• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 1,109 Views, 144 Comments

To be a Wonderbolt: Fall of a Nation - Diablomuerte2



The finale of the To be a Wonderbolt series ends with a war that will put two nations at risk. Can Equestria survive a war against a threat of great force?

  • ...
4
 144
 1,109

Backfire

Backfire

Draconia, what used to be a land of proud Draconians, was now a ruined nation turned battleground. It was the height of civilization for the sapient dragons. They had structures and caste systems that would suggest higher intelligence than most archaic dragons. It was glorious in it's hay day, but now it was barely recognizable.

The Pinkie-geddon had laid waste to the nation of Draconia and the squadron of aerial ponies had decimated the numbers of survivors. The dark action taken by the usually peaceful ponies was actually working in the enemies' favor. King Dragunda needed the queen's end to induce a quicker soul absorption and with all his kingdom being annihilated the sacrificial necessity was completed by other means.

With the power at his fingertips the king of Draconia was ready to perform the ritual and absorb the soul of Pildragus and finally achieve his darkest goal.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie, were making their way to the castle perimeter. "How many shells do you have left Pinkie?" Rainbow asked while they soared through the air. The castle was in sight and the entrances were being blocked by the few castle guards that had remained behind. The Guards were ultra observant and needed to be dealt with.

Pinkie Pie had no answer and left it to Applejack to deliver the bad news. "It ain't lookin' too good RD, we runnin' outta things to launch." She knew with the little bit of ammo left they would run out shortly and would be sitting ducks.

Rainbow Dash sighed in annoyance. "Then that means we have to make our way straight for the throne room and not use any shells till we’re sure they will hit Dragunda." She started flying above the castle looking for any alternate paths inside. The limited ammo supply and the lack of reinforcements meant they had only one shot at stopping Dragunda.

The Pinkie-geddon was following Rainbow Dash close by and making sure no Draconians caught wind of them just yet. The stifling seconds passed with worry exuding from the pilot of the death machine. "Hurry... we don't have much time." Pinkie knew that the longer they stayed out in the open the easier it was to get blind sided.

Rainbow Dash found a section of the castle she could easily lead the others through and signaled them to get close. "Alright guys this is it. We go in and we do our thing then we all go home, simple right?"

____________________________________________________________

Spitfire and the rest of the aerial unit were busy fighting off much tougher Draconians than they had faced during the war. It was almost making Spitfire regret having the team being split up. With Soarin dead and Rainbow Dash doing whatever it is she was, it made her feel alone.

"Alright guys let's not give them any meals today. I want to see them all fall before any of us even begin to think of dying!" She cheered out to boost morale and rally the troops. It was desperation giving the false bravado an extra effect on the winged combatants.

She had never been less prepared for the outrageously skilled enemies. She tried using their disembowelment technique with the wing blades and it not only failed but was countered and she was smacked away. The force of the hit knocked her back plenty good and almost caused her to lose aerial balance. "This isn't good... these guys are much better than the ones we barely managed to fight off before."

She looked around and saw the other ponies desperately trying to avoid being mutilated and attempting to strike to no avail. This battle was going downhill and it seemed their plan had backfired. "Well Rainbow Dash, we can try holding them off as long as possible, so please hurry... and do what we came to do."

____________________________________________________________

The Griffins that had been stalking the ponies had witnessed what was a futile attempt at fighting off the opposition. "Alright men let's do this," Prince Greg commanded. They were ready to intercept and help since the moment was right. Their screeching battle cry had confused the combatants in the battle that was taking place in the sky.

With the confusion causing momentarily still bodies the Griffins swooped in and began raining pain on the Draconian scum. The attacks were somewhat successful and they managed to push back and maim some of the enemies but without the death blow they just put themselves into a predicament.

"Prince Greg... the plan of attack is not working as we expected," one of the worried soldiers called out.

Prince Greg smiled. "Well let's improvise then... Alright all squadron units that fall under my command link up with a pony and try finding some way to kill these pests... we don't have time for strategy so let instinct guide you."

The griffins all followed orders and began tag teaming the Draconians with opportunistic attacks. Even with the numbers on their side the Draconians were not making it easy for them. The battle was raging on with both sides taking hits, it seemed that bodies would soon be falling onto the ground below.

____________________________________________________________

King Dragunda had already begun the ritual and could feel the effects of absorbing such a great entity's power. The slow absorption process left him vulnerable enough to be taken out. Yet with his cleverness and last minute planning he had been able to prevent any means of interruption.

He heard the muffled retort of an explosion and grinned as the room he was in wasn't affected at all. "Sorry ponies... but I'm not stupid enough to hold a ritual in a throne room," he whispered grimly.

He kept hearing noises of battle and blasts and noticed they were getting closer. It was moments away from his ascension and already the tables were slowly turning. If they figured out where he was in time it would be disastrous for him. "I worked too hard for this moment... I will not let anything stop me."

