• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 5,250 Views, 75 Comments

Flight, Failure, Faith and Family - 8686



All she ever wanted was a family. Perhaps it was too much to ask.

  • ...
2
 75
 5,250

Chapter 2: Only Bad Teachers

Chapter 2: Only Bad Teachers

Waiting.

It was, to put it mildly, not something Rainbow Dash did well. Yet here she was, being made to wait in the same corridor, of the same flight school she had vowed she would never grace with her presence again. Outside the same office where, years ago, her life had taken a dramatic downturn.

Everything was the same. Even the nameplate on the office door.

Pale Frost,
Principal,
Cloudsdale Curriculum Flight School and Summer Flight Camp

A sense of dread had been seeping into Rainbow's gut since she arrived, and it was only getting more potent the longer she waited. She wanted this over with, but though she had woken early especially to make the trip, by the time she arrived she was already in a queue behind several unruly schoolfoals with the unfortunate destiny of a meeting with the Viper.

That was what Dash and the other students had always used to call him. Because when he told you off, he was venomous. And if you were bitten by the Viper, you did what you had to to avoid being bitten again.

Well, most students did. Dash idly wondered if the nickname still held any meaning today. How long had he been here for anyway? Forever? Maybe he'd gone soft by now.

Apparently not. Just then the tail end of an angry lecture became audible through the office wall where even now the last poor filly was getting a good dose of poison from Viper's fangs. His tirade even sounded the same, and that particular familiarity did little to help Rainbow's feelings of unease about this whole expedition. But she was going to go through with this. This was for Scootaloo, not her. She wasn't going to let Squirt down without trying. Even if she had to face Viper herself one last time.

The office door opened, ejected a young filly and closed again. The filly's expression instantly changed from cowed to anger, and she looked ready to buck a hole in the wall. Then she caught sight of the receptionist at the desk opposite, looking at her sternly over half-moon glasses and instead she did her best to saunter off with an arrogant "Harumph."

Dash just shook her head. That one clearly had an attitude problem. Maybe Viper had been right to give her a grilling.

A couple of long minutes passed before the quiet monotony was broken by a buzzing sound from a small grey box atop the receptionist's desk. Rainbow Dash had never seen one before, but it appeared to allow the receptionist out here to speak to the Principal in there as though they were next to each other. Maybe it was magic. Maybe it was just a really good version of two cans on a string, she didn't really care. All that she cared about was that this meant there was no turning back now. For better or worse, she was going into the Viper's nest.

The receptionist halted the annoying buzzer.

"Yes, Principal Frost?"

An oddly weary voice answered.

"Is that all of my appointments for the morning, Maple?"

"There is one more, Mr. Frost. A young mare arrived from Ponyville about an hour ago and requested a meeting with you as soon as possible."

Dash couldn't keep a small grin off her face. That was a very polite interpretation of their earlier conversation. She heard Viper sigh wearily before replying.

"Name?"

"Ms. Rainbow Dash."

There was a short pause.

"Sorry, Maple, I think I missed that. What was the name?"

The receptionist, Maple, repeated Rainbow Dash's name into the voice-box loudly and clearly. There was a longer pause.

"I think..." yet another pause, "I think you'd better send her in."

Maple looked up at Rainbow Dash with professional neutrality. "You can go in now."

Dash stood and planted herself before the door. It was no different to any other door. It was in no way ornate, ostentatious or grand. But it was imposing. That nameplate held a gravitas that was completely intangible, yet at the same time, very very real.

She forced herself to knock.

When the students had knocked earlier, the response had always been a short, sharp "Come!" Now though, a softer voice responded.

"Please, come in."

Tentatively, Rainbow Dash entered the office. There, behind the same desk, in front of the same window, sat the same principal who had almost ruined her life.

He looked exactly the same too. Same pale blue coat and matching eyes, same well-groomed off-white mane. He had a few more wrinkles than she remembered, there were a couple of bags under his eyes and his mane was a little thinner and lighter, but other than that he was exactly the same. Viper.

