• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 956 Views, 7 Comments

The World Duel Championships X - The Avenger



100+ countries, 8 destinations, 7 ponies, one epic duel!

  • ...
1
 7
 956

The Scorching Hot Lion

The Scorching Hot Lion

The morning after Wang Hu Zhong helped Star Swirl with their teamwork, they are all at a restaurant enjoying breakfast, while Andromeda looks for information on Team Wild Fang. “Any luck yet, Andi?” Tempest asked as he drinks some orang juice.

“Just about,” Andromeda said. “Ah! Here it is. Everything we need to know about Team Wild Fang. It says here that they’re from a country called Savanna.”

“Isn’t that the country that recently won its independence from Camelia?” Radiance asked.

“The very same. Apparently, the country’s president named it after his daughter, who serves as the teams medical member.” Andromeda added. “And Dashan is right. Wild Fang’s leader is a unicorn. Amazing!” Andromeda said when she sees the team's record. “Team Wild Fang has won every single match they have been in since the beginning of the African qualifier and onwards.”

“That means they won two matches in a row every time,” Sagittario said as he and the others get up and look at the screen.

“So who are the team members?” Tempest asked.

“I’m looking that up now,” Andromeda said as she lowers the screen to revel pictures of the members and their status on the team. They all gasp in shock when they see a unicorn with a dark green mane that spikes high above his head along with a ponytail that drapes behind his head, a brilliant azure coat, and sharp light green lion-like eyes that have long scars shaped like cross going across them as the team leader. Its Leone!

==================================================================

One week ago, in the harsh desert of Africa, a day has passed since Team Star Swirl defeated Team Wang Hu Zhong in the first round of the World Duel Championships X. In the country of Savanna, a unicorn with a brilliant azure coat, wearing a dark brown cloak with a hood, is dragging a large box across the ground. He’s sweating due to both the heat and the labor. “Hey!” Someone suddenly called out. Looking up, the unicorn sees five thugs on a nearby boulder. “We want whatever you’re dragging in that box.” One said, but the unicorn ignores them and keeps walking.

“Stop right there!” Another thug said as they all surround the unicorn.

“You’re heading for Rock City, isn’t that right? Sorry, it’s just that we need cash, and we can get it any way we can.”

“Don’t think too badly of us. Even if you're going there for the tournament, it's just that the less competition we have, the better.”

“Hmmmm,” was all that came from the unicorn.

“Say something! Nopony ignores us around here, pal!” A thug said as he kicks the box, unknowingly opening it. “Huh? Its full of useless rocks!” He said out of shock. “Why are you dragging these around?” Suddenly, the unicorn jumps into the air and lands a hundred feet behind the thugs. He then fires a magical beam at them which send them flying as the shockwave removes his hood, showing his dark green mane that spikes high above his head along with a ponytail that drapes behind his head, and sharp light green lion-like eyes that have long scars shaped like cross going across them. Its Leone!

When the dust clears, all the thugs are coughing out dust. “That was just a lucky shot! We’ll remember you!” One said as they all run towards Rock City. Leone then grabs the chains connected to the box and continues walking. Eventually, he reaches the edge of a cliff and sees a rundown city, clearly having been ravaged by a war. There’s not even any paved roads, just dust.

“So that’s Rock City, the capital of Savanna,” Leone said as he drops the chain and walks down the cliff.

==================================================================

A bit later in the city’s stadium, there are large group of duelists, about 150, have gathered, and not all of them are zebras. “Duelists from around the world!” A fully grown zebra with a large battle scar across his face and wearing a dark green military uniform said. “Thank you for coming to our country’s representative selection tournament. I am the president, Askari, and this is my daughter, Savanna,” he said as he directs everyone's attention to his left, where a female zebra wearing a small vest and golden rings on her legs and ears. “I bid you all welcome to our country, Savanna. As you all know, our country recently won its independence from the oppressing country of Camelia, and so, in order for our country to develop and prosper, we must first make the name of ‘Savanna’ known throughout the world. That is why our country will compete in the World Duel Championships X. Even if we manage to win the African continental qualifying tournament, which will decide the representative team for all of Africa, the name of Savanna will become well-known throughout the planet. For that reason, I have decided that any zebra, pony, horse, minotaur, griffin or any other creature can compete in our country’s representative selection tournament. That way, the strongest duelist in the world will act as our Savanna’s representatives in the world championships. My daughter, Savanna, will act as the teams medical member. As for the rest of the team, what I am looking for in you is strength, world-class level power, the ability to focus solely on victory, drive, and battle instincts like those of a wild beast. Duelist who are here for your own reasons from other countries, if you want to go to the world championships, then win! Win and earn a spot as our country’s representative. Then use the fame to spread the glory of our country’s name across the globe.”

