• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 1,109 Views, 144 Comments

To be a Wonderbolt: Fall of a Nation - Diablomuerte2



The finale of the To be a Wonderbolt series ends with a war that will put two nations at risk. Can Equestria survive a war against a threat of great force?

  • ...
4
 144
 1,109

Wonderbolt Down

Wonderbolt Down

At the raging front lines, the offensive unit was occupied in fighting back against the Draconian threat, seemingly isolated from the rest of the war raging throughout Equestria. Lacking a connection the the main chain of command, they were unaware of the catastrophic events taking place in the rest of Equestria.

Rainbow Dash was busy dodging two Draconians that had singled her out from the rest of the unit. She was using all her wing power to avoid the speedy Draconians and was looking for an opening to counter attack. With the combat growing in length the fatigue was starting to build up for both ally and foe alike. This was a battle where one wrong move meant death for any participant.

Soarin was busy fighting an elite Draconian all the while keeping situational awareness so as not to lose his wings to any surprise attacks. His movements were erratic as the pegasus was avoiding his opponent’s teeth, claws, and tail. He needed to remain as battle ready as possible and didn't want to die so soon in the war, after all he had plans to marry Swift Wind after his return.

Spitfire was just finishing off a wounded Draconian as she started feeling the effects of muscle fatigue hit. Her body was slowly losing its stamina from the intense flying and lack of rest away from the hectic fray. She was pushing her body above beyond the limits in order to keep the battle going in their favor.

The rest of the Wonderbolts were trying their hardest to tackle the Draconians or at least to survive long enough for the more competent members to pick off their opponents. Meanwhile, the second wave of Draconians were lying in wait for the opportune moment to enter the battlefield and turn the tide of war in the Draconians’ favor.

____________________________________________________________

King Dragunda was waiting impatiently for his moment to enter the fray. He was in the throne room still preparing the last of the reserve forces for combat and waiting for the second wave to fall and all his forces to fail. His plan was to give them false hope of winning if they managed to defeat the army and to sacrifice his deity in order to consume it's soul and become one with it.

He could feel the life force of Pildragus slowly decreasing as the moments went by. He was pretending to get mad when the reports of failure were coming across from the scouting unit. With each failure his internal joy grew, and his external anger as well.

"Get the reserves ready in case the army falls to the enemy. We will sacrifice everything if we have to. I will win against the ponies and devour their souls," King Dragunda announced while grinning wickedly.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash found herself using her superior speed to evade the two Draconians that were dead set on ending her life. She had been trying to reserve her energy with nowhere to relax and no time for it either. She noticed as she was flying faster her body was slowly wearing down. "Move... I don't want to die like this," she commanded her body.

It was seemingly the end for Rainbow Dash until she saw an opening and took it. She flew right past them both and when they were confused as to her location she disemboweled them with ease. She was smiling until she saw a luminescent orb of dark energy fly right at her. With no chance of evasion she braced herself for impact.

When the dark energy didn't hurt her she began wondering what just happened. It wasn't long until Discord's last thoughts played out and gave Rainbow Dash a grasp of the situation. It wasn't a happy occasion to know that Discord had failed but at least he had thought to entrust her with the last of his power and allow her to use it when the time came.

____________________________________________________________

The Draconians were getting upset about their dwindling numbers and decided on a new tactic. They were going to stop pursuing the weaker members who were just delaying the battle and were going to fight off the three main attackers from the unit.

Setting their plan in motion, they began circling the ponies they aimed to eradicate. One of the Draconians lunged towards Soarin only to get a hoof in the eye as a response. With the pain searing through his optic nerves, he was unable to dodge the inevitable killing blow and fell into the ocean below.

The others thought out more carefully their attacks and two of them went for the worn out Spitfire. She seemed like easy pickings and, for all intent and purposes, that was the case. Slowly they continued circling her waiting for the Wonderbolt to mess up so they could eliminate her out with little to no risk of injuring themselves.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash saw the two encroaching Draconians waiting to pick off Spitfire and rushed in to save her, but before she could get close enough another Draconian swiped at her and forced her to roll out of the way of his vicious claws. She was now battling a Draconian of her own and trying to get a chance to save Spitfire before it was too late.

Soarin was being chased by three Draconians until the other members of the aerial unit came to his aide. The lesser known Wonderbolts rushed in and were able to distract one of the Draconians long enough for Soarin to get out of harms way. He rushed in and used the opening to kill off another Draconian, but in doing so, felt his energy about to reach it's limit.

Spitfire was running off reserved strength and was slowly losing speed and agility. She was avoiding attacks by sheer luck at this point. She didn't know how long she could keep up the efforts, and with the others busy she had no clue what to do. She was still not going to give up, even if it meant she would pay for pushing her body so far later if she lived.

The rest of the offensive unit was still with Soarin fighting off the other Draconians and Rainbow Dash was still busy with the one blocking her path. Rainbow Dash thought about using the boost from Discord until she realized that the war wasn't over and it would be risky to use something as unstable as the borrowed power. She had to make a choice, watch Spitfire die or risk her own life for the ex captain.

