• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 912 Views, 192 Comments

Canterlot, The Rising Phoenix - InvaderSplorch

  • ...
4
 192
 912

Prologue

One year after the debauchery at Canterlot, the ponies in Equestria continue to piece back their lives, ever hopeful that the terror that befell all of them shall never return again. In order to learn of past mistakes and failures, a new structure was erected near the center of town. Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom were visiting the Library of Natural History, observing its crammed bookshelves and dusty covers. They were currently on a social studies field trip with their teacher, Miss Cheerilee, learning the history of their town, as well as, the incident.


The trio looked around, each in awe at the overwhelming sight of books upon books jutting forth from every nook and cranny within the library. Each shelf had been carefully arranged and maintained, despite the clutter of jammed books on the shelves. In the middle of the museum were two marble statues representing the leaders of Canterlot, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. There were also exhibits showing off great times and harsh events throughout the pristine structure. The floor was made of pure marble which included the stairs leading up to the second floor.

The windows that let in sunlight each shone a different hue of the color spectrum, providing a light show off the ever gleaming floor and walkways. Upon each stained glass was etched a different picture from Ponyville and Canterlot’s past. Different images had been etched into each one, showing the timeline from the foundation of Canterlot all the way to the new Canterlot that sat a distance away, shining its magnificent radiance of sunlight and warmth. One image featured Twilight and her friends defeating Discord using the Elements of Harmony. As the three were in awe of their surroundings, Diamond Tiara spoke.

“Have any of you even seen a library? I mean, it is a library, not a carnival; I guess for Apple Bloom, though, this is a show in itself huh Apple Bloom?”

“It is not!!! I have been to a library before, but this one is different, I mean look around. There are different lights bouncing everywhere! The floor is so shiny and there are so many books! Come on, even you have never seen something like this before!”

“Yea, it is called my house, duh,” Diamond Tiara retorted with a scoff in her voice.

“Why I oughta!-” shouted Sweetie Belle.

“Now, now, this is a library. We have to be quiet and respect the other ponies around us that are currently reading and studying, ok?” asked Miss Cheerilee.

Diamond Tiara and the trio of ponies each nodded their heads as if to say sorry. Miss Cheerilee led the group to a new image on one of the stained glass windows. It showed the Canterlot Castle, ragged and destroyed by the attacks on it one year earlier. Princess Celestia was portrayed as being defeated, and Twilight Sparkle herself standing in the way between Ponyville and the villains that threatened to bring down all of Equestria. The villains featured Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Queen Chrysalis, each one with hatred and a fierce loathing of all breathing beings in their eyes.

Next to them was another pony, a male unicorn, grinning from side to side with his head tilted slightly to the right. His coat was all black and on his right flank was a completely black filled circle, with a white outlining enclosing it. His mane was ragged and torn, hair protruding from all over his head. His horn shown a dull green that lightly illuminated Queen Chrysalis’s face. All of the children now gathered around Miss Cheerilee and stared at the ominous picture before them.

“Now, children, what do you all suppose this is?” she asked.

“Is it the fall of Canterlot?” responded Sweetie Belle.

“Correct!” shouted Miss Cheerilee. “Opps, hahaha sorry everypony,” she said with a whisper. “Now then,” she continued in a low voice, “This represents the fall of Canterlot and Ponyville. Today marks the one year anniversary of the destruction of the castle and the terrible reign that followed. All of Equestria almost fell, but due to unforeseen circumstances, the empire was saved, and the whole empire was saved by none other than our very own, Twilight Sparkle. The reason I have brought you all here today is so that we can learn from our mistakes and make a better future for all ponies, near and far. In fact, this day is so important, that Princess Twilight Sparkle herself wants to speak to all of you about the incident.” The children began to become rambunctious, causing Miss Cheerilee to raise one hoof, instantly quieting them down. The main door to the library opened and walking through it was none other than the Alicorn Princess herself, Twilight Sparkle.

“Princess Twilight” was echoed by all the ponies throughout the library, each one bowing their heads out of admiration and respect for the pony who countless times saved Equestria from certain demise. Twilight entered the library only holding a single book with her levitation spell. As she trotted into the library and sat down on the floor beside the window, Spike quickly followed, carrying the standard set of writing parcels. He slowly sat himself besides the other fillies and prepared himself for the upcoming story.

“Now then every pony,” Twilight announced, “This window here shows the fall of Canterlot itself. It does not show Ponyville, the Crystal Empire, or all of Equestria. This is due to the fact of a remarkable thing occurring later on in this story. Canterlot fell quickly and short after, so did Ponyville. The magic of the three ponies and Discord himself were too strong for all of us to handle. On top of that, Queen Chrysalis was gaining immense power from that black unicorn shown here. His name is Yin-Yang, and he himself organized the demise of not only our beloved kingdom, but our homes as well. He led a destructive, tyrannical path, seeking only revenge on Princess Celestia."

“Yin-Yang? What a silly name! Ahahaha!” laughed Scootaloo.

“This is no laughing matter, Scootaloo,” Twilight reprimanded. “He not only gathered the strongest dark magic users on his side, but was able to achieve victory by it as well. Both empires were lost that day and every pony around grew desperate for a miracle. Everyone hoped for an answer to arrive at such short notice. However, their hopes were shattered when Celestia was defeated in the midst of battle. This was a loss, but not the one we encountered in the short future. The loss we suffered that day will haunt my dreams and tear at my soul for every day that I am alive. However, fillies and foals, this is what I thought as the event was unfolding upon itself. Now then, everypony, I do hope I have all of your attention and focus,” Twilight stated, emitting a small smile from her lips. The children all nodded their heads in agreement, each one sitting down on the floor and listening to the tale that would affect every living creature, both big and small.

“Good, I am glad to hear it. Now then,” she continued, “Let us start from the very beginning. The beginning of our greatest enemy, and yet, as it would turn out, our most trusted ally. This tale is about the Fall of Canterlot and the rebirth of it after many days of sorrow and despair. Prepare yourselves for the sad but wondrous tale that is Canterlot, The Rising Phoenix.”