• Published 1st Sep 2013
  • 636 Views, 34 Comments

What We've Done - All of the Above



Char and Xavier are the best scientists around. But when they need money, they accept help from a mysterious mare. They know nothing of her dark intentions.

  • ...
3
 34
 636

Chapter 1: The Test Subject

Author's Note:

Yay, I finally got a chapter done. Now onto other things.
If anyone has a picture that I could use for a cover art for this story, PLEASE send it to me!
Marigold was created by Kitzune
Magnolia/Maggy was created by Trixie-Lulamoon
The unamed pegasus mare created by Doom Trot.

(Char's POV)

Four years earlier...

My regular schedule for the day had begun, once again. Only this time, I had awoken before my wake-up call. That was provided by my dog, Tailgate. Instead, I was awoken by the sound of running water. One of my helpers had come early.

Before I go any further, let me clarify just one thing. I'm blind. I have been for quite some time. Ever since I was a foal. I wasn't born with it, I just had a little accident. Some ponies blame my now deceased father, but it was my fault it happened. I was the one that was fooling around with his matches that he used for his cigarettes...

I slowly sat up, and took the first steps. After feeling around for any scattered objects, I took my first step towards the door. Rapid footsteps, and the jingle of a leash caught the attention from my ears. I heard the door squeak open, followed by panting from my dog. I felt him jump on my leg, begging me to pet him. Appeasing him, I put my hoof on his head, and began to slowly bring it towards his backside. I repeated this a couple times until he was finally pleased. I set my hoof down for him. I felt him put a leathery item next to my hoof. His leash. After locating the leash, I picked it up with my mouth, and he lead me to the stairs.

The sound of water stopped just as I had reached the stairs. "Char, you're up. I was just deciding what to make you for breakfast," came a female voice.

Her familiar voice was music to my ears. "Good morning, Marigold," I replied. Marigold was a very nice mare, who was more than happy to help me when I needed it. We met through her friend, Applejack. Applejack came to my house because she asked me if I had any tools that she could use. After explaining that I was blind, she apologized for bothering me. I insisted that she stay and chat, but she said she was busy. But she told me that a friend of hers could come down. That's when she volunteered to help me out. Ever since then we've been really good friends. Maybe even more than friends...

"You want scrambled eggs or pancakes?" Marigold asked.

"I'll take the eggs."

"Oh, but you always have eggs. Why not have something different?"

"Because it's easier sticking to a regular schedule." She didn't say anything else, but I could hear her open the fridge and take out some items. After finishing my descent down the staircase, I was directed towards the kitchen table.

I could hear her shuffle around my house. The door opened, and some hoofsteps were heard. "Morning everypony."

"Hey Maggy." I could hear the pegasus mare enter my abode, sitting in the chair across from me.

Maggy's full name is Magnolia, but she likes us to call her Maggy. Like I said before, she's a pegasus. I don't know too much about her, other than the fact that she's really nice. She and Mari are good friends, and they enjoy each others company.

"Looks like it's the girls day," Maggy stated.

"Eeyup!" Marigold said ecstaticly.

I have two other helpers who are stallions. There's an earth pony named White Out. The other helpers call him Tibbles, but I’m not sure why. Tibbles usually comes on Tuesdays. He tells me stories about adventures he’s had, along with plenty of others. He’s told me that he wears a blue... (Celestia, I hate it when they use colors in their sentences.) hat at all times, even when he’s asleep. Apparently, he’ll panic if he loses it.

Then there was Blaze. He's a rather strange stallion. He likes to describes himself as an emotional, smart, and passionate pony. He certainly lives up to those words. Just last week, he started telling me about this math symbol that he learned about. He really got into it, and started speaking like he was in a play. If it was a play, I would have given him a standing ovation. Science was my subject of choice, never a big fan of math, but I still listened to Blaze's lecture about it.

"Breakfast is ready," Marigold said.

"Do you think you can make me some pancakes?" asked Maggy.

"This isn't a restaurant. If you want some, go make them yourself." Maggy didn't say anything in return.

"Could you at least hand me the paper?"

"Sure thing." More hoofsteps. "You make the news again?"

"No, I just want to check out this work section," I could hear the paper crinkling while she opened it.

While they were busy, I tapped on the ground. I captured Tailgate's attention, and he came to me. He nuzzled up to me, which was telling me that he was by my side. Tailgate was given to me a few years back from one of those companies who gave seeing-eye dogs to ponies like me. He's really smart, and he does exactly what I tell him to do.

"Tailgate, go get the box under my bed." After licking me, I heard him run up the stairs, and down the stairs moments later. Tailgate set the box on my lap. "Good boy." I gave him a pat on his head. I could hear his tail hitting the ground repeatedly.

"What'cha got there?" Marigold asked me. "Is that the thing you've been working on?" You could just hear the annoyance in her voice. She thinks that what I've been working on is a waste of time, and I spend all my time on it. But when it's complete, I'll be walking up the steps to claim my Nobel Prize. And when I get it, my speech shall be four words, and four words only. I told you so!

