• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 1,665 Views, 65 Comments

Let it Rain - Metool Bard



If somepony gives their love to you, be sure to give it back. Poor Thunderlane is about to learn that the hard way as two mares compete for his attention.

  • ...
7
 65
 1,665

Red Flags

The next day, Cloudchaser was relieved to find that Thunderlane was better than his word. When she arrived at Sugarcube Corner, he was right there waiting for her.

"Hey, CC," said Thunderlane as Cloudchaser landed in front of him. "Listen, sorry again about that mix-up yesterday."

Cloudchaser smiled. "Oh, TL. You don't have to keep apologizing about that," she said sweetly. "Today is apology enough."

Thunderlane chuckled. "I wish more ponies were as understanding as you, CC," he said, opening the door. "Ladies first."

Cloudchaser giggled coyly. "Why thank you, kind sir," she said as she walked on in. Just as Thunderlane closed the door behind him, Pinkie Pie popped up out of nowhere to greet them.

"Hiya, Cloudchaser! Hiya, Thunderlane!" she said in her usual exuberant manner. "Beautiful weather, isn't it? Oh, wait. You two help control the weather, so you knew that already."

Thunderlane and Cloudchaser shared a laugh. "Good to see you too, Pinkie," said Thunderlane. "We'll take a tray of your finest lemon cupcakes to stay."

"Coming right up!" said Pinkie as she bounced off into the kitchen. Thunderlane and Cloudchaser made their way to an unoccupied table and sat down.

"So CC. What's up?" asked Thunderlane.

"Oh, nothing much," said Cloudchaser with a shrug. "I'm taking it easy now that the Academy session is over."

"You're that confident in your abilities, huh?" said Thunderlane, leaning in with interest.

"It's not that," said Cloudchaser with a shake of her head. "I just don't wanna burn myself out, y'know? Let's be real here, Thunderlane. I think anypony would want a grace period after the week we had."

"Yeah, I hear ya," said Thunderlane. "But that doesn't mean we should slack off."

"Yeah, tell that to Rainbow Dash," Cloudchaser scoffed. "I heard from Cloud Kicker that she takes at least ten naps a day."

"I'm, thinking that's an exaggeration," said Thunderlane. "Rainbow Dash earned her place as a Wonderbolt Cadet, CC. We all did."

"I know, I know," said Cloudchaser. "This is the mare who can clear the sky in ten seconds flat we're talking about, after all."

"Yeah," said Thunderlane with a playful laugh.

"Order up!" Pinkie called out, balancing a tray of cupcakes on her tail as she walked out of the kitchen. With expert precision, she did a small jump and propelled the tray right onto Thunderlane and Cloudchaser's table. To their semi-surprise, not even a bit of icing was disturbed from the toss.

"Thanks!" Cloudchaser called out before taking a cupcake in her hoof. "So, what about you, Thunderlane? I would figure that you of all ponies would want to rest up after the Academy."

Thunderlane chuckled and then sighed. "I wish I could, CC. But I think Raindrops needs more training."

Cloudchaser nearly choked on her cupcake. "Wh-what?"

"Oh, yeah. I should probably tell you about yesterday," said Thunderlane. "See, I don't know what happened, but Raindrops just kept messing up for some strange reason."

"R-really?" said Cloudchaser.

"Yeah. She kept crashing into stuff," said Thunderlane. "I don't know why; she never messed up this badly at the Academy. But, I figure it's nothing a little training won't cure."

Cloudchaser chewed on her lip for a moment. "Well, how much training do you think she needs?"

"I dunno," said Thunderlane with a shrug. "We're gonna do some more drills tomorrow afternoon, and I guess we'll just see how it goes from there."

Cloudchaser felt her body tense up all over as she took in a deep breath through her teeth. "TL, d-don't you think that's a little excessive? I mean, maybe Rainy just had a bad day. You know how much of a klutz she can be."

Thunderlane sighed. "Yeah, I know. But she's still my wingpony, CC. That means I gotta look out for her. You'd do the same for Bulk, right?"

