• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 2,172 Views, 115 Comments

Wub-Hate - PurpleFire18



Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights are bitter rivals, each one at each other's throat, a secret to nopony. However, a certain cellist knows that there is something else hidden behind the hatred, unfortunately she seems to be the only pony who knows.

  • ...
3
 115
 2,172

Lights out

Octavia, always the sun lover, woke up before Vinyl did, but this time she did not do so to prepare breakfast. This time her intent was to sneak out of the house without Vinyl asking her where she was going so early. She hated it, but she could never lie to her friends, and she thanked the Princesses Vinyl was not going to ask if she read her diary. Before leaving the house, Octavia left a note with a very elaborate excuse as to her absence, along with instructions on how to make the lunch they had agreed Octavia would make that day in the case Octavia wouldn't return in time. That taken care of, Octavia opened the door and left her home to go out into the streets of Canterlot.

The morning sun gave Canterlot a nice warm feeling that Octavia simply loved as she calmly trotted down the streets, looking happily at the houses and ponies who began going out. A couple of her admirers waved at her as she passed by them, and she smiled at them in return, knowing that a musician like her must always be grateful to her fans instead of ignoring them like some others she knew did. She managed to see a couple posters on a wall, one of them being of Vinyl and the other one of Neon, and as expected, there were a couple fans arguing about how their idol was cooler than the other. She was used to seeing that by now, but this time she was actually cringing, since her goal was now to find out where the hate came from.

After what must have been at most an hour of walking and stopping to look at the scenery, Octavia reached her destination, a nice but simple house in the other side of Canterlot, also one of the few gifted with a comfortable backyard. Octavia wondered why Neon wanted one, he was never the plant lover, always saying that was "Earth pony stuff", which often made her laugh.

She knocked on the door and called out. "Neon Lights? It is me, Octavia!" She waited patiently, but there was no answer. She called again, believing he must have gone to bed late last night, but there was no answer. She was intrigued and looked inside through the windows, noticing that the house definitely wasn't empty if the position of the couch's cushions and the muted TV were any indication. "Well, this is new," she said to herself, resolving to take out her cellphone and call him, stopping just before making the call. As if an idea struck her, she walked to the backyard, easily accessible through the left side of the house.

She found nothing but grass and surprisingly nice flowers at first sight, but closer inspection allowed her to see a table near the backdoor of the house, right behind some bushes from Octavia's point of view. What surprised her was the sight of a pair of small chocolate ponies on top of the table, a blue magical aura around them moving them.

"Man, it is nice to live in Canterlot, wouldn't you agree?" a high pitched male voice said, coming from the table.

"Wait, what is that?" a deep male voice said as loud stomps were heard.

"Oh no! It's Neonzilla! Run for your chocolate life!" the high pitched voice said as the stomps became louder.

Soon, teal-colored hooves got on the table, followed by Neon Lights, who dramatically surfaced from under the table and looked at the chocolate ponies with crazy eyes. He licked his lips and roared, or so he believed, and mercilessly devoured one of the poor chocolate ponies. Before he got the other one into his mouth, he noticed out of the corner of his eye that there was somepony else in the backyard. Slowly looking at the bushes, he saw that Octavia was standing right behind them, and the amused look on her face clearly told him that she had just seen his little movie monster impression.

Octavia was about to giggle but attempted to cover her mouth with a hoof as Neon felt like he had just been through the worst embarrassment of his life. Just before Neon could say something, Octavia waved her hoof at him before she spoke herself. "Before you attempt to defend yourself, this is not the stupidest thing I have caught you doing," Octavia said before finally letting her laughter out.

Neon could only smile awkwardly. "...Yeah...Celestia forbid you forget that other thing..." Neon quickly put the surviving chocolate away and put on his shades. "Yeah, so, what brings you here, Octavia?" he asked, trying to act like if nothing happened.

"I simply thought I'd pay you a visit. No crime in visiting a good friend, right?" Octavia smiled, hiding her true intentions.

"Yeah, guess it isn't unusual. Hey, you have breakfast already?"

Octavia, as always, could not lie to her friends when confronted with a direct question. "Oh, no, I have not...Would you be willing to let me eat here?" she said with poorly hidden shame.

"Need you ask? Of course!" Neon smiled and opened the door for her. "After you."

Octavia smiled and walked into the house, Neon following shortly after. He led her to the kitchen where she sat down as he gladly made some extra breakfast for her. As he cooked, Octavia wondered how best to ask him about Vinyl. She knew every mention of her made Neon go mad, and she wanted to find out why as soon as possible, but without the risk of losing her two best friends.

