• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 3,455 Views, 110 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 7 "Song of Ran'sea" - Jacoboby1



Spike is reunited with his long lost sister Ran'sea. But the reunion with the rest of his family is far from joyous when somepony tries to assasinate him during a rite of passage ceremony. Can Private find the anciet grudge that caused this?

  • ...
3
 110
 3,455

Chapter 5 "Tunnel to Truth"

Chapter 5
“Tunnel to Truth”

Perspective: Private Eye

“Any luck Spike?” I asked, sticking my head in the tunnel where we found the orange scale.

“I can’t really see anything, hold on,” Spike called before the tunnel became illuminated. “I don’t see anything weird here.”

I looked over at Twilight who was sticking her nose in a book. “Twi? What’s up?”

“I’m looking through this guide book to northern Equestria,” Twilight said, shifting through the pages. “Vol’vagia’s fire, no matter how strong, probably didn’t cause an earthquake.”

“You think so?” I asked.

“Aside from making the place very hot,” She said. “I doubt launching the fire to the ceiling would cause any form of seismic activity.”

“Maybe we’re inside a dormant volcano or something?” Spike called from the tunnel.

“Unlikely,” Twilight said. “There aren’t any records of volcanos in this area. The closest one isn’t for several miles.”

“So what do you think?” I asked.

“I don’t think, I reference,” Twilight said, holding a book with various lines over a map. “This, is a chart of the various lay and fault lines under Equestria. With a little calculation, I have determined that that tunnel passes straight through it.”

“Hey!” Spike cried. “It does fork off! I didn’t notice it before! This one looks like it was dug in a hurry.”

“Might’ve been an escape attempt,” I said. “It probably got scared off by fire shooting everywhere, and dug it’s way right into the fault line, that’s what caused the earthquake.”

Spike came out of the tunnel, “It’s too small for you guys to fit through, but judging by the way it went, I think it’s heading straight for the main cavern.”

“What about the other path?” I asked.

“Blocked off,” Spike said. “Just like I said earlier.”

“This scale,” I said, looking at the orange scale. “judging by it’s size, it had to have come from a dragon about your size.”

“Smog!” Spike said firmly. “I knew he had it out for me!”

“Easy Spike,” Twilight said. “He was probably scared off during the commotion, I doubt he’d have time to stick around to shoot blue fire.”

“Why can’t we ever get the obvious culprits?” Spike said with a sigh.

“Welcome to the world of detective work,” I said, then turned to the fallen Stalactite. “Twi, could you see if you can lift this back up to where it was? I think I can make a trajectory guesstimate.”

“Give me a sec,” Twilight said, her horn glowing and slowly but surely the stalactite lifted off the ground and several rocks as well. The stalactite then floated up to the ceiling and repaired itself as if it never fell in the first place.

“Alicorn magic, still awesome,” Twilight said, smiling at her work.

I looked at where the soot was strongest on the stalactite. “Alright, if it was shot from there, then it would have to have been shot from...there.”

I pointed to the other side of the cavern from the entrance. There, was a rubbled up tunnel. Spike shook his head, “That wasn’t here when I first came in.”

“Looks like our culprit was digging too.” I said.

Twilight and I walked over and looked at the rubble, “It’ll take us hours to dig through all that. Even with my magic.”

“Arrgh!” Spike cried. “This is so frustrating! Rarity is probably worried sick right now!”

“Cool it, Romeo,” I said. Then, I looked up...and saw a hole in the ceiling, covered with soot that we didn’t see before…

“Come on guys, we got another lead but we have to see about a certain suspect…”

“Rarity first,” Spike said. “Then suspect.”

____________________________________________________

Perspective: Rarity


“Well, darling, I’m hardly an expert on draconic scales, but any accessories you use would have to harmonise with your natural coloration. My having a white coat makes it relatively easy, but for you… Hmmm,” I said, then lapsed into thoughtful silence. “Gold, of course would go well. As well as oranges, reds, and yellows.”

“I must admit,” Li’zael said, looking at me. “I am fascinated about about how much care you ponies make to appearances. If I had known what you just told me, Car’buncle wouldn’t have needed a smack to the head to realize I had a crush on him.”

