• Published 11th Nov 2013
  • 1,759 Views, 124 Comments

A dragon a Dozen - Cobaltin



Spike been the only dragon around Ponyville for 8 years. Suddenly, a new dragon shows up while things heat up between Dragons and Ponies in Canterlot. Spike quickly realizes that things are about to get a whole lot more dragon.

  • ...
8
 124
 1,759

Encounter of the Dragon Kind

The city went from bustling and busy, to very, very quiet. For a massive city like Ponyville, that was a strange thing to behold. The streets were all bare seldom the one leaving the city. Every-pony that could, awaited the arrival of the new dragon that was supposed to be there. Twilight paced back and forth anxiously, hoping everything was ready and going through every worse-case scenario in her head. Applejack stood with her family, her brother, Big Mac, staring into the distance without moving a muscle. Fluttershy hid behind the front of the crowd, the whole thought of a dragon still made her uneasy, so she’d rather NOT be in the front of the crowd. Rarity was Standing with Fluttershy to try and calm her as best as she could. Pinkie was jumping up and down in different places within the crowd for a better view and Dash was hovering above the crowd, looking out to the distant sky to see if she could spot Cobalt as he came in.

Spike just sat there, staring down the road. He still didn’t know what to make of this, everything seemed surreal. So many thoughts were going through his head at once and he didn’t know what to make of it. It didn’t concern him so much WHY Cobalt was coming, the fact that he was coming was more than enough to make his gut churn.

“I see something!” Dash shouted out from above, and anybody who wasn't paying attention was fixed on the road now. It started as a small little silver dot, but it quickly grew to a formation. Four heavily armed guards, two on each side of what looked to be a dragon. Idle chatter started to erupt from within the crowd and things quickly got loud. Spike’s heart was pounding fast, his eyes widened as the dragon and pony formation grew closer. He looked over to his sister who was still pacing and put a hand on her shoulder, turning her to the road. Twilight stopped and shared his gaze, her eyes widening and jaw dropping.

The formation came to the front of the crowd, all 5 involved within landing just a few meters from Twilight and Spike. The four Pegasus’ landed without much of a disruption, the dragon however, landed with a thud, the beat of his massive wings enough to make a small dust storm appear. The crowd went dead silent as the dragon stood up. He wasn't much taller than spike, only about a foot taller, which made him about 6 feet tall. His wings, however, were MASSIVE; one wing easily measured as long as the dragon’s body, tail and all. His scales were a soft Cobalt blue that shimmered in the light as he moved, his belly scales a much deeper shade of blue themselves. He had grey head plates and gray ears that looked a tad too big for his face, and his eyes shone brightly; one was a crimson red, whilst the other was bright gold, and his gold eye carried a green scar of a claw mark.

Cobalt looked at the crowd, and his blue scales quickly gave off a hint of pink as he suddenly realized that the grouping of people was for him. Whilst Cobalt was trying to take in what was happening, one of the guards went up to Twilight, still in awe of the wingspan Cobalt had, and bowed.

“Princess Twilight. This is Price Cobaltin Aser-Macht Derius Sertingue. Spirit name of 'Thoinkehn-Taiern'-” Cobalt interjected with a soft, but rather wide voice.

“Ahh- y-you can call me Cobalt, sir, that’s what the rest of my family calls me.” He said with the blush on his face ever-growing. The guard simply nodded and continued.
“Cobalt has been put under your care by Princess Celestia and order of Grand Dragon Nitrius. Princess Celestia has also asked me to tell you that she is not available for discussion and is unreachable until the summit has been completed.” Twilight’s face quickly turned from astonishment to worry.

“Wh-what!? But what if I have to talk to her her? What if something goes wrong or I have questions?” The guard simply shook his head and bowed.

“I’m sorry, your highness, no contact can be established until the summit is completed, Princess Celestia has put all guards on high alert and most of Canterlot is off-limits until the summit is completed, we will return in 4 weeks to retrieve Prince Cobalt and return him to the Grand dragon. Celestia’s grace upon you, your highness” And with all 4 guards bowing low, they promptly turned on their hooves and flew back to the castle.

Cobalt looked over the crowd, slightly dumbfounded as so many ponies were looking back at him.