When her breakfast, buttered toast with coffee, was in front of her, Octavia believed she had reached a good idea. She looked at Neon and talked in the friendliest tone possible. "Neon, I have been wondering...What exactly happened between you and Vinyl that made you hate each other so much?" As she expected, Neon frowned instantly, but she continued. "If I am going to have more episodes like the other day happening around me, I'd like to know why..."

Neon took off his shades, revealing his hatred-filled glare that seemed to pierce into Octavia's soul. "Why don't you go ask Vinyl?! See if her lies can give you an idea!" he said aggressively, slamming his hoof against the table. It only took the cellist mare's scared look to start to calm him down. "...I'm sorry Octavia...I, I would never yell at you, I'm sorry...I just hate her so much that..." he said, feeling like an idiot for letting his issues with Vinyl get in the way of his friendship with Octavia.

Octavia put a hoof on his shoulder, comforting him. "...It is quite alright, Neon...If you do not want to talk about her, then we won't." She hated to admit it, but she often put her friends' comfort above her goals, perhaps too often.

"...No, Octavia...I'll tell you...I feel like you need to know anyway..." Neon sighed and looked at Octavia, making sure she would listen. "...It all started right after our graduation. During the time you tried luck in Manehattan, me and Vinyl stayed in Ponyville. We both got jobs on competing radio stations, and we eventually became famous. We stopped talking after a while, nothing happened yet. One night...One night we were called for this concert, a face off. Some insults were thrown, as you can imagine...But Vinyl kept insulting me even after the face off, calling me worse things than those bullies in high school! Imagine having somepony who once was your friend insulting you like that!" Neon stopped to control his rage. "She never asked for forgiveness, and so I never forgave her. And truthfully, I don't think I ever will...She can go jump off Canterlot and into Ponyville for all I care..." he added, coldly.

Octavia was surprised, and that was an understatement. Neon's tale did seem honest, but something did not add up. "...I...I am sorry, Neon. I never thought Vinyl would act like that..." she said.

"She's just a heartless fame-seeking girl, Octavia. If you ask her, she'll just give you a false story to protect herself. I'm sorry you're stuck with her..." Neon said, trying to appeal to Octavia's possible feelings for Vinyl's wild lifestyle.

Now Octavia knew something was wrong. Vinyl could be many things, lazy, disorganized, messy, wild, unreliable, childish, immature, inconsiderate, a prankster, etc. But she was certainly not a heartless fame-seeking girl, as Neon put it. Octavia was sure of that, she knew Vinyl very well.

"...But well, I guess you are strong for dealing with that and not going crazy." Neon smiled.

"...Yes, you can say that." Octavia faked a smile. "You get used to it."

"If you say so." Neon heard his phone ringing and answered it. "Hello? ...Now? Yes, yes, I know. I know! Look, I'll get there as fast as I can, ok!? Oh stop bothering me!" Neon put his cellphone down, however the caller's voice, and his fast talking, was still heard. "Sorry, my agent's thinking he can control my life and all." He hung up, believing it would end his agent's scolding, but it did not. To Neon and Octavia's surprise, the agent was still talking even though the call was supposed to be over. Neon awkwardly smiled as he tried to turn off the phone, but the call prevented him from doing so. ".....Well! He has to get tired eventually!" he said, faking optimism, and threw the phone against the couch.

"That...was strange." Octavia shrugged the recent event off. "What did he want?"

"I'm gonna have to leave, Octavia. My interview is going to happen two hours earlier, sorry," Neon said, slightly angered because of his sudden schedule change. "It's like they don't think i have a life!"

"Most agents are like that, Neon, don't worry about him." Octavia smiled, but quickly stopped. "Well, I believe I will leave as well, I have things to do, too."

"Then I'll accompany you to the door!" Neon said cheerfully. "Let's go! Don't worry about the plate, I'll clean it later."

Octavia nodded and silently thanked him. Neon left to get his cellphone and try to figure out just what happened with it, and Octavia took advantage of the situation to silently unlock the back door, for she was going to use it later.

Neon did not see her nor suspect anything and led her out of the house. They happily bid each other goodbye and went their separate ways. Neon left to the east and Octavia to the west, but unlike him, Octavia simply walked until she made sure Neon was far from the house, and turned around to return to it. She hurried to the backyard and to the unlocked door. It was certainly illegal to go into somepony else's house, but Octavia believed it would be for the greater good. She opened the door, asked for forgiveness from Celestia and walked into the house again, willing to do everything she could to find a way to get her two friends to talk civilly again, even if it meant being intrusive.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry for taking too long with these chapters, but I hope this is worth it.