“I’ll do it! It works for me!” A unicorn from Haywaii said.

“I’ll get back at those guys who eliminated me from the Nefertia qualifiers! They won’t now what hit them!”

“Ha! These guys are a bunch of yahoos,” Leone said as he looks around the crowd. But this is the only way for me to go to the world championships. Is there anyone in this crowd who can become my teammates?

“I wonder what this card is for?” A male zebra with curly black hair packed into an afro, wearing a long tribal red coat, a black band on his neck, long, gold, circular earrings, a gold headband that slightly pushes up his Afro, as well as a blue scarf that’s golden on its ends, asked as he examines a yellow card he was given when he arrived.

“What’s wrong with you?” A blue, buck-toothed minotaur asked the zebra. The zebra notices that he’s also holding a yellow card. “You don’t even know what that thing is? Look around,” the buck-toothed minotaur said. Sure enough, other contestants are holding cards, each a different color. “There are 5 types of cards: blue, red, yellow, orange and green. They’re used to divide us into groups.”

“Divid into groups?” The zebra asked.

“Listen to me right now!” President Askari suddenly said after five differently colored stadiums are rolled out to the field. “I declare Savanna’s World Duel Championships X representative selection tournament to be open! Please, go to the stadium that corresponds to the color of the card we have given you,” he said. After a few minutes, all five stadiums have an even number of participants, 30 for each one. Leone is in the red group. “Each group will fight in a battle royal in your specifically color coded arena. The last duelist standing in each group will come forward and receive one of only 5 winners bracelets,” President Askari added as he picks up one of the 5 bracelets to show to the competitors. It’s metallic with a black line running down it, a small gray box in the line.

“I get it,” the zebra said as he stands next to the bucked-tooth minotaur. “There can be up to 5 regular players on a representative team, and there are 5 groups divided by color.”

“So that means that the duelist who win the battle royal and get a bracelet will be the representatives,” the bucked-tooth minotaur assumed as he gets ready.

“The time has come, everyone,” President Askari said as he sees that all the duelist are ready. “Let the duel begin! Three … two … one … GO!

“Ow!” The zebra cried as the minotaur punches him right as the duels begins. “You can’t do that!”

“It’s your own fault for letting your guard down, kid,” the minotaur replied.

“What do you mean?”

“Smarten up. Here it doesn’t matter what you do in order to win. Get it?”

“There they go,” Savanna said as her father sits back down. “Dad, are you sure this is the best way?”

“I’m afraid it's the only way. After the war, most of our soldiers were critically injured. The only way for us to get representatives is from other countries.”

“I understand. But are you sure anyone in this group can become our representatives?” Savanna asked.

“Uh!”

“What is it, DJ Zazu?” President Askari asked the zebra DJ next to him.

“I think I know who one of them is. Look!” DJ Zazu said as he points towards the red group. There, Savanna and Askari see that Leone is sending them all flying with magical blasts.

“You’re in my way! Move it now!” Leone shouted as he sends 10 of them flying out of the stadium right away. However, recognizing that he’s a threat, the remaining 19 contestants quickly surround him. “Time to take care of this,” Leone said as he prepare a spell, while the wind begins to swirl around him. “King Lion Tearing Blast!” Leone shouted as three tornadoes appear around him, getting everyone’s attention.

“What is that!?” A female griffin in the green group asked.

“It ends here. Now!” Leone roared as the three tornadoes pick up all of the other contestants in the red group. When it dissipates, all of the other contestants scream as they fall to the ground, outside of the ring.

