• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 4,270 Views, 143 Comments

Heart of Pony, Wings of Dragon - Huntermjiolnir



A half breed comes to Ponyville

  • ...
5
 143
 4,270

Snobs of Canterlot

Chapter 3: Canterlot
(AN: Meeting royalty, joy. SHIPS AHOY!)

Draco jerked awake his draconic reflexes readying him in an instant. His pupils narrowed to slits as he looked around the still dark room, mouth glowing brilliant orange as he prepared to breath fire at what ever startled him. Slowly his breathing slowed and he regained his senses as he realized that he had merely rolled off the bed sometime during the night.

He trotted over to the window and noticed the sun hadn't even risen yet, but judging by his sense of time told him the sun would be coming soon. He looked to the horizon and sure enough there was a light red glow slowly creeping upwards.

He walked downstairs as silently as he could, nodding at Bigmac as he passed the large stallion eating breakfast.

“Yer up early.” Bigmac said.

“Couldn't sleep, woke up on the floor.” Draco replied. “AJ not up yet?”

“Eeeeenope, she don't get up fer another fifteen minutes.” Bigmac replied, pushing a large apple towards Draco.

Draco smiled, gratefully accepting the succulent fruit, sighing as he took a bite, the juices running down his chin.

“I'll never get over how good the apples you grow here are.” Draco said.

Draco ate two more apples finishing the second one as he spotted AJ sleepily walk out of her room.

“Mornin' Bigmac, Draco.” The pony said. Then she took a double-take as she noticed the second name she said.

“Draco? What are yah doin' up so early.” AJ asked, clearly concerned for her friend.

“Couldn't sleep, fell off the bed it woke me up.” Draco said.

“Ah, well I hope yer ready to do tha chores.” AJ replies with a smirk, practically inhaling three of the apples.

Draco smiles, winking at the orange farm pony. “Sure am AJ, what are we doing today?”

“Well tha barn needs a good repaintin' yall come in mighty handy with them wings o' yers.” AJ says.

“Repainting eh? I can fly, which makes the high spots easier to reach, and hay my fire breath can dry the paint super quick!” Draco replies enthusiastically.

“Shoot I reckon well be done by tha time we got tah go tah Canterlot.” AJ says smiling.

Draco raises one lime green eyebrow. “Willing to wager on it?” He adds a smile to his face.

AJ's eyes narrow dangerously. “What kinda wager?”

“If either of us win the loser has to do what the winner says, one thing. It can't be too embarrassing.” Draco says.

AJ spits on her hoof, holding it out to shake. “Yer on!”

Draco repeats AJ's gesture shaking their hooves together.

“Good, the conditions are, I do the barn alone. You buck apples. Keep a watch on the sky. When noon comes around come check on me. If I'm not done painting you win. If I've finished painting, I win.” Draco says.

“What're yah waitin' fer? Paint's in tha barn, get to it mister or yer gonna owe me one favor!” AJ says walking out of the house towards the apple trees.

Draco follows, blasting off towards the barn in a gust of wind, flapping his wings quickly. He soars into the barn, grabbing all the cans of paint as he goes. He glides to a hover several feet away from the barn. Using his tail he pries the lids open, and examines the colors.

“Red, figures.” He looks again at the barn, his draconic vision taking in every detail in mere moments. Draco smiles, a plan coming to fruition in his mind. He scratches figures on the ground, working out the complex math in his head.

“40 feet by 50 by 30. Volume is..... AHA! If I fly at this speed.... and rotate counter-clockwise, adjust the angle slightly. YES!” Draco smiles as his math shows him the quickest route to painting all of the barn.

“AJ, I hope you like owing me a favor, cause I'll be done painting this barn in fifteen minutes. Drying shouldn't take much more than 10 if I use a small amount of my fire breath.”

Draco hovers above the paint cans, angling his body at a 30 degree angle towards the barn. Then he flies counter-clockwise around the cans of paint. Faster and faster he flies until he is an emerald tornado circling the paint.

Then like a wave, the paint erupts from the cans, tainting the emerald tornado a brilliant ruby.

Slowly the tornado moves towards the barn, then it circles around the structure.

Inside the tornado, Draco watches in satisfaction as the paint in the tornado gets attracted to the barn like a magnet, turning the dull pink of the barn ruby in mere moments.

