• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 956 Views, 7 Comments

The World Duel Championships X - The Avenger



100+ countries, 8 destinations, 7 ponies, one epic duel!

  • ...
1
 7
 956

The Wintry Land of Russia

The Wintry Land of Russia

In the frozen lands of Russia, a train rails across the frostbitten land. In one of the trains passenger cars, Team Star Swirl are watching the scenery fly by, watching the reindeer and beautiful snow-covered trees, except for Firestorm, who’s reading a Daring Do book. “There’s some more! There’s reindeer over there too!” An excited Yu said.

“That makes 9,755,” Andromeda said.

“Forest. Reindeer. Forest. Reindeer. Forest. Reindeer.” Tempest said with a yawn. “The same scenery keeps going by.”

“Ah! When are going to reach the arena for the second round!?” Sagittario snapped as he lies on his bed, having had enough forest and reindeer.

“Don’t get your tail in a knot. We’ll arrive tomorrow afternoon,” Firestorm said.

“So, until then, it’s just forest and reindeer.” Bismarck said as he lies down on his bed. Pulling the tip of his hat down to cover his eyes, the rugged stallion faced away from the window, trying to get some shuteye, only for Sagittario to pop down suddenly.

“Dudes! I want to duel in round 2.” Sagittario said. “I want the Russian team, right now! Team … uh? What’s their name again?”

“Uh, La-lopso? Lashana? Lesonoma?” Tempest tried to say.

“It’s Lovushka,” Firestorm corrected.

“That’s right, Firestorm. I wonder what they’re like.” Tempest said as Sagittario jumps down.

“Who cares? I say, no matter who the opponent is, bring them on,” Sagittario arrogantly said.

“Don’t git overconfident,” Bismarck said as he gets up. “We need to remember that the world is full of strong and talented duelist we know nothin’ about.”

“Bismarck’s right.” Firestorm added. “Like the EU’s Julien for example.”

“Good point,” said Tempest. “Julien Konzern is defiantly nothing we’ve seen before.”

“A pegasus that can use unicorn level magic? That just isn’t right. I, Sagittario, will get revenge for our Saddle Arabian friends, Desert Blaze.”

“In order to do that, we first have to get through round two.” Tempest pointed out. “Let’s make sure we win!”

“Yeah!” Sagittario and Yu both said. “Actually, about that, there’s something I wan’t to talk to you about. Okay?” Yu asked.

“What is it?” Sagittario asked.

“In the next duel, I want one of you to switch with me.” Yu said, which surprises the others. “I want the chance to fight in the world championships too. Get it?”

“Uh? I think it would be best if you switch with him, okay?” Sagittario asked, pointing toward Tempest.

“Huh? Why me? Me and Bismarck haven't competed yet, remember?” Tempest pointed out.

“Yeah!” Bismarck said. “You should switch with him, Sagittario!”

“Not in a million years,” Sagittario said.

“You are the most stubborn unicorn any one of us have ever meet!” Tempest nearly shouted.

“Don’t gawk it, Tempy, Bis-Biz, and Sagittono. How about your spot, Firestorm? That is if you decide to compete.” Yu asked.

“Huh? Okay. I’ll think about it,” Firestorm replied.

“Really? Yes, sir!” A very happy Yu said.

“Firestorm?” Tempest said, knowing him better than that. Both Firestorm and Tempest know why Firestorm accepted Yu’s request.

==================================================================

No! Ahhh! Please stop it!” Firestorm screamed as something begins to take over, while his eyes begin to glow red. “I want to win. I will win!” Firestorm shouted as a dark presence begins to take over.

==================================================================

That was … That feeling was … I was out of control. I can’t let that happen again during a duel. I can’t! Firestorm thought.

“Huh? Where did Andromeda go?” Sagittario asked when he notices that Andi is gone.

“She left a while ago to get something to drink,” Radiance answered as she brushes her mane.

“I better go check on her,” Tempest said as he leaves the room.

“He sure did took off in a hurry,” Yu said.

“I did kinda notice that Tempest seems to be a little more worried about Andromeda lately,” Radiance said.

“You don’t think he developed a crush on her?” Bismarck asked.

“We’ll find out,” Firestorm said.

==================================================================

In the dinning car, Tempest walks in. “I’m looking for a purple unicorn mare with a galaxy for a cutie mark. Have you seen her?” He asked a bartender. The bartender, while cleaning a glass, points toward the far end of the car. Tempest looks over and sees Andromeda. “Good, she al--Wait! Who’s that!?” Tempest asked when he sees a blushing Andromeda dreamily staring at a unicorn stallion with a light yellow coat, purple eyes with light brown glasses, a sand brown mane, and wearing an orange and white space suit, who is looking at Andromeda’s computer.

