowly tried to bring his other hand to his forehead and rubbed his dimple, but pulled his hand back quickly and winced in pain. “Wh-what happened?”

“You uh, hit your head on a flagpole. Only you can hit the only thing on a cloud colosseum that can hurt you, Poofer.” Cobalt said as he started to laugh quietly. Spike only groaned in pain as he shifted a little bit. “The doctor said you have a nice concussion, nothing life threatening, but you should stay in bed for the next week and a half or so,” Cobalt said softly as he gently nuzzled Spike’s hand. Spike snorted in frustration as he relaxed a little more.

“Uuuuugh, this is just what I needed. How long have I been out?” Spike turned slightly and looked at Cobalt as his vision started to correct.

“A couple days. I dunno, I haven’t really been keeping track.” Cobalt looked away for a moment as he motioned over to the couch, where there was a blanket scrunched up under a pillow. Spike’s eyes widened slightly as he tried to get up, but was stopped by Cobalt’s careful claw on his chest. “No no, no moving for you, you need to rest.”

“Have you been here the whole time?” Spike said with wide eyes as he looked at his brother as best he could. Cobalt simply nodded and smiled slightly.

“I’ve got nowhere else to go, and I’m not about to leave my baby brother alone when he needs me.” Cobalt said as his smile grew softly. “Twilight’s been here too, she just left to go tend to something urgent about an hour ago, she wouldn’t tell me what it was.” Spike’s ears slowly dropped as he looked down at his feet.

“Did you guys talk at all? It wasn't awkward in here, was it?” Spike asked half heartedly, expecting the worst. To his surprise, however, Cobalt shook his head as he pulled up a chair from the other side of the bed with his tail and sat on it.

“At first we didn’t even pay attention each other, we were more worried about you. After things got stable, there was a bit of tension between us. Dash and Rarity were talking to me and asking me questions, the others were having small talk with her. It eventually got to just us, as we both had plans to stay here overnight. We ended up talking about a lot, mostly about you and what was happening. She seemed really happy that she got to see you again. She feels really bad for how she acted, and I told her you felt the same. I told you she would be alright.” Spike’s eyes sparkled as he looked back at Cobalt and smiled a hopeful grin.

“Wow, really? Gods, that’s a million tons off my shoulders. Are you and her okay?” Spike asked optimistically.

“We’re okay. A little shaky; we both decided to let things unfurl slowly, but we’re gonna actively try bond a little better. You’re the glue that’s binding us, buddy,” Cobalt said with a little chirp at the end of his phrase. Spike sighed happily and settled back into his bed, closing his eyes and growling lightly.

“You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. I don’t think I would have been able to choose between you both if it came to that.” Spike said quietly, holding back a tear as best as he could.

“I wouldn't have let it anyway, Poof.” Cobalt stretched his back to crack it, leaned against the wall behind him and settled into his chair. “So, nice screech there, Poof. Didn't think you had it in you,” Cobalt said mockingly. Spike gave him an evil stare and an unimpressed pout.

“Yeah, about that, we were going berserk trying to catch your attention, why did the scream win out?” Spike said with a slowly growing concerned tone. Cobalt froze, as if Spike caught him doing something heinous. He looked down slightly and lowered his ears, before breathing heavily and opening his mouth to speak.

“I couldn't see you.” Cobalt looked up at Spike and gave him a small shrug and nervous smile. Spike shook his and and rolled his eyes.

“Never mind, at least I got your attention. Is everyone okay? I saw a few Wonder Bolts get hit pretty hard.”

“Yeah, everyone’s alright. A couple Wonder Bolts are in intensive care and a few civilians got injured in the chaos, but everyone’s expected to live. There’s a big blackout in the south-east corner of the city that they’re still trying to fix, though.” Cobalt said dryly. Spike grew suspicious immediately from Cobalt’s reaction.

