• Published 24th Sep 2013
  • 2,580 Views, 78 Comments

Tales of Apple Scratch: The Council of Harmony - Mariacheat-Brony



The greatest cultural authority in the land of Equestria, a group of young minds chosen directly by the two High-Princesses to represent them. Six young women who holds a great influence on their nation's future. Read how were they chosen?

  • ...
7
 78
 2,580

Octavia's Symphony for the Princess by Kapuchu (extended ending)

“Octavia Philharmonica, I already said there will be no discussion about this! I will not allow it!”

“Mother, I am eighteen years old! I am not a child anymore nor should you treat me as one. I am one of the top, upcoming cellists for a reason. If you would just believe in me for once in your life and back me up when I make a decision!”

Octavia and her mother were currently having a fight, one of them wanting to challenge herself and the other wanting only to have her daughter follow the path she clears for her. They were standing in their living room, Vito Philharmonica standing behind and a bit to the side of his wife Sonata, and the older brother of Octavia, Cornelio Philharmonica, standing some distance away in the door with a hesitant look on his face.

Neither of the two males had said anything since the youngest of the family, had brought up the idea of her composing a piece for the princesses themselves. Or, more specifically, the Lunar Princess. She was already rising in fame, a lot of big companies were keeping an eye on her. The same for her rivals, all of the driving themselves to exhaustion in an attempt to leave the natural that was Octavia behind.

“Eighteen years old yet you still act like a child that does not get what they want. I have done so much for you, spent so much money to get you the very best teachers and this is how you repay me? With disobedience? Why, I have never! Look at Cornelio for once. He does what is asked of him, never asks questions. Why can’t you be like him!?”

Octavia grit her teeth, her hands balling into fists. “Because I am not him, Sonata. I am Octavia Philharmonica, not Cornelio. I suspected you knew that, but evidently you do not. Stop living your dream through me, and expecting me to do what you dictate. I am your daughter, not your puppet!”

With that she turned on her heel, and left the room, heading for her bedroom where the large black case which contained her precious cello stood. She hefted it up on her back, and started towards the main entrance, grabbing a coat on the way as well as a bag of bits.

“I will be staying at a friend’s house for the time being. Father, brother, Sonata,” she greeted as she gave them each a respectful nod.

Her mother’s angry voice was cut off as the door closed with a click behind her. Her mind already made, she set her course for a certain old friend of hers; Harshavardhan. Or Harpo, as they called him. She needed his help more than ever right now. Not only because she needed a shoulder to lean on, but also because she was in need of another musician, someone of equal skill and similar mindset.


“Yes?” Harpo asked as he opened the door to his apartment, hair unkempt and wearing only a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. If his appearance was anything to go by then he had just woken up from an afternoon nap.

“Harpo… I need you help,” Octavia said, head held low and shoulders slumped. It didn’t take long for the sleepy harpist to wake up fully and usher Octavia inside, closing the door behind her.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” He asked hesitantly, already kicking himself for asking such a question right after she had said she needed it. “Let me rephrase that, what can I do for you?”

Octavia looked up, her eyes looked like she had cried, even if just a little. “I had a fight with my mother. I want to challenge myself, and compose a piece for Princess Luna, but Sona- my mother won’t let me. She refuses to let me do anything she doesn’t order me to do.” She sighed and took a seat on the couch, looking out the window, the cello leaning against the armrest.

She had been here a few times before. It was a cozy little place with a couch, small table, and one of those new magical contraptions people called a television. The kitchen was separated from the living room she was in by a large shelf that went from floor to ceiling, a door leading to the bathroom and another one to the door to the outside. A carpet decorated with red, brown and black swirls lay beneath the table.

Octavia looked up, a determined spark gleaming in her eyes, all thoughts of her mother forgotten. “I want to compose a piece for Princess Luna, and I want you to help me.”

Harpo, his own expression changing from concerned to determined, nodded and dug a few pieces of composition paper and two pens out of a drawer. He went back to her and sat down, laying the papers between them and handing one pen to her.

“Oh, and one more thing,” she started sheepishly. “Can I stay here for a few days as well? I don’t think I want to go home until we’re done here.”

The neighbours could perfectly hear Harpo’s hand impacting on his forehead.


Octavia looked at her wrist watch. It showed the time to be 22:27. Still three minutes until she would be allowed entry to the throne room for her audience. Or rather, her impromptu performance.

She wore her usual pink bowtie, a flowing grey dress hugged her body without making her appear provocative. It was simple yet pretty, allowing her plenty of movement to boot. She sighed and looked at her watch again. 22:28. An unladylike groan escaped her as she cursed time for moving so slowly when one was waiting. She went about tidying up her black braid that hung loosely over her left shoulder. At least that would give her roughly thirty seconds of something to do.

