• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 1,512 Views, 35 Comments

Tangerine Sashay of Power - touileasaso



When a doubtful Tangerine is chosen to be the school's new hall monitor, her cousin Babs and their new friend Featherweight help her to try and overcome her insecurities. Will it work and will it be for the better?

  • ...
1
 35
 1,512

The New Hall Monitor

It was another bright Monday morning with Celestia's sun shining radiantly from above, with few clouds in the sky. It was the time of day where fillies and colts make their way to school, most of the having their parents accompany them.

Orange Sherbet was one of the parents, walking her daughter Tangerine who had a saddlebag with books and pencils inside it to Gallopsworth Elementary. It takes some minutes to walk from home to school but since it was a straight path to their destination, the trip was easy to make.

"Mother, may I ask you a question?" Tangerine asked.

"But of course, sweetheart." Sherbet said. "What's on your mind?"

"I have always wondered how you and father own the hotel. How do you two work with everypony else?"

Her mother paused, thinking how to answer the question. "Well...I'll have you know that it's not as easy as it seems. Running a business is no small feat. You have to make sure that everything is done right and on time, keep your stock in check, among many other tasks. Not to mention that authority is a very big responsibility. You have to know how to use it."

"I think I understand a little better now." Tangerine nodded.

"Hey, Tangerine! Auntie! Over here!"

Sherbet and Tangerine looked over to the other side of the street to see Babs with her own saddlebag waving to them and her uncle Redwell alongside her. The Oranges joined their relatives to walk to school together. After the last Apple Family Reunion, Sherbet had invested her money to Redwell's new orchard at his offer. Ever since then, Tangerine and Babs got together whenever they could to look for their Cutie Marks together and searching for more members for their club, the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"Hello Babs! Hello Uncle Redwell!" Tangerine greeted back. "Are you both doing well?"

"Yes Tangerine, me and Babs are doing just fine." Redwell chuckled. "In fact, my little filly here was looking forward to talk with you about something."

"Uncle Redwell, I'm not a little filly!" Babs groaned in annoyance and embarrassment. "Would ya please stop calling me that?"

"No can do, Babs. It doesn't matter how much you grow, you'll always be my niece. You understand, right?"

"I guess..."

"I have been meaning to ask Redwell, how is your sister doing lately?" Sherbet asked her cousin. "Is the orchard doing well with you both running it?"

"Yep, me and Apple Dumpling are doing a-okay!" Redwell nodded. "I'll admit that we're starting a bit slow, but we seem to be keeping things together. Some small problems here and there, but that's normal when starting from scratch. So all in all, no real complaints."

After a few more minutes of walking, the group of four had made it to the school's front steps, some students already entering the front door.

"Well, so long you two." Redwell said ruffling his daughter's mane.

"We hope that you both enjoy your day at school." Sherbet added, kissing Tangerine on the forehead.

"Goodbye, mother." Tangerine replied, returning the kiss to her mother's cheek.

"Yeah, later Uncle." Babs grinned, playfully punching his foreleg.

After the fillies said their goodbyes, they walked up the stairs to Gallopsworth School, passing by the fountain. The school was a white and blue three-story tall building stretching out, making it look like a square with one side missing from a view above. In the center was the playground and field where P.E. classes took place.

"Babs, your father said that you wanted to talk to me about something." Tangerine spoke to her cousin. "What is it?"

"Get this, cuz, I think I know wut else we can do to get our Cutie Marks!" Babs said in excitement. "Ice sculpting! It doesn't have ta be fancy, we can start small and make somethin' awesome! So, whaddaya think?"

"Um Babs, I am sorry to tell you that school started not too long ago, and it is still Summer." Tangerine sheepishly pointed out. "We would have to wait until Winter to try that."

The redmaned filly frowned a bit upon the realization. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Darn, I was so looking forward ta that...so what next? Shoul' we try a Cutie Mark in sports?"

The rich filly bit her lower lip, looking unsure. "I do not know...the last time we tried that playing Hoofball, I accidentally broke a window with the ball."

"Oh yeah, I remember...that stallion sure wasn't happy when da ball smacked him right in the kisser." Babs recalled the accident from last week. "But hey, dat was just one honest mistake! I'm sure it won't happen again!"

"I hope so..."

Suddenly, a flash appeared in front of them, causing the fillies to briefly rub their eyes to see what caused said flash.

