• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 2,172 Views, 115 Comments

Wub-Hate - PurpleFire18



Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights are bitter rivals, each one at each other's throat, a secret to nopony. However, a certain cellist knows that there is something else hidden behind the hatred, unfortunately she seems to be the only pony who knows.

  • ...
3
 115
 2,172

Ready to meet the family?

"I must remain calm to avoid losing my sanity..." Octavia muttered to herself.

She had a good reason to, for she was sitting right in the middle of a musical crossfire between her two best friends. On one side of the room, behind her turntable, was Vinyl Scratch, with her wild, loud and crazy music. On the other side of the room, behind his own turntable, was Neon Lights, with a less wild, less crazy but even louder music. It all began with a crazy attempt to combine their styles and see which one was strong enough to be recognizable above the other. It was a good idea that Octavia supported...Right until they made her play the part of the audience.

"Yo, Octy! Would you say I beat this dude?!" Vinyl shouted, barely audible thanks to the massive Wub War.

"Octavia, mine is better, right?!" Neon shouted, again barely audible.

Octavia simply sat where she was, her eye twitching in sync with the wubs. Maybe it was so subtle that her friends couldn't notice, or maybe it was her friends being too busy with their music to notice, but neither DJ bothered to pause to ask if she was alright. "I must...remain calm...to avoid losing my sanity..." she repeated.

At that moment something crashed through the window, interrupting the musical battle and crash landing right next to Octavia. It was a young grey pegasus mare with blonde mane and gold misaligned eyes, wearing a mailpony's clothes and with a mailbag hanging from her waist.

Upon seeing her, Octavia sighed and looked down. "Too late..." she said to herself.

"Oh my gosh, Derpy!" Vinyl said, jumping over her turntable and running to the mailmare's aid. "Derpy, are you ok? Say something if you are!"

Derpy shook her head, the landing having left her dizzy. "Something if you are!" she said, putting on a smile.

Vinyl sighed in relief as Neon and Octavia approached Derpy, who began to look into her mailbag. "You know her?" Neon asked, not recognizing the pegasus.

"Of course we know her, she's an old friend, and our favorite mailmare, Derpy Hooves," Octavia replied. She looked at Derpy, concerned. "Did you hurt yourself, Derpy?"

"Nope! The floor softened my fall!" the pegasus happily replied.

"Why did you fall anyway?" Neon asked.

"There was this huge disturbance in the air, like the sound of of a sonic blast, and it made me lose balance!" Derpy said, not entirely knowing what she was saying. Octavia looked at her two friends with a look of disapproval, and they understood quickly, but before they had the chance to apologize, Derpy took a letter and gave it to them. "I brought you a letter!"

Octavia took the letter while Vinyl pointed at the fridge. "You know where to find 'em, girl!" Vinyl said.

Derpy squealed and flew to the fridge, opening it and taking a muffin from it. "Thank you so much!" she said before devouring the muffin in one big bite.

Neon simply looked at the mare devouring the muffin, confused. "...Does she get free access to the fridge or something?" he asked.

Vinyl laughed. "That's her tip. Screw bits, she wants muffins!"

Octavia cleared her throat. "Oh, Vinyl!" she said in a sing song voice, extending the length of the name.

Vinyl knew that tone, and knew she wasn't going to like what came next. "W-What is it, Octy?"

"This is a letter from your parents!" Octavia said with a smirk. "It is THAT time of the month."

Vinyl gasped. "Has it been a month already?!"

"A month for what?" Neon asked.

"Yes, and it is tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?!" Vinyl asked with greater shock.

"What? What's tomorrow?"

Octavia smiled before answering. "Mr. Hoity Toity and Mrs. Photo Finish are inviting us to their mansion tomorrow!"

Neon's face fell and his eye began to twitch. "...As in...Tomorrow tomorrow?"

Vinyl nodded. "And we have to go, all three of us...or you know what will happen," she said as she pointed to the horrifying picture of herself in an old dress.

Neon almost screamed, but he didn't need to. That honor went to Derpy who happened to look at the picture before leaving.

