• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 2,172 Views, 115 Comments

Wub-Hate - PurpleFire18



Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights are bitter rivals, each one at each other's throat, a secret to nopony. However, a certain cellist knows that there is something else hidden behind the hatred, unfortunately she seems to be the only pony who knows.

  • ...
3
 115
 2,172

Scratch that

Emulating the protagonist from one of her favorite games, Octavia began analyzing any clues she could find in Neon's house. However, unlike said protagonist, she did not possess a sight that told her where clues were, so she had to search anything that looked even remotely relevant. She found nothing in the living room, kitchen nor backyard, which meant that if any clues were in the house, they would definitely be in Neon's room.

She asked for the Princesses' forgiveness for what had to be the fourth time and went into Neon's room. Thankfully, his habit of leaving his own room unlocked was intact since high school. It was the second time she entered one of her DJ friends' room, and also the second time she was surprised, as Neon's room was perhaps even cleaner than Vinyl's. Octavia took a time to absorb that and began looking for any clues, finding some records, posters, framed pictures and toy figures. She almost facehooved at how similar the two hated rivals were in taste, but noticed some differences as well. While Vinyl had a Neon figure, Neon did not have one of Vinyl, and Vinyl did not have a certain poster Neon did have right above the bed. She took a closer look, noting the poster had silhouettes of two ponies and the names "MC W1SH" and "DJ PON-3". Aside from their shades, the only colored part of their silhouettes, it was impossible to tell who the DJs were, well, at least from a normal pony's point of view from four years ago, the date of the concert the poster advertised. Octavia concluded that was the concert Neon mentioned in his story, the one that had apparently started everything, and took a mental note of the date.

Believing she had found everything worth something in the house, Octavia left everything as she had found it and left the house. She began walking home, wondering what she was going to do next. She had heard all she was going to hear from Neon, and had found out all she was going to find out about him as well, so the next step was logically to confront Vinyl. Now that was a daunting challenge, when asking Neon, Octavia did not have much to lose, if Neon got mad at her they would have made up eventually, but Vinyl was like her sister, a rather immature and wild sister perhaps, but she would never be able to deal with Vinyl hating her as well. She intentionally delayed her return home as much as she could to come up with a way to confront her beloved best friend without sparking any conflict, ideas coming and going with every step she took. She soon found herself in front of her house after two hours of planning, and after taking in a few deep breaths, opened the door.

Unfortunately, her roommate had taken advantage of her absence to blast her music at extreme levels of volume, making Octavia nearly faint upon walking in, and also made her wonder why she didn't hear it from outside. "VINYL!" Octavia shouted, hoping her friend would hear her. Her prayers were answered as the wubs stopped shortly afterwards, with Vinyl running into the hallway.

"Octy! You're back!" Vinyl said cheerfully as she jumped and hugged her friend.

Octavia was almost crushed by the hug, but managed to speak clearly. "I was only gone for three and a half hours..."

"Three and a half painful hours!" Vinyl said before hugging tighter. "Don't ever leave me again!" she added in an overly dramatic tone.

Octavia rolled her eyes. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you are in love with me, Vinyl," she joked.

Vinyl broke the hug to laugh. "Oh please, Octavia, even if I was into mares, you'd be the last mare I'd ever think of that way!"

Octavia raised an eyebrow. "...Should I feel insulted?" she asked.

"Nah." Vinyl playfully and weakly slapped Octavia's cheek. "So, how did your thing go?"

"Oh, I think it was very productive!" Octavia began walking with her friend. "I noticed some of your fans arguing with Neon's out in the streets," she said, hoping to eventually get to her question.

"Cool! Did they win?" Vinyl asked with an expectant smile.

"...I wasn't paying attention."

"Awww!" Vinyl looked down.

"I wanted to ask you something, Vinyl." Octavia stopped walking and looked at her with concerned eyes, which made Vinyl feel worried, precisely what Octavia wanted. "...What happened between you and Neon? We were friends once, all three of us, why do you two hate each other now?"

Vinyl had to restrain herself from getting angry, barely managing. "...You wanna know, huh?"

Octavia nodded. "I just want to know why, nothing else. If you do not want to talk about it, I will understand."

Vinyl thought for a second and smiled. "Alright, I'll tell you...But first, are you braced? You should be braced for this."

Octavia offered a smile. "Yes, Vinyl, I am braced."

Vinyl took off her shades and turned around to place them on the table. "Good, good...but are you sitting down? Because you should not be in a comfortable fainting position!"

Octavia's smile began to leave her at the nature of Vinyl's attempts to delay her answer. "...Vinyl, I am standing right here."

Vinyl nodded. "Good, good...but are you pregnant? Because you should not be preg-"

Octavia finally lost her patience. "Vinyl, just tell me already!" she shouted.

"Woah! Geez! Alright, no need to yell at me! You could at least tell me you're gonna have mood swings," Vinyl said, joking.

Octavia rolled her eyes. "Vinyl, you have mood swings more often than me."

Vinyl seemed to be shocked, only for a second, then began laughing. After ten seconds of laughing, she switched to what sounded like crying for another ten seconds, then went back to laughing, and so on until Octavia grabbed her and shook her.

"Just tell me already you blue-maned freak!"

Vinyl finally seemed to stop and sighed. "Fine..." She motioned for them both to sit at the couch as she began her story. "So, when you went to Manehattan, me and Neon went our separate ways too. We didn't talk as we worked our way to fame, not because we didn't want to, but because we had no time. So, well, we both got like really famous and got called to this concert in town for a face off, but my agent didn't tell me who 'MC W1SH' was. We had sort of like an interview at a radio before the concert, both of us on the phone and exchanging some challenging insults. Y'know, sort of like, for the sake of competition. Then, at the concert, we finally got to see each other, and I was shocked. I mean, that guy there was my best friend AND my competition? I just couldn't believe it. Concert went fine, no problems...They came afterwards." Vinyl began to have tears in her eyes. "Right after the concert, we found each other at the exit. I was going to congratulate him and catch up, but he...He began insulting me! He called me things like...like...!" Vinyl began to cry, prompting Octavia to hug her, something Vinyl returned in tears. "...That son of...That's what happened Octy! That's why I hate him and you should, too!"

Octavia simply tried to comfort Vinyl as best she could, offering her her favorite snacks and letting her blast her music while she stayed in her room with something to help cover her ears. Once that was taken care of, Octavia began to piece things together. She had heard both versions of the story, but it didn't add up at all. Vinyl's story was more detailed, and she knew it was true since Vinyl, as good as she was at acting, could never fake tears, but Neon's seemed true as well, she could tell Neon's anger was sincere from his reactions. Were they both telling the truth? Perhaps both of them left out a detail?

Octavia was not as close to solving the mystery as she would have liked, but did find something else in her clues. They both seemed to hate each other, but Neon did get his anger out of control when talking about what Vinyl did to him, and Vinyl began to cry when talking about what Neon did to her. Vinyl had also bothered to buy a figure of Neon, and Octavia couldn't help but wonder if the figure being placed away from her collection indicated something. Neon, on his part, had a poster of that eventful concert right above his bed, when even the most famous musicians did not bother to keep souvenirs of their concerts, much less place them in their rooms. The more she thought about this, the more Octavia believed that there was something deeper about them...And she had to find out what.