“Oh appearances aren’t everything, darling,” I said. “But every little bit helps in the game of romance.”

“Sure as hell would’ve made mating season a lot more interesting,” She said with a laugh.

Alright, maybe I was being over dramatic, turns out Li’zael bucks the trend of in-laws being unreasonable. Could’ve done without being picked up like one of Sweetie’s dolls though.

In-laws...oh look at me thinking such a thing…

I heard some voices outside, Li’zael stuck her head back out. I recognized Private’s voice!

“Can we speak to Rarity for a bit?” He asked.

Li’zael chuckled, “If you’re going to plot an escape, just remember I took down dragons three times your size when I was a hatchling,” she said.

“Wow, you’re kind of awesome, Aunt Li’zael,” Spikey Wikey’s voice said.

“Oh don’t flatter me, nephew, just go inside and take care of Rarity. She and I were chatting up a storm before you arrived. Fine catch in my honest opinion,” Li’zael said.

YES!

I saw Spikey Wikey and my dear friends coming inside. I opened my front legs and hugged Spike ever so lovingly. “Oh Spike, thank goodness you’re okay,” I said.

Spike looked up at me and said, “Same here, have they been treating you okay?”

I smiled and said, “Turns out, I made a good impression on your family after all. At least, the majority of them.”

“That’s good to hear.” Twilight said. “We just came to see if you were okay.”

“I will assure you both I am quite alright.” I said, and then saw the look in Private’s eyes. I remained quiet as he walked up to me and whispered in my ear.

“If Li’zael mentions anything to do with blue fire, let us know somehow.” He said, rather urgently.

I nodded and whispered back, “I’ll see what I can do, I cannot promise much though.”

“Just do what you can,” Private said, as the three turned to leave. I watched as Spike looked back at me and just gave a reassuring smile. I was to be free soon enough…

I only hope somehow I can aid in this plight…

___________________________________________________

Perspective: Private Eye

It didn’t take long for us to find Tru’sent’s cavern. All it took was us asking a few dragons where it was. A few were suspicious after hearing what happened with the sacred fire. But eventually one told us where Tru’sent lived.

We arrived at the cave and it was certainly about as dark as Far’seer’s. It was barely illuminated by crystals and torches. Along the walls I saw various carvings, just like Far’seer’s cavern had.

“Okay, this is a little creepy.” Spike said. “I knew I was getting a bad vibe off that guy.”

“These carvings,” Twilight said, looking up. “What could they all mean?”

“A prophecy.”

All of us turned around and saw Far’seer standing there. The blind golden dragon towered over us. Twilight was the first to speak, “How did you manage to sneak up on us like that?”

“Because I saw how I was going to do it,” Far’seer said matter of factly.

“Right, Oracle,” I said.

“What are you doing here?” Spike asked.

“I’ve come hoping to answer your question.” Far’seer said. “These writings foretell the prophecy that your parents died to fulfill young Spar’kron.”

“That one about a dragon leading other dragons to a new age?” Spike said. “The one Shar’drel was trying to work around by having an egg with my dad?”

“Shar’drel and her brother were once my students,” Far’seer explained, her tone somber. “I hoped to teach them the old ways, before we were scattered and beastial. But, everything changed when your grandfather heard about the prophecy.”

“What, exactly, does this prophecy say?” Twilight asked.

“Scale of Violet, Scale of White, one will come to return dragons from this plight. To be led into a golden age of peace and harmony with all,” Far’seer said, as if reciting an ancient text.

“Scale of Violet and Scale of White,” I said. “That had to have been Spike’s parents.”

“Unfortunately, your grandfather didn’t receive the full prophecy in the translation I just gave you. Because as I was recieving it, I wrote it down in the ancient tongue you see around you.” She said, pointing to the various carvings.

“Dragons had a written language?” Twilight asked.

“We did, long before you were born Twilight Sparkle,” Far’seer said. “But, time has not been kind to the old ways, most dragons are born and raised in caves, scattered and lost all across the world. They give into the beastial sides of themselves, and only know bloodlust and greed.”

“So what translation did Shar’drel get?” I asked.