“I don’t remember the dragon hitting any power lines. There weren't any transformers around him, either.” Spike said with a distrustful gaze. Cobalt dodged his little brother’s eye contact as he tried to muster up the courage to speak again.

“The dragon didn’t cause it, I did.” Cobalt said quietly. Spike’s emotions quickly went from suspicious, to concerned as he took a deep, concerned, breath.

“Okay, now I need to know. What happened to you? I saw you get stomped on by that dragon. I was sure he killed you. But now you’re telling me that not only did you survive, but you managed to black out a quarter of a city and I presume you also chased the dragon off. What in the name of Celestia did you do?” Spike said as he closed his eyes and settled back into his bed. “And no bull, I want the whole story as it happened.” Cobalt looked up to his brother and hummed quietly in approval. There was a bit of silence as Cobalt tried to find the right words, but he eventually got himself together and started to explain.

“It all started to happen after he stomped his foot on me…”

~~

“C’MON, LET’S GO! MOVE IT! EVERYONE GET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CITY!” Spitfire yelled out over the screaming crowd and roars of the dragon as she ushered the crowd down the crowded city. “Dash, get up the line with the others and see what you can do! I don’t know how long Cobalt can hold that guy off!”

“Yes, Ma’am!” Dash shouted as she zipped through the city to meet up with Fluttershy and a few other Wonder Bolts. “How’s everything going over here!?”

“We’re doing our best to get everyone moving but the streets were never meant to handle chaos like this! We need more time!” Shouted one of the Wonder Bolts as he ushered more ponies through the streets.

“Sweet Celestia, we may not have the time! FLUTTERSHY!” Called out Dash as she flew over to her friend. Fluttershy jumped in surprise but managed to keep a level-ish head as she saw Dash zooming towards her. “You need to find Twilight and Rarity, see if they can use any sort of magic to make the crowd move faster, we need to get everyone going if Cobalt can’t hold this dragon!”

“Oh… oh dear! I-I’ll try!” Fluttershy yelled out… or, well, called out in her usual quiet tone, as she flew ahead of the crowd to try and find her Unicorn friends. With her orders carried out, Dash decided to gain a little altitude to see how Cobalt was faring against the large, Feral dragon. As she got a view, she could see the moment right as the dragon slammed his foot down on Cobalt. Her heart skipped a beat and her pupils almost disappeared. It felt like her whole body had turned to stone and for a moment, she hovered dumbfoundedly in the air.

“Oh…. oh no. Cobalt!” Dash hollered in fear as she immediately took off towards the big feral dragon. “What- what are we going to do no-wait, what’s- WHOA!” Dash had to vigorously change course as a bolt of lightning surged out and barely missed her. She looked down at the big dragon’s claw as bolts of lightning started to shoot from it savagely. A low humming sound started to waver from within the city as the street lights began to glow intensely and power lines started to surge. The shots of lightning became more frequent and violent, hitting buildings, anything metal and everything that was in close proximity. The humming sound got louder and started to climb in pitch as light bulbs started to glow progressively more intense. Electronic signs, appliances and devices started to overload and surge. Dash immediately flew herself back to Spitfire, who was watching everything go haywire.

“Dash!” Spitfire called out as she flew up to dash and grabbed her tightly. “Get down and cover yourself!” Spitfire hit the ground hard and put her hoof over Dash’s head. “EVERYBODY GET DOWN!” Spitfire watched as everyone looked at her and Dash in confusion before getting down and putting their hooves over their head as sparks started to fly everywhere. Spitfire put her free hoof over her mane and kept her head down.

The bulbs in street lamps exploded violently, as well as the lights in buildings and signs. The power lines surged and shot bolts of lightning into the air. As everything electronic overloaded, the humming sound suddenly broke and a huge sphere of electricity smashed its way through the streets, causing anything electronic to either fail catastrophically or explode. Power lines flew off their posts and surged on the ground as the transformers on the posts blew and even caught fire. After the blast of electricity came a HUGE and heavy pressure wave that knocked trees over, blew out windows and even managed to knock over mailboxes and flip over kart stands. The pressure wave kicked up a lot of dirt and visibility went down to zero.