After fifteen minutes the tornado stops, Draco dripping with paint. He smiles at the freshly painted barn. He lands, rearing back his head drawing as much air into his lungs as he can. His mouth glows orange, slowly changing to white.

His head lurches forwards, he exhales with a viscous roar, a gigantic plume of blinding white fire engulfing the entire barn. After about a minute he stops breathing heavily, the paint on the barn steaming, drying within seconds.

He stops his internal clock telling him he has finished several minutes ahead of schedule.

He flies off towards the orchard, spotting AJ and hovering before her, still dripping with paint.

“Hey AJ.” Draco says.

AJ nods, raising a hoof to buck a tree behind her. “Yall ain't done yet, yall barely started.”

“I beg to differ AJ, I AM done.” Draco says smugly.

AJ's jaw drops and her hoof misses the tree causing her to loose her balance and flop to the ground.

“Now ah KNOW that there's a LIE!” AJ says.

Draco simply points towards the barn visible between too trees, and AJ's face pales as she sees the ruby paint adorning the barn.

“Yall did it... Ah don't believe it!” AJ says.

“And I believe you owe me one favor.” Draco says.

“What do ah gotta do?” AJ asks glumly getting back to her hooves.

“I'll let you know when I think of something, right now I need a bath. Can't very well visit the princess like this now can I?” Draco says gesturing to his paint covered body.

“Nope, yall go tah Rarity's she can get yah all nice an' clean.” AJ says.

“Sounds good, I'll be back when I'm clean.” Draco says.

“Now hold on just a darn minute! Rarity don't wake up fer a couple a hours, yall can help out with apple buckin'.” AJ says indignantly.

“All right.” Draco lands and trots over to the next row of trees swiftly smacking one with a hoof, causing the apples to fall off the tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judging by his internal clock, which was nearly never wrong. It was fifteen past ten, so he flew over to AJ and told he her was off to Rarity's.

He soared through the sky, frowning as he saw small flakes of dried paint fall off him. Slowly he turned and spotted the frilly structure of Rarity's boutique.

He landed before the shop, raising a hoof he knocked. He frowned, he knew the shop was open, but yet Rarity was not coming to the door. This wasn't like her, he knew from AJ the fashion pony was rather punctual. Deep in his being his draconic instincts screamed at him that something was wrong.

That scream only got louder as his acute hearing picked up what sounded like a soft thump and a muffled scream. His eyes narrowed to slits, his wings flared outwards and his mouth brimmed with blazing flame.

His tail wrapped around the handle of the door and he YANKED, the door tore from its hinges landing on the ground beside im as he galloped into the darkened shop.

He skidded to a stop as he took in the situation in a mere moment. Rarity was tied up and gagged, behind her levitating a dagger to her throat was a stallion who's violet eyes gleamed with sick malice and lust.

“Back off or she dies!” The stallion said, then he licked Rarity's cheek.

Draco's eye twitched, he stepped forwards. “Let her go!”

The stallion licked Rarity's cheek again, and smiled evilly. “And if I don't?”

Draco growled, his draconic wings flaring outwards, brilliant orange flame spilling like liquid from the edges of his mouth. “I'll burn you to cinders.”

“Not with your friend in danger you won't.” The stallion replied, levitating the dagger closer to Rarity's throat.

Draco's pupils narrowed to paper thin, and he pursed his lips into an O shape, aiming carefully. He roared a stream of liquid flame lancing outwards, slamming into the stallion.

The stallion screamed as he caught fire, dropping the knife. Draco leaped at him, wrapping his tail around the criminal. Spinning quickly he flung the stallion out of the door and leaped after him with another viscous roar. He landed with a thud next to the downed stallion not caring about the crowd of ponies watching him, fear in their eyes.

Draco raised a hoof and slammed it into the stallions side, the watching crowd winced as they heard a crack of breaking ribs and the stallions cry of pain.

Draco raised his hoof again. Pure rage written on his face.

A voice from the crowd yelled out. “STOP!”

Draco placed a hoof on the stallion's neck and looked at for the source, it was Twilight horror evident on her face as she saw Draco standing over the stallion.

Draco turned back towards the stallion and spoke, his voice loud enough for the crowd to hear.

