• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 2,172 Views, 115 Comments

Wub-Hate - PurpleFire18



Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights are bitter rivals, each one at each other's throat, a secret to nopony. However, a certain cellist knows that there is something else hidden behind the hatred, unfortunately she seems to be the only pony who knows.

  • ...
3
 115
 2,172

Life with Buddies

"Neon, are you ready?" Octavia asked as she opened the door.

The unicorn DJ had been rearranging some things in his new room in Octavia's house when he heard her voice. "Just a minute, Octavia!" Using his magic, he placed the same poster of the fateful night that he had above his bed, above his new bed.

Octavia raised an eyebrow and looked at the poster. She was still confused about it, and it was clearly seen in her expression. "Neon?" she began. "Why do you have that poster? I thought both of you hated what happened that night."

Neon looked down for a second, but quickly shrugged it off and smiled. "No reason, I guess!" Before Octavia could continue asking, he turned and walked to the door. "Well, I'm ready now!" he said.

Octavia shook her head and walked out of the room, leading Neon to the living room, where Vinyl was waiting for them with three glasses of juice and what seemed to be a long list. Once Octavia and Neon took their seats, Octavia took the list and cleared her throat.

"Dude, get ready!" Vinyl whispered to Neon as she waited for Octavia to speak.

"Neon Lights, since you will be living with us until you can safely return to your house, you should know some of the rules of this house." Octavia covered her face from the view of her friends with the long paper. "Number one. Who cooks is decided by a weekly rotation. Right now it's Vinyl's turn, and after this week, it will be your turn."

"Fair enough," Neon commented.

"Number two. Inviting any guests to the house is allowed but you must tell us at least twelve hours in advance."

"...Alright?" Neon said, slightly amused at the level of precision.

"Number three. If there are no concerts or gigs or recitals or any sort of performance that night, friday night is movie night. Like with cooking, who picks the movie is a weekly rotation. You cannot opt out of this event unless you are sick."

Vinyl whispered to Neon again, with a mischievous tone. "But you CAN fall asleep during the movie if you don't like it, as long as you wear your shades and you don't snore."

"Number four. Vinyl's parents, Hoity Toity and Photo Finish, invite us to dinner at their mansion every month. Whatever plans you may have at the time must be cancelled, because when they invite us, we ALL go."

Vinyl silently giggled. "Or else you will suffah!" she said in a quiet tone, just loud enough so that Neon heard her. "No, dude, seriously. You don't go and they will make you go through the worst pain you can imagine."

Neon gulped. "They'll send their bodyguards to beat me up?"

"Worse!" Vinyl replied. "My dad will make you wear Octavia-level clothes and my mom will take pictures."

Neon gasped. "They would do that?"

Octavia nodded and pointed at the wall. More precisely, at a picture on the wall depicting Vinyl wearing a dress that might have been fashionable hundreds of years ago.

Neon gasped in terror and nearly fell off his chair. "The horror..."

Octavia giggled and kept going with the rules. "Number five. ALL music is to be kept at REASONABLE levels!" she said rather aggressively.

"But you can totally blast it when she's not around," Vinyl added.

"Number six. All-" Octavia stopped before reading the next word. "...No, no, this rule is not for Neon."

Neon looked at Vinyl. "What rule is that?"

Vinyl laughed and looked at him with a huge grin. "Hugs and Cuddles."

Neon blushed and shook his head. "Yeah, yeah, not for me, move on."

"Number seven. Due to the possible risk of deafness, I will not attend your performances, but you have to attend mine if you are free."

"HYPOCRITE!" Vinyl shouted jokingly.

"Vinyl, there's no risk when going to my performances!" Octavia countered.

"Yeah there are! There's the risk of dislocating your jaw by yawning a lot!"

Neon couldn't help but laugh, though he quickly went back to being somewhat serious. "But Octavia, you have been going to our gigs for days without problems! I even saw you bobbing your head during one!"

Octavia gasped and got defensive, glaring at her friends while speaking nervously. "No! I HATE your music!"

"You can run from it, but you can't hide from it, Octy," Vinyl said triumphantly.

"Vinyl, retract yourself!" Octavia got closer to her best friend with a look that burned like the sun. "Or I will-"

Before she could continue, Octavia was assaulted by a hug from Vinyl, accompanied by a quick, playful kiss on the lips. Such a sight would have been more than enough to get Neon to fall off his chair, but the shock of it made him hold still. He watched, completely dumbfounded before Vinyl let Octavia go with a huge grin.

Octavia simply put a hoof on her lips and spoke with a tone that was the opposite of the one she had prior to the assault. "Well, let's move on."

Neon's jaw would have touched the floor if biology would have allowed it. When Vinyl looked at him, he was quick to speak. "I thought you both were into stallions!"

"And we are!" Vinyl replied, smiling. "I just do that to scare her wrath off."

"....And she lets you?!"

"YUP!" Vinyl said before giggling. "Friends do that!"

Neon quickly looked at Octavia and gestured for her to continue with the list.

------

Princess Luna's moon shone in the sky as the three musical ponies brushed their teeth in their now shared bathroom. While normally Octavia didn't mind being the pony to brush her teeth while holding the brush with her hooves, having two unicorns do it with magic made her feel somewhat unique, but not in the good way.

After spitting out, Neon looked at his friends. "You know, I think I need to ask...Are you guys....Together?"

"We live together, duh!" Vinyl said.

"No, no, I mean...Are you...TOGETHER together?" Neon repeated.

"Neon, please!" Octavia replied with a laugh. "We are just really close friends!"

"But she KISSED you! In the LIPS!" Neon countered.

"It's just a joke between friends!" Octavia repeated.

"My my, Neon, are you jelly?" Vinyl asked with a smirk.

"What? No, I just think that some ponies might easily misinterpret that as you both being a couple," Neon replied. He spoke the truth, but his friends' expressions made it clear that they didn't believe him. "...Really!"

"Oh, poor Neon." Vinyl approached him. "Here, let me help you with that."

Before Neon could protest, Vinyl kissed him on the cheek, making heat rise to his face and his eyes open wide. After the act, Vinyl giggled and walked away like if nothing had happened, hiding the pale red shade on her cheeks. Unknown to her, Neon could not move, the shock being too much for him to handle.

Octavia laughed and gave Neon a pat on the back. "Good night, Neon." She walked out of the bathroom, leaving Neon alone.

Neon didn't move for a while, and when he did, he simply walked back to his new room to sleep there for the first time, but during the entire walk he had the same blushing, shocked expression he had when Vinyl kissed his cheek. The same expression remained when he lied down on the bed and turned off the lights. He just lied on his bed, looking at the ceiling, the kiss still fresh in his memory. Just before he closed his eyes to sleep, his mouth formed a smile, but he wasn't entirely sure why, nor did he have time to think about it before he went into Princess Luna's realm.