~~

Cobalt slowly stood up from the huge crater that surrounded him and stared menacingly at the massive dragon that was flung onto his back and struggling to get up. Cobalt looked little of his former self. His whole body was a deep, shiny blue. His extremities, such as his horns, wing membranes and claws, were a charcoal black and his eye sockets glowed a bright white. He opened his mouth slowly as he walked towards the large, injured dragon; sparks falling out of his mouth like a waterfall. As Cobalt got next to the dragon, he opened his hand to the large feral. As he did, a ring of electricity locked itself around the dragon’s neck and acted as a restraint that leashed back to Cobalt’s hand.

“Do you believe now?” Cobalt said in a heavily distorted voice that almost seemed to shake the ground as he spoke. The large, feral dragon looked at the small half-siren in horror as he struggled to speak.

“Y-you’re an anomaly.” The dragon said with a raspy, almost-whispery tone.

“And you’re a dull-clawed hatchling who must learn his place.” With his remark, Cobalt flew up in the air like a bolt of lightning, an electric rope connecting his hand to the restraint around the large dragon’s neck. “You come to MY territory, harm MY friends and threaten MY family.” Cobalt pulled on the rope hard, pulling the entire dragon into the air. As the dragon flew up into the air, Cobalt flipped himself upside down and shot back towards the dragon. Just before he slammed his arrowed body into the dragon’s stomach, a small explosion of electricity sparked between them and made a small cushion as the dragon was forced down at twice the speed he was pulled up. The large dragon roared loudly as he fell to the ground with a loud thud. A massive plume of dust kicked up around the two as everything fell silent.

Meanwhile, Dash stood up and scanned the scene around her. To her relief, it didn’t look like anyone was seriously injured, but the city was in a wreck. Minute sparks of electricity erupted from the severed power lines that fell to the ground and from the broken bulbs in the street lamps. the first thing on her mind was what happened after the explosion, and what happened to Cobalt.

“M-Ma’am? I’m going to go assess the situation with the dragon.” She said as she dusted herself off. Spitfire took her first look at the damage and failed to answer Dash. “Ma’am?” Spitfire quickly shot her attention to Dash as she shook her head and slowly got up.

“Uhhh… yes, go get a sit-rep and report back to this location immediately. Don’t go too far, all our radio’s are out” Spitfire said as she fumbled with her comms. She stumbled to her hooves and looked over the scene in a mix of concern and awe.

“Yes, Ma’am.” Dash immediately took to the air and made a beeline for where Cobalt and the dragon had recently fought, only to find the large plume of dust that obscured what she could only guess were the two dragons. With a nervous gulp, she slowly flew herself down to ground zero. As she landed, she was met with the slowly moving dust cloud, making her cough and wheeze as she tried to navigate it. With a bit of patience, and a lot of coughing, she managed to get a clearing. Her jaw practically hit the ground at what she saw. In front of her rested the two dragons; Cobalt standing inches from the upside down feral dragon’s nose. She could see his chest expanding and contracting powerfully as he stared down the barely conscious feral. The large dragon was barely alive, its breathing was short and shallow. Dash paid little attention to the dragon and concentrated on who she believed to be Cobalt. She squinted and hesitantly spoke to the figure. “C-Cobalt? Is that you?”

“Hmm?” Cobalt’s ears perked as he turned his head towards the voice that called his name. Through the dust, he could make out the shape of a Pegasus, not just any Pegasus, but Dash. His eyes returned to their red and gold and his body changed pigment to his natural color. As soon as it did, Cobalt’s legs quickly gave out and he fell to his hands and knees.