“Impossible!” One of the bested competitors said.

“Who is this guy?” Another asked.

“Ha! I’m your worst nightmare, that’s who!” Leone said, having overheard them.

Completely shocked, President Askari, Savanna, and DJ Zazu all stare in awe. Giving his head a good shake, DJ Zazu says, “Okay, red group. Your duel is over. The undisputed winner there is Leone.”

“No way!”

“Its over already!?”

“Fair enough,” a male griffin in the blue group said. He has brown hair with orange bangs that are complimented by matching extensions, dim green eyes decorated with orange face paint underneath his right eye, which is a stylized sun. He wears a long green shirt with a yellow stripe on the chest, and a black and yellow coat, and underneath the collar of his jacket he has a tanned colored scarf. He also wears black and yellow gloves with bandage-like wrap halfway up his arms. “But now it’s my turn!”

“I’ll take that,” Leone said as he takes a bracelet from the table President Askari and Savanna are sitting at.

“Of course you will. You have earned it,” President Askari said.

While examining the bracelet, Leone notices that Savanna is staring at him. “Uh, why are you staring at me like that?”

“Oh! What!? Was I staring?” Savanna nervously said while blushing. Suddenly, they hear all of the contestants in the blue group screaming. They see that it’s a griffin who’s doing this. The griffin has brown hair with orange bangs that are complimented by matching extensions, dim green eyes decorated with orange face paint underneath his right eye, which is a stylized sun. He wears a long green shirt with a yellow stripe on the chest, and a black and yellow coat, and underneath the collar of his jacket he has a tanned colored scarf.

“Oh. Not bad at all,” Leone noted after the griffin sends 5 contestants flying at once with a staff. The staff seems to be missing half of itself, as it’s curved surface suddenly flattens out about halfway. The tip of the staff as an amulet that looks like the sun, having a gold gem in the center while orang colors metal comes out of it, and again only half of it is there.

“Okay, no more fooling around!” The griffin said as he quickly breaks through a small barricade the other competitors had built, sending them all flying.

“Blue group, duel over! The winner is Nile!” DJ Zazu said as the griffin, Nile, puts his staff on a hock on his back.

“So his name is Nile, huh?” Leone said as Nile walks up the steps of the booth and takes his bracelet.

“Green group, duel over. The winner is Sahara!” DJ Zazu suddenly said. Looking toward the green group, Leone sees a female griffin who has brown hair with blue bangs that are complimented by matching extensions, dim red eyes decorated with blue face paint underneath her left eye, which is a stylized moon. She wears a long purple shirt with a blue stripe on the chest, and a black and blue coat, and underneath the collar of her jacket she has a tanned colored scarf. She’s also carrying a staff thats like Nile’s, but has an amulet that looks like the moon, with a dark blue gem while the metal is crescent-shaped.

“Looks like I beat you again, huh sis,” Nile said as Sahara walks up the booth.

“Very funny,” Sahara said in a slight raspy voice. “Those you were fighting just let you win,” she added as she takes her bracelet.

“I take it that you two are twins, right?” Leone asked.

“Yeah, we are.” Nile said.

“So, what are these bracelets for?” Sahara asked Savanna.

“I’m not supposed to tell you, but I can tell you this: you're not going to like it,” Savanna said, which confuses the three.

“Orange group, duel over! The winner is Nitestone!” DJ Zazu suddenly said. Looking over to the orange group, the four see a Diamond Dog wearing a gray mask, concealing all of his face except for his right eye, which is yellow, and wearing a tan trench coat and a black fedora, hiding most of his sand brown coat.

“Four down, everyone. Now only the yellow group remains,” President Askari said as everyone’s attention is now focused on the yellow group, where only 8 competitors remain. Leone, looking towards the yellow group, sees a zebra with a hurt arm using barrage techniques on one of the griffins.

“That guy…”

“I won't lose! Here me!?” The buck-toothed minotaur suddenly shouted as he clobbers some of the competitors and sends them flying, one of the hitting the zebra, knocking the two out. “Yes, sir! In your face!”