Except the disappointed scowl she had been expecting was strangely absent, and instead for the first time Rainbow Dash could remember, he was smiling.

"Rainbow Dash," he began warmly, gesturing her towards a couple of large plush floor cushions in the informal corner of his office. "I had given up all hope of seeing you walk through that door again."

Rainbow took a seat, a sense of unease rising quickly in her mind along with the hairs on the back of her neck. Viper was being nice to her? He had never been nice to her. It didn't make sense. This was a trick of some sort.

Pale Frost took a seat opposite his former pupil. "I'm afraid that if you're here to complete your semester, you're several years too late." He risked a small chuckle, but it was instantly obvious that the attempt at humour was misjudged. Rainbow was looking at him with an expression that openly conveyed mistrust. There were still ill feelings there then. The faint hope that had sparked up – that after all this time he might have the chance to reconcile – died heavily. Trying hard to keep the disappointment out of his voice, he turned to business. If there was to be no pleasant small talk, the least he could do for her was avoid unpleasant talk.

"What brings you here to see me, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash sat still, glaring at Viper as though he were a real snake. Calm right now, but one which might strike at any moment and without warning. She hadn't realised that seeing him would make her angry. Why wasn't he angry too? He had been angry with that filly earlier. He was always angry. They should be shouting at each other like they'd done years ago in this very room. Why wasn't he behaving like she expected!

No, Rainbow Dash, this is not about you, remember?

Pale Frost's heart sank as he saw the mistrust in Rainbow Dash's eyes degenerate into a rage and bitterness that left little room for interpretation. They were going to have the conversation. There was going to be anger and shouting. There was no avoiding it. The past was a great wave looming over them. It wasn't a question of if it would break, only when.

Keeping her breathing steady, Rainbow Dash fished a photograph of Scootaloo from beneath her wing and shoved it towards Viper. In short, clipped tones, she said, "I have a friend. She can't fly. I want you to teach her."

"I see," Pale Frost responded in a soft, but professional tone. "And what is her name?"

"Scootaloo."

Pale Frost examined the photograph. A small smiling filly stared back at him. There appeared to be nothing amiss. Perhaps if he couldn't make amends with Rainbow Dash herself, helping her young friend might at least be partial atonement.

"Bring her along tomorrow. We'll put her through a few exercises and see where she's at." He looked up from the photo towards Rainbow. "We'll do whatever we can to help," he said sincerely.

For a brief moment, hope rose in him again. Hope that it would end there. There would be no argument. There would be no shouting. Hope that he would, after today, at least be able to imagine Rainbow Dash as a professional acquaintance and deal with her as such. It was not the ideal outcome, but one he decided he could live with. He was about to add "Will that be all?"

The wave broke.

"Right, so now you want to help?"

Rainbow Dash heard herself speak. Heard her her own voice betray her, vitriolic with anger. It was as though she was stuck inside her own head, watching it happen. Pent up rage that she didn't know had existed surged forward, commandeering her faculties even while her rational, logical self screamed for calm.

Shut up Rainbow Dash! You've got what you came for! He said yes! The job's done! Just go! Get up and go!

But righteous indignation was a powerful force, and it would be heard no matter what.

"It's funny, actually," Dash's voice continued, rising now at the mercy of the seething anger behind her eyes, "you didn't seem too keen on helping when you were kicking me out of here!"

Viper's expression hardened. That was more like it. He did a better job at keeping his voice neutral though. "Rainbow Dash, I did not kick you out. You left."

"I left because you told me to! You showed me the door and said 'There it is, thanks for wasting our time, get out, don't come back!'" Dash was screaming now, all hope of self control gone, lost in a vivid fury.

"Rainbow Dash, if you will–"

"You never thought I was worth anything!"

"Rainbow, please calm yourself..."

"You almost ruined my life!"

"RAINBOW DASH, BE QUIET!" Viper boomed, standing and looming over her where she sat. Rainbow Dash's treacherous anger slunk away into the shadows, leaving her calm, rational self to face the music.

