• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 5,250 Views, 75 Comments

Flight, Failure, Faith and Family - 8686



All she ever wanted was a family. Perhaps it was too much to ask.

  • ...
2
 75
 5,250

Chapter 3: The Pegasus Beach Party

Chapter 3: The Pegasus Beach Party

Scanning the sky nervously, Scootaloo repeatedly paced the wooden boardwalk of the train station, her lonely hoofbeats echoing hollow.

She'd made sure to get here good and early so she had no chance of missing Rainbow Dash. She didn't want Rainbow Dash to arrive first, not find her immediately, and then grow impatient and just leave her behind. Well, that probably wouldn't have happened, maybe, but no sense in taking the risk, right?

But Rainbow Dash hadn't arrived early. In fact it was ten-past-two already and she hadn't arrived at all. Heavy, grey clouds still hung low over Ponyville and a fine rain had begun to fall, the poor weather an approximation of Scootaloo's current level of optimism.

Maybe Rainbow Dash had forgotten about her. Maybe she'd just decided to fly to the beach instead and expected her to catch up. Like a test, to see if she was smart enough to follow her. Could that be it? The next train to Stirrup Springs arrived in five minutes. If Rainbow Dash hadn't appeared by then, she was going to have a hard decision to make.

No. Rainbow Dash was coming. She had said she would hadn't she? She was just running late. Come on Scootaloo, this is Rainbow Dash! She's practically your big sist– uh, well, anyway, she's not gonna let you down.

The whistle of the approaching locomotive brought Scootaloo's train of thought to a sudden halt. Peering down the tracks she could see the Express approaching a little early. Rainbow Dash was still nowhere to be seen. This was it. Decision time. Was she going to get on the train and hope she'd guessed right? Or stay here and find...something else to do. It was time to make her mind up.

And then it wasn't. Because all of a sudden, appearing once again from nowhere, was a cyan pegasus with a muti-coloured mane and a self-sure grin. The one and only. Scootaloo broke into a wide smile and felt nothing but relief.

Of course she had come. Rainbow Dash wouldn't have let her down! How could she have doubted her?

"Hey, Squirt! Sorry I'm late. Had kind of a crazy morning. It's all cool now though. I'll tell you all about it when we get to the beach."

"Oh, uh, no problem Rainbow Dash!" Some of her words were lost in the noise as the train pulled into the station with a hiss, and the carriage doors were opened. Rainbow Dash made no move toward the train. "So...are we going to get on or...?"

"Huh? Why would we be taking the train?"

"Oh...well...if you want to fly, that's cool too, obviously. I just thought the beach might be too far away if...if youweregoingtocarryme. Or maybe you were going to fly and I can take the train and meet you there. We can do that too. Or..." Scootaloo realised she was babbling. Well, actually, she realised she had been babbling after Dash shoved a hoof into her mouth.

"What are you talking about? Of course we're flying."

Of course they were flying! This was Rainbow Dash. She flew everywhere! Silly Scootaloo. Thinking she'd need to take the train.

Dash seemed to slowly come to some realisation. "Wait. You don't know where the...? Urgh!" She facehoofed. Then, as her hoof came away, a strange, devilishly playful grin appeared on her face. "Hold on, Squirt. This is gonna be somethin' else."

With no warning or fanfare, Rainbow Dash grabbed Scootaloo tightly and shot into the air, straight upwards. Memories of yesterday morning's impromptu flight nearly caused Scootaloo to lose her lunch. Vertically they climbed, rapidly approaching the overcast cloudbase. They penetrated it, still rising, and all was grey for a moment, before fading to a brilliant white. Then they burst forth into a warm, clear blue sky punctuated by the blazing sun and as Rainbow Dash brought them to a hover, Scootaloo saw one of the most amazing sights she'd ever seen.

The Pegasus Beach Party.