“Leave Ponyville and don't come back scum. If you EVER try to rape one of my friends again I WILL destroy you! Now go, you have till I count to 5 to get out of my sight or else.”

The stallion stood up, looking towards the edge of town, fear written on his face. “O... or what?”

Draco growled I reply his mouth still leaking liquid flame. “Or I hunt you down and burn you until not even ashes remain!”

The stallion gulped.

“5.....” Draco said, his flared wings twitching slightly.

The stallion's eyes widened and he dashed towards the edge of town frantically, tripping slightly as he ran, running as if Nightmare moon herself was after him.

“4!” Draco yelled after the stallion swiftly shrinking dot.

He stopped counting as the stallion vanished on the horizon.

“Did you have to threaten him so badly?” Twilight asked after she saw that Draco had calmed down.

Draco answered calmly, but his voice was laden with menace. “He attempted to rape Rarity, I will not allow my friends to come to harm.”

Twilight nodded in understanding.

“Rarity is still tied up in her boutique I suggest you go comfort her, I shall find somewhere else to bathe.” Draco said as he soared into the sky.

He looked back briefly to see the crowd of ponies dispersing and Twilight galloping into the boutique. He smiled Twilight would comfort his friend, and he needed to get clean, so he flew towards a lake he knew was nearby.

He hovered several feet above the surface of the lake and closed his wings enjoying the feel of splashing into the icy water.

Vigorously he scrubbed himself with sand, ensuring that all the paint was off his body before leaving the water and shaking himself dry. He leaned his head near his body and sniffed, grimacing at the smell. Looking around he noticed a small patch of wild mint growing and leaped into into it rolling around in the plant section crushing the fragile things.

He stood up once again, sniffing himself and smiling as he breathed in the scent of mint. He flared his wings and took off in a gust of wind. He oriented himself to fly towards the orchard, his head looking down as he searched for AJ.

He dived as he spotted the farm pony bucking a tree and landed before her, speaking. “Ready to go?”

AJ looked at him and nodded approvingly. “Yall clean up mighty nice.”

Draco smirked. “Hop on, we need to fly fast if we're going to be on time.”

AJ nodded then placed a hoof near her mouth yelling to her big brother. “BIG MAC! We're off to Canterlot! Pick up tha slack fer us!”

The big red stallion nodded.

Aj then secured her hat to her head jumping on Draco's back, carefully wrapping her hooves around him to avoid entangling his wings. With a blast of wind, Draco soared into the sky's and heard AJ speak. “Yall smell like mint.”

Draco grunted in affirmation. “Found a patch near the lake were I bathed rolled in it to help myself not stink.”

“We'ren't yah goin' tah Rarity's?” AJ Asked.

“I thought she needed time to herself after the... events of today.” Draco said.

AJ could hear the venom in his voice as he said events. “What happened.”

Draco snorted to the side, a jet of flame exiting his nostrils. “Somepony tried to rape her.”

AJ gasped then her eyes narrowed. “What'd yah do tah him?”

“Beat him up, and burned him. Then threatened to kill him if he showed his face around town again.” Draco replied.

“Yah shouldn't threaten ponies like that folks might think yer dangerous.” AJ replies with a slight scowl.

“I'm not about to let a friend get hurt, AJ. I am VERY protective when it comes to those I consider friends or loved ones.” Draco replies.

“Ahm ah a loved one?” AJ asks in a squeaking whisper.

Draco jolted suddenly, nearly dislodging the farm pony of her grip.

“What was that fer?” AJ asked.

Thankfully, AJ couldn't see the vivid blush on his face as he answered. “Turbulence.”

AJ spotted the regal castle and pointed towards it. “There's Canterlot.”

“Hold on, I'm going all out!” Draco replied with a grin, his vivid blush gone.

AJ barely had time to comply as Draco blasted forwards at a speed that would make Rainbow Dash jealous.

Within the span of a few moments Draco was hovering before the gigantic doors of the royal palace, he landed before two guards, their normally stoic expressions showing shock. Draco knelt and AJ hopped off his back.

Draco walked over to the guards who flared their wings blocking the pair's way.

“HALT!” They spoke in unison.

“My name is Draco, this is Applejack. We are scheduled to see the Princess today at noon.” Draco said, speaking to the guards.