I told you. You should have just left. Now you've blown it. You've let Scootaloo down. Well done, hero. But at least you feel better, right? No? Thought not.

Pale Frost blinked a couple of times. He took a step back from the suddenly catatonic pegasus before him and breathed deeply, chastising himself all the while.

He had promised himself it would never happen again, but it had. He had lost control of his temper with Rainbow Dash.

Whenever he berated a student it was a calculated ear-bashing. Nothing more than was required to get them to pay attention and consider their actions. It may have sounded like anger, but he was always in control. Not so with Rainbow Dash. There was something about her that many years ago had caused him to lose it, and which he had regretted ever since. And now history was repeating itself. How long was he going to regret this for?

With great effort, he forced the anger from his mind. Eventually, he was able to continue. He would get to say his piece after all. For good or ill.

"Rainbow Dash. I can still recall every detail of that meeting. There are many things about it that I regret. But I did not kick you out. I did not ask you to leave. I never wanted that, despite what you may think."

There was a loud snort. "Yeah, right. You said–"

"My exact words, Rainbow, were: 'If you can't follow the rules and participate with your fellow students, then there is no place for you at this school.'" Frost dipped his head and looked at the floor. "I spoke in anger, but my intention was to get you to modify your behaviour. To have you start joining in classes again, rather than sleeping through them. I know you believed our lessons were beneath you, but I thought you could be a role model for your classmates. However, it seems you mistook my words for an ultimatum of sorts, because a moment later, you stormed out of my office." Now he looked at the door. In his mind, he heard it slam shut after the departing filly with an air of finality he had not expected. "I suppose I should have gone after you, but my pride wouldn't allow it. I was convinced you would come to your senses and return to pick up where you'd left off." Finally, he looked back at Rainbow Dash. "You didn't, and I have regretted that day ever since. My only consolation has been that you seem to have done alright for yourself."

"Yeah, no thanks to you," Dash grumbled. She had already blown it. She didn't have much else to lose.

"Oh," Pale Frost said. He should have left it there. He'd said his bit. There was no need to follow this through. Let Dash have her righteous anger. If she wanted it, she deserved it. But he felt a sting of annoyance rise again. Somehow, even if she didn't know it, she had a way of pushing his buttons. In spite of himself, he got up and walked over towards his desk, speaking as he went.

"I understand that not long after we parted company, you applied to join the Junior Speedsters flight camp?"

"Yeah. So?"

"Whom did you get to write your reference?"

"What?"

Pale Frost stopped behind his desk but didn't sit. Adopting his lecturing tone, he began,

"Rainbow Dash, the Junior Speedsters is a very exclusive flight club. They are only after the best young candidates who display exceptional skill." Rainbow Dash was nodding smugly, like she knew it all already. "They don't accept anybody unless they have a near-perfect academic flight qualification – which you didn't get from me – or a damn good letter of recommendation. So, who did you get to write yours?"

Rainbow Dash was puzzled. How could Viper get this so wrong? She hadn't needed those things. She was Rainbow Dash. She had just sent in her application, turned up, and they'd welcomed her in. Because they knew how awesome she was. That was all there was to it. She explained all of this to Viper in her own unique, tactful style.

"Ah. I see," was all he said. Using his teeth, Viper opened a dusty filing cabinet next to his desk. He scanned through to the section labelled 'R' and fished out a folder of paperwork. From it he extracted four pieces of paper, clipped together tidily. He pushed them across the desk in Rainbow's general direction.

Rainbow Dash had to approach the desk to study the papers proffered to her. The first sheet was a standard printed form letter, emblazoned with the Junior Speedsters' logo, and addressed simply to "The Principal."

Dear Sir or Madam;

Re: Rainbow Dash.

We write to you with reference to the above-named individual. As you are probably aware, he/she has submitted an application to join the Junior Speedsters flight camp, which at this point is under consideration. Junior Speedsters is committed to training the very best future fliers in the world. The training we offer is rigorous and intensive, and should only be attempted by the most capable of fliers.