In front of them was a pegasus colt with a camera strapped around his neck. He had a cream-colored coat, chestnut hair, short tail, light brown eyes ans skinny legs that he could surprisingly stand on just fine. He had also yet to earn a Cutie Mark.

"Oh, was that a bit too bright for you? Sorry about that." he apologized. "I'm just taking pictures of everypony around the school so I can get in the Newspaper Club."

"Uh, who are you?" Babs blinked. "I don't think I've seen you around school before."

"Oh right, my name's Featherweight." the colt introduced himself. "I'm a new student from Corona Park. And what are your names?

"My name is Tangerine, and this my cousin Babs Seed. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Tangerine politely answered.

"Yeah, same here!" Babs replied before whispering in Tangerine's ear. "Hey cuz, do ya think he could join our club? We really need more members, jus' us two together ain't much of a club."

"I think that is a great idea!" Tangerine approved. "But we should ask if Featherweight wants to join us first. We should not force anything on anypony."

"Sure, sounds good to me!"

"Uh, not to butt in or anything, but what were you two talking about?" asked a curious Featherweight.

"It was actually about you. Ya see, we-"

"Hey! You three!"

The loud, authorative voice that had interrupted Babs came from the end of the hallway. It had come from a light blue pegasus colt with brown mane and a yellow sash over his chest. The colt had a smug smile on his face, making Babs groan in annoyance.

"Great, it's Chip Mint again..."

The colt marched over to the three foals whilst keeping his arrogant smile.

"You know the drill, show me your hall passes." he sneered at them.

"Yes, sir." Babs said sarcastically, taking her hall pass out from her saddlebag with Tangerine following suit.

Chip inspected both hall passes and nodded in approval. Upon coming to Featherweight however, he narrowed his eyes. "Didn't you hear me? I said show me your hall pass!"

"But I'm still waiting for-" Featherweight tried to explain, only for the other colt to cut him off.

"Aha! So you don't have a hall pass, do you? That's one demerit for you buster!"

"What!?" Featherweight cried in shock. "Wait, let me explain! My hall pass isn't finished yet! I'm still waiting for it to be ready!"

"Excuses won't help you out of this, so don't try to pull that one on me." Chip snorted.

"Would you cut him some slack!?" Babs snapped at the unicorn. "He already told you why he doesn't have a hall pass, Hall Moron!"

"Talking back to the Hall Monitor! That's one demerit for you, young filly!" he smirked.

"Why you little..."

"Babs, please calm down!" Tangerine pleaded to her angered cousin before turning her attention to the colt. "Chip, may we please go? We will be late for class if we do not hurry."

"Not so fast, missy!" Chip exclaimed. "I'm still talking to you three, and you can only leave when I say so!"

"But..."

The school bell rang throughout the school, signaling that class had begun.

"And now you're late for class! One demerit for each one of you!" Chip smirked, writing on his notepad. "Move along now! Get to your classroom!"

The three foals quickly walked away from the overbearing colt, wanting to get as far away from him as possible.

"Gosh, who was that jerk?" Featherweight muttered.

"That's Chip Mint. He think's he's soooooooooooo important just because he's Hall Monitor." Babs rolled her eyes, blowing away a stray fetlock of her hair.

"Our last Hall Monitor Ginger Snap was not so bad, though. She was fair in her duties and made sure that everything was in order." Tangerine said.

"Really? So what happened?" Featherweight asked.

"Her time ran out. You're only allowed to be Hall Monitor for a month or so." Babs answered. "All I know is dat when I become Hall Monitor, I'll be doing things the right way!"

Tangerine became lost in thought for a while, remembering the conversation she had with her mother not too long ago. Was Chip Mint the example of somepony wrongly using his authority? Tangerine hoped that she would never be like that.


My Little Pony, My Little Pony

Ahh, ahh, ahh, ahhh...

(My Little Pony)

I used to wonder what friendship could be

(My Little Pony)

Until you all shared its magic with me

Great discoveries!

Tricks galore!

A rich slice of life,

And a heartfelt score.

Budding courage

It's an easy feat

And magic makes it all complete!

You have my little ponies

Do you know you're all my very best friends?


Sometime has passed ever since Tangerine and Babs met the new student, Featherweight. During recess, the two fillies offered to show him around the school in classrooms like history, chemistry, english, art, gym, biology, gardening, music, theatre, cooking, shop, photography (which was Featherweight's favorite), geography and math while avoiding the watchful eyes of the Hall Monitor. They even managed to find his locker. The young colt enjoyed the tour, taking pictures whenever he could.