“It’s so beautiful,” the stallion said. “Truly gorgeous.”

“Really?” Andromeda asked, while Tempest’s jaw begins to drop in shock.

“Yeah, gorges,” the unicorn said as he looks at Andromeda. “What a sweet laptop.”

“I’m glade you like it. It's a one of a kind, hoof-made model. The model won’t officially be available for another 14 and a half months.”

“I’m very sorry about bumping into you before,” the stallion said. “I was so clumsy.”

“Oh, no. No. I wasn’t watching where I was going at all,” Andromeda said as the bartender takes her now empty glass.

“Well, this Zapple Brick really has a beautiful design. A purple-colored titanium case with two duel MPUs. Oh! And it has SSD.”

“That’s exactly right, Aleksei! I’ve never meet anyone who understands me like this,” Andromeda said, which shocks Tempest.

This is bad! A 11 on a scale of 1-10! Tempest thought.

“Yeah, yeah.” Aleksei chuckled.

“Aleksei, you said you were a scientist, but what are you researching?” Andromeda asked.

“I’m doing research in the space sciences, at the FKA Space Training Center.” Aleksei answered.

“Awesome! That’s the foremost institution in all of Russia. How wonderful! Hey, Aleksei, can I ask one question? It’s concerning something about superstring theory.”

“Of course,” Aleksei said, while Bismarck, Radiance and Sagittario enter the dinning car. “At first, Stalbert Equinestein’s Theory of Relativity could accurately describe things in the macro-world, where gravity is high, but in the micro-world, of atoms and molecules, describing phenomena became difficult to document…”

“Looks like Andi has made a new friend who’s just as smart as her,” Bismarck said, though Tempest acts like he isn’t even there.

“And I think Tempest is jealous about it,” Radiance said when she notices that Tempest is glaring at Aleksei.

Tempest, having heard that, then gets extremely embarrassed that his entire head turns red from embarrassment while no one notices that Aleksei takes out a USB flash drive from a pocket in his suit. “I am not!” Tempest denied, getting Aleksei and Andromeda’s attentions, which makes Aleksei put the flash drive away.

“Guys? What are you doing here?” Andromeda asked.

“Tempest got worried, so we wen’t looking for you,” Bismarck answered, making Tempest hide his now red face.

“How sweat, Tempest,” Andromeda said, which makes Tempest back up a little, his face still red.

“So, who is this dude?” Sagittario asked.

“Oh! This is my friend Aleksei. He knows a lot about all sorts of things,” Andromeda said.

“You’re Andromeda’s travel companions on the train, correct?” Aleksei asked. “She told me that she’s the leader of your team in the World Duel Championships X and that you’re all members. Well, I’m Aleksei. It’s really nice to meet you. A real pleasure in deed.” Aleksei said as he holds out his hoof.

“Uh, yeah. Nice to meet you,” Tempest said as he shakes hoofs with Aleksei, not really trusting this unicorn, who is shaking hoofs with the other three.

“Nice to meet you too,” Aleksei said as he shakes hoofs with Sagittario, then Radiance and finally Bismarck.

“Yeah, yeah. Likewise.” Sagittario said.

“So, what were you talking about that got you so excited?” Tempest asked.

“Aleksei was teaching all about superstring theory.” Andromeda answered.

“Huh? Superstring?” Tempest asked.

“Yes,” Aleksei said. “In Equinestein’s general Theory of Relativity, superstring theory is…”

“Huh, Frankenstein?”

“You saying that Frankenstein is a relative of yours?” Sagittario and Tempest both asked, while they, along with Bismarck and Radiance look at Aleksei, completely clueless about what he’s talking about.

“Don't hurt your heads, and don’t interrupt.” Andromeda said as she puts up her Zapple Brick. “Aleksei, please continue.”

“Okay. The thing that attempts to rationally unify the two theories of macro- and micro-worlds is superstring theory.”

“Oh! It’s so clear to me now!” An excited Andromeda said, as the bartender approaches Tempest, Sagittario, Radiance and Bismarck.

“Your order?” The bartender said in his best Equestrian.

“We’ll take some borscht,” Sagittario said.

“And supersize it. We’re gonna be here awhile.” Tempest added.