“Yellow group, duel over. The winner is Marcus!” DJ Zazu said as Marcus, the buck-toothed minotaur, runs up the stars of the booth. Soon, two solders put the five bracelets on their wrists.

“Congratulations,” President Askari said to the five. “Here we have the five heroes who have survived the fierce battle royal and we all salute you.”

So, these three are our allies? Nile thought to himself, his sister thinking of the same thing as they look at the other three.

“Now I can go to the world championships,” Marcus said as he looks at the bracelet he was given, while the other competitors are all cursing at them, saying that they were just lucky or that they won’t survive the first round of the African qualifiers.

“Now then, my friends,” President Askari suddenly said, “we will begin the final selection process.”

“You’ll what!?” A shocked Leone asked while Nile, Sahara, Nitestone and Marcus all just stare at him.

“What are you taking about?” Both Nile and Sahara asked.

“The final selection process? You mean that our places as representatives hasn’t been decided?” Marcus asked.

“You five are certainly strong duelist,” President Askari said. “Those bracelets are proof of your skills and talents. However, sometimes in a battle royal, there are those who win by pure luck, not by skill and talent. We will test you further to see if you truly possess the power befitting a Savanna rep. We must be sure now, mustn’t we?” At that, the small gray box suddenly turns white as numbers appear on it. It’s a timer! And its set for 24 hours.

“Hey!”

“What’s with this?” Marcus demanded.

“The rules are very simple,” President Askari continued. “You must face all of the duelist here in a 24 hour battle. You must protect that bracelet until the very end. Is that clear?”

“Twenty-four hours!?” A stunned Marcus said as he and the other 4 turn around.

“Did he just…?”

“It means that it’s not finished yet.” Two of the competitors said.

“That is correct,” President Askari said, having overheard them, as he gets up. “And so, the remaining duelists may challenge these five, and if they win, can take the bracelets that they are currently wearing. After dueling for 24 hours, those holding the bracelets will become the true reps. These are the rules, so good luck to you all,” he added, which makes all of the competitors cheer in excitement, having been given a second chance.

“I see. So that’s how it is,” Leone said.

“Well, this way, any weaklings who got lucky won’t hold onto their victory,” Nile added.

“No way!” A panicking Marcus said.

“The duel stage is,” President Askari said as the gates of the arena they’re in suddenly open, “all of Rock City and the three kilometers surrounding it. Do your best to protect that precious bracelet,” President Askari said to the five holding the bracelets.

“You got to be kidding me!?” A completely shocked Marcus said. “I’ve worked so hard to get the right to be a representative, so I won’t hand it over so easily. I can tell you that much! Get our of my way!” Marcus shouted as he suddenly aces off, running through the crowd and out into the city.

“Looks like there’s no other way,” Nile said.

“We just have to do it,” Leone added.

“Let the final selection process begin!” President Askari suddenly said, which makes the timers on the bracelets start simultaneously, while the other contestants all charge at the 4.

==================================================================

Four hours later, in the Rock City’s downtown, Leone, Nile, Sahara and Nitestone have just defeated 20 of the competitors. “Humph! Come back and challenge me again when you’re all grown up, kiddies,” Leone said, while Nile sends 5 more flying.

“So … So strong. These four are too strong for us,” an earth pony said as he gets up before he and the others leave.

“You guys are pretty good,” Leone said to the others.

“So are you, Leone,” Sahara said. Suddenly, Nitestone puts a paw on Sahara’s shoulder and directs them to their west, where they see 20 more of the contestants.

“I found them! Over here!” One said, making them all run towards them.

“Just had over your bracelets and you might just walk away!”

“Ugh! Here we go again,” an annoyed Leone said.

“They’re just gonna keep coming,” Sahara pointed out.

“They are,” Nile said. “We’re leaving,” Nile added as he and Sahara begin to turn around and walk away.

“You’re running away?” Leone asked them.

“There’s still 20 hours left to kill,” Nile pointed out.

“Right. Our policy is to avoid meaningless fights,” Sahara added.

“Maybe I overestimated you two,” Leone said.

“What did you say?!” Both Nile and Sahara asked.

“If you want to fight, go ahead and fight,” Nile added. “But isn’t it your goal to protect that bracelet and become a representative of this country and go out into the world?”