Time passed, and hours seemed to go by until finally she was approached by a guard in golden armour and told that she could enter.

The massive doors ahead of her opened, revealing a long room with a red carpet decorating the middle. Large glass-stains decorating each window as they portrayed heroic deeds done by either the princesses or heroes of old.
She walked inside, her cello case hefted over her shoulder.

When there were but ten steps to the stairs leading to the throne she stopped and looked up for the first time. If not for her incredible self control, she would have adorned a surprised, nay, incredulous expression at the sight of both princesses standing side by side.

“Princess Celestia,” Octavia began, curtseying as best she could while balancing the large cello case with one hand. “I do not mean disrespect, but may I ask why I am graced with your presence? I asked only for a private audience with your sister, Princess Luna.”

A smile graced the sun goddess’ lips. “I heard word that a musician would ask for a private audience with my sister, and when I was informed that you had taken your cello with you I assumed that there would be music involved. As a result I asked my sister if she would allow my attendance as well, and she agreed.”

Octavia glanced at Luna, and saw her nod once in confirmation. “You are correct, Your Majesty, my visit does include music. In fact, it is wholly about that. You see, I have composed, together with a friend, a piece dedicated to Princess Luna, and I wish to present it to her in person. If you allow it, I will start playing immediately.”

A smile and a nod from the diarchs told her that she was free to start whenever she wished to. Octavia bent down and opened the case, retrieving her polished cello, the bow and the papers upon which the pieces was written. She took a moment to look through them, making sure she had memorised everything before she balanced the cello in front of her and put the bow to the strings.

Her amethyst eyes caught Luna’s as the she prepared to play the first notes.

Eight days. Three spent composing, four spent practicing. Only one days break to go home and inform my family that I was fine and would be home soon, then back to Harpo’s. Two skillful musicians creating one piece for one person, taking everything we know and translating it into notes. This is for you, Princess Luna.”

She drew the bow across the strings, playing the first note of the most important composition she had ever written or played.

It started out as uplifting and happy, yet calm and somewhat sombre. Higher notes came into play, depicting a joy unprecedented despite the piece’s relative slowness. It dropped, becoming darker before speeding up and becoming light and happy again.

It wasn’t long before it took a much deeper and sadder feel to it, making it sound like some catastrophe was about to happen, but it also spoke of courage and happiness not long after. The music overtook the young musician’s mind and she swayed in tandem with the notes flying from her bow and strings. To her, there existed nothing but the music.

It stopped suddenly, the notes seemingly bleeding from the instrument. They were no longer high and chipper, but slow and mournful until they died out with a hint of the earlier happiness and joy.

Octavia Philharmonica lowered her bow, and opened her amethyst eyes to look directly at the lunar princess.

“Since the return and redemption of Princess Luna, countless of pieces have been dedicated to her Highness, all of them praising her return and casting light on her beauty, grace and praising her and her night. Clair De Lune is a perfect example. It glorifies the night, glorifies the princess. It portrays both as perfect with no flaw or failures.” She shook her head. “I call those composers and poets fools. Fools who willingly turn the blind eye to the obvious that is ignored.” Octavia put her right hand to her heart, bow held firmly in her fist.

“This piece, ‘Secrets’, portrays the life of Princess Luna. Her fall from grace as the shadows tried to overtake her and nearly turned her against that which she loved the most. It glorifies neither her past nor her present. It portrays her as she is; Flawed like any living being. ‘Secrets’ unveils the lies that other pieces hide behind. Unlike the meaningless praise, this music shows you for who you are. One who fought and almost fell, but rose and emerged victorious. It glorifies you none, but it praises you for who you are.”

Both princesses stood immobile, neither blinking nor betraying any thought or emotion. Octavia stood stock still as well, awaiting judgement for her, honestly, rather provocative speech that followed the piece.

“What do you think, Sister?” Celestia asked, turning to Luna. “The piece was dedicated to you, after all.”

Luna turned to her sister with, a slight frown creeping upon her brow. “She certainly does have talent, and she has a mind unlike any other musician. She’s right in what she says, that the others glorify my night, whereas she praises where praise is due.” She nodded, a small smile playing at her lips. “I think we both agree, do we not?”

Celestia chuckled and smirked in return. “We do, sister.” She then turned to the cellist, eyes shining. “Octavia Philharmonica, I must confess that I did not come here purely by coincidence. I, no, we have been watching you for some time. Watching your progress and keeping an eye out on your development both personality and skill wise. I came here for a reason somewhat more… important than merely watching you play, beautiful as it was,” Octavia couldn’t help the blush colouring her cheeks at the compliment. “You see, my sister and I have been looking for certain.... individuals, and we would like to ask if you would be interested in a position in a grand institution?”

