• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 912 Views, 192 Comments

Canterlot, The Rising Phoenix - InvaderSplorch

  • ...
4
 192
 912

Chapter 2: Bringing up the Past

Discord reappeared as a strait jacket, enveloping and squeezing Yang’s body. Yang’s face reflected that of a mood ring as time slowly passed along. Discord continued to laugh as Yang struggled again to escape Discord’s loving embrace.

“Oh, my apologies, Yang,” Discord said. He quickly released Yang from his grasp and set him on the ground, gently patting his head.

“I never did…cough…get used to your affection Discord,” Yang replied as he continued to cough.

“Well, I do sometimes go a bit too far,” Discord replied.

“Hold on, here! How do you know Yang, Discord?” Twilight asked.

“He didn't tell you? Ohohoho, Yang, have you been naughty again? I think you may have been mean for too long. Look at your coat for crying out loud, it is almost completely black. The only white you have showing is at your tail. Look, your “gauge” isn't even at full capacity. Seriously, Yang, have you been neglecting your duties again? You don’t want to be turned to stone, now do you?” Discord said with a mischievous grin.

Twilight observed Yang’s tail and saw that the right half of it was white, while the left half was still black. Yang’s “gauge” showed that a small amount of white had infiltrated the inner black circle, revealing the outline of an “S” in the middle of its small structure. No other changes were out of the ordinary, so Twilight didn't know what to make of this sudden occurrence.

“Why do you know Discord and what happened to your tail?!” Twilight asked angrily.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, my how you have been so nasty lately. Please, tell them, Yang, of all the wondrous moments of our past. So... let the show begin!” Discord stated happily while holding a box of popcorn.

“Well, where do I start?” Yang blurted out.

“How about your relationship with him?!” Twilight yelled, pointing a hoof at Discord as he continued to pop mouthfuls of kernels into his gullet.

“When I first came into this town, he was the first person I ran into and it had been days since I had actual food. I was currently traveling from town to town and was running low on rations and water. As I entered into town, I spotted a lemongrass sandwich vendor close by and immediately purchased the delicious treat. Upon taking a bite though, my jaw became immersed with pain. It seems that my food had been changed into a long red brick," Yang explained, his eyes squinting at Discord.

"Oh, come now, that was a long time ago. Besides, that was a small prank in comparison to what I did to you and Princess Luna," Discord calmly expressed, stuffing more popcorn into his mouth.

"WHAT!?!?!?" Twilight shouted.

"Thanks, Discord. Now I have another problem to deal with," Yang replied.

"Glad I could help. My, all this drama has made me quite parched," he replied.

Discord produced a fountain overflowing with chocolate milk spring forth from the ground. With a snap of his finger, a small hose extending from the fountain to his hand appeared. Attached atop the hose in his hand was a handle that regulated the flow of the brown liquid to his lips.

"Chocolate fountain!!! Mine! ALL MINE!" Pinkie shouted with a guttural voice. She immediately dunked her head in the fountain and began drinking as much as she could.

"Well, that's disturbing," Applejack commented.

"Anyway...after Discord made my jaw hurt, he began to laugh and point his finger at my misery. Before I could respond, I saw two alicorns running towards Discord and I. I could not see who these two were, but you all know them as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Apparently, Discord had put itching powder in Celestia's bedroom sheets, and had made Luna's voice become deep. Discord started to laugh at this as well and, of course, denied that he had anything to do with their condition. In response, I used some of my dark magic to let him have a taste of his own medicine," Yang said.

"My own medicine?! I made you bite a brick. Instead, you made my lower half small and my upper half wide and round! I fell over because of you and couldn't even concentrate on using chaos correctly! I now know what a doughnut feels like because of you!" Discord replied, spitting out all of the liquid in his mouth.

"Well, it seems you deserved it," replied Fluttershy.

"But, that was when I used it for evil. C'mon Fluttershy, that's in the past; I'm good now. I honestly promise you that as long as I remember the kindness you showed to me, I will never go against you. Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a cupcake in my eye," replied Discord with a cupcake literally in his eye socket.

"Ok, Discord, as long as you promise to not use your powers for selfish reasons, I forgive you," Fluttershy acknowledged, giving Discord a big hug.

"Ughhhh, come on already! Enough with the side chats and random events! Discord, be quiet! Pinkie....you're quiet, so keep drinking from that fountain. Yang, spit it out already, I'm soooooooo bored hearing this!" Rainbow Dash wailed, flailing all four of her forelegs on the ground.

"Alright, alright, I'm getting there," Yang assured Dash. "Since Discord was in such an array of distress, both of the princesses thanked me for my hard work and offered me a job in Canterlot. I had been searching from town to town to find work, and now it seemed like my travels weren't in vain! The job seemed simple enough...keep watch over Discord. Boy, I had no clue how much work that was going to be. For the first week, I continued to lose sight of him, I would be continuously humiliated, and worst of all, I was so sleepy. At the end of the week, I fell asleep from pure stress and sleep deprivation.

During my sleep, I heard a voice tell me to 'visit her in the moonlight'. I woke up in an instant and searched everywhere in the city, hoping to know who it was that called out for me. After searching for what seemed like an eternity, I gave up. I just simply walked over to a drawbridge in Canterlot and sat down. I felt depressed that it was just a dream and I had followed it blindly. I cursed myself for believing it to be true. Well...that is until I felt a hoof on my shoulder," Yang replied looking away with a bashful look on his face.

"Then what?!" Rainbow Dash yelled, now becoming intrigued.

"Ah ah ah, Rainbow Dash! A good story teller never tells you everything up front does he?" Yang winked.

"Awww, boooooo!" she replied in a huff.

"Well, Twilight, that's how I met Discord," Yang said.