***

Early in the morning, the three musical ponies walked in Canterlot towards the home of Hoity Toity and Photo Finish, a mansion in the eastern part of Canterlot. Vinyl walked calmly, wearing her shades as always, Octavia walked with her cello case on her back, in case the parents of her best friend wanted her to perform like they often did. Neon, however, walked nervously, not just because they walked in Canterlot out in the open where angry fans could see him, they did choose early morning to avoid that precisely, but also because he was about to talk with the parents of who was once his hated rival, who undoubtedly must have told them about their fights. Were they going to show contempt? Were they going to welcome him with a second chance? Were they going to make fun of his fashion sense? Before he could think of any more questions, the ponies arrived at the front door, making Neon swallow nervously.

Vinyl was the one to ring the doorbell. As she waited for somepony to open the door, she turned to Neon and gave him a piece of advice. "Dude, don't be afraid. They're not mean parents, they are cool parents, and as long as you don't do strange stuff or question what they say, you'll be quite safe. Let me handle them until they wanna speak with you."

Neon only nodded quickly in response. The door opened and cold sweat began to form on his head.

"Who is it?" A white unicorn with blue eyes, an earring and a red mane that was very similar to Vinyl's said as he opened the door. He seemed older than the ponies in front of him, but still in his young adulthood.

Vinyl's ears perked up as she heard his voice and a wide smile formed on her face as she turned around. "NO WAY!" she said as she took off her glasses. "Long Play! It's you!"

"By Celestia's mane! Vinyl!" the stallion said with an equally wide smile. "It's been AGES!"

Both white unicorns hugged, making Octavia smile and Neon raise a brow, confused. Vinyl broke the hug and looked at her friends, still with a smile. "Long Play, you remember Octy, right?"

Long Play smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Well, of course I remember Octavia!" He held Octavia's hoof and kissed it softly. "Always a pleasure to see you," he said in a flirtatious tone, looking at Octavia's eyes.

Octavia giggled, flattered by Long Play's words. "Oh, stop it, Long Play, you are making me blush."

"Maybe that's the point," Long Play replied. He let her go and looked at the third guest...His expression changed instantly upon seeing him. "...And just what is this loser doing here?"

"Easy there, Long Play, Neon's with us," Vinyl said, subtly trying to get between both stallions. "Right Neon?"

"W-Well, yes, of course!" Neon said, nervous and intimidated by Long Play's attitude, not to mention his bulkier body and forelegs that could crush him to dust.

"Really now? Last time I saw him, he was calling my cousin a 'blue-maned b-word' and saying that his music was nine thousand and one times better than hers..." Long Play said with a bit of venom.

"Oh, you're her cousin...Hehe...Nice to meet you?" Neon said as he offered a hoofshake, an action met with a glare from the stallion.

Vinyl nodded, attempting to calm Long Play down. "Hey, dude, it's alright! Neon and I are friends now, honest! We realized it was all just a big misunderstanding."

"Vinyl's tale rings true," Octavia said. "They were just victims of their money-hungry agents. I helped them make up and start over."

Long Play eyed Neon suspiciously before shaking his hoof and smiling a bit. "Well, in that case, welcome."

Neon sighed in relief, almost in sync with the two mares. "Thank you."

"So, where's my mom and dad?" Vinyl asked.

"Oh, they are in the garden, doing their morning walk thingy," Long Play replied.

"Awesome." Vinyl began walking, followed closely by Octavia.

Neon was about to walk after them when Long Play stood in front of him and glared at him, both of their faces pressed against each other as Long Play held him by his convenient tie. "W-what gives?"

"Listen here, 'MC W1SH'. You're off the hook for now, but I've got my eye on ya, you hear me? If you do anything that hurts my little cousin, I'm going to beat you up so badly you're gonna wish you stayed in Ponyville, you got that?" Long Play said in a quiet, but clearly aggressive tone.

Neon gulped and nodded in fear. "Y-yes sir!"

"Good..." Long Play let him go and walked after the mares, who did not notice the threat.

Neon shook his head and walked after the group, already regretting coming to the mansion, but he wasn't going to back down now. All he had to do now was make a good impression on Vinyl's parents.

Author's Note:

After many problems with writer's block, here's an update! Next chapter's going to come as quickly as possible.
Also, yes, Long Play's the stallion from that part in the comic books, I made him Vinyl's cousin here.