“Yeah. Isn’t that what’s important?” Sahara asked.

“That is why I will fight,” Leone replied, which confuses the twin griffins. “I have an opponent that I must and will defeat in the world championships. In order to stand before her without shame, I cannot turn my back on the likes of them,” Leone said as he and Nitestone get ready. Looking to each other, Nile and Sahara both nod in agreement as they grab their staffs.

“You are right…”

“We will fight with you,” Nile began and Sahara finished as they get ready.

“You four are going down!” One of the competitors said. Suddenly, Nitestone jumps up into the air, towards the group. As he nears landing, he kicks the contestants, knowing them out cold. Nile and Sahara then attack some of the contesters also.

“What up? I thought your policy was to avoid meaningless fights?” Leone asked the siblings.

“Give it a rest. We do whatever we feel like,” Sahara responded, not noticing that a unicorn is sneaking his way out of a nearby alleyway.

“I got you now, Sahara,” the unicorn said as he fires a magical beam at her, but she quickly dodges it. “Whoa! She’s fast,” the unicorn said as he turns and runs down the ally he came.

“Where that snake go!?” Sahara asked as she runs after the unicorn.

“Sahara, wait for me!” Nile said as he frantically follows his sister down the ally. Soon, the two reach a small area full of junk and places to hide in plain sight.

“Show yourself, you coward!” Sahara taunted. Suddenly, 20 different magical beams all fire from different directions at the two, barely giving them enough time to avoid them.

“Ha! You two let your guards down,” the unicorn who attack Sahara earlier said as he and his 19 unicorn friends pop out from their hiding places.

“So this is an ambush, huh?” Sahara asked.

“I told you not to run off like that. Now look what happens when you do,” Nile said. “But this is still a dirty trick!”

“Save it! It doesn’t matter how you do it, as long as you win in the end,” one said.

“Lets get ‘em!” Another said as they prepare more blasts at the two.

“Hey, can we ton on this fight?” Someone suddenly asked as the ambushers fire. Suddenly, a tornado appears and blocks the magical blasts, redirecting them to the sky before it disappears.

“What was that!?” One of the attackers asked, only to get his answer when Leone and Nitestone land on a nearby crate.

“You boys should leaner how to play fair and square, especially when facing a girl,” Leone said.

“Oh, man! Its Leone and Nitestone!”

“B-b-b-but how!? How did you two beat the others?” One asked.

“Ha! You don’t know me very well, do you?” Leone replied. “Nile, Sahara, finish this! Hit them hard and fast.”

“You heard him,” Nile said to his sister. Moving fast, the two soon join their staffs together, which begins to give off a powerful energy. “Mystic Zone!” They both shouted as a circle of magic plates, half of them glowing gold while the other half glow silver, appear around themselves and their ambushers. A small explosion then happens, knocking out all of the ambushers out cold.

“Ha! Now that was fun, wasn’t it?” Leone asked as Nile and Sahara separate the staffs.

“Thanks a lot, Leone, Nitestone,” Nile said. “But why did you help us?”

“I wasn’t planning on helping you. I just did what I felt like,” Leone replied, the four of them not noticing that a male zebra with curly black hair packed into an afro, wearing a long tribal red coat, a black band on his neck, long, gold, circular earrings, a gold headband that slightly pushes up his Afro, as well as a blue scarf that’s golden on its ends, is watching from a safe distance.

“Wow! Those four are … amazing!” He said.

==================================================================

“Nile, Sahara, why did you enter this selection tournament?” Leone asked the siblings as the four walk down Rock City’s main street. Its sunset as the day begins to draw to a close.

“It was our only chance,” Sahara answered.

“Right. There weren’t any good duelist in our home country.” Nile added.

“Since the world championships is fought on teams that have a minimum of three members…”

“There was no other way for us to qualify for it. We knew that if we came here, we can meet strong duelists.”

“And when we get into the world championships, we can duel strong ones. That’s why we entered.” Sahara finished.