The Pegasus Beach Party was a Cloudsdale institution. Originally conceived a few decades prior as a half-day holiday for Equestria's weather workers, it was an autumn reward for a summer well-managed and a break before the tough tasks of winter to come. Since its inception however, it had ballooned into so much more. Now every profession based in Cloudsdale offered its employees at least a half-day on Beach Party day, and pegasi from all walks of life flocked to it from every corner of the country. The party was held above a different venue each year, and the only downside for the hosting town was a day of inclement weather that they were scheduled for anyway.

This year was Ponyville's turn to play host and as its resident weather chief, the task of organising it had fallen to Rainbow Dash. And she had really pulled out all the stops.

The entire upper surface of the huge cloudbase, in an enormous doughnut shape, was sculpted into an approximation of a seaside scene; the massive expanse resembling a circular sandy coastline with surprising fidelity. But that wasn't the most impressive sight. No, that would be the ocean...

At the centre of the cloud mass, encircled by the faux coast, there was a giant lake of sparkling water. Not clouds sculpted to resemble a static ocean scene like most years, but real, actual water! That would have been impressive on its own, but then Dash had gone even better and somehow managed to include a method of generating real waves, radiating circularly from the centre of the lake to all points on the shore surrounding.

It wasn't permanent – clouds couldn't hold such vast amounts of water forever, and even now it would be very gradually soaking away and diffusing into the entire cloudbase, falling over Ponyville below as a light drizzle. The ocean would in theory last until after sunset, and it all had to be gone by tomorrow anyway. And if it started seeping away too fast, there were a couple of big rain clouds hidden nearby to top it up.

Scootaloo tried to take it all in. Most of the beach was already packed with hundreds of ponies. Here, families played together. Over there a beach volleyball tournament was underway. In one section a disc-jockey spun heavy dance music. Near the shore, foals made cloud-castles. A beach-barbecue serving up grilled vegetable-burgers was in full flow. Vendors patrolled the beach selling ice-cream and other refreshing treats. In the ocean some swam and some surfed the waves. And all the while the sound of joy and happiness from so many assaulted her ears, making her giddier than she had been in a long time, as her hero brought her gently to the beach below.

"Wow. Just, wow! This is amazing!"

"Pretty cool, huh kid?"

"I'll say! So what are we gonna do first?"

"Why don't you go find us a good sunny spot near the water. I'll be over in a sec. Fluttershy's around here somewhere and there's just something I gotta show her."

"Oh. Sure, okay!" Scootaloo snapped a quick salute and stalked off in search of a good sunbathing spot. She wasn't going to let Rainbow Dash down.

She picked her way through the throngs of ponies, moving towards the ocean at the centre of the beach. The vast majority of the attendees were pegasi, and she caught sight of a handful of griffons too, but here and there she also saw one or two unicorns and earth ponies, each using various methods of enjoying the sun above the clouds. One earth pony seemed to be using a contraption similar to Tank's flying harness. A unicorn over there was lying on a rug which she was using her own magic to levitate, turning it into a real magic carpet.

A modest Twilight Sparkle had once made casting a spell to allow ponies to walk on clouds sound like a trivial affair. But while the skill was within the reach of most unicorns with enough study and practice, in practical terms very few outside the magically gifted had the free time or energy to devote to learning a spell that was, after all, of little real use in their day-to-day lives. It seemed there were workarounds that were almost as good.

Scootaloo found a perfect spot on a quieter part of the beach, not too far from the water, and lay down on her back – it even felt like sand! How was that possible!? – to wait for Rainbow Dash.

This was awesome! Spending the afternoon at a beach-party with Rainbow Dash. She closed her eyes and daydreamed about all the cool things that they were going to do together. They would play beach volleyball, go surfing, swimming, get some chow from the barbecue, then maybe an ice cream before sitting together and watching the sunset. This was going to be the best day ever.

---

Thirty minutes later, and it was still going to be the best day ever. Any moment now.

Where is she then, Scootaloo?

Huh?

Rainbow Dash. Your hero? The one who you were planning all these fun things with? Whose time you were trying to monopolise? Where is she?

Hey, you're that weird feeling from yesterday. I don't want you. Go away.

Don't be sad. It's okay to be alone.

I'm not alone! She'll be here any second now.

Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash is not coming back.

Yes she is! We're gonna spend all afternoon together, you'll see. She's...she's gonna look after me like she's my big sister!

Oh, Scootaloo...why would Rainbow Dash, the coolest pony in Equestria, pretend to be sisters with you?

Because...she said–

It's time you stopped pretending, Scootaloo. She's not really your sister. She's not really your friend. You're just her fan and you need to stop bothering her.

We are friends! She invited me to this party.

Look around. She invited everyone. You're not special – she asked you out of courtesy. Since you selfishly insisted on coming, she's asked you to go find a quiet spot on your own and stay out of the way.

But...we're supposed to have fun together...

No, Scootaloo. She doesn't want to have to babysit you all afternoon when she should be having fun with her real friends. She doesn't care about you.

No...She does care about me...

She hasn't spent even five minutes with you since yesterday. She left you behind at Applejack's, and she was late picking you up because she was hoping you wouldn't show. She's been trying to avoid you.

That's...it's not...just go away...

She doesn't want you around, Scootaloo. Take the hint.

Just then, an older pale blue pegasus with a nearly-white mane ambled past. He glanced at her, did a double-take and trotted over.

"Good afternoon there. You must be Scootaloo."

"Uh...yeah. Um. Who are you?"

"My name is Pale Frost. I work at the Cloudsdale Flight School. Rainbow Dash came to speak to me about you. She asked if we would teach you." He smiled kindly.

"Oh. She did?"

"Mmhmm. My staff and I are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. If all goes well, we can get you on the curriculum next week."

"At...Cloudsdale?"

"Yes." The pegasus, Pale Frost, raised an eyebrow quizzically, casting a slightly confused expression upon his face. "But...we'll talk more about it tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your day Scootaloo. It was a pleasure meeting you." He walked on, never quite abandoning that look of vague puzzlement.

Scootaloo just sat in silence. She processed and filtered, until eventually her mind reached but one conclusion.

Rainbow Dash was sending her away.

She doesn't want you around, Scootaloo.

Take the hint.

---

It had taken Rainbow Dash longer than expected to find Fluttershy – she had a real knack for not being noticed. Her friend had managed to find the quietest part of the beach: a small section that Rainbow had sculpted into a miniature and almost secluded cove not far from a low cliff where young foals played in a series of mock sea-caves.

Once she had found her though, it was worth it. Rainbow Dash watched with warm satisfaction as Fluttershy, lying with her legs tucked under, found her name on the borrowed Chronicle article placed in front of her. A smile appeared, her pupils widened and her eyes glistened. She looked up at Rainbow Dash.

"I'm a...valuable pony?"

Dash brought a hoof to her face in frustration. "Ugh. No, Fluttershy, you don't get it." Fluttershy's smile fell a little and she looked away. Of course she wasn't. It had been too good to be true.

Rainbow Dash brought her hoof down and tapped the line on the newspaper. She looked into Fluttershy's eyes.

"You're the most valuable pony." Dash smiled. Then Fluttershy positively beamed. And for a moment, all was right with the world.

"Ah, Rainbow Dash." Pale Frost's voice approached from somewhere behind. "And Fluttershy too. It's wonderful to see you again."

Fluttershy, caught off guard, managed an automatic "Oh, Principal Frost?" She cast a wary glance at Rainbow Dash.

"I'm not your principal anymore, Fluttershy. You may call me Pale if you wish," he said warmly.

"Hey, Viper. What's up?" Rainbow Dash smirked, without looking round.

Fluttershy couldn't contain a small gasp. She looked nervously from Dash, to Frost. Then Frost just chuckled.

"Indeed," he smiled wryly before continuing, "It seems I ran into your friend, Scootaloo, over yonder. She seemed a little...out-of-sorts?"

"Oh nuts! I didn't tell her yet. I'd better go. Oh, here by the way," Dash snatched up the article from in front of where Fluttershy lay and, for a moment, Fluttershy's smile drooped. "Thanks for the loan. I don't need it anymore."