"When that thing doesn't work, don't come crying to me," she scoffed.

Ignoring her, I continued working on it. Though I don't know what it looks like, I know what it's supposed to be and what it's supposed to do. I don't feel like telling you about it just yet.

"Hey Char, there's a job opening," Maggy said, sounding unreasonably excited. "And it's at a science place."

"Really? Read it to me," I asked of her.

Before beginning, she cleared her throat. "Accepting individuals who are willing to be tested on by trustworthy scientists. If interested, please visit the Science Center located ten miles west of Ponyville. No, sorry, read that wrong. Canterlot. Silly me."

I received mixed emotions from the silence that occupied the house. I sensed that Marigold doubted the idea, but felt different. "I think this is a good idea for you," Maggy said.

"How can you possibly think that's a good idea? What if something goes wrong?"

"You don't need to worry about that Mari, I'll be fine. Besides, I'm blind. What's the worst that they could do?" I chuckled at my own little joke. At least to my standards it was. Nopony thought it was funny.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked, showing fear in her tone.

"Of course I'm sure. It'll liven up my boring life!"

Once again, she didn't say anything. "I can't tell you what you can and can't do. If you want this job, then you go ahead and take it."

I smiled. "Why don't we get a move on then?"

"I'll get a taxi cart," Maggi said, getting up from her sitting position.

"Char." I heard Marigold step closer to me. I felt her hoof on my shoulder. "I'm worried about you. I don't like this."

"You've got nothing to worry about. What's the worst that could happen?"


The ride to the Science Center was pleasant to me. It was nice to finally get out of the house after so long. My caretakers came with me, as well as Tailgate. I discovered that I could cancel out any noise, no matter how loud. It proved useful when we arrived.

"YOU ARE THE LOUSIEST TAXI CART DRIVER EVER! You couldn't even pull the cart straight!" Magnolia shouted at our puller.

"It's my first day, gimme a break!" the stallion pulling the cart shouted back. The two continued their little argument, while me and Marigold continued to wander around.

While we were walking, I heard voices coming from several different locations. I soon realized that it was coming from about twenty different foals.

"Did we have fun class?" a feminine voice asked.

"Yes, Miss Cheerilee," came the reply.

I've always loved foals, and I often dreamed of having my own. That would be the day...

"Excuse me, ma'am." Apparently, Marigold had stopped to talk to the mare. "Do you know where they're holding the test subject job interviews?"

"That I do. It's over there, at the stallion holding a sign."

"Why thank you."

"You volunteering?"

"No, it's this stallon I know."

"Ah, your coltfriend?" The silence from that question made my teeth grind. I didn't know what she was about to say, and I kind of didn’t want to know. And what made her come to the conclusion that I was her coltfriend?

“I... uh... we’re...” she stammered.

I heard the mare let out a chuckle, then I heard her walk off. I sensed a little sway in her step, but I couldn't possibly see why she did that.

The noise in the building clouded the sounds of her hoofsteps. It startled me when I realized that she was only an ear away from me. After recovering from my initial shock, we just kept walking. Neither of us said anything. From my perspective, the way to the interview felt like twelve miles.

I felt like an idiot, not saying anything. What I would give to just say something, anything at all. But my voice box just wouldn’t work. I wanted to tell her what a great help she's been, what a good friend she'd been. What she really meant to me...

"W-we're here," she said. "I think."

"What do you see?"

"I see a jittery pegasus."

I waited for her to direct me, but I couldn't hear her move. She may have been just gawking at the pegasus. "Well?"

"Well what?"

"Are we going or not?"

"I'm not going over to her."

"Why not?"

"I don't know what, but I sense something odd about her," she cuddled up to me. "She's looking all over the place and talking to absolutely nopony. She also looks dangerous. She's wearing what looks like a weapon around her hoof."

"You should never be quick to judge. Now let's go." I gave her a little shove, and she started to walk.

"Excuse m-" Marigold was interrupted by a little scream of terror.

"Do not touch me, I have a-a bomb and I intend on using it!" It seemed like the entire building went quiet after that. "Heh heh. I'm just messing around, no need to get worried or anything!"

A minute or two passed before the dust had settled, and everypony went back to their business. "Nopony is going to check me?" the pegasus mare announced. "Okay then."

Marigold took her time before talking to the mare once again. "Do you know where they're holding the interviews for the test subjects?"

I heard nothing but silence for a few seconds. It led me to believe that she was studying Marigold. Maybe it was some kind of security thing, or it was her first day on the job.

"Yeah, that's why I'm out here. I'm supposed to guide them to the waiting room. The other scientists are busy handling some paperwork,” she said. "I think we can go back in there now."

"Great!" I exclaimed. "Let's go."

"Allonsy!"

"I'll see you later, Char," Marigold said.


And so began the rise of Char Gen, and the fall of Equestria’s peace.