One of the guards opened the door and flew in as his partner stood before the opening guarding the way.

Moments later, the guard returned and he looked rather shame faced. The shame faced guard spoke. “You may enter, apologies for stopping you earlier.”

Draco replied smiling as he and AJ walked past the guard. “It's fine we all make mistake, besides you were only doing your job.”

They continued walking, Draco absorbing the lavish decor of the royal chambers. AJ pointed to a glass window depicting a representation of the six friends vanquishing a mismatched dragonoid.

“That's us defeatin' Discord.” AJ said to the dragon-colt.

“Very accurate.” Draco replied.

After a few more moments the pair stopped before the throne and Draco noticed it was empty.

“Where is she? I don't think the Princess would be late to her own appointment.

Suddenly the princess teleported onto the throne shining in a glorious radiance not unlike the sun.

Draco and AJ wisely bowed before the sun goddess. “Welcome AJ, Draco.” The Princess spoke, her voice regal yet soft. “Rise, you do not need to bow before me.”

The pair rose to their feet. The princess rose from her throne and cantered towards Draco, walking around him, inspecting every inch of him.

“Hmmm. Your mother, she was Veridan was she not?” Celestia asked.

Draco stiffened, and his face got a hardened unreadable look that would put a Canterlot guard to shame.

Celestia smiled at his reaction. “Yes I believe it WAS her, a pity she is gone. She was such a good friend. As for your father, I believe he was Dovan Flame?”

Draco nodded. “Yes, Majesty.”

Celestia waved a golden shod hoof in the air. “Please I don't stand for any of the formalities, please, just call me Celestia.”

“Yes, maj- Celestia.” Draco replied as AJ nodded, looking around nervously.

“Why did you ask me here Celestia?” Draco asked after a moment of uncomfortable silence.

“Because, I have heard of Cross-breeds before, but almost none have survived to the age of maturity. Most have died when their parents decided against keeping the newborn and abandoning it.” Celestia looked down sadly at this, but then brightened. “I am glad to see that you have survived, of course you most likely have your mother's tenacity and your father's determination.”

“You say this as if you knew my mother.... did you?” Draco asked. “Yeah, ahm wonderin' that too.” AJ said along side her friend.

“It is true I DID know Veridan, she was a good friend to me.” Celestia replied.

“What was she like?” Draco asked curiosity and wonder evident in her voice.

“She was kind, gentle but not above defending those she called friends. And if somepony happened to mess with a friend or later her lover, she would do anything it took to protect them. She was not the largest of dragons but I saw in her a fire that burned and dared any to attempt to harm those she loved.” Celestia said.

Draco chuckled. “Well, I know I inherited THAT!”

Celestia smiled lightly as she noticed Draco glance briefly at the farm pony. She smiled more as she noticed the the way he looked at the orange one at the emotion in his eyes.

“Applejack, would you mind if I spoke to Draco alone?” Celestia asked of the farm pony.

“Of course yer Highness.” AJ replied then cantered off towards the door stopping short of exiting.

Celestia turned to the confused dragon-colt and spoke, her face a smile. “You like her don't you?”

Draco turned VERY red and spluttered, stammering in his speech. “I- I d- Don't k- Know what you're t- talking about.” His eyes shifted back and forth frantically.

“Draco, I have been alive for more than a thousand years, I have vast experience when it comes to discerning the emotions of my subjects. I can tell from watching you that you have feeling for her. Its evident in your eyes and how you look at her.” Celestia replied calmly, a hint of motherly support in her voice.

Draco looked down his expression sad, his ear folded back on his head. “What if she doesn't feel the same way?”

Celestia lifted his emerald head and forced his red eyes to stare into hers. “You don't know until you ask, the worst she can do is say no. You father never gave up on Veridan, I believe you should not give up on her.” Celestia floated a small bag towards Draco and placed it before him, saying one last thing to him as she cantered back to her throne. “Think of that as a gift from me, I believe that the Cafe Canterlot in the market square would be a good place for a first date.”

Draco blinked at her confusedly, before smiling as he realized the Princess had just given him a way to ask, and a good lunch suggestion.

He picked up the bag and held onto it cantering over to AJ. She turned to him a questioning look on her face.