"Well, yeah. I guess," said Cloudchaser, twiddling her hooves. "But we're not at the Academy anymore, TL. Surely Raindrops can just train with somepony else."

"I think we both know that it wouldn't be the same, CC," said Thunderlane. "I mean, I guess she could do some training with Rainbow Dash as well. After all, we all flew with her after that punk Lightning Dust was given the boot."

"Well, problem solved then," said Cloudchaser. "Raindrops can train with Rainbow Dash, thus giving you time to relax and unwind. I heard Rainy prefers mares, anyway."

Thunderlane gave Cloudchaser a curious look. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Nothing. Just, something I heard," said Cloudchaser, clearing her throat.

Thunderlane shrugged, and then stroked his chin in thought. "I dunno, CC. You know how Rainbow Dash is always nagging me for slacking off. I don't want her to think I'm just pawning off my responsibility on somepony else. Besides, she has a busy schedule, too."

"Yeah, those naps aren't gonna take themselves," said Cloudchaser, rolling her eyes.

Thunderlane sighed and shook his head. "Look, I know you're worried about me burning myself out, but I can look after myself just fine. I'm not planning on spending every day training with Raindrops or anything. I just wanna make sure she's okay, y'know? There's no 'I' in 'team,' after all."

"R-right, yeah. I-I guess that's true," said Cloudchaser in a strained tone. Although she tried to keep calm, her blood was boiling like a raging inferno. "S-still, though. Don't you think it's weird that Raindrops is messing up like this?"

"Um, yeah. I already said that, CC," said Thunderlane, appearing a bit confused. "That's why we're gonna go through some drills tomorrow and find out what's wrong."

Sweet Celestia, stop acting so dense, Thunderlane! She's trying to flirt with you! Cloudchaser wanted to scream. And we both know that's my job!

"Hey, you okay, CC?" asked Thunderlane. "You seem a bit tense."

"What? No, no, I'm fine! Really!" insisted Cloudchaser.

Thunderlane shrugged. "Okay, if you say so. But if something's bugging you, I'd rather you tell me. We've known each other for a long time, after all. You can trust me."

"I-I know," said Cloudchaser, relaxing a bit. "Th-that's what I like about you, Thunderlane."

Thunderlane nodded and smiled before noticing the position of the sun out the window. His smile suddenly vanished. "Um, CC? Do you have the time?"

"I do!" said Pinkie randomly, looking at her watch. "I've got half past two."

Thunderlane breathed a sigh of relief. "Great. I can still make it," he said, turning back to Cloudchaser. "Sorry to cut this short, CC, but Rainbow Dash is expecting me to bring in some thunderclouds for tonight's storm."

"O-oh, that's fine," said Cloudchaser. "I-I guess I'll see you around then."

"Yeah, seeya later," said Thunderlane. With that, he got up, paid Pinkie for the cupcakes, and walked out the door.

Cloudchaser let out a sigh as she stared at the cupcake tray. "Hey, Pinkie?"

"Yes?"

"Can you wrap these up for me? I've suddenly lost my appetite."

***

"So, how'd it go?" Flitter asked as she heard Cloudchaser come in. Her only response was a slammed door and a frustrated groan. Flitter winced, suddenly regretting her question.

"Well, it's official, Flit," fumed Cloudchaser. "Raindrops is the biggest..."

"Before you continue, I think I should remind you that there are children present," interrupted Flitter, pointing to Rumble and Featherweight looking up from their game expectantly. Cloudchaser blushed and cleared her throat.

"As, I was saying," she said. "Raindrops has just earned the title of the Most Devious Mare in Equestria."

"Let me guess. Thunderlane blew you off again," said Flitter, giving her sister a bemused look.

"Oh, no. No, he didn't," said Cloudchaser. "But all he wanted to talk about was Raindrops. I mean, it was Raindrops this, and Raindrops that, and Raindrops needs more training, and..."