“I see,” Leone said. “So, whats your story, Nitestone,” Leone asked the silent Diamond Dog, but he doesn’t say anything. “What is with you? Since we meet, you haven’t said a single thing. You mute or something?” Leone asked, getting a nod from Nitestone.

“A strong, silent type, huh?” Sahara asked.

“What about you, Leone?” Nile asked. “You mentioned there’s an opponent you need to defeat in the world championships.”

“Nile, Sahara, Nitestone, you all got the right stuff,” Leone simply said, which surprises the three.

“Hey, Leone, Nile, Sahara, Nitestone!” A familiar voice suddenly called out from their east. Looking in that direction, they see Savanna running up to them, carrying a small box on her back.

“Savanna? What are you doing here?” Sahara asked.

“I figured you guys were getting hungry, so I baked you some cookies,” Savanna answered as she takes the box and holds it out to them.

“Oh, you did?” Leone said as he opens the box and takes a cookie out. Its chocolate chip. “Mmm, not bad at all,” Leone said as he takes a bite while Nile and Sahara take some cookies too.

“No, seriously, these are amazing!” Sahara said as she quickly finishes her cookie and gets another.

“Say, Savanna, why are you the teams medical member?” Leone asked.

“Well, one reason is that I used to help in a medical camp during the war, so I know how to heal really nasty wounds. Another reason is that my dad wants me to see the world, something he never had the chance to do,” Savanna answered. “He was a general in the war for our independence, so I never really had much time to spend with him growing up. When the war ended, he became the president so he never realized his dream of seeing the world.”

“He really does care of you, huh?” Nile said.

“Yeah, which is pretty much evident when he named this entire country after me,” Savanna said, which makes them all laugh.

“Hey, you guys!” A voice suddenly called out. Acting quickly, Leone, Nile, Sahara and Nitestone all take on a fighting stance as they turn around. They all see a utility hole open, and see Marcus’ head pop up. He gasps in surprise when he sees that they’re all ready to blow his head off.

“Oh! It’s you,” Leone said as he and the others calm down.

“Ha-ha! Come down here, guys,” Marcus said as he heads back down the utility hole. Slightly reluctant, the five of them follow Marcus down into the subway systems, and follow him to metal door.

Marcus opens the door and lets them into … “An underground shelter?” Nile asked as he sees a small room that has several barrels of food, water and other utilities needed for living.

“Yeah,” Marcus said as he closes the door. “There are several large underground shelters scattered around Rock City. It’s a good thing I looked that up before coming here.”

“Have you’ve been down here hiding this whole time?” Nile asked the buck-toothed minotaur.

“What’s the point in fighting all of those goofballs?” Marcus responded. “If we stay hidden in here for the remaining 10 hours, we automatically get the representative positions. Isn't that right?”

“I suppose so,” Sahara said.

“Say, Marcus,” Leone began to say. “Why did you enter this selection tournament anyway?”

“In my country there’s a super strong, talented team of duelist. There’s no way I could be able to beat them in a fair fight. But in this county’s tournament, I stand a good chance of winning for sure. So there you have it,” Marcus answered.

“In other words, you ran away from a fight,” Leone said, which surprises Marcus.

“Huh? Say what?”

“Marcus, you totally fail the test.”

“Huh?” Suddenly, they all hear loud knocking coming from the door, as if someone is trying to break it down. “Oh, no! It’s the others!” Marcus said as he quickly runs to the door and seems to lean against it to keep it from falling over. “There’s too many! If they get in here, we’re doomed!”

“Move! I’ll send them all flying at once,” Leone boasted.

“Don’t do it!” Marcus said. “If you fight in a blade like this, we’ll get caught in the crossfire too! Grab those! We can use them to block the door,” Marcus said as he points towards the barrels.

“Guess there’s no choice,” Nile said as he, Leone, his sister Sahara, and Nitestone quickly run toward the barrels. However, Marcus sinisterly smiles, which catches Savanna’s attention.

“Guys, wait!” Savanna cried out, when someone grabs and gags her.

“Savanna!” Leone said as he, Nile, Sahara, and Nitestone step on a light blue sheet, when they somehow begin falling. “What!?” Leone, Nile and Sahara all said as they grab onto the sheet, which slows it down a little, when Marcus steps on it, stopping it and them from falling.