Please provide a frank character reference for the above candidate, including an assessment of their ability to complete the training we offer. Your recommendation will remain confidential unless you indicate that you do not wish it to be. Failure to submit a reference by the beginning of the course will result in the candidate being disqualified from attending.

Thank you for your attention.

Beneath the copied signature was a drawn line, below which was a paragraph of hoof-writing in blue ink, concluded with a separate signature of its own.

Frosty – heard a few troubling rumours about this one, including that she left your place under a cloud, so to speak. Is this somepony we should even be considering? We'll catch up soon. -Dex.

Rainbow Dash's stomach churned uncomfortably. 'Troubling rumours?' What the Hay? And what was this about being disqualified if Viper didn't write back right away? This was a load of rotten turnips! Angrily she flipped to the second page, which was only another printed letter from Junior Speedsters, saying something about clearing out past records and returning the original reference to the sender to do with as they wished. The third letter was the one she wanted. She didn't really know what to expect as she read the black scrawled hoofwriting in Viper's unmistakable calligraphy.

Dex,

We've both been at this a while, so you know I don't say this lightly:

Rainbow Dash is the most naturally gifted flier I have ever seen.

She has a raw, instinctive grasp of almost every aspect of aeronautics that I am astonished by. If that talent could be refined through study and practice, her potential is staggering. Should you be considering her? Absolutely.

She has made no secret of her desire to one day join the Wonderbolts aerial display team. Nothing unusual in that, but Rainbow is the first student I've had in a few years now who's good enough for them.

Unfortunately, thanks largely to a miscalculation on my part, that dream is now in jeopardy. Rainbow Dash has turned her back on my institution and, much as I want to, she has not completed enough of the course for me to award her even a partial flight qualification. She's going to need one under her saddle if she ever does apply to the Wonderbolts' training academy. Or any number of other jobs for that matter.

I know your scheme offers a similar accreditation to ours which most, including the Wonderbolts, recognise. So I urge you, in the strongest possible terms – accept her. She doesn't deserve to have her future ruined by my error of judgement. I only ask one favour.

Do not make the same mistake I did. She needs the carrot, Dex, not the stick. Give her an incentive to push herself and she will work harder than any candidate you've ever had. But try and force her to anything and she will push back twice as hard. She won't accept any authority she doesn't respect, and you need to earn that respect if you want to get the best from her. Don't try and force it – that was my error.

As for the rumours you've heard, I imagine they are mostly to do with her attitude. Forget them. She is supremely confident in her own abilities, and this makes her appear arrogant, perhaps condescending even. But spend some time with her and – trust me on this – you'll find that behind that bravado there is a good pony with a heart of solid gold. Next time we get together I'll tell you the story of the illicit race she organised. Then I'll tell you why she did it. It's heart-warming.

If you can handle her correctly, if you can earn her trust and respect, then she's the best candidate you could ever hope to have.

She'll break records for you, Dex. I owe you a beer if I'm wrong.

– Frosty.

Dash re-read the letter several times, her mouth hanging open. She didn't know what to think. It just didn't compute somehow.

Viper wrote this? About me? He's supposed to hate me!

She flipped to the fourth and last letter in the sheaf.

Frosty,

Wow. Never had a Rec. from you like that before. (A simple Yes would have done!) She's in. In fact, based on your letter, I've already got a flight partner in mind for her.

We'll catch up next month. I'll let you know about the beer.

– Dex.

"Do you still believe I never thought you were worth anything?"

Dash remained silent, her gaze fixed on the bundle of papers. Looking at them but no longer reading. No longer even thinking, really. Just...numb.

"I was right you know. You still hold at least two of their records. And you've had many more impressive accomplishments since then."

Rainbow Dash looked up from the letter into Viper's eyes. "How would you know? Have you been spying on me?" That was supposed to sound angry, yet the words came out hollow and neutral. Anger was a distant memory now.