==================================================================

Later that night, Tempest, Sagittario, Bismarck, Firestorm and Yu are all asleep in their rooms. The only ones still awake are Radiance and Andromeda, the former getting ready for bed, while the latter is looking at the aurora borealis in the night sky. “Everything Aleksei said was so interesting,” Andromeda said.

“You don’t say? To be honest, I didn’t quit understood some of what he said.”

“That’s okay. I just hope I see him tomorrow.”

“Oooh! Somepony's got a crush on Aleksei!” Radiance teased.

“No. No, I don't.” Andromeda defended, but it makes Radiance gasp.

“You do! You absolutely do!”

“Don't be ridiculous. Good night!” Andromeda said as she gets under her covers and turns out the lights, very embarrassed.

==================================================================

Meanwhile, elsewhere on the train, a male griffin, having gray hair, and wearing a dark brown suit that has a black rose in its pocket, is in his room, sniffing another black rose. He then hears knocking at the door to his room. “Oh, do come in,” the griffin said. The door opens, and Aleksei walks in. “Were you able to acquire Team Star Swirl’s data like I told you too?”

“No. Not yet.”

“You had an assignment and you failed. That is very disappointing. You do want to win, don’t you? Well, Aleksei?”

“Yes.”

“If you want to win and realize your dream, then you must get the Equestrian team’s data. It is a short cut to victory. As long as we win, the way we do it doesn't matter. A rose is still a rose, even if it’s black.”

“I understand. In the name of Russia’s victory, I will get the data.”

==================================================================

In Sagittario and Tempest’s room, Tempest is beginning to shiver. “It’s free-freezing!” A half-awake Tempest said. “I can’t s-s-s-sleep like this!” Tempest added as he gets up, and notices that his very warm blanket is gone. “Huh? What?! That’s my blanket!” Tempest angrily said as he looks above him, and sees Sagittario sleeping like a baby with his and Tempest’s blankets.

“Mmmm. More borscht.”

“I got to get a new blanket!” Tempest said as he takes his jacket and heads out. Suddenly, Tempest sneezes as he closes the door. “Great! I caught a cold! You really did this time, Sagittario!” Tempest said as he begins to curse at Andromeda’s cousin. Suddenly, he hears heavy footsteps behind him. Tempest quickly turns around, and sees a male griffin, is wearing a huge space suit, helmet and all, has blue feathers, and his green hair covers his eyes. “Yikes! An alien!”

“A-so-me-kwa-la-Andremidana,” the griffin said, though Tempest couldn't understand a single syllable.

“Sorry, but I don’t speak Martian,” Tempest nervously said as he backs away.

“Nowaguma isn’t a Martian,” a female griffin, who is relatively short compared to Tempest, has blue-green eyes, bright yellow feathers, and pink hair tied into two ponytails, and is wearing a pink space suite, said. “He asked if you’re friends of Andromeda. Ya know, the girl who won against Wang Hu Zhong’s team leader, Dashan.”

“Uh … Yeah. We’re on the same team.” Tempest said, having calmed down a little now.

“Oh! Really? Ha! Looks like she’s the only one who is a problem for Team Lovushka, then,” the bright yellow griffin said.

“Hey! What does that mean!?” Tempest angrily asked, not noticing that Aleksei is sneaking into the girls room.

“Oh nothing. I’m Lera, by the way. And this is Nowaguma.”

“Okay? I’m Tempest,” you-know-who said as Aleksei silently plugs in a USB flash drive into a USB port in Andromeda’s Zapple Brick, and begins to copy the data.

“No-means-usa-la-noca,” Nowaguma mumbled.

“What he say?” Tempest asked.

“Nowaguma asked ‘So, what is your team like?’” Lera answered.

“Well, I say the top three of our group is Andromeda, me, and Firestorm. Andi is very smart, which makes her something like a genius. Not surprising since she’s the daughter of Twilight Sparkle, one of the four princesses of Equestria. I was a former Wonderbolt, which is the special forces group of Equestria, but I soon resigned because of the restrictions of the organization. Firestorm, on the other hoof, is calm, collected and skilled, having been called the Wonderbolt Prodigy, though I have noticed that something might be wrong with him. Another member on our team is Bismarck, who’s the oldest. He’s honest, hardworking, and very loyal to his family and his roots, but he is a bit arrogant at times. His girlfriend is our teams medic, Radiance. She’s something like a poster child of elegance and beauty, but despite her beauty, she isn’t afraid of getting down and dirty and is surprisingly modest and has a good sense of humor. Our sub-member is Yu, and he’s a little colt who is something like a genius, thought he can be a brat at times.”

“What about your last member? Andromeda’s cousin, Sagittario?” Lera added, while Aleksei completes the copying and transfer of the files.