“Cobalt!” Exclaimed Dash as she galloped to her downed friend. Cobalt looked up at her briefly before gagging and throwing up. Dash stopped before him and pulled her hooves to her body in disgust. “Eww…uhh, are you okay? Do you need help?” Dash asked begrudgingly, hoping Cobalt would decline. She sighed in relief as Cobalt shook his head and grumbled.

“No, I’m good, just a little winded. How bad’s the damage?” Cobalt said weakly before puking once more.

“Well, besides the fireworks display in the town, nobody was seriously injured. What in the name of Celestia happened, anyway?”

“EMP.” Cobalt said through his gritted teeth as he wiped his mouth. Dash raised an eyebrow in confusion.

“A what?”

“An EMP? Electro-Magnetic-Pulse? I basically burst and electricity field to make sure I didn’t become a pancake. The result is an EM-HURGHK” Cobalt stated through his heavy breathing before he heaved yet again. “Gods I hate this.” Dash reluctantly rubbed Cobalt’s scaled back in effort to soothe him. After about a minute of staying in a braced position, Cobalt slowly got up and sat on his tail.

“You okay now?” Dash asked as she stepped back from him. Cobalt nodded tiredly before returning his attention to the Large feral dragon. “Is he going to… y’know, die?”

“No. He’s not going to be going anywhere fast, though.” Cobalt said as he pointed to the dragon’s hind leg, an electric chain binding it to the earth. “It’s all so strange. That wasn't feral behavior in the slightest. Usually they don’t challenge an Alpha male unless there’s a good reason behind it. He was so rage-stricken that he didn’t even catch my scent. He’ll probably be out for a couple days but I want to talk to him when he wakes.”

“Talk to him? He just tried to kill you!” Dash exclaimed with her hoof pointing at the crater behind them. Cobalt looked back and raised his eyebrows, almost seeming surprised at the large crater he had made.

“Damn, I didn’t expect the field to be that big. How far in did it reach the city?” Cobalt asked with a worried tone. Dash scratched the back of her head and looked back towards the city as the dust cloud began to clear.

“Uhh… I’m not sure. I was a good 5 blocks in when the… EMP, ran through the city.” Cobalt bit his lip and thought for a moment.

“Hmm… I judging by the size of the crater, that would have been the extremity of it. That’s a bit of a relief. I thought you were going to tell me I blacked out more than half the town for sure!” Cobalt said with a nervous chuckle that quickly fell into an awkward silence. Suddenly, Cobalt's ears perked at the sound of wings flapping. He put his finger to his lips and motioned with his eyes to where the sound was coming from. Dash took notice and turned to where Cobalt had gaze-pointed. Both of them got ready for whatever was coming through the clearing dust cloud. To their relief, it was Scootaloo, who landed just in front of them and was awestruck by the damage around them.

“Hey, Scoot. You really shouldn't be here, it’s a dangerous area.” Dash said with a suspicious look across her face. Scootaloo quickly snapped her glance off the scenery and focused on Cobalt, a look of desperation on her.

“Cobalt, you have to come quickly! Spike is hurt!” Scootaloo said through heavy breaths. Cobalt’s eyes shot open and his pupils dilated.

“Wh-What? How!?”

“There was a big explosion and he got blown back and hit his head on a flagpole!” Scoot said with a frantic buzz of her wings. Cobalt felt like he had just been punched in the chest. He looked over to Dash with an increasingly worried expression.

“For Atkias sake, it doesn't end! Dash, I need to get up there, can you guys take care of your wounded?” Dash nodded quickly and took to the skies to return to Spitfire. “C’mon, Scoot. Let’s get up there!” Cobalt took off frantically and darted to the Colosseum, where a small crowd surrounded paramedics that were tending to Spike and what looked to be Applebloom. Cobalt landed outside of the circle and immediately started to push his way though. “Everyone get back, move! I’m his sibling!” The Pegasus’ around the paramedics looked back a Cobalt in apprehensiveness before quickly moving out of his way. Cobalt’s heart sank to his feet as he watched the two Pegasus Paramedics carefully place Spike onto a stretcher with a neck brace and pick him up.