"Wow, this school's awesome!" Featherweight grinned. "No wonder it was rated four stars!"

"I know, right? This place has jus' about anything you want!" Babs agreed.

"Yeah! So uh, was there something you guys wanted to talk to me about?"

"Hmm?" Tangerine perked up her head, before realizing what he was talking about. "Oh, right! We were going to tell you something before we got interrupted!"

"Crud, we almost forgot about it!" Babs exclaimed. "Anyway, me and my cuz have formed a club for foals without Cutie Marks."

"Really?" Featherweight asked, looking back at his blank flank.

"Yup, and we were wondering if you'd like to join the club! We will do many thing together to get our Cutie Marks!"

"Wow, that sounds cool!"

"So does that mean you'll join us!?" Tangerine asked excitedly.

Featherweight's stopped smiling, looking down at the floor. "Um...I'm not sure. I do like your club, but will it be the best thing for to get my Cutie Mark? I don't know...can I have some time to think about it?"

"Of course you can! Our offer is always open to you!"

"Guys, I'd hate to break this short but we'd better get back to class before Chip chews us out." Babs warned her friends.

"Speaking of Chip, I don't think we've seen him again for the rest of the day..." Featherweight wondered. "Were we really that good at staying away from him?"

The brown filly just shrugged, blowing a tinge of her hair away. Their next schedule was history, their teacher being a green-coated and blue maned pegasus mare named Jane Starr, her Cutie Mark being an open book with light shining from it. Joining their class were Specs, Cutup and a pink unicorn filly with light blue mane and tail having a yellow heart and lipstick as a Cutie Mark, Gloria.

Gloria was a nice filly and friendly to everyone she met, although she did obsess over her looks a lot, cringing and panicking over even the slightest flaw in her coat and mane. She even kept a make-up kit in her saddlebag, ready to pamper herself whenever she felt like she needed to. And although her antics did annoy Babs at times, they were friendly with one another, even when the unicorn insisted on giving the earth pony a better look, to which the answer was always 'no'.

After the students took their seats, Jane went to her desk to begin the class.

"Class, may I please have your attention?" she called, silencing the colts and fillies. "Thank you. Now before we begin I have an announcement to make. You may have not heard of this, but our current Hall Monitor Chip Mint has recently left to Ponyville for some urgent family business, and will not return for another month."

Although the classroom was was quiet, every student was cheering and celebrating in their heads, glad to be finally rid of unbearable, smug colt. And they also knew what that meant: a spot for the position of Hall Monitor, something that almost every foal in the room was eager for. All but one filly.

"So, as you might know, this means that we will be choosing a new student to take his place as Hall Monitor." Jane continued. "Does anypony want to fill in the role?"

Many hooves immediately spang up along with excited shouts begging to be Hall Monitor. Only Tangerine, who was seated in the middle, did not have her hoof raised, looking nervous around all of her fellow classmates.

"You'd have to be crazy to say no!"
"Who would actually not want to be Hall Monitor!?"
"Only a mad pony would refuse this!"

"Now, now. Settle down, everyone." Jane said, calming her students. "Now, for how the new Hall Monitor shall be chosen..." she reached under her desk to pull out a small hat with folded scraps of paper inside it. "I will be taking a piece of paper from this hat from somepony who has not been Hall Monitor yet. And the student's name I draw will be our new Hall Monitor."

Some students moaned, probably those who have already been Hall Monitors before, while others were impatiently waiting for their teacher to pull a name out of the hat.

"Oh boy! If it's me, I can stop bad guys just like Superstallion!" Cutup thought in excitement.

"Watch out, Ethquetria! Soon, Atomic Thpecs'll be here to sthave you from evil doers everywhere!" Specs dreamed.

"Please let it be me! I want to wear that sash, just to see how it looks on me!" Gloria pleaded.

"Wow, imagine me as a Hall Monitor! Can you believe how awesome that'd be?" Featherweight said in amazement.

"What if me and Tangerine could get our Cutie Marks for this? It'd be so awesome!" Babs excitedly thought.

"Please let it be anypony but me, please let it be anypony but me..." Tangerine pleaded, the only student not enthusiastic over this.

"And our new Hall Monitor is..." Jane reached into the hat, pulled out a name and read it before revealing it to the class.

"Tangerine!"

Despite not getting the position of Hall Monitor, everyone else applauded for the shocked filly.

