• Published 26th Oct 2013
  • 2,563 Views, 20 Comments

My Sister - fallen starr



When the Elements of Harmony are defeated, three little fillies are left to pick up the pieces. In Canterlot, a few Royals struggle with the same problems.

  • ...
4
 20
 2,563

My Sister

The Elements of Harmony Defeated

Newspapers and magazines all across Equestria heralded the news. There wasn't any pony who didn't know: The Elements of Harmony had fallen in their last battle. The evil had been defeated, of course, but the nation still mourned the heroes. None more than the little fillies huddled together in blankets in their club house.

The rain pouring from the sky only intensified the somber mood in the normally joyous place. There were no giggles or whispers of secret plans. The usual light hearted mood of the clubhouse had been replaced with a muffled silence, punctuated only by the sobs and sniffles of the three fillies.

It had been a week since the declaration of a new holiday, and a week since the fillies had been shuffled through funerals and memorial speeches. So many things were still happening, but it had been all signing papers and attending celebrations of the lives the Elements had lived. What they needed was each other.

They hadn't said a word since they had arrived. Apple Bloom had been the first, wanting to be in the clubhouse her sister had helped build then given to her. Sweetie Belle had came not long after, searching for the comfort of someone who truly understood, and snuggled in next to Apple Bloom. Finally Scootaloo had arrived, lying on the other side of the farm filly.
It was hard to tell how much time had passed, not that the three fillies cared. Occasionally one of them would break down, and the others would wrap her in a tight embrace.

The Elements of Harmony were invincible. Nothing could harm them. After all, they had the Princesses’ blessing. One was even a Princess herself!

Not that it had stopped what had happened. The three fillies had thought their role models were invincible. Now they were faced with the mortality of the ponies they had looked up to.

"AJ said she hated days like today." Apple Bloom's voice was hushed, but compared to the silence before, it seemed to fill the room. "She always said they made it impossible to work. But I always loved 'em. She would always have hot cocoa for me when I woke up, and make me pancakes. We would do house chores, and then she would always make some real good soup for lunch, ‘cause by then I'd be getting cold. The fire in the living room wasn't really enough to reach the whole house."
Her voice broke on the last word. A sob shook her body, and then another. She gasped for breath, trying to control her emotions. "And then she'd play with me the rest of the day. All day. Mac would play some, but he was out in the barn a lot. And Granny would fall asleep. AJ and I would be together all day. We had so much fun. I would get to help her make chili for dinner, too. And after dinner, we would get a blanket and wrap up together, and she would read to me."

Apple Bloom squeezed her eyes together and shook her head. "I just want her back," she whispered. "I need my sister." Sweetie Belle stroked Apple Bloom's hair, making soft, comforting noises.

Scootaloo watched, tears silently falling onto her cheeks. "Me and Dash didn't do stuff like that. I mean, I was only ever at her house once. Mom and dad didn't like her too much, but she was teaching me to fly for free, so they didn't tell me I couldn't hang out with her. We never hung out on days like today. She was always busy with Pinkie. But on those really great days, where the sky was clear and the sun was bright, she would take me flying." Scootaloo smiled, even as more tears fell. "She would take me up onto clouds. She would show me wing exercises. I know doctors say I can't ever really fly, but Dash said that didn't mean I shouldn't keep my wings in shape and stuff." Scootaloo let out a small laugh. "I asked her why she put up with me, one day. I said I wasn't even really a pegasus, I can't fly or work weather or anything. And she said that I had a pegasus heart, and that was all that mattered."

Her voice started shaking as she continued, though she never lost the smile. "She said it didn't matter that I couldn't fly through the air. She was really proud of what I could do, and how awesome I was on a scooter. Then she asked me if I thought Fluttershy was less of a pegasus because she didn't fly. And really, that made me feel really good about myself. She always made me feel good about myself, even when I failed at something. She was a great sister, even if she wasn't related to me.

"I miss her a lot too." She leaned over and nuzzled Apple Bloom, who pulled her into the hug she and Sweetie Belle were in. Sweetie wrapped a hoof tightly around Scootaloo.

Sweetie took a deep breath. Then another. Then another. "I think the hardest part is knowing I should have been nicer." The words were laced with anguish. "We didn't really like the same things, but she was my sister. I wish I had let her make more clothes for me. Or let her teach me about color palettes and all that stuff. It always just seemed so boring. Especially after she would go outside and play and even get dirty with me, and I wouldn't ever do any of that fancy stuff she liked. I...I feel like I should have. It would have made her happy. It would have been better than fighting with her before she left." Sweetie Belle barely squeaked out the last few words.

They held each other close. There wasn't much they could do, but be there for each other. More stories were told, throughout the day, and soon the sun was setting. They would have stayed there for the night had no pony bothered them. But Big Mac's voice floated up through the windows. "Girls, it's time to come outta there. Scootaloo’s and Sweetie Belle's parents are here. Come on now." The three fillies looked at each other, gave each other one last hug, and slowly walked out.

Sweetie Belle ran into her mother's open embrace. Then she climbed onto her father’s back, her face pressed into his mane as they walked away.

Scootaloo trudged over to her parents. Her mother asked if she was okay, but Scootaloo just kept walking. The earth pony couple exchanged worried looks before waving goodbye to Big Mac and following their daughter.

Big Mac looked over at Apple Bloom. "You ready to get back to the house?" he asked. Not looking up from the ground, Apple Bloom shrugged. "Come on, then. Granny’s getting worried."

Slowly, the brother and sister walked through the rain to their farmhouse, both imagining another sister walking with them.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! New sad story for you. Let me know what you think?

Oh, oh, and guess what? I totally had this one looked at before hand! The lovely NikitaKitten and the awesome Not Worthy helped me with this. They worked hard to make sure this is as good as it is (don't blame them for the bad writing, that's all me).

Anyway, I hope you guys like it, and I'll see you soon!

♥Allie