"I get the picture," said Flitter, cutting across Cloudchaser. "So, the big deal is that after training with Raindrops, he talked about Raindrops. Oh dear, it's a sign of Nightmare Moon's return!"

Cloudchaser deadpanned at Flitter's sarcasm. "Perhaps I should rephrase that. See, he said that Raindrops was messing up yesterday, and he wanted to do more training with her to see what was wrong."

Flitter paused to think for a bit. "Okay..." she said with a confused nod.

"You, don't know what that means, do you?"

"I haven't got the slightest clue. Why, should I?"

Cloudchaser sighed and walked over to Flitter, placing a foreleg around her shoulder. "My dear, naïve little sister," she said in a condescending tone. "There is so much you need to learn about the complexities of love."

"Apparently," said Flitter, more than a bit insulted by her sister's attitude. "Would you care to enlighten me?"

"Why, it's obvious, my dear Flitter," said Cloudchaser. "Raindrops is messing up on purpose so that she can spend more time with Thunderlane!"

Flitter blinked. "Huh?"

"What do you mean, 'huh?!'" shouted Cloudchaser. "I saw Raindrops at the Academy! She didn't mess up that much! There is no way she could've forgotten everything she learned in a day! Heck, even Thunderlane thought it was weird!"

"Maybe she just had an off day," said Flitter with a shrug.

"See, that's what she wants me to think," said Cloudchaser. "But she can't fool me. I know she's flirting with Thunderlane and trying to steal him from me!"

"Wouldn't that require having him in the first place?" asked Flitter. "I mean, did he ever say you were his special somepony?"

Cloudchaser gave Flitter another bemused look. "He doesn't need to say it, Flit. We both already know it."

"Okay, if that's true, why are you worried about Raindrops?" said Flitter. "We've known Thunderlane ever since we were foals. I know he'd never hurt you like that."

"Not intentionally," Cloudchaser corrected. "But if Raindrops's scheme comes to fruition, she'll steal his heart from right under my nose."

"You have absolutely no idea how crazy you sound right now, do you?" inquired Flitter.

Cloudchaser laughed. "Oh, Flitter. You really do have a lot to learn," she said, giving her a noogie. "And that is why you're gonna help me win him back."

Flitter stared at Cloudchaser as if she had three heads. "I'm gonna do what now?"

"Just as I said," said Cloudchaser. "Now, there's not much we can do about tomorrow, but I know for a fact that there's a Wonderbolt show coming up soon. So, you'll get a couple of tickets for me and Thunderlane for the show. After that, he'll forget all about Raindrops."

"Uh-huh," said Flitter. "And, pray tell, what will your role be in this master scheme?"

"Why, I'm going to hit the spa, of course!" said Cloudchaser. "I'll get myself a makeover that'll knock Thunderlane's horseshoes off. That, my dear Flitter, is how he'll forget about Raindrops."

"So, in this magical alternate universe you're living in right now, Thunderlane is incredibly shallow and would go for something like that," said Flitter. "Remind me again, why did you fall in love with him?"

"When this is all over, you'll understand," said Cloudchaser with a wink. "Now then, I believe it's my turn to prepare dinner. Whatever you do, don't forget our little discussion."

"Yeah, sure," said Flitter. "Just one more question, though. What makes you think I'll do this for you?"

"Because it'll be good for you," said Cloudchaser. "You'll learn all you need to know about love, and I'll get Thunderlane back. It's a win-win!"

"More like a lose-lose," said Flitter bluntly.

Cloudchaser chuckled and shook her head. "Ah, poor Flitter. So young. So oblivious to the joy that is true love. Oh well, that'll all change once I get Thunderlane back. You'll see~."

With that, she gave Flitter another wink and sauntered into the kitchen. Rumble gave Flitter a perplexed look.

"What was that all about?" he asked.

"I think my sister has gone off the deep end, Rumble," said Flitter with a sigh. "And the worst part is she's dragging me with her."

Rumble tilted his head. "I, still don't get it."

"Neither do I, buddy," said Flitter. "Neither do I."