"Hmmm, if that's true, where have you been?" she responded.

"Well, last thing I remember is Discord being turned to stone for causing Canterlot and the city to fall into chaos. I tried my best to keep watch over him but his magic was too strong for me. I really don't remember anything else," he replied.

"You don't? Hahaha, Yang, my old friend, that happened over a 1,000 years ago," Discord replied with a smug grin on his face.

"A 1,000 years!?" Yang shouted. Yang was shocked and horrified upon hearing this startling news.

"That's right, old chum, it seems you have been gone for that long period of time. Just what were you doing?" Discord asked.

"I really don't remember! The princesses turned you into stone, I collapsed, then...then nothing!" Yang frantically answered.

"Calm down, it's alright," Applejack reassured Yang. "I'm sure there is a good reason you can't remember anything after that."

"Maybe Applejack, but it just doesn't feel right. I think I need some alone time. Please excuse me, will you?" Yang asked, trotting off into the distance.

"Poor 'lil fella," said Applejack.

"I know! How lonely he must feel to be separated from all of his friends and family. When I think about it, it makes me want to cry," said Fluttershy burying her face into Discord's chest.

"Well, I think he needs his space for now; I'm sure we'll see him tomorrow! And when we do, let's make it a wonderful day he soon won't regret! Oh, we'll need Rarity to join us. She does need to meet an old friend of the princesses after all," said Twilight.

All of Twilight's friends shook their heads in agreement, except for Discord, as he watched Yang run off into the distance. Discord squinted his eyes in suspicion as he watched Yang out of Discord's vision. As Twilight and her friends discussed plans for tomorrow, Pinkie decided that they should throw a party for him in celebration of his return. Twilight agreed and trotted off to ask Princess Celestia and Luna to attend the festivities. Discord simply dazed off into the distance pondering why his old friend suddenly returned.

As Yang ran in the distance, he looked back every now and then to make sure no one was following him. After he was sure that he wasn't being followed, he quickly used a teleportation spell on himself. He reappeared in a flash of magic on the boundaries outside of the Everfree Forest. He casually strode into the forest where he encountered two timberwolves, each one growling and snarling at the sudden intrusion.

"Why must people continue to block my way? Move creatures before I set you both aflame!" Yang shouted.

The timberwolves just snarled more intensely and bore their fangs at the threat.

"Have it your way then," he replied. Yang used his magic to summon a black flame that quickly engulfed one of the timberwolves. After a brief moment, the timberwolf turned into a pile of soot. The timberwolf's cohort whined at the death of his friend and quickly retreated into the depths of the forest. After the wolf disappeared, Yang reassembled the pile of soot back into its original timberwolf form.

"Let that be a lesson to you. DO NOT...MESS WITH ME!" he shouted with hatred in his eyes.

The timberwolf quickly whimpered and ran off into the forest to avoid any further trouble with this angered guest.

Yang continued to walk through the thick trees and tall grass of the Everfree Forest. He was searching left and right for something out of the ordinary. He had been in the forest only moments earlier, but now seemed to have forgotten his previous travel. He hunted for clues that would guide him to his hidden treasure. This seemed to drag on for hours as he continued to scan the forest for hints, his vision and scouting methods becoming erratic. He scanned countless trees and observed the ground for hoof prints. After a couple of hours of searching, he found what he was looking for...evidence leading back to his new home. Some of the trees had large red arrows guiding Yang back to his house.

The red paint on the arrows had been diminished, the elements of nature becoming apparent. Yang soon realized how long he had been gone and looked into the dense, thick leaves of the trees above. Yang contemplated on how soon he would be able to cope with this new information Discord had given him. As Yang followed the signs, he noticed two set of hoof prints of the forest floor. One set of prints belonged to Yang himself, while the other set belonged to a visitor he had met recently.

His house was inside of a large and thick hollowed oak tree, with a small opening in the front. It had a window of sorts as it was just an empty hole that was carved out of the tree itself. The living quarters were a poor example of a makeshift house: The bedroom, the kitchen, and the living room were crammed together between two floors in the house. The only way one could reach the second floor was by an old, worn-out staircase, evident by its missing steps and rotting wood. Even though the house was a disaster to fashion and symmetry everywhere, it was still Yang's home. While he gazed upon its weakened structure, he gave a sigh of relief, knowing that he could now rest inside of his home. He knocked his hooves on the thick bark, shaking free any loose soil or other debris that may have been trapped within his hooves. This also signaled his return home as he heard a familiar voice upon entering his small adobe.

"Welcome back, darling. Did you have fun in the town today?" she asked with sarcasm in her tone.

"I learned some important info and some other intriguing news," Yang replied, wiping his feet on a torn rug.

"Why don't you lie down and I'll help you relax, ok?" she answered slyly.

"Sure, my back has been in agony since Discord showed me how much he missed me."

"Discord? I thought he was turned to stone?" she answered, stepping into the evening sunlight.

The light shown brightly on her long teal mane and tail. This reflection of blue light created a serene atmosphere throughout the house. Her blue-green chitinous underbelly scratched Yang as she rested it on top of his head. Her transparent, insect-like wings buzzed with anticipation of her next meal. She wrapped her front forelegs around Yang's neck and loosely held him in an embrace. Her dark green eyes transfixed themselves into Yang's as he slowly raised his head up to look at her. Her elongated oval pupils met his, each one becoming lost in the moment of sweet bliss. Her twisted and jagged horn started to slowly glow an ominous green. Attached to her head was a black crown adorned with three green orbs. Her slender body had coiled around Yang causing him to jerk his head downwards. Her holed out legs were still attached to Yang as he continued to try and contain himself. This enemy of Canterlot was none other than the Pegacorn herself, Queen Chrysalis of the Changelings.