"Congratulations, dear! Come up here and get your sash!" Jane smiled, holding the yellow sash with her wing.

Tangerine slowly walked through the still-applauding students to the teacher.

"Um...Ms. Starr?" Tangerine nervously spoke.

"Yes, Tangerine?"

The rich filly was about to decline being Hall Monitor and give the sash to someone else, until she remembered what the students were shouting when they volunteered to be Hall Monitor. She didn't want anyone to think that she was too scared to take on the role of Hall Monitor. She sighed before reluctantly muttering "I accept."


After school was over for the day, many students in the class went to congratulate Tangerine for getting to be Hall Monitor, who was now wearing the yellow sash over her chest.

"Tangerine, this is so cool! You, the Hall Monitor? You could get a Cutie Mark out of this!" Babs cheered for her cousin.

"Wow Tangerine, you could be exactly like Batfilly, an awesome superhero!" Cutup grinned.

"Nuh uh, sthe's more like WondtherMare, what with thying up crooks here and there!" Specs disagreed with his friend.

"Oh, what do you know!? Batfilly does practically the same thing!"

"Please ignore those two for now." Gloria suggested, leading Tangerine away from the arguing colts. "But anyway, congratulations once again on being named Hall Monitor! I kind of envy you, Tangerine. I've always wanted to wear that sash, just to see how I look with it. Oh well, there's always next time."

"My first day in school, and I'm already friends with the Hall Monitor! I can't believe my luck!" Featherweight beamed. "So, what's it like being Hall Monitor?"

"Um..." Tangerine trailed, not sure how to answer.

"Tangerine, are you all right?" Gloria asked, noticing her uneasy look.

"I am, it is just that...I do not know how to be Hall Monitor..." Tangerine admitted.

"It's okay Tangerine. I'm pretty sure that's how it's like for many ponies!" Featherweight consoled the filly.

"No, I think I know wha' she means." Babs said in realization. "You're not exactly the aggresive type, are you?" the green-maned nodded to her cousin's question.

"Oh...that might be a problem..." Gloria said in understanding.

"I agree. I just can not make myself appear forceful to others." Tangerine agreed. "I do not think I will ever be a good Hall Monitor..."

"Hey, don't say dat! You can be great Hall Monitor! All you need is some help!" Babs encouraged. "And Featherweight and I will be happy to help ya!"

The pegasus colt widened his eyes in surprise. "Hey wait! Why are you dragging me into this?"

"It's just so you can see how our club works! By watching and working with us, you can decide whether you wanna join or not. So, how 'bout it?"

"Well..." Featherweight paused. After some seconds, he nodded. "Okay, I'll come along."

"I can see that you three are going to be busy these days." Gloria smiled. "So Babs, can I join too?"

"Uh, no offense Gloria, but you'll just be giving fashion tips to Tangerine, which I'm sure she already knows of since she lives in a really expensive hotel." Babs said, making the pink filly frown a bit.

"It never hurts to know a bit more though!" Gloria then sighed. "Oh well. Feel free to call me if you ever need me. Good luck, I hope everything works out!" Packing her saddlebag, Gloria walked away to meet up with her parents.

"Babs, you do not really have to do this." said the nervous rich filly.

"Of course I do! Anything to help my cuz!" Babs grinned, putting a foreleg over Tangerine. "Just you wait Tangerine! We'll make you da best Hall Monitor this school could ever have!"

Author's Note:

Chip Mint- appeared in A Friend in Deed
Ginger Snap- appeared in Just for Sidekicks

Now for the new characters I did put up here:

Featherweight: Yes, I will be adding another Crusader for the Manehattanverse in this chapter from the forums. He's just not an official Crusader yet, since if he just accepted from the get-go, that'd be too cliche I think. Anyway, Featherweight's a nice and innocent kid, taking his trustworthy camera with whenever he can everywhere. Since this is all new to him, he is curious and sometimes a bit adventurous, something your everyday photographer might be like. He's also the more 'sane colt' in the group than the others, sometimes questioning their reckless activities on getting their Cutie Marks.

Gloria: I consider her a miniature version of Rarity, just without the 'darling' quote. She is a nice filly, just obsessed with her looks and offers to help others look better, especially to Babs, much to her annoyance.

For the school, I did what I believed to be how a school works in cities: having different teachers for different school subjects and of course, Hall Monitors.

If you see anything you think looks out of place, please let me know so I can fix it. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this!