She decided on plan b, and rushed through the Draconian blocking her, slicing him in the process. She was surprised he was stupid enough to allow himself to be harmed when he had the upper hand. She used the lucky break to rush in and distract one of the Draconians which gave Spitfire some chance of surviving the encounter.

____________________________________________________________

Spitfire felt joy in the odds being somewhat reduced, but even with Rainbow’s intervention she still wasn't sure if she could make it though. With her fatigue reaching critical levels and the Draconian barely slowing down, it seemed unlikely to Spitfire that was going to make it through this. She could feel her senses fading as time passed on and soon she was barely able to fly straight.

This moment sealed her fate and before she knew it a Draconian was directly in front of her with a smile on his face. It seemed that he was slowly going to drag out her death in some sick and twisted act of cruelty. He grabbed her and moved her close to his face. She watched helplessly unable to do anything to resist, the odds of her surviving didn’t look good for her.

Just before he roasted the ex captain the Draconian felt something hit his back. He tossed Spitfire out of his hands and quickly grabbed whatever attacked him and stared at it. He had in his grasp, a pale blue stallion with a death wish that was soon going to be granted.

Soarin, despite going to be killed, had a smile on his face and felt at peace, "Spitfire, just live your life and hang in there." His last words were uttered with a dreadful finality as the Draconian roasted the pegasus and then devoured him whole. Spitfire had to endure seeing Soarin sacrifice his life for her. It wasn't worth it in her opinion, she didn’t feel she was worth the life of another pegasus.

Rainbow Dash upon seeing this, became enraged and killed the Draconian responsible for Soarin's death. She didn't stop at him either, she rampaged across the battlefield over the ocean and slaughtered the enemy forces long before she ran out her head of steam. Now with all the Draconians dead and nothing to unleash her rage on she started crying.

"Why... why did that have to happen? Why did he have to die? Why... Spitfire... you should have died not him... you..." She could barely speak her energy gone and her emotions running wild. Sighing, Rainbow Dash ordered her unit to the nearest cliff to rest before anything else came their way.

Spitfire collapsed as soon as she landed on the cliffs. Her body had finally given out and she going into was in shock over Soarin's gruesome death. She expected to see ponies die on the battlefield but not somepony that close to her. It was almost as if life was playing some cruel joke on her.

____________________________________________________________

Pildragus had finally made it back to the fight in time to see the last of the Draconians get obliterated by Rainbow Dash. He saw her and smiled at how vicious she got at the death of someone that close to her. He was going to finish off the squadron as they relaxed and tried to gather some energy before more Draconians arrived, and started making his way towards them, itching to kill them all.

When he got close enough he began producing a huge sphere of flame that was going to wipe them all out except it dispersed before it was fully formed. "My powers... they are fading... oh no... am I dying?" Death was a new concept to Pildragus having outlived every Draconian ever to come into the world since his creation.

Pildragus finally understood what was going on. He hadn't even noticed until now that he was being used as a pawn for Dragunda's conquest. "That sneaky bastard, I should have known he was trying to sacrifice me for his own gain...well joke's on him, now I’m going to alert the enemy of his plan." Pildragus wasn't going to let any creature use him and get away with it.

He rushed to the cliff that his foes were resting at, "Before any of you attack me, I have an important message."

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash was using all her energy left to put up the facade that she was eager to fight, "Well go ahead, give us the message before I take you out." Her eyes were lit with burning desire. She wanted nothing more than to destroy every last Draconian in revenge for Soarin's untimely demise.

Pildragus chuckled, "In your state you couldn't even put a dent in me but I have no time for argument. I just need to inform you that this entire war was a clever ruse by Dragunda to claim my power and take dominance over the world. His goal has succeeded, I am afraid my death is inevitable, and when I die my soul shall be his to claim and he will become even more powerful than I was."

Rainbow Dash got angry, "So then why are you telling me this? Don't you want him to succeed? If not then why not do something about it instead of alerting us to our doom?"

Pildragus grew silent for a second before responding, "You see, I was going to kill all of you and continue eliminating you worthless ponies until my powers gave out just now... it wasn't something that I experienced before in my entire lifetime as an immortal being. This could only mean that I am dying and, and since I am not long for this world, it means I couldn't eliminate someone as mighty as Dragunda seeing as how my life essence is slowly draining away as we speak."

Rainbow Dash was growing tired of his presence and wanted the deity to hurry up and die, "So then what are we supposed to do about it? If you can't stop Dragunda yet still killed Discord, then how are we supposed to do anything?"

Pildragus laughed, "You aren't supposed to do anything but if your army was successful in ridding this world of the Draconians that invaded your land then you might be able to try raiding Draconia before Dragunda can absorb my soul completely. The chances are slim, but if you can kill him before he becomes a deity then you... can... " He never finished his statement as his body started disintegrating as his life ended.

Rainbow Dash started shouting, "What? We can what? Win? Survive? What?" when she was given no answer in return she started stomping her hooves in anger and crying out, "Damn it!"

____________________________________________________________

Fall of a Nation Part 1: End

Fall of a Nation part 2: Next chapter

Author's Note:

So this ends the half way mark of the story.

Now that Dragunda's true motive for war has been revealed can anypony stop his ascension or will Dragunda rise as a true bad ass and take out all of Equestria?

Find out starting next chapter.