“Shar’drel was not supposed to see the prophecy, but her impatience led her to sneak into my innermost chambers and copy the prophecy I so foolishly wrote down. Her translation skills were poor, the symbols for black and white are very similar, with minute and subtle differences between them. An amateur like Shar’drel would never have noticed the difference.”

“And she believed she was the one foretold to mother this great dragon?” Twilight asked.

“Exactly, that’s what she told the chief at the time.” Far’seer answered.

“And they believed her?” Spike said, shaking his head.

“Shar’drel’s strength was great, and her knowledge vast. It was not too hard to imagine her being the mother of a strong and powerful leader,” Far’seer said, shaking her own head. “Like many a species, our kind only sees to what will benefit them. Shar’drel believed the prophecy foretold when she would give birth to a hero of war.”

“But, dad didn’t mate with her,” Spike said.

“I tried to persuade the chieftain to let me translate the prophecy better,” Far’seer said sadly. “But the old fool wouldn’t listen. He was going to be the grandfather to the greatest hero dragonkind has ever known, who was I to tell him otherwise?”

“But Spike’s dad fell in love with Fran’salel,” Twilight said.

“Indeed,” Far’seer said with a smile. “Absolutely pure was their love, what Thal’lan’s father failed to see was that a drake that had a good heart was what was needed. One that brought glory for dragonkind not through war, but through compassion and overcoming the lust for greed and blood plaguing our people.”

“That’s...me?” Spike asked.

“Possibly,” Far’seer quipped.

“Possibly?” I said. “You can see the future can’t you? Surely you know who the chosen dragon is.”

“I can only see what the future may become,” Far’seer said sagely. “My eyes see few absolutes. This prophecy is an absolute, but I cannot see all the pieces on the board.”

“Then can you tell us who tried to kill Spike?” Twilight asked.

Far’seer, tilted her head, “Do any of you feel a draft?”

“A draft?” Spike said.

I turned around, she was blind so she could feel if there was a draft. I then saw a pretty large boulder in the back. I grabbed it with magic and gave it a shove. Sure enough a tunnel appeared before me.

“Tru’sent was part of this too?” Spike asked.

“This just keeps getting more bizarre,” Twilight said.

_________________________________________________________

Perspective: Rarity

Well, this has certainly become quite interesting. Here I am, in the middle of a gathering of female dragons. I would have never thought dragonesses would be the least interested in fashion, but here they are. Lucky for me I brought some of my tools along. I had hoped to be inspired, after all. Li’zael let me out of the cave for a minute in order for this gathering to take place in front of it.

“So you see, darlings, it’s all about harmonizing the colors,” I said levitating my color wheel so they could get a better look. “The base color should, of course, be the color of your body scales. As you can see, your spines all harmonize quite well with your body color. Any accessories should be the same as your spines, or another harmonizing color. That is usually to the left or right of your base color, darlings.”

“Oh maybe Ta’lin will notice me,” One dragoness said.

“Please teach us your knowledge, oh Rarity!” Another cried.

“Now, darlings, don’t fret, it all comes down to simply being yourself when it comes to love,” I said. “Being honest with yourself is one of the bigger steps to take, really get to know the one you love and care for.”

Oh my goodness! I feel like the host of a talk show! Oh, well maybe if fashion doesn’t work out that’s always an option.

“Alright girls, that’s enough pony time,” Li’zael said, the dragonesses all flew off at that, most of them looking disappointed. As I put my things back in the case she said, “Seems you’ve left quite an impression.”

“I get that a lot, darling,” I said, heading back into the cave. “I do wonder if I’ll be able to open a dragon line when all this is over.”

“You certainly are optimistic,” Li’zael said, sticking her head in the small cave.

“Well, I just trust my friends. They’ll sort things out,” I said.

“I hope so. I would like to get to know my future in-law better,” Li’zael said.

I flushed, “Oh, well, that is a little ways off darling I…” Oh my goodness, I’m more flustered than a school filly. Spike has that effect on me it seems…

“Li’zael!”

Way to ruin the moment you hag…

That voice was Ele’sium’s, it came from outside. Li’zael groaned and stepped outside. I heard the two arguing and I decided to listen in, anything to help my friends…

“What is that pony still doing here?” Ele’sium snarled at Li’zael.

“She’s being held until the culprit can be found for the sacred fire incident,” Li’zael said cooly.