“Oops, I forgot to mention that there’s a hole in the group over here,” Marcus said, mocking them as Leone and Nile are holding onto the sheet, while Sahara holds onto them while Nitestone holds onto her.

“Marcus, why you…”

“You shouldn’t have let your guard down,” Marcus interrupted. “This is a competition to become a representative in the world championships, after all.”

“But why? You already have a bracelet? And where’s Savanna?” Nile asked, when two pegasi and two griffins suddenly show up, with one of the pegasi carrying a tied and gaged Savanna on his back. “Who are you guys?”

“These are my friends, Team Marcus, get it? My friends here are participating in Camelia’s selection tournament, and the king of Camelia asked us to do something to become their representatives,” Marcus answered. “He wanted us to both sabotage Savanna’s selection tournament and take President Askari’s daughter hostage. So … Louie, Tony, Carlo, Buddy!” Marcus said as he takes Savanna, while his four pals take Leone’s, Nile’s, Sahara’s, and Nitestone’s bracelets.

“Hey, look on the bright side, guys,” Louie said.

“We’ll send you a postcard from the world championships with a picture of the imprisoned and tortured Savanna.” Carlo added.

“I’ll get you!” Leone yelled.

“Bye-bye, have a nice trip. See you net fall,” Marcus said as he steps off of the sheet, which makes the four fall down into the deep, dark hole. “Let’s go! We have 2 hours to get to the pickup site,” Marcus said as they all leave. Unknown to them, however, when Leone, Nile, Sahara and Nitestone hit the bottom of the hole, it breaks, making them fall even further into Rock City’s sewer system, right into the ‘water.’

“That jerk!” Leone said after he and the others reach the surface and gag for air.

“He’s mine!”

==================================================================

Not long after, its night as Leone, Nile, Sahara and Nitestone search Rock City for Marcus and his goons. “Where did those rats run off to!?” A very worried Leone said.

“Hey! Leone!” A voice suddenly called out from behind. Turning around, they see a male zebra with curly black hair packed into an afro, wearing a long tribal red coat, a black band on his neck, long, gold, circular earrings, a gold headband that slightly pushes up his Afro, as well as a blue scarf that’s golden on its ends, is standing in a fighting stance. “I challenge you. Duel me right now!” He said, though they all sigh.

“I don’t have the bracelet anymore.”

“Neither do the rest of us,” Leone and Nile both said, which confuses the zebra.

“We don’t have time to wast babbling with you,” Leone said. “Marcus, you swine, where did you go?!?!”

“Marcus?” The zebra asked.

“We don’t have much time,” Nile said. “If I were Marcus, I probably hide somewhere outside of town. That’s also where a pickup team may be waiting for them. The problem is: which direction?”

“Uh, well, you know…” the zebra began to say, which gets the others attention. “If you're looking for Marcus, and the captured Savanna, then they’re right over there, in the mountains east of here,” he added as he points in that direction.

“What?”

==================================================================

Up in the mountains east of Rock City, Marcus, Louie, Tony, Carlo, and Buddy, along with the captive Savanna, are running. Finally, they reach a small rocky area, where a helicopter with four zebras, one the pilot, two soldiers, and one a general, are waiting. “Ah! Marcus, right on schedule,” the general said as Marcus and the others stop, panting. “I see that you all accomplished your mission.”

“Yeah. We sure did,” Tony said as he puts Savanna on the ground.

“Savanna, you and I are gonna spend a lot of time together,” the general said. “Now then, did you check to make sure you weren’t being followed?”

“Yep. No one knows we’re up here,” Marcus answered.

“Good,” the general said. “How much time is left before we begin phase 2?”

“Seven more hours to go, sir,” Louie answered.

“Excellent,” the general replied. “Now that we have made it this far, we have nothing to worry about.”

“But you’ve got plenty to worry about!” A voice from behind suddenly called out, which surprises the group. Turning around, Marcus and the others see Leone, Nile, Sahara and Nitestone standing on a boulder, the moon behind them about 100 meters away. “The jig is up, Marcus.”

“This is where it ends for you guys,” Leone and Nile both said.