“I… I hope you all didn’t stop your day just to see me. Terribly sorry about that.” He said lowering his head with a mix of embarrassment and apprehensiveness. Twilight looked at Cobalt one more time and sighed, walking up to him and speaking.

“Welcome to Ponyville, Cobalt. My name is Twilight Sparkle, you’ll be staying with me for the next few weeks. I’d also like to greet you on behalf of the entire city.” Said Twilight as she made a hoof gesture to the crowd behind her.

Cobalt smiled nervously, “Ahhh… thank you, Twilight. I-I sincerely appreciate the trouble you’re going through for me. I’ll be honest though, I’m not all that comfortable with discussing in front of this crowd. If it’s all the same to you, I’d like to discuss matters in a more private area?” Cobalt asked whilst twiddling his thumbs. Dash caught wind of the conversation and quickly flew in front of Cobalt, going inches from his face.

“Why you want to talk privately, huh? Got something you don’t want us to know!? Do ya!?” Cobalt stumbled back on his wings, which flared out in fear and made several ponies beside him have to dart out of the way.

“O-oh gosh I’m so sorry! I-I didn’t mean to offend I just-” Twilight put a hoof on Cobalt’s arm.

“Dash, it’s okay, he’s just a little nervous.” Rainbow Dash glared at Twilight and then back at Cobalt, who was at this point shaking in nervousness. She gave him a quick glare before backing up beside Rarity and Applejack, who at this point made their way to the front of the crowd and stood beside Twilight along with Pinkie and Fluttershy. “Alright every-pony, return to your daily routine, it’s still the new season and there’s a lot to do!” Exclaimed Twilight to the crowd. A sound of exasperation erupted from the crowd as ponies suddenly reminded themselves of the work they had to do. Whilst every-pony reluctantly went back to work, Cobalt noticed Spike, who was looking away from him with a fearful face. Cobalt walked past the ponies and up to Spike, who was kind of hoping he wasn't going to be noticed just yet.

“Hi there… are you here for the same reason too? I know there’s a couple dragons attending this summit.” Spike looked at him and only shook his head, too nervous to speak.

“His name is Spike, he’s my step-brother.” Twilight jotted in, seeing that Spike was near-petrified. Cobalt looked at her quickly and then back at Spike, understanding quickly why he was so afraid.

“Ohhhhh… I get it, you've never been around other dragons before, have you?” Spike shook his head again. After a couple seconds of silence, Cobalt took the hint that Spike wasn't going to be talking any time soon and backed away, concentrating on Twilight once again. “I… I imagine that I will be staying in your cave- I mean… well, I’m not sure what I mean, I've never been very far out of my cave before.” Said Cobalt a bit embarrassingly.Twilight smiled and nodded.

“Yes, you’ll be staying at my house, Cobalt, follow me.” And with that, everyone followed Twilight to the library. Spike stayed a bit further behind the crowd before joining in.”

“Gosh, I’m such a scaredypony.” Spike muttered to himself as he slowly followed behind the others.

~~

“Sorry about earlier, Cobalt, Rainbow Dash didn’t mean no harm.” Noted Twilight as they continued to walk down the streets. Cobalt, feeling much more relieved now that he didn’t have thousands of eyes on him, started to open up a little.

“Heh, it’s no big deal, I guess. I just hope nobody got hurt.” Twilight smiled and shook her head.

“No, everything is alright. Oh! before we get any further, I want to introduce you to my friends. I’d like you to meet Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and of course, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight stated proudly as she pointed to each pony as she called out their names.

“Mighty nice to meet you there, Cobalt, hope we didn't scare ya too much.” Apple jack stated.

“Quite, and might I say, your scales are absolutely stunning in the sunlight!” Rarity added, making Cobalt’s face flush into pink again.

“Oh… well, thank you, Rarity.”

“Hello… Mr. Cobalt” Fluttershy managed to spit out, barely audible enough to hear. Rarity stood next to Fluttershy, putting a hoof over her shoulder.

“You’ll have to excuse her, dear, she’s awfully shy around strangers and she’s a little fearful of dragons.” Cobalt nodded and slowly leaned down to Fluttershy’s height.