Pale Frost looked at the old newspaper article. Then looked back to Rainbow Dash, and finally to Fluttershy. "Neither do I, Rainbow Dash." He took the article and set it once more in front of the yellow pegasus. "Perhaps you would like to keep it?" Fluttershy's smile returned in full force, but he didn't wait for a reply. "Enjoy your day, you two." And with that he trotted off into the crowd.

"Long story," was all Rainbow said to Fluttershy after he had left. She looked back at her friend. "You sure you don't wanna come hang out with me and Scoots?"

But Fluttershy was quite obviously content where she was. She looked perfectly comfortable basking calmly in the pleasant sunlight, kept company by a couple of ducks and a toucan that had followed her up from her cottage. She gave the slightest shake of her head, but her smile never left. "Maybe later?"

"Sure thing. See ya later!" Dash called, galloping off in Scootaloo's direction.

---

It had been nearly an hour.

Sat down and slumped, Scootaloo had been going over her last conversation with Rainbow Dash, trying to silence that other feeling in her head. It was a fight she was losing.

Had Rainbow Dash really said she was going to come over? Had she even said she was going to spend any time at all with her at the party? On any occasion? It was difficult to remember. Every time Rainbow Dash spoke to her she got so excited. Could it be that all this time she'd just been hearing what she wanted to hear? Had Rainbow really hinted that she should just stay out of the way all afternoon?

She supposed it was possible.

The voice in her head readied another crippling barb, eager to claim new territory in the battle for her confidence.

Then she went blind.

"Guess who?"

"Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo spun instantly, Dash's hooves falling away from her eyes. She very very nearly hugged her but, with some vestige of self control heretofore unknown, she managed to restrain herself.

Rainbow Dash was a cool pony. She had to play it cool too. Hugs were definitely not cool.

"The one and only, kid." Rainbow's grin faded a little, and for a second she looked uncertain, like she had been about to say something else.

"Is...there something wrong?" She almost added with me to the end of that question, but chickened out.

Rainbow found her confident grin again. "Nah. Nothin' that can't wait till later, Squirt. So, whatcha wanna–"

"Hey Rainbow Crash!"

The rude interruption was punctuated by the sudden approach of a group of three boisterous, loud-mouthed pegasi. Scootaloo didn't recognise them from Ponyville, but she knew bullies when she saw them. And they had just insulted her hero. Nay, her sister! Well, maybe...but her friend, at least. Right?

Regardless, they had insulted Rainbow Dash, and Scootaloo wasn't going to stand for it.

She stood.

Placing herself squarely between Rainbow Dash and the three huge boys, she locked eyes with the one she believed had spoken – a grey stallion with blue eyes – and glared at him.

"Hey! That's not how you talk to her!"

As one, and as though noticing her for the first time, the three bullies looked down at her with varying degrees of shock. Pressing her advantage – and her luck – Scootaloo continued, "You better say you're sorry, or you're gonna have to deal with me!"

For a long while, no-one said anything. The three stallions just stood looking at Scootaloo, while she glared back at them. Then the largest of the group, an orange stallion with three basketballs adorning his flank, looked up and over her to Rainbow Dash behind.

"Whoa, Dash. Who's the firecracker?"

Scootaloo hated being ignored.

"I'm Scootaloo, and I'm Rainbow Dash's...I'm..." The confidence that had returned with Rainbow Dash wavered slightly, but encouraged her to press on. To go through with it. To just say it. Rainbow would be proud of her if she said it. She would back her up. Say it. "Rainbow Dash is my big sister!"

Awkward silence.

Then finally the grey stallion spoke, again over Scootaloo's head. "You have a sister?"

Dash stepped up close beside Scootaloo, and gave her a playful noogie with a forehoof. Losing none of her usual composure, she said, "Nah, we're not related. This here's just my little buddy, right Squirt?"

Scootaloo's heart turned to lead and sank to the pit of her stomach. Why would Rainbow Dash want to pretend to be sisters with you? She wouldn't. Of course she wouldn't. It had all been a silly fantasy hadn't it? Why had she opened her mouth? But she didn't have time for introspection, she was trapped in the here and now. She had to try and salvage something quickly...