“If I had to describe him in words, there will only be 5; arrogant, obnoxious, stubborn, annoying, and a good friend. Sure, he gets on our nerves most of the time, but he can be helpful when the situation calls for it, which is rare.” Tempest finishes as Aleksei exits the room, and singles Lera and Nowaguma to follow.

“Okay. Nice talking to you. Bye!” Lera said as the two run after Aleksei.

“Hey! I wonder what thoe-” Before Tempest could finish, he sneezes, reminding him of his cold. “I got to find some medication.”

==================================================================

On another part of the train, Aleksei, Lera and Nowaguma are discussing what happened. “Oh! We could’ve just talked to those guys without doing this! This is so unfair!” Lera shouted.

“Lera, we did that for a reason,” Aleksei said as he holds up the USB. “We got their data, and you two got details about their personalities. That was the plan. We must make sure that we win. That is all the is important. Because that is all that matters to us.”

“So-we-”

“Can realize out dream,” Nowaguma and Lera both said as the enter the room of the black rose loving griffin.

“Did you get it?” The griffin asked Aleksei.

“We did,” Aleksei said as he gives the USB to the griffin, who quickly takes it and places it into his computer.

“See? You can do it if you try. With this, you’re one step closer to victory. And what was the other team like?”

“Even though we didn’t meet all of the members, Firestorm seems to be the one in the worst shape,” Aleksei said.

“Understandable,” the griffin said as he looks at the files. “He did lose in the first round. He should’t be any trouble for us.”

“Bismarck is the only one who could be trouble, since he’s an earth pony,” said Aleksei.

“That Tempest seems to be some trouble, since he can do a sonic rainboom, which was created by the only other pegasus capable of doing it; his mother.” The griffin said as he looks over Tempest’s data.

“He also seems to have a small crush on Andromeda,” Lera added. “And according to Tempest, Sagittario doesn't seem to be much on the ball.”

“I see,” the griffin said as he looks over Sagittario’s file. “In that case, as expected, the one we need to be most cautious of is Andromeda,” the griffin said as he looks over Andromeda’s files. “Team Star Swirl’s leader who has mastered magic. Being the daughter of a alicorn means that she must be incredibly strong with the mystic arts. That is certain. However, there’s no need to worry, because she will not be taking part in the duel.”

“Huh? What do you mean, Anton?” Aleksei asked.

“Just leave it to me.” Anton said with a devilish smile. “As long as we win, the methods we use do not matter. A rose without it’s petals is not really a rose.”

==================================================================

Later, at the back of the train, Aleksei is looking at the night sky, staring at the magnificent beauty of space. Suddenly, Lera and Nowaguma walk up to him. “Aleksei?” Lera asked, getting his attention. “Is this really okay? Stealing the enemy’s data?”

“Of course it’s not okay,” Aleksei said. “But we have a dream, and it’s a big one. A dream that we want to come true.” Aleksei added, as the three begin to fantasize being in a rocket, about to take off into the vast, unknown regions of the final frontier.

“Ore dream to go into space,” said Lera.

“In order to do it, we must win the World Duel Championships X by any means necessary! No matter how guilty we feel, the only way for us to get there is to beat the other teams.

“That’s-right.”

“Nowaguma says ‘That is right’.”

==================================================================

Not long after, the train arrives at a station. In Andromeda and Radiance’s room, Andromeda, who is having trouble sleeping, gets up. “Why can’t I sleep?” Andromeda asked, she then sniffs something, something good. “What is that?” Andromeda asked as the delicious aroma wakes up Radiance.

“It smells really good,” Radiance said.

==================================================================

Out on the main terminals, there is a trail of 10 hayburgers, leading to the other train. A door opens in the passenger car Team Star Swirl are in, and a figure comes out and begins to devour the burgers. Anton, hiding behind a ticket stand, smiles. “До свидания, дорогой Андромеда,” Anton said in Russian as the unicorn gets to the last hayburger. Anton, not having much time, hurries into his train as the they begin to leave. “Ha-ha! My plan worked perfectly. Andromeda can’t fight us if she’s on the wrong train.” Anton said as he heads inside, right as the two trains begin to leave.

==================================================================

“I’m so hungry,” Andromeda said as she turns on the light.

“Same here. Let’s go get something to eat from the dinning car,” Radiance said as she looks out the window, and screams.

“What?” Andromeda asked as she looks out the window, and sees … “Sagittario!?”

==================================================================

“Can you please stop sneezing, Tempy?” Yu asked the pegasus.