“Say AJ, what say we eat lunch here? The Princess suggested a nice place... we could make it a date.” Draco gulped, it was out there, it all was on her now.

AJ's face went red as she blushed. “Are yall asking me tah go out with yah?”

Draco gulped and nodded partiality dreading the outcome of her answer.

AJ smiled. “Of course ah'll go with yah. Ah think it'd be neat tah date yah.”

Draco smiled and turned to a guard to procure directions.

After fifteen minutes of wandering the city, they found themselves outside Cafe Canterlot. The pair cantered up to the waiter. “A table for two please.”

Draco's eyes narrowed as the waiter muttered something about 'filthy monster' but sat the pair anyways.

The pair ordered and eat their fill, both enjoying the meal.

“So AJ, I was wondering something.” Draco began nervously.

“Yeah, sugarcube?” AJ asked.

Draco gulped, then mustered all his courage, spurting out his sentence in a jumble. “Wouldyoubemymarefriend?!”

AJ understood him perfectly, being friends with Pinkie who sometimes spoke a lot faster. But she decided to toy with him and act confused. “Say what now?”

Draco gulped again and said again, this time slower. “Would you be my marefriend?”

AJ smiled widely a pink blush growing on her face. “Of course.”

“I understand if you.... wait you WILL?!” Draco asked.

AJ merely nodded, then grabbed the colt around his neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

Draco's eye went wide then he closed them as the blissful feelings of mutual love flowed between the pair.

They abruptly pulled away as the sound of a throat clearing came from beside them.

They turned to look as a nearby restaurant patron stood along side what looked like the manager of the restaurant.

The patron sneered at the pair and Draco instantly felt a dislike for the snobbish looking stallion.

“I'm sorry ma'am but this customer has been complaining about your... ahem.... date.” The manager said to the farm pony.

AJ looked furious. “And just what In tha hay is wrong with mah date?”

The customer spoke up sneering his voice laden with contempt. “You mean other then the fact that IT is a filthy mongrel?”

Draco snarled and AJ's face grew livid. “Ah'll handle this Draco.”

The customer sneered more. “IT has a name, how cute.”

“Well, ah guess iffn we're bein' treated this way we can take our business elsewhere.” AJ replied, staring straight at the manager.

The manager gulped, obviously wanting to keep the rich pony as a customer but not wanting to loose a sale either.

The customer sneered. “Kick them out or I shall tell all my friends to never eat here again.”

The manager paled then turned looked at AJ, his love of money (more accurately the love of the rich ponies PROVIDING the money) forcing his hoof.

“I'm sorry ma'am I'm going to have to ask the both of you to leave.” The manager said.

AJ turned to Draco and gave him a sly wink. “Well, ah guess we'll take our bits elsewhere.”

The manager cleared his throat as they stood. “There is the matter of your bill.”

Having seen AJ's wink Draco spoke. “I'm sorry, but I am clearly unsatisfied with the way this place has treated me and my marefriend. Therefore,” Draco held up the bag of bits an jingled it in clear sight of the manager. “I don't think I'll be paying. Come on AJ I think we can get better service in Ponyville anyways.”

“Ah agree.” The farm pony leaped onto the dragon-colt's back and he took of blasting forcing the manager and the customer to step aside from the gust of wind.

Unbeknownst to the pair a pegasus stallion was watching the pair covertly. Silently the stallion exited the restaurant, looking about hey darted into and alley, hiding his gray coat in the shadows. He pulled a ruby gem from his cyan mane ad stared into it with coruscating eyes of magenta. The stallion spoke at the gem, his voice gruff. “Sir, I've found him. He's in Ponyville. He has a marefriend, possible leverage gained. Orders?”

The ruby glowed and from within it a voice spoke, its tone sinister and laden with evil malice. “Follow him, keep him under observation. But do NOT under ay circumstances allow yourself to be caught spying. I will NOT tolerate failure.

Pegasus spy nodded, and spoke back to the ruby. “As you command.... Nazhærn” The gray pegasus then replaced the ruby in his mane and took off after the Dragon-colt.

(AN: Who Is Nazhærn, and what does he want with Draco? Find out later during the story. For now I shall only say that Draco will be receiving a very strange dream during the next chapter.)