“I understand your fear, Fluttershy, I’m shy too. I’m sure we can get over this together, don’t you think?” Cobalt stated as softly as he could. Fluttershy looked at him slowly and mustered up the courage to speak again.

“O...Okay, Cobalt.” Cobalt smiled warmly as he leaned back up to Pinkie pie bouncing up and down, which caught him off guard a bit.

“Hey Cobalt! Do you like parties!?” She said with a bounce in her step.

“Well… I’m not sure, I've uh… I've never been to one, I heard they’re a lot of fun though.” Pinkie gasped and froze in midair, confusing Cobalt a little.

“You… you've never had a party before?” Pinkie said whilst still in midair. Cobalt, really confused at this point, shook his head. “That’s… that’s PERFECT!” Said Pinkie as she Darted past him and headed back into the city. Cobalt blinked a few times in disbelief.

“Is… Is she always like that?” Cobalt asked, not sure how to process what just happened. Everyone nodded and made an agreeing gesture.

“Anyway,” Twilight continued “Dash, you going to introduce yourself?” Dash simply stared at Cobalt, which once again made him uncomfortable, and he looked down and away. Twilight simply sighed and shook her head as they kept walking. Cobalt noticed that Spike was lagging behind the whole time, and decided to hang back a little bit. Twilight obviously took notice of this and decided to let everyone else go ahead while she stayed back to keep an eye on things.

“... your name is Spike, right?” Spike looked up at him. “Sorry, I’m just… I’m a little more comfortable talking with a Dragon, I’m not used to ponies at all.”

“Yeah, my name’s Spike. Yours is Cobalt right?” Cobalt nodded. “I’m sorry about earlier, it’s kind of the same thing with you, only, I’ve never been around dragons before. I just don’t know what to say.”

“Well you’re doing a pretty good job so far.” Cobalt said with a slight smile. Spike looked up at him and cracked a small smile himself. “You know, you smell… different than other dragons.” Spike’s mild contempt quickly turned into anxiety.

“I do? Do I offend or something? I don’t smell anything, oh gosh I hope it’s not bad-”

“Oh no no no! I don’t mean you smell bad, just… you smell like you've been dipped in magic dust. Were you around someone when they cast a spell today?” Spike quickly calmed himself and regained what little composure he had before.

“You can smell magic?” He asked in amazement.

“Yes I can, actually, most dragons can catch a whiff of it. You smell like you've been around it for a very long time. You must have been taken in by Twilight when you were just a baby.”

“An egg, actually. Twilight hatched me with her magic.” Cobalt stopped dead in his tracks.

“She… she hatched you? With magic? Wow… your element must be magic then!” Cobalt said enthusiastically. Spike looked at him in confusion, which made Cobalt change his tone quickly. “You don’t know about elements?”

“I don’t know about anything dragon!” Said Spike in frustration, making Cobalt step back a little. Spike quickly noticed his growing temper and cooled off. “Sorry. It’s just been something on my mind for the past few years.” Cobalt loosened up and nodded.

“Well, I would like to know a little about ponies myself, maybe we could exchange information?” Spike looked at Cobalt surprisingly.

“Y-you mean it?”

“You bet I do! Now c’mon, let’s not get too far behind.” Cobalt said as I got on all fours and ran over to the rest of the group. Spike felt like the world’s weight was just lifted off his shoulders. As he started to catch up to the group, he passed Twilight, who looked at him with a smug grin.

“Told you so.” She stated proudly.

“Ah quiet you.” Spike said as he bumped his shoulder against Twilight, both of them laughing.

Spike was excited, this was the best chance he had to learn what it meant to be a dragon, something that had been plaguing him for years. He looked at Cobalt, who seemed to slowly start to open up to Applejack, Rarity and even Fluttershy, who started talking to him too. Dash didn't seem too ecstatic that he was there but she was coping. This was certainly a strange… and a little awkward encounter, but things seemed to start easing off, and maybe even getting better. All he could do was hope for the best and see what happens. Like it’s ever been any different?

Author's Note:

Well in this one I wanted to try and convey Cobalt's awkwardness, he's not a timid person, but you'll see how much we get into that as the story progresses.

I hope you guys like it <3