Octavia’s eyes widened. When worded like that, there was only one option. “Y-You mean the Royal Canterlot Orchestra?” She stammered, not being able to believe it. She had come with the goal of impressing the princess of the night, this went far beyond any crazy dream she could have possibly cooked up in her sleep.

“No, not the orchestra,” Luna replied, causing Octavia to slump her shoulders and otherwise just look crestfallen. Her hopes had been raised and then crus- “Think bigger than that, Miss Philharmonica.”

What? Bigger? What could possibly be bigger than playing in the ROYAL Orchestra. It was what all canterlot musicians strived for, the only thing that could possibly be more prestigious would be-” Her eyes could easily be compared to saucers at this moment. There was only one thing she could think of that would be bigger than the orchestra. “You… Your majesties, I am only eighteen. I cannot possibly be a teacher at Canterlot’s Music School.” She bowed her head respectfully. “As much as I would love to be at such a position later in my life, I am unable to do so at present time. Not only would I not be able to play for enjoyment as I primarily do now, but I am also far too young. I am afraid I must decline that offer.”

Luna and Celestia both chuckled at the almost crestfallen cellist. “Octavia, that is not of what I speak either,” Luna continued, grinning.

To say Octavia looked puzzled would be a misunderstanding. She couldn’t for the life of her think of any position that would be grander than the Royal Orchestra and not be a teacher at one of Canterlot’s Music Schools.

“Pardon my ignorance, your majesties, but what exactly do you mean?”

“Miss Octavia Philharmonica,” Celestia began, walking down towards the eponian cellist with Luna at her side.

“We extend to you an invitation,” Luna continued off where Celestia left off. “We offer you a seat in a position that will allow you to, literally, question any decision we should make in the area of music, of any kind, for so long as you hold the position. Your political power will be grand-”

Celestia took the reins again. “And your personal influence on any areas of music even grander. Octavia, we extend to you the offer of a seat in the Council of Harmony."

Octavia stood stunned. She had read a little about the Council of Harmony and knew that it was no more. To hear that she was invited to join it, and possibly as one of the first members in centuries, was an honor beyond comparison. It was something she had never thought possible. To say it exceeded her every hopes and dreams would be a misunderstanding; this was an impossibility!

“I… Your majesties, I don’t know what to say. It is an honor beyond anything I could possibly imagine.” She stopped for a moment before quickly adding, “I do not know what I have done to earn it, but I gladly accept.” It was all she could do to not cry out in girlish glee. She had hoped only for a little bonus points to get into the Canterlot Symphony, but this? She truly didn’t know what to think.

“You have earned it by being an excellent musician as well as showing remarkable judgement of character as well as a critical eye on, not only your own work, but every other piece of music out there. We believe that you’ll be able to look past the differences of the different types of music and see them for the pieces of art they are, and not judge them by their differences.” Luna lay a hand on Octavia’s shoulder which prompted to cellist to look up.

“Now, I have a question, Octavia. As of right now you are a member of the Council of Harmony and have nearly unlimited power in anything about music, so is there anything you want to do as your first -ah- act as the head of all music?”

She brought a finger to her chin, tapping it in thought as various different things shot through her mind. There were a lot of options as to what she could do for her first act as the Musical part of the Council.

“Your Majesties, if I may have my friend enter? He’s waiting outside for me to return.”

At the word of Celestia, a guard left the throne room and returned a few minutes later with the harpist and composer in tow just as Octavia was finished whispering a few words to the princesses.

“Is there something the matter, your majesties?” Harpo asked as he knelt down in front of the two diarchs. He looked up. “I apologise if Octavia’s piece offended either of you. I was part of the creation of this piece, so if any punishment is to be dealt I will take my share of it.”

“Stand up, Harpo, there’s no reason to kneel,” Octavia said with a bit more authority in her voice than had previously been, a detail that did not pass by the composer.

Octavia turned to the two smiling princesses and received a nod from both. The mask of professionalism that she had worn so far slipped away as she smiled in turn, turning to Harpo. “Harpo Nedermane, what would you say to compose pieces, and possibly play, for the Royal Canterlot Symphony Orchestra from tomorrow onwards?”

A loud thud echoed throughout the throne room as Harpo hit the ground, unconscious.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Octavia said with a grin.

Author's Note:

First of the six chapters on the Council of Harmony's members, given to you straight from the quill of Kapuchu.

If you're interested in participating in this fiction : here! We still need someone for Twilight :twilightsmile:.

Stay tuned for the next ones :twilightsmile:

Mariacheat-Brony