"Oh, uh, yeah. Sorry Rainbow Dash...I meant to say...uh..." Desperately she floundered for another word. One that maybe sounded a bit like 'sister' but actually meant 'you know, not really sisters, of course not, but maybe, hopefully still friends after all?'

She came up empty, and the incomplete sentence hung in the air for a long moment. Scootaloo desperately wanted to stick her head in the ground – which she could have done, given that the ground was currently clouds – and never come out. Then Rainbow Dash swept in to save the day once again.

"Don't worry about it, kid. Everypony makes mistakes. Well, almost everypony! It's cool though," Rainbow Dash indicated the three pegasi standing before them. "I know these guys. They're okay."

The grey stallion spoke up again. "Yeah, sorry kid. We're just giving Rainbow a hard time y'know? We actually just came over to say congratulations on throwing the best Beach Party in years..."

"Congratulations by the way." The third, and smallest member of the trio finally piped up.

"Yeah. We didn't mean nothin' by it."

"That's cool, guys. No worries, right Scoots?"

But Scootaloo was fighting her mind again.

A mistake. There you have it, in her own words. You made a mistake. Now will you leave her alone?

From somewhere very distant, Rainbow Dash told the trio of pegasi to enjoy the party. Casual waves might have been exchanged, and the three lads ambled off, receding into the background.

Scootaloo gazed intently at nothing directly beneath her, missing the brief concerned glance given to her by Rainbow. She fought off the sudden urge to cry and instead waited mutely for the awkward conversation in her immediate future.

"Ha! Nice one kid. That took some guts. Knew you had it in you. C'mon, whaddya say to some hay fries?"

What? That was it? Rainbow Dash wasn't mad? She wasn't angry that Scootaloo had just tried to fake being her sister? Wasn't going to insist that she never speak to her again?

Apparently not, because she was already walking off in the direction of the barbecue. A quick impatient glance backward told her that she was expecting Scootaloo to follow her, and she did eagerly.

Rainbow Dash was just the best!

---

Rainbow Dash couldn't figure it out. Viper had been right, Scootaloo was acting all out of sorts. She was super happy and cheery one minute, then suddenly moribund and introverted the next. On top of that she was now only making jilted, awkward conversation, and as they walked on together it became more and more forced – which only seemed to worsen the young filly's mood.

It didn't make sense. Scootaloo was at the Pegasus Beach Party with Rainbow Dash – why wasn't she totally thrilled?

Arriving in the vicinity of the barbecue, she tossed her little buddy a few bits and sent her in the direction of the grill with instructions to return with food. Oddly enough, telling her to go do something seemed to perk her up. Dash watched as Scootaloo joined the queue of hungry ponies, and mused on the best way to try and get her out of whatever funk she was in.

Her concentration didn't last, shattered as it was by a familiar voice from behind.

"Well, if it isn't Rainbow Dash."

Spitfire...

Dash whirled on the spot to find not one but three off-duty Wonderbolts, in the form of Spitfire, Soarin and Fleet Foot, standing casually before her.

"Nice job, Dash," Spitfire continued, "You've really put together something neat here."

"Oh, this? Just something I threw together at the last minute. No big deal. Hope you're enjoying yourselves though."

"Oh, we just arrived. Training ran long thanks to a...mishap." She gave a wry glance in Soarin's direction, but his attention was elsewhere and it went largely to waste. She rolled her eyes and looked back at Rainbow.

"Well, good to see you Rainbow Dash. We'll catch–"

"SPITFIRE!"

Soarin's panicked yell caused the Wonderbolt leader to spin with the speed of a lightning strike, ears perked and eyes immediately scanning the world for danger.

What she saw instead was Soarin, mouth agape, pointing a foreleg excitedly at the ongoing volleyball tournament nearby.

"Beach volleyball!"

Fleet Foot facehoofed, and Dash was sure she caught a low groan of "Every time..."

Spitfire made a good show of pretending to be aggravated, but she couldn't keep the corners of her mouth from curling up into a small grin. The itch of competition.