“Leone!? Nile!? Sahara!? Nitestone!?” A terrified Marcus said.

“I thought you said no one was following you?” The clearly displeased general said.

“We did!” Marcus defended.

“Then how did you all find us!?” The general demanded.

“Simple: he told us where you were,” Leone said, referring to a male zebra with curly black hair packed into an afro, wearing a long tribal red coat, a black band on his neck, long, gold, circular earrings, a gold headband that slightly pushes up his Afro, as well as a blue scarf that’s golden on its ends, who has just walked up to Leone’s side.

“But how?” The general asked.

“I was born and raised in the great grasslands of the Zebralands, so my eyesight is much sharper than normal,” the zebra answered.

“What!?” The general asked. Suddenly, with a smirk, Sahara disappears in a flash of silver colors light, and reappears behind the pilot. She quickly uses her staff to knock the pilot unconscious and grabs Savanna. They disappear in a flash of silver light, leaving behind the restraints and the gag, and reappear near the others, which shocks Marcus and the general. “How’d you do that!?”

“The same way we’re gonna take back what you took from us!” Nile said.

“Get ready, ‘cause we’re fighting now!” Leone added.

“Good thing I always have a backup plan,” the general said under his breath. “Attack Formation Delta!” He ordered, which makes the two solders next to him run towards the center of their group.

“What are they up to?” Sahara asked.

“Allow me to find out,” the zebra said as he takes a good look at all of their enemies. “The general and Marcus both have a SOG Seal Pup Elite, Tiger Striped, 9-1/2" overall, 4-7/8" partially serrated AUS-8A stainless blade with tiger stripe powder coating. Louie, Tony, Carlo and Buddy all have a 9x19 mm Walther P99, Germare semi-automatic pistols. Those two soldiers just have toy water guns with black paint. Those two are just the bait. They’re planning a pincer attack!” The zebra said in a volume too low for the Camelians to hear.

“You can see all of that from here!?” A surprised Sahara asked the zebra.

“Yes, I can. And they don’t know it.”

“Interesting,” Leone said. “That can be useful. Nile, Sahara, let’s go!” Leone said as he jumps down and charges, followed by Nile and Sahara.

“Now!” The general orders, making the two soldiers jump out-of-the-way as Tony, Louie, Carlo and Buddy all fire. However, thanks to the zebras warning, Leone, Nile and Sahara all teleport behind the Camelians, surprising them.

King Lion Tearing Blast!

Mystic Zone!” Leone, Nile and Sahara all shouted as they do their signature attacks, which makes all of the Camelians scream as they see a bright light envelop them.

==================================================================

As the sun begins to rise, Leone, Nile, Sahara, Nitestone, Savanna and the zebra all look at Rock City as the sun rises behind them, a new day having arrived. “Thank you again for saving me from those goons,” Savanna said, in particular to Leone.

“It was nothing,” Leone said. “You can let go of my hoof now,” he added, which makes Savanna blush madly as she backs away slightly while Nile laughs a little.

“Speaking of those goons,” Sahara said as she looks behind them. “Do you think we went a little overboard with them?” She asked as the others look behind them. They all see a large, 50-foot deep crater that the helicopter is now in, now nothing but a smoldering wreck, and Marcus and the other Camelians are all lying on the ground with burned skin.

The zebra chuckles nervously at the question as they all begin walking down the mountain. “Hey, you. What’s your name?” Leone asked the zebra.

“Wha? My name? My name is Nge,” the zebra answered.

“Okay, Nge, hold this,” Leone said as he tosses a bracelet at Nge, who quickly grabs it.

“But — But why?” Nge asked.

“I’m giving it to you. Show me that you can protect it to the end,” Leone answered. Nge then nods in understanding as he puts on the bracelet. Suddenly, they all hear shouting coming form the bottom of the mountain. Looking down, they see all of the other contestants, ready to fight, having been alerted to their location by the fight. “We’re gonna take on the world!”

“Boom, baby!”

“Yeah!”

“Oh, uh, okay,” Nile, Sahara and Nge all said as they, along with the ever silent Nitestone, led by Leone, charge down the mountain.