"In my defence, it has been difficult to avoid hearing about you." Viper fished more pieces of paper from the folder on the desk. They were newspaper cuttings – two from the local paper, the Cloudsdale Chronicle and one from the national broadsheet, the Equestria Daily. The Daily article, along with one of the Chronicle's referenced her past victory at the Best Young Flyers Competition, both noting that she was the only pegasus in living memory to successfully breach the sound barrier, and that she had saved four lives while doing so. The other Chronicle article was headlined "Heroic Tornado Team Overcomes Illness to Set New Record."

Dash blinked on reading that. "Huh? We didn't break the record. We weren't even close!"

"Actually you did. Just not the record you're thinking of. Spitfire came to me afterwards and we looked into it. You and your team set a new record for 'the Successful Transfer of Ground Water to Cloudsdale with the Fewest Number of Pegasi'. She insisted the paper recognise it. It's all there." Viper tapped the article as Rainbow Dash scanned it. At the end was a list of all of the pegasi who had been involved in the tornado and there, right at the top:

Flight Leader: Rainbow Dash

And directly underneath,

Most Valuable Pony: Fluttershy

The rest of the names were alphabetical. Dash didn't read them all. Her mind had got hung up.

"You...know...Spitfire?"

Pale Frost gave a small chuckle. "Rainbow Dash, I've been at this job a very long time. Most of the current Wonderbolt team were students here at one time or another, including Spitfire, and yes, we remained friends after she graduated. That wasn't the first or last time she'd asked me about you, you know, but I'll say no more. Except that I told her only good things."

Rainbow Dash sat heavily on her haunches. Her mind raced from the reference, to the newspaper cuttings, to Viper's words. Long moments passed until, at length, she looked up into Viper's kind eyes.

"Why?"

Viper's expression softened, along with his voice. "Because there are no bad students Rainbow Dash. Only bad teachers. I let you down, and it was my responsibility to ensure you did not suffer for it."

That struck close to home, and Rainbow was suddenly brought back to the whole reason she was here in the first place.

"My friend. Scootaloo. I've been trying to teach her to fly. She can't fly and I...I don't know why. I...don't know what to do. I've let her down. Only bad teachers, right? Please..." she locked eyes with Viper, "help her?"

Pale Frost held Rainbow Dash's gaze, smiled, and responded gently, "We'll do whatever we can to help."

Rainbow Dash felt an immense weight lifted off her shoulders. She let out a breath and suddenly found that her breathing was much deeper and easier than it had been in what seemed like hours. And...what was this? She was smiling? At Viper? No way.... She was even about to say...wait...here it came, unbidden,

"Thank you."

"You're quite welcome."

Rainbow stood, turned and began walking slowly towards the door. Thank You didn't seem enough somehow. As she reached the door she half turned back towards the desk.

"You know, the Pegasus Beach Party is this afternoon...I don't know if you were going to–"

"I wasn't planning to. With you in charge, I didn't think it would be...appropriate."

Rainbow met Viper's eyes again. "You should...y'know, if you can. I think you'd enjoy it."

"Perhaps...perhaps I will then. Thank you."

"Cool, see you there then, Viper!" She opened the door and stepped back into the corridor, letting it swing shut behind her with a decidedly less-ominous-than-expected click.

Oh, hayseed! She'd forgotten! Quickly she pushed the door back open, causing Pale Frost to look up from his desk in mild surprise.

"Hey...uh...can I borrow that article? The tornado one? There's kind of somepony I want to show it to."

"Of course." He held it up, and Rainbow flitted over to grab it with her teeth. Just as she did so, he spoke again, "And Rainbow Dash? The students still call me 'Viper' when they think I can't hear them, but most of my friends call me 'Pale', or 'Frosty'. Just something to think about." He nonchalantly waved her away, but Dash noticed he couldn't keep a grin off his face. She left the office again, and headed for Ponyville.

Scoots was going to be so happy!