“Hey, you’re related to him, right?” Said one of the medics as Cobalt got in next to him.

“Yeah, I am. Is he going to be alright? How bad is it?” Cobalt asked fearfully, expecting the worst.

“It’s alright, don’t worry. He’s unconscious right now. It doesn't look like he has any broken vertebrae or bones in general, his breathing is fine. He does, however, have a pretty nasty concussion. We’re taking him to Mare Mercy Hospital if you would like to fly behind the hospital craft?” Cobalt sighed in relief at the news before nodding his head in approval.

“I would. Is she okay?” Cobalt said as he looked to Applebloom.

“She’s alright. A bit of bruising from grazing the pole and a pulled leg, but she’ll be fine. Now let’s head to the hospital ASAP.”

~~

Spike’s mouth was hinged open in awe as he listened to Cobalt wrap up his story.

“...and once we got to the hospital, they put you into ICU overnight, just in case you had any hemorrhaging. The next morning they transferred you to patient care and to this room. I've been here ever since.” Spike closed his mouth and smiled softly at Cobalt, who smiled back and even chuckled a little bit. “I’m so sorry, Poof. I didn’t expect it to be that strong.”

“Don’t you dare, Cobalt. If you didn’t you would have been killed, for sure. Nobody died and that’s thanks in large part to you. I don’t think a banged head and a few broken light bulbs are worth trading for your life.” Spike winced in pain, laying back slowly into his bed and relaxing his head. “Sweet Celestia my head is still killing me. Like, really. Of all places to hit, I hit the only thing that ISN’T a cloud on a CLOUD COLOSSEUM.” Cobalt couldn't help but laugh at his brother’s misfortune before sliding his chair up and holding onto his brother’s hand once more.

“As long as you’re still kicking, I’m okay.” Cobalt stated affectionately as he held his brother’s hand softly. Spike exhaled in happiness and relaxed in his bed.

“So, what was that whole ‘electronic field’ thing you spoke of? What does it do?” Spike asked through a yawn that escaped him.

“It’s basically a personal shield that can be used to protect yourself from things like arrows and bullets. If you overload it, the field bursts and acts like a bomb. The more concentrated the blast, the more powerful the explosion. And the more energy you draw, the stronger the focus. The one I did the other day was actually a very small one. It takes a lot out of you and if you do it too strong, it can actually kill you. Because mine is electric, it also causes an electromagnetic pulse, which disables and destroys electronic equipment, usually beyond repair.”

“You wouldn't go killing yourself over one of those blasts, would you?” Spike said with a worried tone, looking over at Cobalt with dilating pupils. Cobalt couldn't help but smile as he shook his head.

“I wouldn't dare leave you, my sibling. Not if there’s another solution.”

“Good. Now… if you’ll excuse me, I’m kinda tired.” Spike said as he closed his eyes and settled in. Cobalt rolled his eyes and huffed, leaning in and giving his little brother a soft lick on the cheek.

“Sleep well, young Haitchrienje.” Cobalt held his brother’s hand for only a moment longer before a wonderbolt stepped into the room.

“Corperal Sertingue? You have to come with me. The dragon’s awake.” Said the wonderbolt quietly. Cobalt looked at her, then to Spike and sighed begrudgedly.

“Very well.” Said Cobalt as he got up. He walked to the edge of the doorway and looked back, smiling softly at his sleeping sibling before walking off with the Wonderbolt. As he did, Spike quickly shot his eyes open to see his brother exiting the room. He settled into his bed a little more and sighed happily.

“Best brother ever.”

Author's Note:

And so now that everything's out of the way until September, I'm going to try my best to get everything sorted out and back on schedule. This is a shorter one, unfortunately, but I'm already working on the next one and I'm going to try and make sure the damn thing is in before the next Century, I promise.

ANEEWAY, hope you like this new chapter <3