"Wanna show 'em what Team Wonderbolt can do, Soarin?"

Soarin nodded in rapid fervour, happily playing the benign fool.

"Well, why don't we show 'em what we got?"

"Uh...Spitfire?" Fleet Foot broke in, using a hoof to deliberately count one, two, three Wonderbolts. "We're one short."

"I'll go get Rapid Fire!" cried Soarin with exaggerated excitement. But before he could launch into the air Spitfire stopped him.

"You'll do no such thing, Soarin! Rapid Fire is here with his family, and we all agreed not to bother them. Right?"

Soarin slouched, pantomime enthusiasm fading to real disappointment. He muttered a quiet "Yeah..." and gave a low nod.

Spitfire turned back to Rainbow Dash, as though remembering she was there, and looked her up and down.

"So, Rookie? What do you say? Wanna help us prove that the Wonderbolts are the best volleyballers in the sky?"

An invitation from Spitfire to play volleyball as part of a Wonderbolt team? Oh...my...gosh! Rainbow Dash couldn't say no to that!

So she said yes.

When she looked back later, she regretted it. But even the most strong willed of ponies get caught up in the moment sometimes, and as Soarin's eyes lit up with renewed hope and she was willingly shepherded over to the courts by three of her lifetime heroes, that's exactly what happened to Rainbow Dash.

---

Scootaloo paid the requisite number of bits to the burly pegasus behind the oversized grill, and gingerly collected the brown paper bag offered to her in exchange. Treating it like precious cargo she walked carefully to where she'd left Rainbow Dash.

She was so lucky. Rainbow Dash had said she could order whatever she liked, but when she found out that she'd ordered the same thing as Rainbow herself wanted – because how could that not be the best thing on the menu? – she was sure to be impressed! Then they'd eat together and finally get this party started on the right hoof. As friends. Not sisters maybe, but friends.

Rainbow Dash wasn't where she left her. Scootaloo looked around for a few minutes, thinking maybe she'd lost her in the thin crowd. But she hadn't. Rainbow Dash was gone.

Again.

She stood still, feeling numb, hardly blinking. Then out of the corner of her eye she caught a glimpse of that unmistakable mane, somewhere a little distance away, beyond where a large crowd was beginning to form.

Being small she was just about able to pick her way to the front where she saw her friend – if...that's what she was – on one of the volleyball courts smiling and laughing in the midst of a match. She was on a team with three other pegasi all wearing green bibs and competitive grins, facing off against opponents garbed in red. Even watching for a few moments, and without really knowing the rules, it was clear that the green team was dominating. Scootaloo considered trying to call out to Rainbow Dash, but even in the moments since she'd arrived the throng had grown hugely and their cheers were deafening. There was no way anyone was going to hear her yelling. Likewise there was no way Rainbow Dash would notice her in the crowd.

Dejected, Scootaloo turned and picked her way back out of the mass of ponies. Maybe she should wait until Rainbow Dash had finished...

She doesn't want to have to babysit you all afternoon when she should be having fun with her real friends.

The feeling returned once more. But instead of surging forward with newfound potency, it crept insidiously, armed now with irrefutable fact:

It recalled that Rainbow had left her behind at Applejack's the previous day.

It recounted how she had left her again as soon as they'd gotten here.

It stated that Rainbow thought it was a 'mistake' to call her a sister.

It reminded her that she wanted to send her away to Cloudsdale.

It noted that Dash had again abandoned her as soon as her back was turned.

Then it asked a simple question: why? Why would Rainbow Dash go to such lengths to avoid her? And as the young filly looked back at the crowd, beyond which her former hero was having so much fun without her, she quietly accepted the explanation that the voice had tried to force on her earlier.

She's not really my friend. I'm just her fan...

A tear escaped down Scootaloo's cheek.

...and I need to stop bothering her.

She hung her head, but didn't even notice the bag of food slip from her mouth as she trudged away from the scene. She just wanted to be alone, like Rainbow Dash wanted, and instinctively began to wander towards the least populated area of the shore.