____________________________________________________________

"Damn it he isn't in the throne room... where the hay is this guy?" Rainbow Dash asked while dodging the claws of a guard. She used the momentum of her enemy to counter and slit his throat. "We need to find him!"

Pinkie Pie kept flying around avoiding attacks from the Draconians that were trying to stop them. "Darn it... I can't keep this thing stable long enough for Applejack to get a shot in... Rainbow Dash you need to clear the sky of enemies! Now!"

Applejack had been looking for any extra ammo and felt the panic begin settling in. "Darn it Pinkie... we're down to our last shell. After this we ain't goin' to be doin' any good up here."

Rainbow Dash disemboweled one of the guards and slammed her hoof into the neck of another before she used the situation to get some answers. "Where is Dragunda... you tell me and I will let you go free."

The draconian was a younger one. He wasn't as battle ready and only joined the guards to get ensured a mate. "I don't know where he is... I thought he was in the throne room."

Rainbow Dash didn't like that answer and she let him know right away. "Sorry... but that isn't the answer I was looking for," she said wickedly before she slit his throat and walked away.

Pinkie Pie looked away from the scene and just kept focused on flying her soon to be useless death machine.

____________________________________________________________

Spitfire and Prince Greg were dealing with one of the more vicious Draconians. They were able to get minor cuts here and there, but overall, it was becoming exhausting for both of them to continuously dodge the swift attacks of the superior fighter.

"Darn it, what's with these guys... don't they get tired?" Prince Greg asked while nearly avoiding getting his head lopped off. "It's like they are aren't even alive."

"This is what we had to dealt with during the war, and before we die can you let me know what the griffins are doing here?" Spitfire asked while nicking the neck of the Draconian and flying around it.

"Well that optimism is sure getting us through this, anyways, we are here because we wanted to help."

"A little too late for that... don't you think?"

"Yeah... we didn't get to help out in the war because of political complications. I wasn't the one who ordered us to remain in our country."

"Well that's interesting and all, but why help now?"

"Because I decided to stand up to my father... a little late I know. Hopefully though it isn't too late."

"Well I tell you what, if we live through this then it wasn't too late."

"Alright well let's try to find a way to end this fight... if we continue like this we aren't going to make it."

"Yeah well it's hard fighting them off when they're faster than us."

"I have a plan but in order to pull this off we need to order a retreat."

"Before I even begin to agree to hear this plan out why a retreat?"

"Because right now they are too focused. If we use distraction techniques like our entrance we can catch them off guard and pick them off one by one."

"This better work... if we fall here, then Rainbow Dash won't succeed and this will all be for nothing."

"I promise this will work... just follow my lead." He screeched loudly as he flew into the sky above and with that call the griffins began fleeing into the woods.

Spitfire neighed loudly and signaled a retreat and the ponies followed the griffins into the cover of the woods.

____________________________________________________________

King Dragunda was nearing completion of his ritual when he heard the death screams of fellow Draconians. "It seems the last of my guards are finally destroyed... now it's up to fate to decide if I am indeed the chosen one or if my kingdom falls because of my decision."

He kept absorbing the soul of the deceased Pildragus as the seconds passed by. The force of the soul was straining his body and Dragunda was feeling very weak. He tried not screaming out in pain but his nerves were flaring and he unwittingly let out a loud roar that gave away his position. "No I am so close!"

He heard the noises of the intruders growing louder and hoped his door would hold off the ponies. He made sure the room he had locked himself in had great protection from invaders. He could hear the voices of ponies outside his door and wondered if they had what it took to break in.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash grumbled in frustration. "Damn it... if we use the last shell to break down the door we will have nothing to use on Dragunda... But it seems we have no choice... we will just have to hope we can take him out ourselves. Alright, Pinkie, AJ, let's do this!"

Pinkie Pie got the death machine in position and Applejack launched the last shell at the door that kept Dragunda in and them out. "It's a direct hit," Applejack yelled as the final shell collided with the door. Luckily for them they were far enough from the door to avoid the force of the explosion but weren't immune to the smoke that was quickly filling the hallway.

Rainbow Dash felt a shiver rush through her body as something on the other side of the wall of smoke was calling out something inside her. "What’s this strange feeling... let's go in we have to end this now!"

Pinkie Pie and Applejack flew in with Rainbow Dash. The place they broke into was filled with all kinds of artifacts lined along the shadowed walls, and in the center was a glowing orb.

A loud chuckle could be heard as they all looked around. The chuckle grew louder and the menacing being behind it said something that broke the morale of the ponies in the room. "You're too late... I’m already ... a god!"

Author's Note:

The next chapter will be the epic finale. Sorry for the delays in between chapters but the editor I started this last fic of the series with has been busy and I said I would let him edit. Fear not the final chapter will finally end this crazy ride and the destiny of Rainbow Dash will be revealed.