“Sorry, but Sagittario took my blanket and gave me this cold.” Tempest said, right below he blows his nose.

“Well, just don’t spread that cold to the rest of u-” Unfortunately, before Bismarck could finish, he sneezes. “Great, now ah got a cold.” The cowboy said as he takes some of the medication Tempest brought. Suddenly, a panicking Andromeda and Radiance bursts in. “Girls, what is it?” Bismarck asked.

“Just looks who’s on the other train!” Andromeda said as she opens the curtains of the boy's room, and the see Sagittario happily eating a hayburger on the other train.

“What? How did Sagittario get on the other train?” Firestorm asked.

“And where did he get that hayburger?” Tempest asked.

“Wait! I smelled something delicious earlier,” Andromeda suddenly said. “Someone must have set a trap for one of us and used that hayburger as bait.” Suddenly, the train Sagittario is on begins to turn left, away from them.

AH! Sagittario!” Team Star Swirl all cried. “There he goes,” said Radiance as they all watch, unable to do anything.

“What are we gonna do?” Andromeda asked.

“I don’t know,” said Firestorm.

“Man! Sagittono has been hayburger-naped!” Yu said.

==================================================================

The next day, Team Star Swirl’s train arrives at it’s designated station. “Andromeda, did you Celestia about what happened?” Tempest asked as what’s left of the team get off.

“Um, yes. She said they’ll try to find out where he went to from where we got separated.” Andromeda answered.

“I can’t believe this happened,” Bismarck said.

“I know!” A happy Yu said. “It looks like there’s no choice but for me to take his place in the duel.”

“You sure do seem happy about this, Yu,” Tempest said.

“Yeah, I am - Uh! - Even though I’m super worried, too,” Yu said as a male griffin, having gray hair, and wearing a dark brown suit that has a black rose in its pocket walk up to them. It’s Anton.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” Anton said as he stops in front of the group, his eyes closed since he’s smelling a black rose. “Team Star Swirl, I am Anton, the manager of the Russian representative team, Lovushka. I welcome you.”

“You're the manager?” Radiance asked.

“Yes,” Anton said. “I will be your guide in this unfamiliar land,” Anton said as he opens his eyes, and freaks out when he sees Andromeda standing right there.

“Is something wrong?” Andromeda asked.

“What!? No! Nothing,” Anton lied. Why is Andromeda here? And Sagittario Armor is nowhere to be seen, which means he was the unicorn I saw last night. I’ll just have to stay calm and change my plan slightly. It’ll be fine.

“Okay?” A confused Andromeda said.

“Where are my manners?” Anton suddenly asked. “Let me show you to the stadium right away. Come along,” Anton said as he walks away, followed by the others.

“That guy is … strange,” Firestorm noted.

I wanted to see Aleksei one more time. Andromeda sadly thought as they leave.

==================================================================

Later, at the arena, which also acts as a space cadet training center, there is a row of radio dishes, some of them 50 feet wide, not far away. And there is also a rocket and launch pad. “This is the stadium,” Anton said.

“Wow! So this is the arena for round two.” Tempest said, before he sneezes.

“We really need to get rid of that cold,” Yu said.

“There’s still some time before the matches begin. How about you all get something warm to eat?” Anton asked.

“Something warm would do me good,” Bismarck said.

“But before that, please allow me to introduce to you the members of Russia’s Team Lovushka,” Anton said as two griffins and a unicorn walking up to them. One of the griffins, a female, is relatively short compared to others, has blue-green eyes, bright yellow feathers, and pink hair tied into two ponytails, and is wearing a pink space suite. The other griffin, a male, is wearing a huge space suit, helmet and all, has blue feathers, and his green hair covers his eyes. The unicorn has a dark blue coat, a bright red mane, gray eyes that, green glasses, and is wearing an orange space suit that covers his cutie mark.

“What?” Both Andromeda and Tempest asked, recognizing Aleksei, Lera and Nowaguma.

“So we meet again,” Aleksei said.

“Aleksei?”

Not good! A terrified Tempest thought. If Andi finds out that I told them what our team is like, she’ll kill me!

“Why didn’t you tell us earlier?” Andromeda asked.

“Uh-well-you-see…”

“Sorry, but it was just a little Siberian surprise,” Aleksei lied.

“But, I don’t…” Andromeda tried to say.

==================================================================

Meanwhile, several hundred miles south of the Russian border, Sagittario is staring at a tropical resort overlooking the ocean, where the tempter is a warm 35° C. “Where the heck am I?!?!?!