“Do we even need to do all this foolery?” Ele’sium snarled again. “It’s clear what happened, that Spar’kron wanna be failed to pass the test. That’s what caused Vol’vagia to become angered and the earthquake to occur. Which nearly got Ran’sea killed I might add!”

“Ran’sea is not an egg anymore,” Li’zael said, “She’s well old enough to have known the risks.”

“That foul Spike must have tricked her then!” Ele’sium practically roared. “They should be gone from this place! Never to return!”

“Is this truly about them?” Li’zael asked. “Or your failure to control your niece?”

“How dare you try to tell me how to raise my child!” Ele’sium growled.

“She isn’t your child to begin with.” Li’zael replied.

“I still raised her when no dragon would!” Ele’sium cried. “She’s practically my daughter in all but laying her egg! I will not see some upstart change that! We don’t even know if that was the real Spar’kron in the first place!”

“If you would pay attention, you would’ve seen both Fran’salel and Thal’lan in him.” Li’zael replied.

“I refuse to believe that mongrul is Fran’salel’s son!” Ele’sium cried.

“If you’re trying to convince me to let you near Rarity, you have another thing coming. Need I remind you who could go claw to claw with Shar’drel back in her prime?” Li’zael said, a bit of a snarl in her voice.

That’s when I saw...a flash of blue fire...it had to have come from…

“Using your blood’s fire huh?” Li’zael said.

“Let this be a warning, this fire I carry inside me is one of the most destructive. No matter how strong you are, my fire can still hurt you.” Ele’sium said with a growl.

“Get out, now Ele’sium…” Li’zael growled in turn.

“Fine! But I will not hear any more nonsense from you!” Ele’sium said, and I heard her walk away.

Blue fire...just like Private said…

I had to get the message out! Quickly!

Li’zael stuck her head back in and said, “Sorry about that, Ele’sium may be my sister-in-law, but she does irritate me.”

“Me as well darling,” I said with a sigh. “I just wish I could get along with the whole family as well as we get along.”

“To get along perfectly with somepony or dragon is a pipe dream,” Li’zael said with a laugh. “There’s always going to be something you don’t like about someone. The key, is learning how to overcome it.”

“Li’zael?”

She stuck her head out again and said to the stranger, “Oh, Far’seer? How can I help you?”

“I wish to speak with the white one, I have foreseen I am needed here,” the old dragoness said.

Oh thank the stars her foresight is so good!

“Alright, whatever you say, you old bat,” Li’zael said, stepping aside.

“Always such a charmer,” Far’seer said with a chuckle. Then the blind dragoness stuck her head in, her blind eyes startling when up close. “Hello Rarity, you wanted to have some dragon pass on a message?” She said with a dragon equivalent of a grin.

“Your timing is impeccable.” I said, I then went to where her ear would be and said quietly, “I want you to find the others and say this…”

___________________________________________________

Perspective: Private Eye

About an hour later, the three of us arrived at the center of the cavern. I saw every dragon gathered around us. Several of them I noticed were now wearing jewelry on their spines...I wonder what was with the fashion bump?

Car’buncle was standing before me, Li’zael at his side with Rarity at her feet. Rarity stood there, looking at us with a mix of apprehension and hope. Thankfully, Far’seer got the message to us. Now, I had a case…

I saw Tru’sent was standing on the opposite side of Car’buncle. I couldn’t help but detect a note of smugness off him. Smog’krok was at his mother’s side, glaring at Spike the whole time. Spike didn’t look back, just kept moving forward.

I noticed Ran’sea among the dragonesses, she was standing behind Ele’sium’s tail. The dragoness was protecting Ran’sea as if she was a valuable jewel…

I focused my attention back on Car’buncle as she spread his wings to silence the crowd. Finally, the dragon chief spoke, “I have given you enough time to gather evidence and present your case.”

“We have used that time well,” Twilight said.

“We shall see,” Tru’sent snarled.

“So,” Car’buncle said, looking at me, “I’ve given you the task of finding the culprit responsible for this attempted assassination on my nephew. So, say the name of this culprit.”

I gave him a silver eyed look and said, “I’m afraid, it’s culprits, chief.”